Scottish Football officially suspended

Alva-Jambo

Clubs might have to cut every player and just start again in August to survive though. I mean god knows how it would work. 

Plus side, maybe Hearts could finally get Lawrence Shankland after the dust settles. 😉😂😉

Edited by JCR

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Geoff Kilpatrick

• IveSeenTheLight

• ...a bit disco

• Mikey1874

Nucky Thompson
28 minutes ago, JamboAl1965 said:

Excuse my idiocy. Yep that’s what I meant. And yep it’s the perfect time to rethink the whole setup

It might be closer than you think. I heard last night from someone who's brother is connected to the board of the SPFL that the whole set up is going to change. A new Highland league, Central league pyramid system.

Seemingly a new 14 team top division in season 2021/22. No news on how many games and set up

Smoked-Glass
38 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

It might be closer than you think. I heard last night from someone who's brother is connected to the board of the SPFL that the whole set up is going to change. A new Highland league, Central league pyramid system.

Seemingly a new 14 team top division in season 2021/22. No news on how many games and set up

Nice 

55 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

14 teams

Home and away = 26 games

Split into top 7 and bottom 7 and play again home and away = 12 games

Total 38 games

If this is true it could also be to accommodate this new UEFA tournament that's third behind the CL and EL. The top 7 having three varying European competitions to compete for.

But if the league had to finish now because of the virus spread, then I'd be on board with those changes from next season to try mitigate the relegation/promotion issue.

Frankfurter
2 minutes ago, kila said:

14 teams

Home and away = 26 games

Total 38 games

Makes sense, only wrinkle is that one team out of 7 will need to sit out on each match day during the split, so you need a couple of extra matchdays.

7 minutes ago, Frankfurter said:

Makes sense, only wrinkle is that one team out of 7 will need to sit out on each match day during the split, so you need a couple of extra matchdays.

A way to have some playing at the weekend and some playing midweek (featuring the team that didn't)?

Quite a few leagues have 14 teams, wonder what they all do

Edited by kila

Geoff Kilpatrick
3 hours ago, dc-jambo said:

The Financial Times just reported that the Bundesleague is about to get canned:

German health minister calls for sports matches, concerts and trade shows to be cancelled

By Olaf Storbeck in Frankfurt

German health minister Jens Spahn on Sunday afternoon recommended that officials should cancel all events with more than 1,000 participants in order to slow down the spread of the virus in Europe's largest economy. 

This could affect football matches, trade shows and concerts. “I am aware of the consequences this will have for citizens as well as organisers,” Mr Spahn said, adding that health was more important.

Germany has slightly more cases than the UK, far less than Italy.

The Scottish and English seasons are going to be either be frozen or voided, imo

He can call for it but can't legislate for it under the German federal system.

JamboAl1965
1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

sounds interesting and good it’s being discussed 

John Gentleman
15 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

I know. It does not guarantee immunity. I don't take it  And when there is a vaccine for Cronavirus I will assess the risk vs the side effects and effectiveness of the vaccine. Thousands die each year of flu despite the vaccine and as I said there isn't a cure for the flu.

The side effects are effects are pretty much zero FA. An achy upper-arm for a day or two at worst. Since they moved to the (very) short needles a few years back I don't even experience an ache. It's an inactivated vaccine, so you're not going to catch anything. I've been getting one annually for the last eighteen years and haven't caught the flu once. True, it's not 100% effective because the 'B' strains change constantly. But even if you do catch it there's a good chance the symptoms and duration will be much less severe than if you were unvaccinated. Every flu strain has an ancestor (just like us). So in the event of a strain mutating, a vaccinated person will still have some protection -- because they've been vaccinated against one of its ancestors.

I should also mention that the most recent vaccines offer greater protection. This year's (S. Hemisphere) one is 'quadrivalent' ie, protects against four strains. For folk >65, theres an 'adjunctive' version which gives the immune system an additional boost. 

Edited by John Gentleman

King Of The Cat Cafe
1 hour ago, kila said:

14 teams

Home and away = 26 games

Total 38 games

If this is true it could also be to accommodate this new UEFA tournament that's third behind the CL and EL. The top 7 having three varying European competitions to compete for.

But if the league had to finish now because of the virus spread, then I'd be on board with those changes from next season to try mitigate the relegation/promotion issue.

Easily done.

Allow promotions in the other leagues to make up the numbers - 14, 10, 10, 10 - but no relegations in any.

What's not to like ;)

(Worth it for the seethe on hubs.net alone...)

