Scottish Football officially suspended

Alva-Jambo

36 minutes ago, Shaggy2 said:

Can’t finish 2019-20 in July/August. What about players whose contracts end in May/June? Do we get to keep them for an extra month or two or do we have replace them in order to play the last 6 or 7 games? For me, it’s either behind closed doors or null and void because the season is not complete. And no, I wouldn’t be after my ST refund.

Just throwing alternatives out there, I know it's an almost impossible situation to postpone. Closed doors is the most likely IMO but also the worst option for us, again IMO

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Geoff Kilpatrick

• IveSeenTheLight

• ...a bit disco

• Mikey1874

24 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

There is no leeway to shove back the season. There is no space to play even more games in the season, for top teams especially. 

It would have to coincide with a reduction in games next season I agree. Which is why itll not happen.

Edited by Poseidon

Nookie Bear
21 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Only their injured players were impacted. They were all at Scotstoun for treatment. Believe one of our medical staff was there as well and is now in isolation.  

Cheers, i assumed their had been some contact between all members of the team prior to the diagnosis

1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

I think they did it with 7 players irc. Will be interesting to see what happens about the Forest owner.

See other post. Only injured players were at Scotstoun. 

The issue is there is no current vaccination. If you take away the flu vaccination the death figures for flu would be far higher likely on the same kind of range as I’d being spoken about for covid19. 

In virus terms it is similar to flu, it’s just we are further along with the understanding of flu. 

As someone said scrapping next seasons league cup might be the best option if it comes to a point of being unable to play games. 

Would give an additional few weeks to catch up.

Tenaciousdandy
Just now, HMFC86 said:

As someone said scrapping next seasons league cup might be the best option if it comes to a point of being unable to play games. 

Would give an additional few weeks to catch up.

Cant do that for the teams that are in euro qualifiers, we would need to know who those teams are as well 

Sexton Hardcastle

German paper running with the story Euro 2020 moves to 2021. 

Seems sensible and extend the league campaigns if required. 

Shite for being in the hole for tickets.

credit card
On 09/03/2020 at 20:46, The Real Maroonblood said:

It must be like being in jail.

Worse in jail you would get visitors, exercise and R&R

Fly the Saltire

Behind closed doors pretty runious for many clubs and Hearts lose potentially £1 million from Scottish Cup revenues

Lord Beni of Gorgie
16 minutes ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

German paper running with the story Euro 2020 moves to 2021. 

Seems sensible and extend the league campaigns if required. 

Shite for being in the hole for tickets.

Shit happens, especially for the 4000 dead :(

Guest ToqueJambo
2 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

There is no leeway to shove back the season. There is no space to play even more games in the season, for top teams especially. 

Diddums. They'll just have to suck it up, especially the poor top teams with their big squads. They can condense the season if needed and play Sat-Wed for a while if they have to.

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Poseidon said:

It would have to coincide with a reduction in games next season I agree. Which is why itll not happen.

It’s going to be chaos no matter what and I wouldn’t trust the UK government or the SFA to make the right/sensible decision. I saw the Peterborough owner say that only letting in season ticket holders so they’re spaced out is an idea, can’t see that working either.

Pasquale for King
Just now, ToqueJambo said:

Diddums. They'll just have to suck it up, especially the poor top teams with their big squads. They can condense the season if needed and play Sat-Wed for a while if they have to.

I think they already are tbh, what would we say if Naismith/Boyce/ Washington caught it for example.

Pasquale for King
34 minutes ago, Fly the Saltire said:

Behind closed doors pretty runious for many clubs and Hearts lose potentially £1 million from Scottish Cup revenues

Someone mentioned some form of live steam to make some money from games? It would take a bit of agreement but I’m sure if they look into it now and prepare properly it can be done. It is the SFA though.

Jambo 4 Ever
2 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

why not?

You see tennis players playing a match every other day with a lot of running

Surely these overpaid footballers can do the same!

Squads a big enough too

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, Natural Orders said:

why not?

You see tennis players playing a match every other day with a lot of running

Surely these overpaid footballers can do the same!

Squads a big enough too

There are barely any free weeks in the football calendar as it is, if Rangers had beaten us they would’ve struggled to play their game in hand v St Johnstone for example, or if it had been a draw the derby would’ve been postponed and their game with Hamilton would’ve been off too. 
We also don’t know how long this will all last. Closed door games as long as players don’t catch it seem to be the way forward but nobody knows really.

annushorribilis III
2 hours ago, Shaggy2 said:

Can’t finish 2019-20 in July/August.

