Scottish Football officially suspended

Alva-Jambo

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

If I was American I’d be worried - Trump is playing the big dick card about it all but seems

to be doing nothing effective about it

I know everyone basically hates the Tories but I think they are doing a decent job at the moment of playing it pragmatically and in a measured way.

Hugely difficult issue to “manage” 

A decent job.

Why haven’t they suspended flights to and from Italy as a priority?

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Geoff Kilpatrick

• IveSeenTheLight

• ...a bit disco

• Mikey1874

2 hours ago, credit card said:

I'm a Jambo on holiday currently in Vietnam. I'm in quarantine because someone who was on a tour boat we boarded one day after he had left. The guy was on flight VN54 and another passenger on it subsequently tested positive. So 12 of us cooped up on the 5th floor.

I'm locked in a hotel room with the Mrs. Nuclear suited guys with facemasks and gloves take our temperature regularly and food is dropped off in trays outside the door. We will get tested today and need to wait 3 days for the results. If OK we face 14 days quarantine before being released. If not its hospital. British Embassy not interested. Trailfinders good as they will arrange onward travel if OK. Still waiting on insurance company's thoughts.

Anyone who thinks this isn't serious happy to change places with them. At least we have the internet so saw Saturday's highlights.

That's awful mate. My daughter is currently in NZ with Trailfinders so it's good to hear that they're helpful in your case. Thngs seem to be okay with my daughter and her boyfriend at the moment, I haven't heard about many cases in NZ. I hope it all goes well for you, glad you can at least still watch the Jambos, I hope they do something to cheer you up on Wednesday. Good luck mate.

58 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

A decent job.

Why haven’t they suspended flights to and from Italy as a priority?

Should Italians on holiday in Edinburgh be banned from getting a flight home?  What would that achieve?

The Real Maroonblood
14 minutes ago, Longshanks said:

Should Italians on holiday in Edinburgh be banned from getting a flight home?  What would that achieve?

Are you serious?
Give them the chance to return home then suspend flights.

Or should we just let this run it’s course?

Edited by The Real Maroonblood

Tokyo Drifter

Only a matter of time (weeks?) before the EPL postpones games or has  them played behind closed doors. I'm starting to think the semi against The Flumps might not go ahead.

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

If I was American I’d be worried - Trump is playing the big dick card about it all but seems

to be doing nothing effective about it

I know everyone basically hates the Tories but I think they are doing a decent job at the moment of playing it pragmatically and in a measured way.

Hugely difficult issue to “manage” 

I agree, and I hate the tories. 

Tbh if there is an outbreak in the USA the way thier medical practices are set up they have a problem. 

Having a universal health care system really helps in these situations. 

In America with all the companies, the insurance system etc ( and lack off) they might have a massive issue. 

WheatfieldWarrior
6 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Quoted wrong post

Edited by WheatfieldWarrior

tolcross lad
3 hours ago, credit card said:

I'm a Jambo on holiday currently in Vietnam. I'm in quarantine because someone who was on a tour boat we boarded one day after he had left. The guy was on flight VN54 and another passenger on it subsequently tested positive. So 12 of us cooped up on the 5th floor.

I'm locked in a hotel room with the Mrs. Nuclear suited guys with facemasks and gloves take our temperature regularly and food is dropped off in trays outside the door. We will get tested today and need to wait 3 days for the results. If OK we face 14 days quarantine before being released. If not its hospital. British Embassy not interested. Trailfinders good as they will arrange onward travel if OK. Still waiting on insurance company's thoughts.

Anyone who thinks this isn't serious happy to change places with them. At least we have the internet so saw Saturday's highlights.

That's a difficult situation.Hope it turns out ok for you.

IveSeenTheLight
2 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Could point to quarantine/isolation working or like some other bugs it just peaks and dies out for no real reason. First bit of good news since it begun I guess.

Haven't they taken more stringent action though?

credit card
2 hours ago, whodanny said:

That's awful mate. My daughter is currently in NZ with Trailfinders so it's good to hear that they're helpful in your case. Thngs seem to be okay with my daughter and her boyfriend at the moment, I haven't heard about many cases in NZ. I hope it all goes well for you, glad you can at least still watch the Jambos, I hope they do something to cheer you up on Wednesday. Good luck mate.