Mr Elwood P
5 hours ago, dc-jambo said:

German health minister calls for sports matches, concerts and trade shows to be cancelled

German health minister Jens Spahn on Sunday afternoon recommended that officials should cancel all events with more than 1,000 participants in order to slow down the spread of the virus in Europe's largest economy. 

This could affect football matches, trade shows and concerts. “I am aware of the consequences this will have for citizens as well as organisers,” Mr Spahn said, adding that health was more important.

The Scottish and English seasons are going to be either be frozen or voided, imo

Just watched Juventus v Inter Milan, think it will be a while before any games in Scotland get cancelled. Ok though, Trump says it will be gone by April!

John Gentleman
5 hours ago, dc-jambo said:

Germany has a lot more cases than the UK, in both absolute numbers and cases per 1M of the population.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

Guest ToqueJambo
23 hours ago, CJGJ said:

Because people travel and brought the infection with them. If there was no travel the infection would always stay within a localised area

Have you no idea how these things work ?

And how is it spread once someone has travelled somewhere? 

The average age of Italy’s 350 deaths is 81. Not saying it isn’t something to be worried about as we all have elderly family but why aren’t the news channels mentioning this statistic? 

Geoff Kilpatrick
1 minute ago, ZanderMIM said:

The average age of Italy’s 350 deaths is 81. Not saying it isn’t something to be worried about as we all have elderly family but why aren’t the news channels mentioning this statistic? 

Because the 24 hour news channels love the thrill of this by hyping it to be a "killer virus".

Guest ToqueJambo
16 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

I know. It does not guarantee immunity. I don't take it  And when there is a vaccine for Cronavirus I will assess the risk vs the side effects and effectiveness of the vaccine. Thousands die each year of flu despite the vaccine and as I said there isn't a cure for the flu.

I didn't realise I was interacting with an antivaxxer! 

Jesus. Just google "herd immunity" and educate yourself. Vaccines are only effective if as many people as possible get them. No vaccine is 100% effective.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Guest ToqueJambo
2 minutes ago, ZanderMIM said:

It's all over the news that the disease most seriously affects older people, people with pre-existing conditions, and people with weakened immunity systems, and men more than women. 

John Gentleman
Just now, ToqueJambo said:

It's all over the news that the disease most seriously affects older people, people with pre-existing conditions, and people with weakened immunity systems, and men more than women. 

But that's not the bit that people read TJ. Through conditioning by the red-tops they only read the screaming headlines.

4 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Because the 24 hour news channels love the thrill of this by hyping it to be a "killer virus".

Exactly. Technically influenza is a killer and the elderly die from it every year so why no news on that? Anything for a few clicks.

Guest ToqueJambo
3 minutes ago, ZanderMIM said:

Exactly. Technically influenza is a killer and the elderly die from it every year so why no news on that? Anything for a few clicks.

Let's see how many have died by the time a vaccine is developed, or how many were infected.

Then it will most likely just join the list of things people should get vaccinated against, like flu, and we won't hear about it again that much until some fools decide not to get vaccinated and it makes a return, like some fools have done with measles - meaning measles has made a comeback.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Geoff Kilpatrick
3 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Let's see how many have died by the time a vaccine is developed, or how many were infected.

Then it will most likely just join the list of things people should get vaccinated against, like flu, and we won't hear about it again that much until some fools decide not to get vaccinated and it makes a return, like some fools have done with measles - meaning measles has made a comeback.

I've never taken a flu vaccine in my life simply because I've never had the flu. The flu vaccine doesn't work in the same fashion as measles etc. If it did, flu would no longer exist.

Saint Jambo
4 minutes ago, ZanderMIM said:

The UK averages 600 deaths a year from complications related to flu. Italy has roughly the same population as UK so would expect roughly the same number of deaths from flu on average.

Italy reported their first case of coronavirus on 31 January. They have placed towns in quarantine and yet 5 weeks later they have reported 366 deaths. They added 133 in the last 24hours alone.

The idea that coronavirus is no worse than regular flu is clearly not true.

Guest ToqueJambo
7 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

I've never taken a flu vaccine in my life simply because I've never had the flu. The flu vaccine doesn't work in the same fashion as measles etc. If it did, flu would no longer exist.

No offence but you're a selfish ******* then, and another one who needs to read up on "herd immunity".

Flu is different from measles because it's always changing - there are different strains. That's why you're supposed to get vaccinated ever year, not via couple of doses in a lifetime like measles. 

The coronavirus vaccine if there is one may be a one-time thing or it may end up being something we need to get vaccinated against every year. No-one knows, hence all the precautions being taken.

