Wage cut for players and staff (Statement on 24/4)

Bunny Munro

Just now, jambocub said:

Think he was playing through injury as well before lockdown .

I'd certainly give him benifit of the doubt as he always seems to give everything

Where I’m at, for now at least. 

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Mikey1874

• soonbe110

• Last Laff

9 minutes ago, Mort said:

Have the players been furloughed?

From 03 April

Further to our update on Tuesday which outlined action taken by the club to safeguard jobs, and the club’s future in these challenging times, I wanted to share some further information with our supporters.

As stated earlier this week, we have utilised the Government’s Job Retention Scheme and furloughed the majority of non-football employees.  A number of staff continue to work, albeit from home.  They are carrying out a number of essential functions, including planning for the return of football, keeping in touch with supporters, essential maintenance and importantly ensuring the wellbeing of our employees. 

I would like to make it clear that no employee, whether furloughed or working, at any level in the Club has been asked to take a 50% cut.  The majority of cuts fall below 30%.  Some employees have very kindly offered to take larger cuts or in some cases to forgo their salaries entirely.  We should add that we are now investigating the implications of the Job Retention Scheme for our casual workers. We are absolutely delighted at the support received from staff.

We are also planning to furlough all players and while discussions are still ongoing with the first team squad, we would like to make it clear that since the introduction of the Job Retention Scheme, no player has been asked to take more than a 30% reduction in wage. 

Just now, DETTY29 said:

From 03 April

Further to our update on Tuesday which outlined action taken by the club to safeguard jobs, and the club’s future in these challenging times, I wanted to share some further information with our supporters.

As stated earlier this week, we have utilised the Government’s Job Retention Scheme and furloughed the majority of non-football employees.  A number of staff continue to work, albeit from home.  They are carrying out a number of essential functions, including planning for the return of football, keeping in touch with supporters, essential maintenance and importantly ensuring the wellbeing of our employees. 

I would like to make it clear that no employee, whether furloughed or working, at any level in the Club has been asked to take a 50% cut.  The majority of cuts fall below 30%.  Some employees have very kindly offered to take larger cuts or in some cases to forgo their salaries entirely.  We should add that we are now investigating the implications of the Job Retention Scheme for our casual workers. We are absolutely delighted at the support received from staff.

We are also planning to furlough all players and while discussions are still ongoing with the first team squad, we would like to make it clear that since the introduction of the Job Retention Scheme, no player has been asked to take more than a 30% reduction in wage. 

I see. It sounds to me like following today’s decision, the players will then be furloughed if they agree. I’m sure I read that March salaries were still paid in full. 

tolcross lad
Just now, ToqueJambo said:

Every player will be considering their future right now and weighing up all their options. Especially international players at a club about to be potentially relegated. They'd be mad not to.

Correct.

But why disrespect the club through a message?

6 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

Yep.

Nobody knows, just pure guesswork.  Ott imo. 

An overreaction? On Kickback? Nah...it'll never catch on... 🙄

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, tolcross lad said:

Correct.

Maybe he didn't see it that way if he's been doing light stuff or rehab under instructions (which all the players have been) and run means a 10k or something? It's social media. I don't know why anyone bothers with it. 

Edited by ToqueJambo

2 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

I thought they had and by using the scheme, the 50% cuts were cut back to 10 - 30%

Correct.  From the words of our leader - no employee has been asked to take more than a 30% pay cut. 
Smith’s wages in furlough are made up by £2500 per month from govt scheme topped up by Hearts to whatever level has been agreed between player and Club ie 70-100%. Furlough means employer cannot direct employee to do any work. Also expected to last for three months minimum, recently extended to four months. Budge has already said she expects no football before September at the earliest. Given volume of contracts in Scotland expiring June 9 there’s virtually zero chance of remaining games getting played. 
This basically means it’s four months minimum before we have any games. Best case is that pre-season would start mid to late July. 
Not sure I understand why fans think players should be out busting a gut training etc when it’s clear they are really only ticking over for the next couple of months. In reality they are basically on their summer break. 

If players leave that may be announced.

Very much doubt players being subject to Article 12 will be identified. As Ann Budge appears to be leaving it open to players to change their minds. 

May get numbers. Papers might know some names. 

8 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

I’ve been kicking about the forum and checking emails to keep up consistency.  I’ve reduced toilet breaks though. 

