Scottish Football officially suspended

Alva-Jambo

Frankfurter
22 minutes ago, Walter Bishop said:

The Whole of Italy has been put on lockdown.

Good of them to conduct that experiment for us, under more similar constraints than what the Chinese Communist Party can allow itself to do.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Geoff Kilpatrick

• IveSeenTheLight

• ...a bit disco

• Mikey1874

1 hour ago, jr ewing said:

Agreed season scrapped and void. 

Think Scottish and fa cups can be saved. Play later rounds in summer though not sure how that plays into European qualification. 

42 minutes ago, weehammy said:

Yeah, the EU has things totally under control. Oh wait, isn’t Italy in the EU?

But Germany isn’t. 

Calebs Grandad

Probably unlikely but should the Scottish season be suspended then declared void I’d personally fill a wheelie bin full of popcorn then simply sit back and watch the unprecedented meltdown from across Lochend way as we escape relegation without even having to play anyone 

10 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Think Scottish and fa cups can be saved. Play later rounds in summer though not sure how that plays into European qualification. 

Positions stay as last year. Shame for Dundee United though. 

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, Calebs Grandad said:

Probably unlikely but should the Scottish season be suspended then declared void I’d personally fill a wheelie bin full of popcorn then simply sit back and watch the unprecedented meltdown from across Lochend way as we escape relegation without even having to play anyone 

As funny as that would be imagine Neil Lennon when they tell him they’ve not won 9 in a row 😆🤪😂.

When they stop travel in and out of the UK I'll start to think they are taking things more seriously ..right now they are allowing flights in and out of the country with few if any checks

There will be a couple of hundred thousand through Heathrow every day yet people are discussing sporting fixtures when every day there are vast numbers meeting in an enclosed space and many other airports, railway stations, ports etc

3 minutes ago, Calebs Grandad said:

well, this is the real debate

the Scottish football authorities, being rather supine, will take their lead from England.

Hands up who says the season should be void, depriving Liverpool of their title?

I think it should be frozen, and if we go down, it’s cos we’re last

Mr Elwood P
2 minutes ago, dc-jambo said:

the Scottish football authorities, being rather supine, will take their lead from England.

Hands up who says the season should be void, depriving Liverpool of their title?

Liverpool will have won the title before any potential suspension of games. Once they’ve won it they can’t then have it removed. Promotion / relegation the more contentious issue ...

1 hour ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Game was yesterday? 

1 hour ago, Walter Bishop said:

This game was yesterday. :vrface:

1 hour ago, connlach said:

Should get a bet on the final score then 🤣

58 minutes ago, WheatfieldWarrior said:

I'm going for 2-0 Juve.

Looks like I was watching the game on peebles sports.

2 minutes ago, dc-jambo said:

not saying it should be void , but it will likely be ‘paused’ as will every other countries leagues.

Id imagine the Euros will likely be cancelled as well unless there’s some sort of miracle 

no way should teams be relegated when fixtures aren’t fulfilled. Just as teams should not be awarded titles when it’s mathematically possible for them to be caught.

Mr Elwood P
14 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

not saying it should be void , but it will likely be ‘paused’ as will every other countries leagues.

Id imagine the Euros will likely be cancelled as well unless there’s some sort of miracle 

no way should teams be relegated when fixtures aren’t fulfilled. Just as teams should not be awarded titles when it’s mathematically possible for them to be caught.

They will be praying for Liverpool to win the title ASAP!

30 minutes ago, weehammy said:

Germany isn’t in the EU???!!! My senility must be more advanced than I feared!

I was being sarcastic 

portobellojambo1
2 hours ago, jr ewing said:

All sporting events in Italy suspended.

Isn't there a possibility that cancelling outdoor events, played in fresh air, will actually make transmission of the virus increase. I'm assuming football fans on the continent are simialr to here, and if games are played behin closed doors but televised then fans are likely to get together indoors and watch them that way, maybe even closer together in air conditioned buildings.

I just look at this as a virus I may get or there again may not, and until I do I'm trying to not think about it at all. No point in me stocking up on food, I'm 64 now so probably deemed to be of an age where I could get it. I don't see any point in stockpiling food, if the end result of the virus is death stockpiling food is just a waste of money.

Edited by portobellojambo1

7 minutes ago, portobellojambo1 said:

Isn't there a possibility that cancelling outdoor events, played in fresh air, will actually make transmission of the virus increase. I'm assuming football fans on the continent are simialr to here, and if games are played behin closed doors but televised then fans are likely to get together indoors and watch them that way, maybe even closer together in air conditioned buildings.