Edited by ToqueJambo

2 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

The UK averages 600 deaths a year from complications related to flu. Italy has roughly the same population as UK so would expect roughly the same number of deaths from flu on average.

Italy reported their first case of coronavirus on 31 January. They have placed towns in quarantine and yet 5 weeks later they have reported 366 deaths. They added 133 in the last 24hours alone.

600? Where did you get that number from? It’s more than likely going to be 10 times that amount if we are talking UK stats! 

Geoff Kilpatrick
2 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

No offence but you're a selfish ******* then, and another one who needs to read up on "herd immunity".

Flu is different from measles because it's always changing - there are different strains. That's why you're supposed to get vaccinated ever year, not via couple of doses in a lifetime like measles. 

The coronavirus vaccine if there is one may be a one-time thing or it may end up being something we need to get vaccinated against every year. No-one knows, hence all the precautions being taken.

Quite. It changes every year, which is why I don't bother with the vaccine. If I ever get the flu I will get the newest strain. That's the point.

5 hours ago, Disco Dave said:

Lombardia Hearts were at the plot ceremony today. Lets hope Connor Washington was ok after presenting their certificate. 

I was sitting beside them at the game yesterday and they seemed a very nice bunch of lads. Really into the game. BBC News tonight would have you believe they couldn't have left Italy at all!!

Saint Jambo
2 minutes ago, ZanderMIM said:

600? Where did you get that number from? It’s more than likely going to be 10 times that amount if we are talking UK stats! 

"In the UK it is estimated that an average of 600 people a year die from complications of flu."

University of Oxford Vaccine Knowledge Project.

https://vk.ovg.ox.ac.uk/vk/influenza-flu

Got a source for an average of 6,000 deaths a year? Happy to be corrected if you have a more authoritative source for that stat.

9 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

"In the UK it is estimated that an average of 600 people a year die from complications of flu."

University of Oxford Vaccine Knowledge Project.

https://vk.ovg.ox.ac.uk/vk/influenza-flu

Got a source for an average of 6,000 deaths a year? Happy to be corrected if you have a more authoritative source for that stat.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/839350/Surveillance_of_influenza_and_other_respiratory_viruses_in_the_UK_2018_to_2019-FINAL.pdf  government website page 51 of all pages shows the average for England only. I believe 18/19 figure is only up to April 19.

IveSeenTheLight
58 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Quite. It changes every year, which is why I don't bother with the vaccine. If I ever get the flu I will get the newest strain. That's the point.

You do get new strains, hence why the vaccine is adapted as well.

I remember seeing a documentary where they showed they analysed the new strain in Australia in order to adapt the vaccine for us.

Saint Jambo
28 minutes ago, ZanderMIM said:

Interesting, thanks.

I think the difference may be a case of what counts as a death related to flu. Take for example the story linked below from Jan 2018 that is based on Public Health England released stats. It reported 155 deaths from flu between Oct and Jan that year. That certainly suggests that those Government stats are based on a different categorisation to the other government stats you linked to, which seem to be based on modelling in the same was as excess dates are calculated. I suspect the difference is how directly the death is related to flu, but would have to read into it more to be sure.

I guess then for comparison purposes the question is which of these figures used a method closest to the stats currently being released for coronavirus. Given the way the data is sourced in each case it seems to me more likely that the comparable figure for influenza deaths is the Public Health England figure in the hundreds which is based on data being collected in real time, as is currently happening with the coronavirus, rather than the modelled data that is undertaken after the fact. But appreciate that is an educated guess and you might disagree.

What I think it does show is that it isn't straight forward and is probably the kind of things we have experts for. I think I will defer to advice provided by health services on this one.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/society/2018/jan/25/three-times-more-people-dying-from-flu-in-uk-than-last-winter

John Gentleman
1 hour ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

3 minutes ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

You do get new strains, hence why the vaccine is adapted as well.

I remember seeing a documentary where they showed they analysed the new strain in Australia in order to adapt the vaccine for us.

If someone is unvaccinated, they're not only at risk of acquiring the 'new' strain(s), they're also at much higher risk of acquiring the pre-existing ones.

Influenza is delivered in three types: A, B and C. Multiple strains of each type will be circulating in the community at any given point in time – not just the so-called 'flu season'.

Walter Bishop
1 hour ago, Saint Jambo said:

This is England only -

Although flu might not seem like a deadly illness, on average it kills around 17,000 people in England a year.

Public Health England told ITV News: "The number of flu cases and deaths due to flu-related complications varies each flu season.