👍

1 minute ago, soonbe110 said:

Correct.  From the words of our leader - no employee has been asked to take more than a 30% pay cut. 
Smith’s wages in furlough are made up by £2500 per month from govt scheme topped up by Hearts to whatever level has been agreed between player and Club ie 70-100%. Furlough means employer cannot direct employee to do any work. Also expected to last for three months minimum, recently extended to four months. Budge has already said she expects no football before September at the earliest. Given volume of contracts in Scotland expiring June 9 there’s virtually zero chance of remaining games getting played. 
This basically means it’s four months minimum before we have any games. Best case is that pre-season would start mid to late July. 
Not sure I understand why fans think players should be out busting a gut training etc when it’s clear they are really only ticking over for the next couple of months. In reality they are basically on their summer break. 

Furlough scheme is to end June just now. Maybe extended soon.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/chancellor-extends-furlough-scheme-to-end-of-june

tolcross lad
Just now, ToqueJambo said:

Maybe he didn't see it that way if he's been doing light stuff or rehab under instructions (which all the players have been) and run means a 10k or something? It's social media. I don't know why anyone bothers with it. 

Obviously Michael Smith bothers with it and he knows exactly it consequences.

How do you know he considered the consequences? Looks like he didn’t to me. 

5 minutes ago, tolcross lad said:

Correct.

How's  he disrespected the club ?

What if he's been resting up to get over injuries that he's played through ?

6 minutes ago, Mort said:

I see. It sounds to me like following today’s decision, the players will then be furloughed if they agree. I’m sure I read that March salaries were still paid in full. 

Its up to each employer how they treat furlough.

The key is that the employers can claim the cash back from the govt up to the 80% - £2.5k monthly cut off per employee.

So they can still pay in full (many sports clubs are) and reclaim from the government.

How morally correct this is and whether there may be down the line repercussions for employers remain to be seen. 

Guest ToqueJambo
2 minutes ago, tolcross lad said:

I don't think footballers, or most people in general, are that calculating and strategic in their use of social media to be honest. 😂

tolcross lad
1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

How do you know he considered the consequences? Looks like he didn’t to me. 

He is just stupid then.

fabienleclerq
1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

I got the feeling when stendel called the club out as ‘not professional’ fitness was a big part of what he meant. . 

Has to be, I remember going to the same gym as the British judo team and watching them training and thinking they're putting in more hours as amateurs than pro footballers in Scotland. 

The spurs game we always go back too and the Scottish Rugby boys are huge aswell. I know it's different sports but surely we don't do enough gym work. 

9 minutes ago, jambocub said:

How's  he disrespected the club ?

What if he's been resting up to get over injuries that he's played through ?

This is of course valid.

And if he has been injured the club physio team cannot help him if he has been furloughed.

However, funny day for Smith to post and not clarify.

Edited by DETTY29

3 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Very much doubt players being subject to Article 12 will be identified. As Ann Budge appears to be leaving it open to players to change their minds. 

So why a 5pm deadline for today? (I know it’s so this months wages can be processed).

If they don’t agree to the cuts by 5pm then they should be Article 12’d, no messing. They have had over a month to think this through.

The disconnect between the fans and this squad will only increase (if that’s possible) if Budge doesn’t empty the dissenters.

1 minute ago, DETTY29 said:

This is of course valid.

And if he has been injured the club physio team cannot help him if he has been furloughed.

However, funny day to post and not clarify.

Me ?

Edited by jambocub
Missed words

Captain Canada

Smith is one of the very few who's been committed and tried his best this season. If I remember correctly he played right after the birth of his child and also while suffering tonsillitis. 

1 minute ago, fabienleclerq said:

Has to be, I remember going to the same gym as the British judo team and watching them training and thinking they're putting in more hours as amateurs than pro footballers in Scotland. 

The spurs game we always go back too and the Scottish Rugby boys are huge aswell. I know it's different sports but surely we don't do enough gym work. 

Calum Paterson went from Hearts to Cardiff as a direct result of the work he did in the gym. His ability was never an issue, his physique was though.

fabienleclerq
17 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Question for everyone on here that has been furloughed - have you been working every day at maintaining or improving your skill set for your job so that you are 100% ready for it when you go back to work in 3 months time? 

I've been working full time and doing overtime to pay for season tickets if that allows me to criticise? 

It's nowhere near comparable, an accountant will be able to go to work tomorrow and put in a competent performance will the players? Or will they have 3 weeks to get back up to speed. 

10 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Problem with numbers is that you get further speculation on who has and hasn't.

But the club may not be allowed to name. 

The non playing staff have been furloughed. No agreement had been reached with the first team players, today is deadline day for agreeing to cuts. Have I got that right?

