Hickey - signs for Bologna

communist

Dusk_Till_Dawn

It’s been a peculiar saga all round. Hopefully the option to buy is an outright obligation, otherwise we run the risk of him having a mediocre year in Italy and then coming back at the end of it, value diminished.

Can only assume that in the end offers for him weren’t that plentiful. Interested to see how he gets on.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• Mikey1874

• jamboinglasgow

• OTT

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, McCrae said:

If football  was managed on a more Professional basis you would expect this to be standard practice...but it’s not. 
Who would have thought Barcelona would be paying to Liverpool a fee for Coutinho winning the Champs league with Bayern. Just because his contract stated a fee would be paid on Coutinho winning the Champs league...no mention for which club.

Hopefully the contract we have with Hickey will be open enough to make sure Celtic don’t  benefit as much as they could.

Quite the opposite, if football was run properly then this loophole in a sell-on clause would be closed.  Thankfully in this case it has not.  Probably worth keeping in mind that we all want a sell-on clause inserted with the said same club who we are currently structuring this deal with, we potentially stand to lose a lot more than Celtic.

42 minutes ago, ericb said:

Just remember, its highly likely we will have a sell on fee, so it could happen to us also, but in (hopefully) a much bigger deal.

I actually think the term "sell on fee" is a simplified term for what is in contracts, loan or fee it will be linked to the transfer of registration and Celtic will get their share, small print in contracts will ensure this.

Yeah could well happen to us but only after we -hopefully-pocket €2m . Anything to annoy the grey and green hooped demons is very very pleasing tho 😃

10 hours ago, Jamboj1 said:

Loan fee of 2million is paid which means celtic get nothing as hickey will sign a pre contract on jan 1st with bologna 👍🏻 They would be getting 30% of 0 

But when Bologna give us €2m after the loan period will Celtic still not be due 30%?

7 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

But when Bologna give us €2m after the loan period will Celtic still not be due 30%?

The reasoning seems to be as it’s a loan fee and not a transfer fee, Celtic won’t be entitled to any of it.

They may be due a percentage of his development fee however.

But no ***** really knows shit.

Edited by Whatever

4 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

That, I think, will depend on the terms of the agreement when we signed him.  If the terms related to a future transfer, without specifying loan transactions, then I doubt they would get much, if anything.  We must assume the 2m euros is for the use of the player while under contract with us.

I am starting to wonder if the new Chief Executive is earning his corn already!

9 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Only if the deal we did with Celtic includes a sell-on % for loan fees as well as transfer fees, which I suspect is unlikely. 

Hickey is our player until the end of the season. If we loan him out for a fee it's got feck all to do with that shower of sh1te. 

They'll get a cut of any fee involved once he goes to Bologna but we can sell for any nominal fee we want. 

17 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

No because he is our player for the current season and if we have an agreement to loan him out for £2m then that is between us and Bologna. Nothing to do with Celtic.

If he chooses to sign for Bologna at the  end of his contract then tough titties for Celtic as Hickey will be a free agent and no fee will be involved.

The only issue I can think of might be any sell on fee. Not sure we would be able to get any of that if we have not sold him.

1 minute ago, stuart500 said:

Hickey is our player until the end of the season. If we loan him out for a fee it's got feck all to do with that shower of sh1te. 

They'll get a cut of any fee involved once he goes to Bologna but we can sell for any nominal fee we want. 

Not sure we would be entitled to a fee. If his contract runs out and he can sign for anyone then would it not just be a development fee which would be minimal for us as he was only with us two years.

A_A wehatethehibs

Bologna showed they really wanted him more than anybody else, so you can’t turn that down when a club shows they really want you. They would’ve been in for him irrespective of the length of contract. Will be potentially lining up against Christiano Ronaldo, possibly Messi and many other class players, it’s buzzing for the boy. Good luck to him in Italy. Ability wise he is good enough but that is going to be an unbelievably massive jump in class for him at 17. Going to have to work incredibly hard and be on exceptionally good form to mix it with Italians. Will be watching with great interest, hope his bravery pays off.

As for the fee and technicals, it’s ridiculous for us to ever accept any obligation for a sell on fee when bringing in a player that the old firm is dumping out on his arse, when we’re the team that takes the risk gives him his chance at a career. They are the richest clubs in Scotland, like 2 dragons on the pile of gold, clubs like Hearts or ANY other club in Scotland should never ever be paying the old firm a penny for any player, so don’t want to see this Levein type deal again for a young player. 

Just now, wavydavy said:

Not sure we would be entitled to a fee. If his contract runs out and he can sign for anyone then would it not just be a development fee which would be minimal for us as he was only with us two years.

I think, going on what has been reported, it's a case of, Hickey signs a 1yr extension with us, is then loaned to Bolgna for 1yr with the loan fee being €2m with a minimal fee at the end of the year to actually sign him

August Landmesser
1 minute ago, Gav M said:

I think, going on what has been reported, it's a case of, Hickey signs a 1yr extension with us, is then loaned to Bolgna for 1yr with the loan fee being €2m with a minimal fee at the end of the year to actually sign him

That would be a magnificent (and hilarious) arrangement - hopefully it's true

1 minute ago, Gav M said:

He is our player until the end of the current season and I believe we are loaning him for this season and he will sign permanently for them at the end of it.

Don't know about any extension to his current contract.

2 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

As already said.....any deal that negatively impacts Celtic is good with me....even if it means selling Hickey to ISIS.

I think we are all agreed on that point for sure.

1 minute ago, wavydavy said:

He is our player until the end of the current season and I believe we are loaning him for this season and he will sign permanently for them at the end of it.

Don't know about any extension to his current contract.

no idea, I was just trying to cobble together everything that had been said in 1 coherent post 😂

Just now, Gav M said:

no idea, I was just trying to cobble together everything that had been said in 1 coherent post 😂

One thing I thought of is what if Hickey doesn't like it over in Italy and has a nightmare season and they don't want to sign him at the end of the loan period.

Would they really pay £2m for a one season loan ?

1 minute ago, wavydavy said:

One thing I thought of is what if Hickey doesn't like it over in Italy and has a nightmare season and they don't want to sign him at the end of the loan period.

Would they really pay £2m for a one season loan ?

the deal seems to be an obligation to buy rather than an option to buy, so effectively, they are signing him now but the 1st year would only show on their books as a loan. the Italian clubs seem to do this alot as it gets them round FFP etc.

as I say, I have no idea, I'm just trying to put together a full story based on what has been said/reported

2 minutes ago, Gav M said:

the deal seems to be an obligation to buy rather than an option to buy, so effectively, they are signing him now but the 1st year would only show on their books as a loan. the Italian clubs seem to do this alot as it gets them round FFP etc.

as I say, I have no idea, I'm just trying to put together a full story based on what has been said/reported

👍   None of us know other than the Club what is in the deal. We all hope that whatever is in it will exclude Celtic as much as possible.

27 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

The media will be outraged, as will the clarty mob. So will the Lochend Cockends and Vagillians will be checking things over. Wank. 

Oh and for good measure

:fth:

The thought of Villa doing something similar with McGinn is a delicious prospect. 

40 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

That, I think, will depend on the terms of the agreement when we signed him.  If the terms related to a future transfer, without specifying loan transactions, then I doubt they would get much, if anything.  We must assume the 2m euros is for the use of the player while under contract with us.

I am starting to wonder if the new Chief Executive is earning his corn already!

Cheers Al.

August Landmesser
9 minutes ago, martoon said:

The thought of Villa doing something similar with McGinn is a delicious prospect. 

:sweeet:

33 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

No because he is our player for the current season and if we have an agreement to loan him out for £2m then that is between us and Bologna. Nothing to do with Celtic.

If he chooses to sign for Bologna at the  end of his contract then tough titties for Celtic as Hickey will be a free agent and no fee will be involved.

The only issue I can think of might be any sell on fee. Not sure we would be able to get any of that if we have not sold him.

Stand by for a SFA(Lawwell) fine of £600k.......

Edited by Thomaso

18 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

I think he is having to sign an extended contract with us (acc to DR) to enable the 2 year loan deal to go through and there is an obligation to buy. Therefore, rightly or wrongly, I would view it thus:-

If Bologna notified us near the end of the loan period that they did not wish to exercise their right, or cannot, then we must presume the player is still ours and we offer to extend his contract.  If he refuses to re-sign, he is free to negotiate with other clubs who must pay us a development fee and presumably Celtic will be entitled to a cut of that but not necessarily 30% as it is not a transfer as such.

Alternatively, If Bologna do sign him under the obligation then Celtic get 30% of the fee which could well be of the magnitude of the great Michael Stewart's fee.  I would dearly love that to happen.

Italy does what it does re loan to buy.

But loan fees are common. Don't always happen but a £2 or 3 million season long loan fee is common in England certainly. 

Just don't see these reported so much.

Edited by Mikey1874

Francis Albert

No mention as far as I can see of the Hickey situation on the BBC Scottish Football page.

Raises hopes that there is bad news on the way for Celtic?

14 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

👍   None of us know other than the Club what is in the deal. We all hope that whatever is in it will exclude Celtic as much as possible.

The danger might be that after the loan, if he signs for Bologna, then it will be as a free agent. If that would cut us out of a sell on fee then it would do the same to Celtic. Hopefully we have a sell-on guaranteed in the contract because that is where the serious money is likely to be. Any way you look at it though Celtic must be kicking themselves for letting him go, and Hearts should be congratulating themselves for spotting his ability. When all's said and done, if all we make out of it is a £million+ then we've done pretty well.