"The average number of deaths in England for the last five seasons, 2014/15 to 2018/19, was 17,000 deaths annually.

"This ranged from 1,692 deaths last season, 2018/19, to 28,330 deaths in 2014/15."

John Gentleman
11 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

Interesting, thanks.

I think the difference may be a case of what counts as a death related to flu. Take for example the story linked below from Jan 2018 that is based on Public Health England released stats. It reported 155 deaths from flu between Oct and Jan that year. That certainly suggests that those Government stats are based on a different categorisation to the other government stats you linked to, which seem to be based on modelling in the same was as excess dates are calculated. I suspect the difference is how directly the death is related to flu, but would have to read into it more to be sure.

I guess then for comparison purposes the question is which of these figures used a method closest to the stats currently being released for coronavirus. Given the way the data is sourced in each case it seems to me more likely that the comparable figure for influenza deaths is the Public Health England figure in the hundreds which is based on data being collected in real time, as is currently happening with the coronavirus, rather than the modelled data that is undertaken after the fact. But appreciate that is an educated guess and you might disagree.

What I think it does show is that it isn't straight forward and is probably the kind of things we have experts for. I think I will defer to advice provided by health services on this one.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/society/2018/jan/25/three-times-more-people-dying-from-flu-in-uk-than-last-winter

The published high numbers also perturbed the good folk at the British Medical Journal....

https://www.bmj.com/content/361/bmj.k2795/rr-6

Saint Jambo
15 minutes ago, Walter Bishop said:

This is England only -

Although flu might not seem like a deadly illness, on average it kills around 17,000 people in England a year.

Public Health England told ITV News: "The number of flu cases and deaths due to flu-related complications varies each flu season.

"The average number of deaths in England for the last five seasons, 2014/15 to 2018/19, was 17,000 deaths annually.

"This ranged from 1,692 deaths last season, 2018/19, to 28,330 deaths in 2014/15."

As noted in my post above, those stats seem to be calculated using a very different methodology to the stats I quoted. Having dug a bit more, this article linked below (along with the article JG linked above) would seem to back up my educated guess that the PHE figures for flu deaths in the hundreds per year are a better comparator to the current coronavirus numbers than the tens of thousands of deaths figures that come from an after the fact excess mortality calculation.

https://straightstatistics.fullfact.org/article/flu-deaths-triumph-statistics-not-virology

To get my posts a bit more on topic for a Terrace discussion, what does any of this mean for football in Scotland? Tomorrow's meeting in England of UK Government, sports bodies and broadcasters should give some sense. My sense is it is quite likely that they will say the talks were useful but they have agreed there is no need to take any concrete steps at this stage. It will probably take another significant jump in UK cases before they looked at closed door games.

UEFA have a much bigger problem as Italy cancelling games, other countries increasing travel restrictions, or a player travelling to Italy and then having to self-isolate due to showing signs of flu is going to cause havoc.  With 2 Italian teams in each of the Champs League and the Europa League it is hard to see how they proceed in that circumstance.

Footballfirst
24 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

To get my posts a bit more on topic for a Terrace discussion, what does any of this mean for football in Scotland? Tomorrow's meeting in England of UK Government, sports bodies and broadcasters should give some sense. My sense is it is quite likely that they will say the talks were useful but they have agreed there is no need to take any concrete steps at this stage. It will probably take another significant jump in UK cases before they looked at closed door games.

UEFA have a much bigger problem as Italy cancelling games, other countries increasing travel restrictions, or a player travelling to Italy and then having to self-isolate due to showing signs of flu is going to cause havoc.  With 2 Italian teams in each of the Champs League and the Europa League it is hard to see how they proceed in that circumstance.

I agree with the highlighted bit, however I think there would be a rapid change in their position should a player become a confirmed case of the virus.  That would inevitably lead to their team mates being required to self isolate, meaning that they couldn't continue to play either with spectators present, or behind closed doors.

I think that it is worthwhile looking at the Italian situation as something that could happen in the UK over the next few weeks. We may be lucky residing on an island as we do, but we should always be prepared for the worst. Italy's experience may give us a preview of what is still to come.

Geoff Kilpatrick
1 hour ago, John Gentleman said:

If someone is unvaccinated, they're not only at risk of acquiring the 'new' strain(s), they're also at much higher risk of acquiring the pre-existing ones.

Influenza is delivered in three types: A, B and C. Multiple strains of each type will be circulating in the community at any given point in time – not just the so-called 'flu season'.

Accepted but in my 46th year on the planet with not one occurrence, I like my odds.