What about players whose contracts end in May/June? Do we get to keep them for an extra month or two or do we have replace them in order to play the last 6 or 7 games?

For me, it’s either behind closed doors or null and void because the season is not complete. And no, I wouldn’t be after my ST refund.

No reason why clubs couldn't extend the season - it might mean some clubs having to play without some top players (Euro commitments) but it happens in rugby & cricket so it's not ground breaking. 

Contract expirations ? Give the clubs dispensations to end to the end of the season (whatever date that might be). 

The big issue for me is going to be the mass migrations involved for the 2020 Euros which are only 10 weeks away. I can't see how that can be allowed to go ahead. 

Pasquale for King
45 minutes ago, Fly the Saltire said:

Four home games could be about the same depending on who they’re against.

Francis Albert
4 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Nobody spends decades in them, around 2-3 years is the usual period of time in private care homes anyway. Bingo and singalongs are rare, more starting into space in silence.

Believe that if you like. It will be a reassurance for you as you age … nonsense though it is.

And of course you may, if you find that out through personal experience, and are lucky, no longer be aware! Or only dimly and intermittently aware.

Edited by Francis Albert

21 minutes ago, annushorribilis III said:

No reason why clubs couldn't extend the season - it might mean some clubs having to play without some top players (Euro commitments) but it happens in rugby & cricket so it's not ground breaking. 

Contract expirations ? Give the clubs dispensations to end to the end of the season (whatever date that might be). 

The big issue for me is going to be the mass migrations involved for the 2020 Euros which are only 10 weeks away. I can't see how that can be allowed to go ahead. 

It won't be that hard to extend contracts etc. 

There are solutions. It does seem they are talking about a 2 to 3 month peak which could end in June. 

More midweek games to catch up. 

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Believe that if you like. It will be a reassurance for you as you age … nonsense though it is.

And of course you may, if you find that out through personal experience, no longer be aware!

I already have thanks, my dad had dementia and the person running the care home told me 2/3 years is the average most folk last in there. You would see folk for a while and then new folk would arrive, not a nice place to spend any time in and hopefully none of us will have too.

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

There are solutions. It does seem they are talking about a 2 to 3 month peak which could end in June. 

Is there any guarantee that it will only last until the summer, there’s not that many free midweeks to catch up especially if you’re pushing back European dates because you don’t know who’s playing in the tournaments.

annushorribilis III
5 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

I agree. 

The key to this is when the peak ends.

5 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Is there any guarantee that it will only last until the summer, there’s not that many free midweeks to catch up especially if you’re pushing back European dates because you don’t know who’s playing in the tournaments.

China started end of December and its settling down. 2 to 3 months. 

The possible options include something like

1. April to June shutdown / close season

2. July to Aug complete season 

3. Another break in September 

4. New season starts October. 

More midweek games. Cut out League Cup groups, no Cup replays etc. 

Edited by Mikey1874

Guest ToqueJambo
43 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I think they already are tbh, what would we say if Naismith/Boyce/ Washington caught it for example.

Missing our best players would just be same old same old for us!

Guest ToqueJambo
Just now, Mikey1874 said:

China started in December and its settling down. 

The possible options include something like

1. April to June shutdown / close season

2. July to Aug complete season 

3. Another break in September 

4. New season starts October. 

More midweek games. Cut out League Cup groups, no Cup replays etc. 

Could also cancel the winter break.

annushorribilis III
7 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

For the vast majority of clubs it's not a major problem but for the elite clubs with the convoluted CL structure and long drawn out competition it's a potential headache, but that's their problem. 

National associations could streamline their own cup competitions - straight knockout, no replays,   which would free up slots. It might mean binning winter breaks. 

For Europa league games - that could very easily be streamlined/ start later . 

Francis Albert
13 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I already have thanks, my dad had dementia and the person running the care home told me 2/3 years is the average most folk last in there. You would see folk for a while and then new folk would arrive, not a nice place to spend any time in and hopefully none of us will have too.

Sorry to hear that but hope as we might many of us will have to spend time there, or see close relatives doing so. And many for more than the average time you quote. My post was about age-related illness and disability not just dementia and from personal experience I know a close relative  who spent a decade in a care/nursing home who was never near the most long term inmate. Anyway I think we have drifted far enough off topic!

Guest ToqueJambo
2 minutes ago, Barack said:

Definitely coming to tipping point. More and more pressure being heaped upon the FA & SFA, as more and more authorities react stronger.

Relegated by a virus. We'll laugh about it in pub quizzes years from now.

It'll be closed doors games like everyone else is doing. Mind you, this is the SFA...

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, Barack said:

I know it's been covered at some point on here, but I'm late to this party. The financial hit needs to be alleviated some how.

The SFA haven't got the money. Do they go to the Scottish Government, who in turn go to the UK, asking for some kind of emergency funding due to extreme and unforeseen events. 

Total minefield of permutations involving clubs. 

Definitely, but something that will affect lots of different businesses not just football clubs. I'm sure the OF will step up with their millions to help their community of football clubs.... although I think Rangers will be amongst the most at threat.

12 minutes ago, Barack said:

I know it's been covered at some point on here, but I'm late to this party. The financial hit needs to be alleviated some how.

The SFA haven't got the money. Do they go to the Scottish Government, who in turn go to the UK, asking for some kind of emergency funding due to extreme and unforeseen events. 

Total minefield of permutations involving clubs. 

Doubt it will be closed doors in Scotland.

Some clubs would be in serious trouble. 

Edit- 

Edited by Mikey1874

highlandjambo3
On 07/03/2020 at 14:43, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

If a team.gets this in Scotland it is bound to be the vermin as they akways like to claim a first! :ninja:

The vermin have been scurrying around in filth for years......like cockroaches they will be immune.

8 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Doubt it will be closed doors in Scotland.

Some clubs would be in serious trouble. 

Edit- 

Betcha it’ll just be OF games

41 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Missing our best players would just be same old same old for us!

Then the rumours would start that it was Levein going around spreading it through the squad on purpose. 

Guest ToqueJambo
8 minutes ago, Barack said:

Again, sorry if covered. By just seen this from Ian Maxwell.

"Member clubs are urged to review the terms of any business interruption insurance they may hold, in the event that future matches may be cancelled or have to be held behind closed doors."

Now that's fine and dandy, probably up to a certain level. But the SPFL/SFA, should be ensuring those clubs who somehow could get the boaby from their insurers, on some kind of technicality, are recompensed. It's without precedent, and imo common sense and practicality need to be taken into account.

Again though...it's Scottish Football authorities.

They'll just trot out the whole "we work for the clubs - it's up to them to tell us what to do" line when challenged.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Beat St Mirren and Livi and be above 2 teams and then they can call it.

Realistically in the next 2-3 weeks i see us going behind close doors for perhaps the rest of the season.

Edited by Jamboelite

Guest ToqueJambo

Kind of joking but I suppose the other thing they could do is have play offs at the time they stop the league. Bottom vs top and second bottom vs second top. Same for Europe - 4th can play 3rd.

And Celtic vs Rangers for the title if Celtic haven't won it. 🤣

Fire_At_The_Disco
1 minute ago, Barack said:

Be nice to hear at least one OF game without Sectarian singing.

They will pipe it in no doubt

2 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Reckon they will go “closed door” after the old firm game this Sunday. 

Probably two sets of fans that can safely get together due to their hardened, tried and tested immune systems to be fair. 

Interesting Stendel commenting on it today saying the league should finish all games rather than finishing it as it is. Possibly he knows more about the SPFL rules/plans? 

1 hour ago, ToqueJambo said:

Could also cancel the winter break.

And play more midweek fixtures for one season, even if only three or four extra. Slight loss of income but nothing like the financial hit from closed door games. 

A linfield football player has the virus. The entire German ice hockey league has just been completely cancelled. That league is bigger than our football league with much bigger tv contracts.  Sorry but its only a matter of time.

Guest ToqueJambo
18 minutes ago, Barack said:

Be nice to hear at least one OF game without Sectarian singing.

Assuming it's still televised imagine the mass sing-songs in pubs around Glasgow though!

Geoff Kilpatrick
5 minutes ago, connlach said:

A linfield football player has the virus. The entire German ice hockey league has just been completely cancelled. That league is bigger than our football league with much bigger tv contracts.  Sorry but its only a matter of time.

It will be interesting to see what the Irish League does. The players there are part-timers, mostly, so they aren't together in changing rooms every day. An amateur player on Saturday played a game in Norn Iron and then tested positive for the virus, which is an example of the range of effects it can have on people.