6 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

The danger might be that after the loan, if he signs for Bologna, then it will be as a free agent. If that would cut us out of a sell on fee then it would do the same to Celtic. Hopefully we have a sell-on guaranteed in the contract because that is where the serious money is likely to be. Any way you look at it though Celtic must be kicking themselves for letting him go, and Hearts should be congratulating themselves for spotting his ability. When all's said and done, if all we make out of it is a £million+ then we've done pretty well.

I wouldn't mind him leaving without a sell on fee, I'm pretty sure Bologna know a way around that

😉

4 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

He can do that anyway unless the deal has already specified a fee.

It was still a big risk playing a 16 year old against Celtic one week, then in the cup final, against Scotland's player of the year but the gamble paid off.

I suppose best case scenario is that he goes to Bologna for 1.5-2.0m on loan for a period...not sure it would be 2 years as people are suggesting, as he only has less than a year to go. Unless he has been persuaded to sign an extension, but I see that as being very doubtful. 

Thereafter, say just before the loan ends, they take up the option to buy for a minimal fee but with a future sell on of x%.

That way, we get the full fee this year, and a sell on and celtic would get their 30% of the nominal transfer fee(1 Euro hopefully) when Bologna take up the option to buy.

Bear in mind that this would result in Hickey, his agent and his father knowingly being part of a deal shafting Celtic... unlikely.

The only danger would be if he doesn't succeed in Italy(unlikely) and they decide to cut their losses(unlikely), and let him leave without taking up the purchase option(unlikely) and he returns home as a free agent to sign for whoever he wants(unlikely)...we then miss out on a potential sell on.

I'll believe it when it happens.

More likely a straightforward 1.5 m, we clear 1.0m, 0.5m to celtic and we get a sell on.

1 hour ago, wavydavy said:

I really want us to be owe Cellic* an absolutely trivial sum so we can send it to them in a brown paper bag c/o Neil Doncaster at SPFL.

jamboinglasgow
Just now, Dunks said:

Just been named Liga Pro Player of the Year :D

Yup, chose to move down a league to prove himself in Portugal and got that team promoted. Still only 24 and is enjoying playing in Portugal. May have hit the heights he thought he could have when he moved to Sporting but he doesn't regret it (certainly from his interviews.) 

22 minutes ago, cb1874 said:

I suppose best case scenario is that he goes to Bologna for 1.5-2.0m on loan for a period...not sure it would be 2 years as people are suggesting, as he only has less than a year to go. Unless he has been persuaded to sign an extension, but I see that as being very doubtful. 

Thereafter, say just before the loan ends, they take up the option to buy for a minimal fee but with a future sell on of x%.

That way, we get the full fee this year, and a sell on and celtic would get their 30% of the nominal transfer fee(1 Euro hopefully) when Bologna take up the option to buy.

Bear in mind that this would result in Hickey, his agent and his father knowingly being part of a deal shafting Celtic... unlikely.

The only danger would be if he doesn't succeed in Italy(unlikely) and they decide to cut their losses(unlikely), and let him leave without taking up the purchase option(unlikely) and he returns home as a free agent to sign for whoever he wants(unlikely)...we then miss out on a potential sell on.

I'll believe it when it happens.

More likely a straightforward 1.5 m, we clear 1.0m, 0.5m to celtic and we get a sell on.

I don't really care one way or the other but I don't see why Hickey/his dad/his agent would give two hoots about what Celtic may or may not get out of it. 

8 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Yup, chose to move down a league to prove himself in Portugal and got that team promoted. Still only 24 and is enjoying playing in Portugal. May have hit the heights he thought he could have when he moved to Sporting but he doesn't regret it (certainly from his interviews.) 

Tbh I was pretty impressed with him at hibs before he got injured. Good to see him get a permanent move where he can play regularly, doesn't matter where you're playing if you're getting farmed out on loan to a different team every 6 months there's just no chance to settle and develop. 

16 minutes ago, stuart500 said:

I really want us to be owe Cellic* an absolutely trivial sum so we can send it to them in a brown paper bag c/o Neil Doncaster at SPFL.

I think we all do. 😍

1 hour ago, Gav M said:

Quote from the Daily Ranger saying this as you suggested.

The deal is reported as a loan with an obligation to buy next summer, so Hickey may sign an extension to his current deal before flying out to Italy.

1 hour ago, soonbe110 said:

Only if the deal we did with Celtic includes a sell-on % for loan fees as well as transfer fees, which I suspect is unlikely. 

Correct, say Hickey hadn't advanced as much as he has and we were putting him out on loan to a club in league one who were contributing £100 a week to his wages, we'd not be sending Celtic £30 a week!

3 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Quote from the Daily Ranger saying this as you suggested.

The deal is reported as a loan with an obligation to buy next summer, so Hickey may sign an extension to his current deal before flying out to Italy.

Probably to bump his wages up to what he'd be getting at Bologna if it was a straight up transfer now