John Gentleman
15 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

As noted in my post above, those stats seem to be calculated using a very different methodology to the stats I quoted. Having dug a bit more, this article linked below (along with the article JG linked above) would seem to back up my educated guess that the PHE figures for flu deaths in the hundreds per year are a better comparator to the current coronavirus numbers than the tens of thousands of deaths figures that come from an after the fact excess mortality calculation.

https://straightstatistics.fullfact.org/article/flu-deaths-triumph-statistics-not-virology

The numbers you quoted earlier make sense as they equate with the Australian numbers. Given the similarity in demographics, health systems etc that's what I'd expect.

Assuming sport is a devolved issue (is it?) I think a decision will be made for, rather than by, the Scottish gov't. Although the UK isn't faring too badly, the numbers from adjacent countries (France, Germany, Netherlands) are just plain awful. Given that, I don't think it'll be long before the UK moves from the 'containment' phase to "delay' (social distancing) and with that comes cancellation/postponement of sporting fixtures. If/when it comes to that, I'd prefer that matches be played at a later date. If that's not possible, when circumstances permit, we should do a season 'restart' with each club 'inheriting' its points from the date of suspension. I realise this approach raises a zillion questions (player movements, contracts etc) but it might be the least-worst option. I don't think playing behind closed doors is a good idea as it could well tip many clubs into insolvency (see earlier discussion on this). With Hearts scarf off, do we really want to be playing in a 6-team league at some point in the future? 

Geoff Kilpatrick
37 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

They're going to shut the whole country down soon. Guaranteed. 

What country? Will there be quarantine pockets in the UK? Possibly. The whole country? Unlikely.

credit card

I'm a Jambo on holiday currently in Vietnam. I'm in quarantine because someone who was on a tour boat we boarded one day after he had left. The guy was on flight VN54 and another passenger on it subsequently tested positive. So 12 of us cooped up on the 5th floor.

I'm locked in a hotel room with the Mrs. Nuclear suited guys with facemasks and gloves take our temperature regularly and food is dropped off in trays outside the door. We will get tested today and need to wait 3 days for the results. If OK we face 14 days quarantine before being released. If not its hospital. British Embassy not interested. Trailfinders good as they will arrange onward travel if OK. Still waiting on insurance company's thoughts.

Anyone who thinks this isn't serious happy to change places with them. At least we have the internet so saw Saturday's highlights.

12 minutes ago, credit card said:

I'm a Jambo on holiday currently in Vietnam. I'm in quarantine because someone who was on a tour boat we boarded one day after he had left. The guy was on flight VN54 and another passenger on it subsequently tested positive. So 12 of us cooped up on the 5th floor.

I'm locked in a hotel room with the Mrs. Nuclear suited guys with facemasks and gloves take our temperature regularly and food is dropped off in trays outside the door. We will get tested today and need to wait 3 days for the results. If OK we face 14 days quarantine before being released. If not its hospital. British Embassy not interested. Trailfinders good as they will arrange onward travel if OK. Still waiting on insurance company's thoughts.

Anyone who thinks this isn't serious happy to change places with them. At least we have the internet so saw Saturday's highlights.

**** man hope things work out well.

Tom Hardy’s Dug

If I was American I’d be worried - Trump is playing the big dick card about it all but seems

to be doing nothing effective about it

I know everyone basically hates the Tories but I think they are doing a decent job at the moment of playing it pragmatically and in a measured way.

Hugely difficult issue to “manage” 

Tom Hardy’s Dug

One point people are missing is that it’s not just old folk that die from this.

the majority yes - but the poor ******* in China - the dr that first discovered this was in his 30s.

Also the first British person to get it in Chinal

still needed time in hospital as he developed

pneumonia.

kingantti1874
1 minute ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

One point people are missing is that it’s not just old folk that die from this.

the majority yes - but the poor ******* in China - the dr that first discovered this was in his 30s.

Also the first British person to get it in Chinal

still needed time in hospital as he developed

pneumonia.

Chinese bumped him off imo

IveSeenTheLight
47 minutes ago, credit card said:

Here’s hoping that you test negative and the 14 day quarantine is just precautionary.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
1 minute ago, kingantti1874 said:

possible I guess - but still the point stands generally I think - it is killing people under 60 though

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

Nucky Thompson
24 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

That's exactly what I thought

24 minutes ago, Walter Bishop said:

Another fall in cases overnight in China and South Korea.

Could point to quarantine/isolation working or like some other bugs it just peaks and dies out for no real reason. First bit of good news since it begun I guess.