Thanks pal. We are scheduled for NZ too if we ever get out of here. We are getting nothing in terms of information and basically it's like being in a cell. At least we have a telly. But the room has no balcony so although we can see the sun we cant get at it. Hope your daughter remains safe. Pretty sure that in Vietnam they are mega cautious and certainly it feels much more so when we were in the outside. On the plus side I still have 4 packs of cheese n onion Ringos left🙂 

credit card
48 minutes ago, tolcross lad said:

That's a difficult situation.Hope it turns out ok for you.

Thanks mate. At least we've got internet for a WhatsApp with the others and a telly otherwise staring at 4 walls and a locked window would do us in. Incidentally all 12 of us in lock down were told by The British Embassy last night we would be tested. Its ten to six at night here and none of us have been. Thanks to all other Jambos who've showed support. #freethewheatfiledonehehasntevensneezed

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, credit card said:

Thanks mate. At least we've got internet for a WhatsApp with the others and a telly otherwise staring at 4 walls and a locked window would do us in. Incidentally all 12 of us in lock down were told by The British Embassy last night we would be tested. Its ten to six at night here and none of us have been. Thanks to all other Jambos who've showed support. #freethewheatfiledonehehasntevensneezed

Good luck. 👍

Mr Elwood P
11 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

Matches being postponed appears to be inevitable. Probably the sooner the better. 

They’ve got approaching 7000 cases in Italy and Serie A games are still being played behind closed doors. I think it will be a while before we get any games cancelled in Scotland.

Edited by Mr Elwood P

Francis Albert

I flew from Madrid last night in a packed Iberian Airlines plane with 250 or so others. I went to the (as always totally inadequate) toilet facilities twice, once early in the flight and again towards the end and in both toilets there was no soap available. Maybe some more simple precautions should be made before banning flights and attendance at football games?

4 hours ago, credit card said:

Jesus that's grim mate - hope the tests come back negative and then you keep your sanity for the 14 days!

#freethewheatfieldone should start trending 🤣

Interested to know what people think about postponement v closed-doors matches.

It seems likely that large events will soon have to be rearranged. If and when this happens I will fully support this, by the way. I'm more than happy that governments should use expert opinion (sorry, Michael Gove, people should and do trust experts). Anyway....

If we reach that stage what do we, the fans, think should happen? Options include:

- postponing games till the virus threat subsides (which would presumably be months)

- playing games behind closed doors

- some other more drastic action, like

- declaring the league season over with teams in their present position

I can see that a long period of postponement messes up the close-season and spills over into next season, and might even lead to football resuming in July or August, still playing this season's fixtures.

If that happened, the authorities could shorten next season's league calendar, by, for example, missing out one round of fixtures.

For what it is worth, football is primarily entertainment, which is put on for the benefit of the paying customer. This paying customer would much rather have a delay, however long, than have games played behind closed doors.

There might also be a case for delaying the three remaining cup games (two semis and a final) for however long it takes. The idea of a cup final being played in front of no fans is simply crazy.

John Gentleman
2 minutes ago, 4marsbars said:

It seems likely that large events will soon have to be rearranged. If and when this happens I will fully support this, by the way. I'm more than happy that governments should use expert opinion (sorry, Michael Gove, people should and do trust experts). Anyway....

If we reach that stage what do we, the fans, think should happen? Options include:

- postponing games till the virus threat subsides (which would presumably be months)

I can see that a long period of postponement messes up the close-season and spills over into next season, and might even lead to football resuming in July or August, still playing this season's fixtures.

If that happened, the authorities could shorten next season's league calendar, by, for example, missing out one round of fixtures.

For what it is worth, football is primarily entertainment, which is put on for the benefit of the paying customer. This paying customer would much rather have a delay, however long, than have games played behind closed doors.

There might also be a case for delaying the three remaining cup games (two semis and a final) for however long it takes. The idea of a cup final being played in front of no fans is simply crazy.

You'll find plenty of opinions already expressed further up the thread.

7 minutes ago, 4marsbars said:

Only option to complete the season, if it comes to that, is behind closed doors. If this season or any other is not completed, it must be declared null and void. (Trying to convince myself) I’d feel no different even if Hearts were clear at the top and not the bottom!

Jambo, Goodbye
4 hours ago, Walter Bishop said:

Another fall in cases overnight in China and South Korea.

Where did you read this?

Or do you mean a fall in the rate of new cases? 

16 minutes ago, 4marsbars said:

I saw a tweet claiming that a meeting was held at Hampden and league season will be declared over and present positions will be the default position.