6 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

The spurs game we always go back too and the Scottish Rugby boys are huge aswell. I know it's different sports but surely we don't do enough gym work

The Spurs game showed the vast difference of fitness levels and if anyone was at the Hamburg game back in the 70s - as soon as Hamburg walked out on to the pitch  the difference in physique was staggering 

fabienleclerq
10 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Calum Paterson went from Hearts to Cardiff as a direct result of the work he did in the gym. His ability was never an issue, his physique was though.

I was going to mention the volleyball players working hard in the gym also, I'm sure CP played it and probably got his leap from it. 

Edited by fabienleclerq

Smith is part of a squad that has been horseshit for 18 months.  He won’t be missed just like the rest of them. 

2 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

The non playing staff have been furloughed. No agreement had been reached with the first team players, today is deadline day for agreeing to cuts. Have I got that right?

That was my understanding of it.

4 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

I've been working full time and doing overtime to pay for season tickets if that allows me to criticise? 

It's nowhere near comparable, an accountant will be able to go to work tomorrow and put in a competent performance will the players? Or will they have 3 weeks to get back up to speed. 

We could be at a disadvantage because by furloughing we can't put the players on training programmes however clubs who havent, still need their players to stick to the govt guidelines.

Now where's the curtain twitching report line? Who do we still have to play?

1 minute ago, Mort said:

That was my understanding of it.

So why is @soonbe110 trying to make it out like Smith is within his rights not to be training cause he’s been furloughed 🤷🏼‍♂️

Michael Smith has been nothing but professional and consistent since he joined Hearts and I would have thought would be one of the first to get the benefit of the doubt. If a player of the season vote had been taken at the point we stopped playing he would have won it in a landslide imo. Although he might have missed out on PfK's vote.

Brick Tamland

If I was a player I’d take the pay cut. As others have pointed out on this thread, there is a strong likelihood of clubs in the UK going bust or at least going to have to severely trim their budgets and consequently their playing staff. Thus there will be a glut of some half decent and hungry players if that scenario plays out and any of our players who think it’s ok to demand full wages despite playing themselves to the bottom of the league can **** right off and if there is a glut of players, then very few of them will get a wage as much as they are on with us. Yes taking a pay cut hurts but the majority of the country have already done it and these players are a disgrace in my opinion to hold out for a full wage when doing buggar all. 

tolcross lad
1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

I don't think footballers, or most people in general, are that calculating and strategic in their use of social media to be honest. 😂

My son was a professional footballer for 14 years.I am well aware of the range of footballers abilities on social media.Make no mistake Smith knows exactly what he is doing.

2 minutes ago, tolcross lad said:

My son was a professional footballer for 14 years.I am well aware of the range of footballers abilities on social media.Make no mistake Smith knows exactly what he is doing.

What's he doing ?

Hector Riva
6 minutes ago, HoGwash said:

Michael Smith has been nothing but professional and consistent since he joined Hearts and I would have thought would be one of the first to get the benefit of the doubt. If a player of the season vote had been taken at the point we stopped playing he would have won it in a landslide imo. Although he might have missed out on PfK's vote.

Yes . Spot on.

fabienleclerq
2 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

We could be at a disadvantage because by furloughing we can't put the players on training programmes however clubs who havent, still need their players to stick to the govt guidelines.

Now where's the curtain twitching report line? Who do we still have to play?

Think they can still train as long as they are being paid for their time doing it unless I've read wrong. 

When clubs are battling for survival in the small world of football when we have 6 million unemployed and businesses devastated, even perhaps thousands dead from the fallout, some people will find it quite hard to look anyone in the face again. 

tolcross lad
3 minutes ago, jambocub said:

What's he doing ?

He is making it clear that he is reluctantly accepting a cut but he is not committed to the club.

1 minute ago, Cruyff said:

Name and shame those who refuse. 

I really think the supporters deserve this information. Folk are out in the real world furloughed and having to get by on (as an example) £240 a week rather than the £300 they normally get and meanwhile footballers of the club they support are refusing to accept any reduction in pay. 

Give us the names please Ann. 

He is making it clear that he is reluctantly accepting a cut but he is not committed to the club.

That’s quite a stretch on the info available, unless you have inside information. 

tolcross lad
2 minutes ago, Holyrood_Hearts said:

Don’t think Tolcross likes Michael Smith too much 😂

He has been our most reliable player IMO .Michael Smith is just a result of the gross mismanagement of players for years as a squad and individually.

3 minutes ago, Barack said:

Is Michael Smith speaking in code then?

Confusing. :lol:

Uche's Instagram has a picture of him in his kit.

Sub-text: "****ing hate Hearts."

:lol: