Scottish Football officially suspended

Alva-Jambo

Jambo, Goodbye
2 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

One metre seems to be the guide.

Right,  I'll adjust to one meter. Answer the questions. 

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Geoff Kilpatrick

• IveSeenTheLight

• ...a bit disco

• Mikey1874

IveSeenTheLight
5 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I can see where FA is coming from. You'd probably be exposed to close contact with just as many people if you took a bus to the pub and then out for a meal as you would if you went to the football.

Its a valid point.

I'm not debating whether games should be behind closed doors or not, but just discussing that its worthy of consideration.

Certainly there does appear to precedent being put in place with games in Europe being played behind closed doors (and not just Italy)

3 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

I am not sure what the South Korea church thery is or its direct relevance to football rather than say churches.

Nor how football turnstiles differ from say tube station or other turnstiles, or the doors to every public building, many more heavily used than football turnstiles.

They believe the explosion it outbreak in South Korea is believed to be linked to one person spreading the virus in a large congregation (between 400-600).

With Tynecastle (as an example) having up to 30 times that, there is an argument that it could increase the risk of a similar event happening at football grounds

1 minute ago, Jambo, Goodbye said:

I'm sure they be able to remain open. It's the crowds cramming in and then moving to another and then to a stadium, and then to another pub after, all in sequence. That's what you're trying to avoid.  

A pint on a footballess day won't be much risk.

I'd you're worried about the pub on match day, don't go to the pub on match day. 

As has already been pointed out, the risk of going to the actual games is no worse than getting on a bus, on the tube, on a train or to a busy restaurant.

Wash your hands regularly, don't touch your face and currently you'll more than likely be completely fine.

If this explodes then by all means cancel big events but also shutdown public transport etc otherwise the effect will be minimal.

27 minutes ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

Really????

Its almost double digit weather.

Anywhoo, gloves could in fact be worse

So single digit weather then? So gloves.

Interesting to hear they're useless though.

33 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

It can seemingly.

It kills coronaviruses but not Covid-19 is what I read last week but then again that might be wrong.

Francis Albert
5 minutes ago, Jambo, Goodbye said:

Right,  I'll adjust to one meter. Answer the questions. 

I gave my estimate earlier which yo u can correct if you disagree. It is certainly a very small fraction of 17000 at Tynie. And in numners much less than in many other daily (not weekly or fortnightly) activities.

Jambo, Goodbye
1 minute ago, Taffin said:

I'd you're worried about the pub on match day, don't go to the pub on match day. 

As has already been pointed out, the risk of going to the actual games is no worse than getting on a bus, on the tube, on a train or to a busy restaurant.

Wash your hands regularly, don't touch your face and currently you'll more than likely be completely fine.

If this explodes then by all means cancel big events but also shutdown public transport etc otherwise the effect will be minimal.

That's not a fact though,  it's an opinion, I've pointed out other things in response though. 

The busiest times to be on a bus or train is before kick off. And people mingle about less on the tube. You pass through a few hundred at least in a stadium. 

And there's plenty stadiums far larger than Tynie. 

To compare getting in and out of Tynecastle to getting on and off the number 1 bus; for me at least,  is not very convincing 🤨

Jambo, Goodbye
2 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

I gave my estimate earlier which yo u can correct if you disagree. It is certainly a very small fraction of 17000 at Tynie. And in numners much less than in many other daily (not weekly or fortnightly) activities.

You can answer the questions directly if you don't mind. 

You at Tynie.

A fan in a large a EPL stadium. 

What caused the Daegu outbreak. If you know,  why isn't it comparable? 

I'm open to being convinced 👍

IveSeenTheLight

At the moment , its not the governments position to close / cancel large scale events, but this remains under review.

It seems their playing a balancing act trying not to cause panic, telling people to continue their lives as normal and when they need to invoke stricter measures.

Schools in Scotland will remain open for now but that policy will be kept "under review" as coronavirus is expected to spread.

First Minister Nicola Sturgeon also said it was currently "not appropriate" to cancel large-scale events in Scotland.

However, there will be an "increasing focus" on moving to the delay phase.

There have now been 23 confirmed coronavirus cases in Scotland, a rise of five from Sunday.

Ms Sturgeon said all the cases so far could be traced to international travel to affected areas, or to other confirmed cases.

Scotland and the UK remains in the "containment phase", but the first minister said there was an "increasing inevitability" of a significant outbreak.

She told a news conference in Edinburgh: "Increasingly, the focus of discussions is on the move into what is called the delay phase.

"That is when efforts switch to measures that will delay the spread of the virus, flatten the infection curve and reduce the numbers of people that are infected at any one time."

Francis Albert
4 minutes ago, Jambo, Goodbye said:

You can answer the questions directly if you don't mind. 

You at Tynie.

A fan in a large a EPL stadium. 

What caused the Daegu outbreak. If you know,  why isn't it comparable? 

I'm open to being convinced 👍

I gave a response to your questions or some of them at least. The precise numbers are not the point. The post you quote is the point but you made no response to that despite quoting it.

And your belief that people don't "linger" on the tube suggests you have never travelled on the tube in London or the equivalents in other major cities.

10 minutes ago, Jambo, Goodbye said:

That's not a fact though,  it's an opinion, I've pointed out other things in response though. 

The busiest times to be on a bus or train is before kick off. And people mingle about less on the tube. You pass through a few hundred at least in a stadium. 

And there's plenty stadiums far larger than Tynie. 

To compare getting in and out of Tynecastle to getting on and off the number 1 bus; for me at least,  is not very convincing 🤨

I get the sense you don't commute in a major city at rush hour. Equally it's not something I'd like to argue about so I'll continue to go to football and other sporting events until we are advised not to. You enjoy the safety of your own home. You may well be proven right and I'll get covid-19, in which case I'll regret my choices.

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, Tiger said:

You don't need hot water to wash your hands properly, cold works just as well.

Tbf, does the virus not die at over 27oc?

Jambo, Goodbye
4 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I get the sense you don't commute in a major city at rush hour. Equally it's not something I'd like to argue about so I'll continue to go to football and other sporting events until we are advised not to. You enjoy the safety of your own home. You may well be proven right and I'll get covid-19, in which case I'll regret my choices.

Incidentally I'm in Daegu,  about 2.5m, it used to be a busy commute but now the buses and subways are empty. After two weeks in my home,  I'm past enjoying it. Turning into Howard bloody Hughes. 

Hopefully the UK doesn't reach the point were anything needs playing behind closed doors. Especially with the semi final coming up 🙁.  Wouldn't wish for any Jambo to miss making it a Hibee Hampden Hatrick!

Bazzas right boot

Once the schools close then a lot of folk cannot work. 

Could be interesting how employers deal with this. 

Bazzas right boot
53 minutes ago, Crete said:

Did people not wash their hands before Corona virus.

This is  troubling. 

Lot of clarity *******s about. 

Just now, Jambo, Goodbye said:

Incidentally I'm in Daegu,  about 2.5m, it used to be a busy commute but now the buses and subways are empty. After two weeks in my home,  I'm past enjoying it. Turning into Howard bloody Hughes. 

Hopefully the UK doesn't reach the point were anything needs playing behind closed doors. Especially with the semi final coming up 🙁.  Wouldn't wish for any Jambo to miss making it a Hibee Hampden Hatrick!

Arguing whether Hearts games should go ahead is incidental in that case then! Keep safe over there, and if it gets to that level here I'll certainly be of a different tune. I was worried when I was in North-Rhine Westphalia last week as it was accelerating quickly. Here, in the UK, I'm just not overly worried by it yet. Key part is yet.

Jambo, Goodbye
21 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

I gave a response to your questions or some of them at least. The precise numbers are not the point. The post you quote is the point but you made no response to that despite quoting it.

And your belief that people don't "linger" on the tube suggests you have never travelled on the tube in London or the equivalents in other major cities.

What's your number then? 12?

I asked for an estimate,  not a precise number.

Would you say 12 for the larger stadiums? Let's say 20, that's still laughably low imo. 

How about Daegu, the point i think kinda proves mass gatherings are a bad idea right now. 

Edited by Jambo, Goodbye

Jambo, Goodbye
1 minute ago, Taffin said:

Arguing whether Hearts games should go ahead is incidental in that case then! Keep safe over there, and if it gets to that level here I'll certainly be of a different tune. I was worried when I was in North-Rhine Westphalia last week as it was accelerating quickly. Here, in the UK, I'm just not overly worried by it yet. Key part is yet.

I will always agree with you that games should go ahead btw. Totally should. 

I've just seen first hand how quickly things can change. And i know what caused it. If we switched places maybe we'd be on the opposite sides of our arguments. Who knows. Hopefully you'll not miss any games going forward.

King Of The Cat Cafe
1 hour ago, i8hibsh said:

As just posted on the 'Six Nations thread' this is all getting very silly.  The world seems to be falling to it's knees for a virus that dettol can kill.  Absolutely ridiculous the panic setting in for all this.  Sums up the world today though. 

Up to a point, Lord Copper.

No one can say that with assurance.  Even Dettol, the people who make it  can only say:

"...we would expect our Dettol products (listed above) to be effective against the new strain."

Meanwhile, it's only a guess, but I would expect that Dettol can kill errant apostrophes.  That is one of its properties. 

2 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

Toilets in the away end last Tuesday didn’t have hot water, in fact they didn’t even have a hot water tap. Soap and towels gone by midway through first half. 
Didn't expect anything else tbh. 

The toilets in the Gorgie Stand(main stand side) had no water and no paper towels last Saturday. 

There have been numerous occasions when the water has been cut off in the main stand as well. 

The club would get hammered if the H&S people came round checking. 

I thought Stadiums were meant to be safety checked before opening on a match day. 

In the current climate these failings are criminal. 

King Of The Cat Cafe
1 minute ago, luckydug said:

The toilets in the Gorgie Stand(main stand side) had no water and no paper towels last Saturday. 