1 minute ago, DETTY29 said:

I saw a tweet claiming that a meeting was held at Hampden and league season will be declared over and present positions will be the default position.

If it gets cancelled they should just declare a 14 team league for next season.

3 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Still think you have closed door options first so along way to go.

I think the big problem will be if if a player catches it and then who do you quarantine, self isolate.

Edited by DETTY29

Francis Albert
3 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Nice for us but hardly fair to Dundee United. Unless they are in the 14 and as things stand we would not.

Jambo, Goodbye
4 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Could point to quarantine/isolation working or like some other bugs it just peaks and dies out for no real reason. First bit of good news since it begun I guess.

I think the quarantine approach is working. But what's important to note is that in korea,  the high escalation of cases was down to the mandatory testing of all members of that stupid cult. (About two thirds of Daegu's cases).

Now that 90% have had their results,  the hope is that once the final 10% are tested,  we'll see a massive drop in new cases being reported. 

The cause of about 5000 cases in Daegu was precisely because people gathered in large groups and didn't quarantine. 

Learning from this, playing football behind closed doors should perhaps be done right now as a precautionary; not a reactionary measure?

Edited by Jambo, Goodbye

3 minutes ago, Jambo, Goodbye said:

I think the quarantine approach is working. But what's important to note is that in korea,  the high escalation of cases was down to the mandatory testing of all members of that stupid cult. (About two thirds of Daegu's cases).

Now that 90% have had their results,  the hope is that once the final 10% are tested,  we'll see a massive drop in new cases being reported. 

The cause of about 5000 cases in Daegu was precisely because people gathered in large groups and didn't quarantine. 

Learning from this, playing football behind closed doors should perhaps be done right now as a precautionary; not a reactionary measure?

Interesting stuff JG and I agree with you regarding football and other major public events. Do it now before we're up to infection rates comparable to Italy.

Dagger Is Back
6 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Nice for us but hardly fair to Dundee United. Unless they are in the 14 and as things stand we would not.

Does it not mean Utd and ICT would come up and the current SPL would stay as is? If they do anything, it will be closed doors and they'll hope that the season reaches a point where things are decided. If a player or club catch it, it has to be either a postponement or null and void. 

Got some schools in Jiangsu province, Qinghai and Guizhou opening their doors again either later this week or early next week, so things are looking likely to be returning to normal unless you are in Wuhan or Hubei province.

9 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Well they are well clear in first or even make it a top 16 for one season then whole of top 4 in division one get promotion and revert to a 14 ( which I think is a preferred choice after that )

Dagger Is Back
9 minutes ago, Jambo, Goodbye said:

I agree. When you think about how many people are meeting daily at sporting events, concerts and the like, it would seem to make sense

Francis Albert
14 hours ago, John Gentleman said:

The side effects are effects are pretty much zero FA. An achy upper-arm for a day or two at worst. Since they moved to the (very) short needles a few years back I don't even experience an ache. It's an inactivated vaccine, so you're not going to catch anything. I've been getting one annually for the last eighteen years and haven't caught the flu once. True, it's not 100% effective because the 'B' strains change constantly. But even if you do catch it there's a good chance the symptoms and duration will be much less severe than if you were unvaccinated. Every flu strain has an ancestor (just like us). So in the event of a strain mutating, a vaccinated person will still have some protection -- because they've been vaccinated against one of its ancestors.

I should also mention that the most recent vaccines offer greater protection. This year's (S. Hemisphere) one is 'quadrivalent' ie, protects against four strains. For folk >65, theres an 'adjunctive' version which gives the immune system an additional boost. 

Thanks for that. My view of the side effects is based on others experience of vaccinations some time ago. I think more could be done on pushing vaccination which to someone not focussed on the issue seems to still focus on the "vulnerable".

I have never been vaccinated and in 67 years have never had flu. Now of course that isn't any reason for people to not be vaccinated but it inevitably influences me. There are of course two issues, my personal risk and the risk my failure to vaccinate puts to other people. The first is up to me. I will pop my clogs in the not too distant future and flu seems to me one of the better options and if it saves me from drooling and incontinent or with dementia in a nursing home for decades then it will be what it used to be described as  - the elderlys friend. As for the risk to others my immunity from flu in 67 years suggest I am not a major risk … but again if that is the issue the focus should be on the general public and not the vulnerable.

