Wage cut for players and staff (Statement on 24/4)

Bunny Munro

Footballfirst

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/majority-hearts-squad-agree-wage-cuts-avoid-contracts-being-suspended-2551898

Two players still holding out.

The majority of Hearts players have agreed to wage cuts of between 10 and 30 per cent, the Evening News can reveal.

At least two are still negotiating with club owner Ann Budge as she tries to cuts costs to mitigate financial strain brought by coronavirus.

Around 10 players had still to agree to salary reductions as of this morning, but most of those have since opted to accept Budge’s proposals rather than see their contracts suspended.

Those who have yet to reach an agreement could push to be released from their deals and become free agents.

Budge had stated she was prepared to activate Clause 12 in player contracts and suspend wages for anyone who did not accept a drop in pay.

She gave a 5pm deadline today for concluding negotiations to ensure everyone who agreed would receive their new reduced amounts when monthly wages reach bank accounts on Thursday.

Some players had pressed to defer a portion of money to avoid cuts but Budge stated on Friday that deferrals were “simply not an option” for Hearts.

She wrote to every player asking them to accept the reductions and made it clear that deferrals would leave Hearts in debt – something she is steadfastly against.

“I outlined the rationale and also explained why a deferral is simply not an option for the club. To reiterate, I cannot – and will not, in good conscience – leave the club in a position again where football debt is left as a ‘legacy’ for those who follow,” she said.

With no matches and no income since football was indefinitely shutdown on March 13, Hearts are taking action to ensure they survive the impending financial crisis.

They carry a first-team squad of more than 30 players with one of the largest wage bills in Scottish football outwith Celtic and Rangers.

Manager Daniel Stendel is working without a wage and captain Steven Naismith took a 50 per cent reduction last month. Defender Clevid Dikamona agreed to terminate his agreement last month.

With the majority now accepting less money, the Edinburgh club are financially better placed to take the ongoing football shutdown with most of their playing staff in tact.

Edited by Footballfirst

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Mikey1874

• soonbe110

• Last Laff

Pasquale for King
Just now, GinRummy said:

Think you’re right. Replace furloughed with refuse to take a pay cut and that’s my answer. Publish names of those who refuse and get the, out the door. 

Absolutely.

29 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

1 hours exercise a day which was taken by everybody in the uk to mean outside excercise was announced by Boris at the start of lockdown and has been reinforced by several cabinet ministers, Nicola Sturgeon and lots of other people 

37 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

I've heard Jason Leitch mention it a few times.

And you are meant to do anything outside of your property at leisurely pace.  

they need to reprint the leaflets they issued to all the homes in Scotland if now it has a time restriction on it.

many things have been said in press conferences, however the publications don’t say these things. 

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do/coronavirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do#when-am-i-allowed-to-leave-the-house

https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-staying-at-home-and-away-from-others-social-distancing/pages/staying-at-home/

Famous 1874
1 hour ago, 1971fozzy said:

I wouldn’t hold your breath for that. A name and shame statement may be box office for some but in reality it’s not the proper thing to do. We will likely know some of the individuals as they are released either voluntarily or by clause 12 but I would be gobsmacked if the club release a statement with names

Yeah fair enough. Probably just me being nosy. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
12 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

It was one of the women’s team who had been abroad playing for Scotland I think.

Really,  didn't know that at all. Hopefully all turned out well for her

husref musemic

disappointed. i was hopeful of clear out. 

They had to have their arms twisted & waited till the last minute. 

bunch of chancers.

39 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

1 hours exercise a day which was taken by everybody in the uk to mean outside excercise was announced by Boris at the start of lockdown and has been reinforced by several cabinet ministers, Nicola Sturgeon and lots of other people 

I'm sure I'm right in thinking that the UK has a massive problem with obesity.  I can tell you that here in NZ, one hours exercise per day would kill a lot more people than the virus.  About half of our population couldn't manage 1 minute per day.

6 hours ago, Le Chat said:

So, here's Michael Smith's Instagram story from this morning.

First run in a month.  And our players are wanting full whack??

Incredible.

smiffy.jpg

From this morning???

Could swear I drove past him running on Sunday. I must be mistaken. Whoever it was was running at some speed though.

3 minutes ago, HMFC01 said:

Smith? XHIl1hjM=

😁

😂 be a shame if it was Smith after taking time out his schedule to do running. 😎

Great news this.  Well done to the players.

We deserve to know who the two players are who have declined.

Batistuta87

We do need a clear out and I was thinking this was an easy way to get one, but I have to say I'm actually rather pleased to hear that the vast majority are accepting their cuts and taking it on the chin. What I was reading was making me think our players were all money hungry, selfish, greedy bams, but I'm glad that's not the case. 

Well done to those who have accepted the situation. 

Would love to know who is holding out and why. 

Edited by Batistuta87

Nookie Bear
6 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

I'm sure I'm right in thinking that the UK has a massive problem with obesity.  I can tell you that here in NZ, one hours exercise per day would kill a lot more people than the virus.  About half of our population couldn't manage 1 minute per day.

One benefit of this whole thing may be that people start to think about what their underlying health issues may be and whether they can do something about it.

2 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

Great news this.  Well done to the players.

We deserve to know who the two players are who have declined.

Well done?

Nah man. They should have felt the need to do the right thing from the start. They aren't doing whats right because its right, they've agreed because Budge backed them into a corner and the reality of no wages dawned on them.

**** every single last one of them. The day the last one of them leaves the club will be a good day. 

(sorry, I know its a well meaning post and you're bang on about us deserving to know who). 

Saw a few posts on twitter about the FOH money, suggesting that the players seemed to have been expecting this to be moved around to pay their ****ing wages. Honestly, they are utterly devoid of moral fortitude.

Just now, OTT said:

Well done?

Nah man. They should have felt the need to do the right thing from the start. They aren't doing whats right because its right, they've agreed because Budge backed them into a corner and the reality of no wages dawned on them.

**** every single last one of them. The day the last one of them leaves the club will be a good day. 

(sorry, I know its a well meaning post and you're bang on about us deserving to know who). 

Saw a few posts on twitter about the FOH money, suggesting that the players seemed to have been expecting this to be moved around to pay their ****ing wages. Honestly, they are utterly devoid of moral fortitude.

This is where I’m at. Almost more annoyed that the chancers backed down at the last minute thinking Budge wouldn’t go through with it. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug

Not sure any of them deserve credit for pushing it so late - other than Naismith, Young Guy and Stendel

1 hour ago, Ethan Hunt said:

They wouldn’t be making a statement about their pay negotiations, they’d be making a statement about the players contract being subject to Article 12. 

Do you really think that information should not be known? Really?

No, I agree art 12 would be in public domain. Individual pay cuts shouldn’t be 

1 minute ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Not sure any of them deserve credit for pushing it so late - other than Naismith, Young Guy and Stendel

Clevid too!

Levein going on about looking for the right characters for the club really turned out to be a lot of shite eh :D 

3 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Disappointed. Was hoping they had been Article 12ed.

I prefer to think that at least 2 are on temporary article 12 while they dither and deal.  Makes me feel a bit better.

davemclaren

So everyone is outraged that footballers won’t take a pay cut then are equally outraged that all but two have and we can’t just summarily terminate more contracts.

Outrage is a thing! 😄

Tom Hardy’s Dug
1 minute ago, OTT said:

Clevid too!

Levein going on about looking for the right characters for the club really turned out to be a lot of shite eh :D 

I forgot and agree. A good egg.

9 minutes ago, Holyrood_Hearts said:

Wonder if Jamie Walker is one of the two given his sister’s comments on Twitter 

What were her comments? 

Guest ToqueJambo

First the Riccarton Three, now the Tynecastle Two.

I'm assuming it's players who want to leave asap. Berra for example might just prefer to cut ties now and join Dundee permanently.

bean counter

Michael Smith has been one of our most consistent players all season

I cannot remember a game where he did not give his all.

I also seem to remember he played right after his wife gave birth and played through tonsillitis

Why are people so keen to believe negative things and what do they base it on apart froma frustration at the Club in general.

2 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

So everyone is outraged that footballers won’t take a pay cut then are equally outraged that all but two have and we can’t just summarily terminate more contracts.

Outrage is a thing! 😄

We wanted firework display all we got was a sparkler and a banger.

😄

gashauskis9

Out of nothing but speculation I’m going for Washington and Boyce given the likely size of their wages and potential to move on elsewhere.

2 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Out of nothing but speculation I’m going for Washington and Boyce given the likely size of their wages and potential to move on elsewhere.

Can't see us  letting Boyce go for nothing , in saying that it's Budge so maybe you're  right lol 

Edited by ramrod

gashauskis9
1 minute ago, ramrod said:

Can't see us  letting Boyce go for nothing , in saying that it's Budge so maybe you're  right lol 

I don’t think this is an exercise in who we want to keep, it’s more about who we can keep.

22 minutes ago, OTT said:

Well done?

I completely agree with that.  Better late than never is my view.

17 minutes ago, HMFC01 said:

I prefer to think that at least 2 are on temporary article 12 while they dither and deal.  Makes me feel a bit better.

Decent chance 1 or 2 might come round. 

8 came round today. 

2 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Yeah and was badly at fault for the 5 German goals, he’s not up to Championship standard and at 32 and fighting with around 1000 other players at League 1&2 level I’m not convinced he will have many options down south. If we get demoted he might stay in the top league though. 

Tbh i wouldn’t shed a tear if we lost everyone. Possibly Andy Irvine and Hickey but the rest I’m pretty meh about. I’d happily start over again with a brand new squad. I’ve never felt so low being a jambo as I do right now. This team with CL calling the shots for the last few years, has just sapped all my love and enthusiasm and I’ve tortured myself week in week out following them.  I look forward to when the new broom sweeps clean 

Wish I could live in Steph Walkers world.  Must be brilliant.  My income has dropped to zero Steph and has been that way for 7 weeks and continues to be that way.

I'm making what's called a sacrifice in the teeth of a global crisis.  I'm happy to do so.

Look for sacrifice in your dictionary Steph.  It comes straight after selfish.

gashauskis9
1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

Decent chance 1 or 2 might come round. 

8 came round today. 

Yep.  Bought themselves enough time dragging this out to get their agents on point to move them on.  If those 8 wanted to be playing here next season, they wouldn’t have held out to 5pm today.  

14 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Washington & Uche. 

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, Saughton Jambo said:

Tbh i wouldn’t shed a tear if we lost everyone. Possibly Andy Irvine and Hickey but the rest I’m pretty meh about. I’d happily start over again with a brand new squad. I’ve never felt so low being a jambo as I do right now. This team with CL calling the shots for the last few years, has just sapped all my love and enthusiasm and I’ve tortured myself week in week out following them.  I look forward to when the new broom sweeps clean 

Absolutely 👍🏽

Unknown user
1 hour ago, Ibrahim Tall said:

This. Smiths good but I’ve never got the hype, he’s a consistent 6.5/7 out of 10 player but he doesn’t score or assist and based on the ‘team’ performance he’s hardly one to drag the rest of the defence along either.

He’s a Northern Irish Robbie Neilson.

And like Robbie Neilson it'll only become apparent how good he is once he's away and we're getting shafted down our right side.

1 minute ago, Hall said:

Washington & Uche. 

I would have guessed Damour, but not really surprised. Two huge disappointments. Article 12 them and turn the phone off.