There have been numerous occasions when the water has been cut off in the main stand as well. 

The club would get hammered if the H&S people came round checking. 

I thought Stadiums were meant to be safety checked before opening on a match day. 

In the current climate these failings are criminal. 

Judging by the number of people I saw walking out without even looking at the sinks, it didn't really matter.

I think I got the last two pieces of paper towel in the Gorgie toilets (Wheatfield corner) at half time.

Then again, who needs hand towels when you have a scarf...

2 hours ago, Tiger said:

You don't need hot water to wash your hands properly, cold works just as well.

I’ll take the govt/medical advice and say you do. 

Pasquale for King
On 06/03/2020 at 00:38, whodanny said:

'Sakes ! Is China in Leith ?

I won’t be going anywhere near Leith if possible, standard procedure that though 😜.

6 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

I’ll take the govt/medical advice and say you do. 

I think that's what we should all be doing. 

Too many folk who think they know better than the experts. 

Pasquale for King

It looks like in a matter of weeks games might be behind closed doors if it spreads as quickly here as elsewhere. Imagine the semi final being played in an empty Hampden.

If players catch it then who knows what will happen, our three GKs will be ok obviously 🙄.

If only the world would get together and take action against diseases that are actually VERY serious like malaria the world would be a better place.  Malaria could be wiped out in months. 

Pasquale for King
16 minutes ago, luckydug said:

I think that's what we should all be doing. 

Too many folk who think they know better than the experts. 

Not sure if I trust the UK government to do anything that doesn’t suit their agenda.

98B8882E-85DB-449F-8907-99DFED797AD5.jpeg

The Real Maroonblood
25 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Not sure if I trust the UK government to do anything that doesn’t suit their agenda.

:Shoosh: 

Edited by The Real Maroonblood

22 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Mid February and everyone was being temp checked at Italian airports, that went well.

Pasquale for King
Just now, SE16 3LN said:

Mid February and everyone was being temp checked at Italian airports, that went well.

At least they were checking and hopefully dealing with anyone showing symptoms. 

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

:Shoosh: 

Johnson at today's meeting. 

If he was there for more than a photo op, just a handshake and out the back door.

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

If he was there for more than a photo op, just a handshake and out the back door.

:lol:

1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

At least they were checking and hopefully dealing with anyone showing symptoms. 

Temp checks are all you can do. I don't believe that will make any diffrence at all (see Italy as an example). Shut down our borders? Too late its here already. All you can do is lock down UK. Do you want that? Do you think it will work. Do you think the consequences are too great? Blaming Boris and Westminster is infantile though.

1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

Don't think you're allowed to take photos there, hopefully he got lifted. 

8 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Today was the day to lock the UK down and we've ****ed it

I feel the same.  Lock down before it gets worse instead of this time in a week/two weeks when it could be carnage. 

Footballfirst

Just been listening to the latest briefing from Boris and the health professionals.  It seems that they are expecting to enter the "delay" phase in 10 to 14 days time.

It is suggested that more home working would be recommended,  school closures would be considered and limits on public gatherings imposed.

Self isolation for 7 days, even for minor respiratory conditions, will also be recommended at that point 

Edited by Footballfirst

Footballfirst
2 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

Italy have dropped all sporting events, til april, assume that means no Serie A games, even behind closed doors?

Pasquale for King
49 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

Temp checks are all you can do. I don't believe that will make any diffrence at all (see Italy as an example). Shut down our borders? Too late its here already. All you can do is lock down UK. Do you want that? Do you think it will work. Do you think the consequences are too great? Blaming Boris and Westminster is infantile though.

If you have the symptoms they can try and deal with it, they wouldn’t waste money doing it if it didn’t. Anyone coming back from a badly affected area should be tested, as they did with the people they quarantined in England. 
As the foreign office usually do only absolutely essential travel to these areas should be the advice.
Im not blaming anyone for the spread of it but the UK government have had weeks to prepare as best they can and like you all the “consequences” appear to be about harming business and the economy, I’m more concerned about the people dying. 

Pasquale for King
30 minutes ago, Longshanks said:

Yeah that’s the most important aspect of this.

Bazzas right boot
33 minutes ago, Longshanks said:

Why do you hope he got lifted? 

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Yeah that’s the most important aspect of this.

😂😂😂👍

Nookie Bear
1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

Firstly, we should not have allowed any flight from Italy to land here. 

Secondly, had we shut the borders like many are suggesting , it would be seen as part of a government agenda to halt immigration. 

13 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

If you have the symptoms they can try and deal with it, they wouldn’t waste money doing it if it didn’t. Anyone coming back from a badly affected area should be tested, as they did with the people they quarantined in England. 
As the foreign office usually do only absolutely essential travel to these areas should be the advice.
Im not blaming anyone for the spread of it but the UK government have had weeks to prepare as best they can and like you all the “consequences” appear to be about harming business and the economy, I’m more concerned about the people dying. 

I think you should have a word with Boris. You seem to have the answers.