I just look at this as a virus I may get or there again may not, and until I do I'm trying to not think about it at all. No point in me stocking up on food, I'm 64 now so probably deemed to be of an age where I could get it. I don't see any point in stockpiling food, if the end result of the virus is death stockpiling food is just a waste of money.

maybe but it’s getting to games as well. Let’s say 30,000 going to a Seria A match. There’s the whole getting there (buses , trains, trams etc) , there’s Pre Match - Lunch in a cafe ?, pubs etc. Then at the game itself - toilets etc etc.

then the whole post match scenario getting home, pub etc.

by cancelling (now) it all helps contain it.

even playing closed gates, the percentages are better keeping folk indoors I’d imagine.  

Horatio Caine

I notice that a significant number of fans from Leverkusen are flying in to Glasgow for Thursday night's match at the Hunnery.  Leverkusen is a coronovirus hotspot .  So we're allowing a whole influx of potentially infected and transmitting people into Scotland?  Good job.

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, Horatio Caine said:

I notice that a significant number of fans from Leverkusen are flying in to Glasgow for Thursday night's match at the Hunnery.  Leverkusen is a coronovirus hotspot .  So we're allowing a whole influx of potentially infected and transmitting people into Scotland?  Good job.

To a place not renowned for its cleanliness.

If games are played behind closed doors could the SFA not just allow teams to stream games live in the UK on match days, at least there would be some income.  Could maybe charge £20 per live game ppv

Edited by brux

1 minute ago, brux said:

If games are played behind closed doors could the SFA not just allow teams to stream games live in the UK on match days, at least there would be some income.  Could maybe charge £20 per live game ppv

read somewhere they're proposing doing away with the 3pm TV blackout rule if there is a closed door ruling, not sure if it's with PPV in mind tho.

18 minutes ago, Horatio Caine said:

Imagine what they will go back with.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, portobellojambo1 said:

Aye, but you'll do well to get 50 folk in a house or pub never mind 30 thousand. 

I get the point tho, trains, planes, schools even large work places would be higher risk you'd have thought. 

Bazzas right boot
36 minutes ago, Horatio Caine said:

Sending them straight Ibrox tho... 

flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.u2.jpg

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, brux said:

They would need to I think.

Edited by Pasquale for King

No point in stopping sporting events if you do not stop pubic transport and airports.

Imagine the cup semi being behind closed doors.

Everybody going down to the pub to watch the game.

Pointless.

Geoff Kilpatrick
20 minutes ago, benny said:

No point in stopping sporting events if you do not stop pubic transport and airports.

Imagine the cup semi being behind closed doors.

Everybody going down to the pub to watch the game.

Pointless.

In a nutshell. Zombie apocalypse toilet paper buyers need to calm down.

Jambo, Goodbye
7 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

If you read and understood my previous post you'd know I suggested a few dozen people I would contact person to person within one metre. Maybe an underestimate maybe not but certainly a very small fraction of Tynecastle's capacity. And I explained simple ways in which the number of such contacts could be reduced. And if you understood my argument tripling the capacity for say the Emirates would not triple the number or anything like it.

You don't seem to understand other risks either. You dismissed transport contacts by likening it getting on a number one bus (by implication on a match day). If I commute in London by tube I pass turnstiles both on entry and exit which daily (even hourly) will be handled by more people than the turnstile I use at Tynie handles once a week or less on average. If I commute by tube and train, you can double that. And I can assure you once past the turnstiles tubes and trains and platforms pack a lot more people into small spaces with a lot more intimate contact than I usually meet with  at Tynie  (a late winner against the Hibbies maybe excepted). 

So at present or "right now" shutting football grounds and such would be wholly disproportionate compared to other risks in everyday life. The government and its advisers seem to agree. If things do deteriorate, and further steps to slow the spread are necessary, closing football grounds would be the tip of the iceberg. China quarantined and effectively shut down whole cities. Korea presumably closed all churches.

At no point were you even close to clearly suggesting "a few dozen". You were intentionally vague enough that the best answer I could get was around a dozen. That's why i asked but it's taken this long to get that out of you. You're hard work. 

I didn't dismiss transport links,  i said they aren't comparable to entering Tynie.  Your 1 meter rule is now "person to person" too? That's a new stipulation. So does that mean people you interact with? 

But a few dozen is still way too low imo. Walking from Tynecastle Arms to the back of the Gorgie alone will make you pass through at least two hundred or more walking in the opposite direction. That's 200 exhaling in your path. I'd call that person to person. 

You're not looking at the bigger picture either.  Closing football stadiums would be about mitigating spread of disease by reducing massive numbers of people from travelling at once, to the same destination. It would make a huge impact to how busy public transport can get. Just as making people work from home can. If they do close the grounds (I hope they don't) it will likely be accompanied by advice to avoid all busy places wherever you live. They would aim to stop all factors that make people use the tube for example. 

Lastly,  you've not really followed what's happened in korea; that much is clear, which makes it incredible that you could be so self-assured. You've no idea how the spread happened, how few it took,  and how easy it would have been to avoid etc... any large scale events would replicate that scenario imo. 

I'll summarise as i don't want to be in an endless back and forth. 

1: You think you are only at risk from a few dozen at any football game. 

I'd say the numbers were much higher. 

2: You think public transport is a higher risk. 

I'd say large public events are a reason why. All things that increase public transport usage needs looked at. 

3: You don't know/agree that a small gathering in daegu caused its outbreak. 

I'd say it did and we're suffering the consequences of the inaction taken. 

There's the three main points we won't be changing our views on. That's just about as far as I'm willing to go with it. 

Edited by Jambo, Goodbye

Jambo, Goodbye
3 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

maybe but it’s getting to games as well. Let’s say 30,000 going to a Seria A match. There’s the whole getting there (buses , trains, trams etc) , there’s Pre Match - Lunch in a cafe ?, pubs etc. Then at the game itself - toilets etc etc.

then the whole post match scenario getting home, pub etc.

by cancelling (now) it all helps contain it.

even playing closed gates, the percentages are better keeping folk indoors I’d imagine.  

In a nutshell,  this would be the thinking behind any closed door game. 

But hopefully it's not required in the UK 😒

Edited by Jambo, Goodbye

John Gentleman
5 hours ago, portobellojambo1 said:

I'm 66 PJ so I'm in and around the same tent as you.  

It's not age which determines the risk of contractibility. No-one has immunity from this, apart from those who've had it and recovered. So everyone's in the same campsite, albeit different tents. In the age 60–69 tent, we're no more likely to contract it than the community at large. We are, however, likelier to experience more severe symptoms than the folk in the age 30–39 tent. Then, when you add in pre-existing conditions like cardiovascular disease, diabetes, respiratory disease, hypertension etc, the odds of severe symptoms explode exponentially. If an old bloke aged 86, with diabetes and COPD, contracts Covid-19 then he probably doesn't have much time left on this earth. But then, he probably didn't have much time anyway in the absence of Covid-19. That's just the way it is; we all die. I think, though, that the 60–69 tent still has a few parties left in it.  

5 hours ago, brux said:

You can’t just create the infrastructure for that out of nothing, and it probably wouldn’t be cheap to do it well. The American sports spent tens of millions setting up streaming services and the European NFL one, gamepass, still gets regular complaints that it crashes when most of the games are live

Jambo, Goodbye
6 minutes ago, JCR said:

You can’t just create the infrastructure for that out of nothing, and it probably wouldn’t be cheap to do it well. The American sports spent tens of millions setting up streaming services and the European NFL one, gamepass, still gets regular complaints that it crashes when most of the games are live

What's stopping Hearts TV though? They already stream outside of the UK.

Angry Haggis
1 hour ago, Jambo, Goodbye said:

Thats a great shout, if it comes to it hopefully the club can facilitate access to the service for season ticket holders if closed door matches happen. 

1 hour ago, JCR said:

I was meaning to use the existing club tv system.

Calebs Grandad

Given we haven’t seen any confirmed cases in either Glasgow or Lochend there might well be a case for looking into methadone users being immune to this virus 🤷🏼‍♂️ 

davemclaren
4 hours ago, John Gentleman said:

I'm 66 PJ so I'm in and around the same tent as you.  

It's not age which determines the risk of contractibility. No-one has immunity from this, apart from those who've had it and recovered. So everyone's in the same campsite, albeit different tents. In the age 60–69 tent, we're no more likely to contract it than the community at large. We are, however, likelier to experience more severe symptoms than the folk in the age 30–39 tent. Then, when you add in pre-existing conditions like cardiovascular disease, diabetes, respiratory disease, hypertension etc, the odds of severe symptoms explode exponentially. If an old bloke aged 86, with diabetes and COPD, contracts Covid-19 then he probably doesn't have much time left on this earth. But then, he probably didn't have much time anyway in the absence of Covid-19. That's just the way it is; we all die. I think, though, that the 60–69 tent still has a few parties left in it.  

I am in the same age group and was hoping to see at least one more cup win but hey ho. 😎

davemclaren
3 hours ago, Jambo, Goodbye said:

just the technical, sport authorities and commercial issues I imagine. Not impossible though. 

John Gentleman
3 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I am in the same age group and was hoping to see at least one more cup win but hey ho. 😎

I have this feeling we probably will. Circumstances can turn around quickly. Glass (hic) half-full etc.

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, John Gentleman said:

I have this feeling we probably will. Circumstances can turn around quickly. Glass (hic) half-full etc.

👍

12 hours ago, 4marsbars said:

Watch this then

I don't do Twitter. I did not say it was "just like flu", I said it was "no more lethal than flu".  I believe that it is not the current Coronavirus which has scientists worried, it is what it could become if it mutates - which given that everyone is getting it is a higher probability...

John Findlay
1 minute ago, Spellczech said:

I don't do Twitter. I did not say it was "just like flu", I said it was "no more lethal than flu".  I believe that it is not the current Coronavirus which has scientists worried, it is what it could become if it mutates - which given that everyone is getting it is a higher probability...

Everyone is not getting it.

Just now, John Findlay said:

Everyone is not getting it.

but they may do. Personally I am worried about my 80+ parents getting it but other than than, not worried at all. I've never even had normal flu myself.

John Gentleman
5 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

but they may do. Personally I am worried about my 80+ parents getting it but other than than, not worried at all. I've never even had normal flu myself.

You might have 'had it' without knowing. Up to 61.8% of people who contract the flu virus(es) are asymptomatic, or experience only mild [sub-clinical] symptoms (lucky sods). Research here: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4880086/

IveSeenTheLight
25 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Except that it is.

Flu is reported to kill about 7000 a year with a reported 0.1% kill rate

Covid-19 has already contributed to a reported 4000+ deaths in just over two months with a kill rate estimated around 3.5%

9 minutes ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

Except that it is.

Flu is reported to kill about 7000 a year with a reported 0.1% kill rate

Covid-19 has already contributed to a reported 4000+ deaths in just over two months with a kill rate estimated around 3.5%

Absolutely. Never underestimate just how serious this outbreak is. Worst in my lifetime. 

Geoff Kilpatrick
34 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

Absolutely. Never underestimate just how serious this outbreak is. Worst in my lifetime. 

It is potentially the worst virus outbreak since Spanish flu in 1918. One of these every 100 years or so is something the human race will cope with and move on from.

There's a good graph here that compares how lethal flu is with coronavirus. It says for my age group, if I get the flu I have a .06% chance of dying. If I get coronavirus there is a 3.6% chance. I am 60 times more likely to die.

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-compared-to-flu-mortality-rates-2020-3?r=US&IR=T

I'm sure these statistics will change as we gain more knowledge, but, everyone, can we please stop the 'it's just like the flu' chat? 

Edited by 4marsbars

2 minutes ago, 4marsbars said:

There's a good graph here that compares how lethal flu is with coronavirus. It says for my age group, if I get the flu I have a .06% of dying. If I get coronavirus there is a 3.6% chance. I am 60 times more likely to die.

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-compared-to-flu-mortality-rates-2020-3?r=US&IR=T

I'm sure these statistics will change as we gain more knowledge, but, everyone, can we please stop the 'it's just like the flu' chat? 

From that article:

"...an estimated 80% of coronavirus cases are mild, and patients checking into hospitals have the most severe symptoms. People with symptoms mild enough to recover at home without seeking medical treatment aren't counted in the official totals."

So if we also apply that to the flu figures: 310,000 hospitalisations and 18,000 deaths so far, that's a 17.2% death rate?

IveSeenTheLight
7 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

It is potentially the worst virus outbreak since Spanish flu in 1918. One of these every 100 years or so is something the human race will cope with and move on from.

Yep, worse than Typhoid which apparently had Aberdeen in lockdown / quarantine in the 60's.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-26957972

IveSeenTheLight
1 minute ago, kila said:

From that article:

"...an estimated 80% of coronavirus cases are mild, and patients checking into hospitals have the most severe symptoms. People with symptoms mild enough to recover at home without seeking medical treatment aren't counted in the official totals."

So if we also apply that to the flu figures: 310,000 hospitalisations and 18,000 deaths so far, that's a 17.2% death rate?

You could apply the same to both the flu and Covid-19 surely.

4 minutes ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

You could apply the same to both the flu and Covid-19 surely.

My point was the figures they are releasing for coronavirus death rate aren't including those recovering at home with mild symptoms, where as their flu figures are?