I could say more about my dislike of mass medication for the purpose of prolonging life (whatever its quality) but that would take us even more off topic.

Edited by Francis Albert

Dagger Is Back
2 minutes ago, neonjambo said:

Got some schools in Jiangsu province, Qinghai and Guizhou opening their doors again either later this week or early next week, so things are looking likely to be returning to normal unless you are in Wuhan or Hubei province.

Good news buddy. Hope you're both well. 

Francis Albert
1 minute ago, Dagger Is Back said:

I agree. When you think about how many people are meeting daily at sporting events, concerts and the like, it would seem to make sense

What will all these people be doing if all these things are stopped?

Independence
19 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

From H1b5.net?

COBRA meeting this afternoon that may prove interesting re public gatherings. Moving from 'Containment' phase to 'Delay' phase?

Seems sensible to make a bigger league out of this, if the do void the season or end it as it is then they could make next season a 16 team league. 

12 minutes ago, Independence said:

From H1b5.net?

COBRA meeting this afternoon that may prove interesting re public gatherings. Moving from 'Containment' phase to 'Delay' phase?

Heard the same on the radio this morning.

Dagger Is Back
4 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

What will all these people be doing if all these things are stopped?

No idea. Governments and authorities around the world are dictating that games are played behind closed doors. They're clearly doing it for a very good reason. Concerts/events are being cancelled, the Louvre is restricting access. In Southern Italy they're promoting social distancing of a metre.

Not sure they're giving much thought to what those who are told not to go to a football match, will do with their now found spare time to be honest

If games are played behind closed doors here, could top division games be made available on a PPV basis? Could you generate a use once code for ST holders?

2 hours ago, Tokyo Drifter said:

Only a matter of time (weeks?) before the EPL postpones games or has  them played behind closed doors. I'm starting to think the semi against The Flumps might not go ahead.

I’ll be very surprised if the cup semis and final are not held over until late July and August. No way they will play them behind closed doors because of the revenue loss. 

FIFA have just cancelled Asian qualifiers scheduled for later this month and April so I’d be surprised if UEFA don’t do the same now re Euro 2020 play-offs scheduled for later this month. Israel’s coach is already in quarantine which is enough justification for them to cancel I suspect. This would throw Euro2020 finals into real doubt and likely see them postponed until following summer. 

No idea what will happen re our league in terms of closed doors or not but that seems unlikely to me. Just needs one or two teams to have a positive test then everyone goes into quarantine for 14 days so games all off. Training facilities become an issue as well esp in our case if schools and uni’s were closed. Interesting if, as some other posts mentioned,  the SPFL did have plans to propose an increase in top league to 14 teams in 20121 then this summer would now be a good time to do it though how to work out who gets promoted from lower leagues would be challenging in a couple of cases eg Championship - who goes up with United? Probably the least contentious solution though. 

1 hour ago, Francis Albert said:

I flew from Madrid last night in a packed Iberian Airlines plane with 250 or so others. I went to the (as always totally inadequate) toilet facilities twice, once early in the flight and again towards the end and in both toilets there was no soap available. Maybe some more simple precautions should be made before banning flights and attendance at football games?

Toilets in the away end last Tuesday didn’t have hot water, in fact they didn’t even have a hot water tap. Soap and towels gone by midway through first half. 
Didn't expect anything else tbh. 

The whole premise of the Delay phase is to try and ensure that the healthcare system is not overloaded. If they were to just let it spread for example, even at a hospitlisation rate of 10% of cases diagnosed, there would pretty quickly be more patients than there are beds.

Looks like a bit of both which suggests we could be past the worst by end April, early May. Similar findings in Korea now as well. 

13 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Toilets in the away end last Tuesday didn’t have hot water, in fact they didn’t even have a hot water tap. Soap and towels gone by midway through first half. 
Didn't expect anything else tbh. 

You don't need hot water to wash your hands properly, cold works just as well.

IveSeenTheLight
13 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Looks like a bit of both which suggests we could be past the worst by end April, early May. Similar findings in Korea now as well. 

Possibly, if we implement similar containment / delay strategies.

At the moment were not

WheatfieldWarrior
13 minutes ago, Tiger said:

From what I have read covid-19 owes some of its durability to a oily surrounding layer that needs warm or hot water and soap to break down

18 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I don’t think that’s the case for this virus though.

I do agree with you otherwise.  In a normal circumstance, cold water and soap will usually suffice for general hygiene purposes.  :thumbsup: