Scottish Football officially suspended

Alva-Jambo

I really hate this topic I started, as I am already depressed by all the virus news. 

Remember no kissing hugging or handshakes when we score on Saturday!  

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Geoff Kilpatrick

• IveSeenTheLight

• ...a bit disco

• Mikey1874

The facts are that this is a mild viral infection for people that don't have underlying health conditions. 

More people die from the seasonal flu every year in Scotland. 

This will die out just as quick as itcomes 

Well we are a few weeks behind Italy and they are playing games behind closed doors.  It is certainly possible we will go down that route.

Scottish cup semi final at an empty Hampden? 

1 minute ago, Restonbabe said:

The facts are that this is a mild viral infection for people that don't have underlying health conditions. 

Hope you’ve got your tin hat on cause the doom merchants over in the shed are saying we are all going to die 

Frankfurter

The EPL can relatively easily go behind closed doors, as most of their income is from TV and commercial deals.
No such luck for the SPFL, where most money comes from ticket sales.

Will they have to offer part refunds of season tickets? Even if not, clubs might well struggle to sell season tickets for next season, which could mean admin for some.

8 minutes ago, Longshanks said:

Well we are a few weeks behind Italy and they are playing games behind closed doors.  It is certainly possible we will go down that route.

Scottish cup semi final at an empty Hampden? 

TBF we are used to playing hibs in a half empty Hampden, so won’t be that much of a difference 😂

Postpone the season for 2 months, have accidental summer football and never return to winter football. Next season onwards the SPL will lift the ban on beer in the stadiums, but will solely be allowed to sell Corona as a thank you to the god of summer football.

Or more likely what Reston said! 

The Verminator

I worry that the split may be a point where the SFA could make a clean break in stopping the season instead of letting it limp on and then be disrupted completely

And, it is slightly more than "just flu", I wish some people would get their heads around that

3 minutes ago, The Verminator said:

I worry that the split may be a point where the SFA could make a clean break in stopping the season instead of letting it limp on and then be disrupted completely

And, it is slightly more than "just flu", I wish some people would get their heads around that

It'll be closed door games, though most of the bottom teams are adhering to that anyway

They might but if they are cancelled it is a massive massive over reaction!

The facts are that Covid-19 will kill less people globally than will die of the flu in just the UK this year. 

Once it has all calmed down the death rate  of those that become infected will be close to that of the flu and that rate for anyone in good health is tiny. With most patients having little more than a high temperature.

Covid-19 is actually a pis8 poor virus that does not actually spread very easily. Which is why they are trying to contain it. No one tries to contain the seasonal flu because it spreads so easily it is just not possible to contain it.

But weirdly because this virus is containable authorities are trying to contain it and when you add this to the media hyping it up and we have people panicking over nothing.

Get your Easter & summer holidays booked now because you’ll get a bargain and this will be yesterday’s news very shortly!

Remember how we were all going to die of Ebola..... well over 2,000 people died of Ebola last year and we didn’t see that on the news so no one cared.

4 minutes ago, The Verminator said:

While different it is not that different.

It is less viral so has a lower infection rate and will not have a meaningful higher death rate for those infected both in total and by demographic and the symptoms for most people are very similar to those of the flu. 

I expect games to be affected  and it won't just be for a week or two . 

The hyperbole from the media will inevitably necessitate this . 

The question is will they cancel games , play them behind closed doors or try and reschedule them , which would be almost impossible. 

It really is a lot of shite. Wash your hands and don't cough or sneeze on people, a normal day for anyone with the slightest bit of respect for others.

spirt of 98
11 minutes ago, 77Mackay77 said:

The facts are that Covid-19 will kill less people globally than will die of the flu in just the UK this year. 

Once it has all calmed down the death rate  of those that become infected will be close to that of the flu and that rate for anyone in good health is tiny. With most patients having little more than a high temperature.

Covid-19 is actually a pis8 poor virus that does not actually spread very easily. Which is why they are trying to contain it. No one tries to contain the seasonal flu because it spreads so easily it is just not possible to contain it.

But weirdly because this virus is containable authorities are trying to contain it and when you add this to the media hyping it up and we have people panicking over nothing.

Get your Easter & summer holidays booked now because you’ll get a bargain and this will be yesterday’s news very shortly!

Remember how we were all going to die of Ebola..... well over 2,000 people died of Ebola last year and we didn’t see that on the news so no one cared.

Bollocks I’ve been watching holidays to Cyprus.

2/3 weeks ago I could get a 5 star hotel in Cyprus all inclusive for £950 ish per person it’s now £1300 ish each. 

Nicholas Brody

I mentioned in another thread but plans are in place for our semi to be behind closed doors.

The season is also at risk and people thinking they'll continue it behind closed doors are sorely mistaken.

Massive over reaction imo but I think there's a real possibility of this happening.

What happens regarding relegation etc I have no idea but I do know what the SPFL/SFA are like and I reckon it'll be the worst possible outcome.

John Findlay
40 minutes ago, Restonbabe said:

Correct. Makes good headlines and keeps the 24hr news channels something to talk 23hrs a day about.

Like bird flu and foot and mouth before it, will go as quickly as it came.

Shanks said no

Players from Danish Super League clubs Brondby and Lyngby are in isolation after they met and hugged former Denmark international Thomas Kahlenberg, who has since tested positive for coronavirus, at a match last weekend.

Kahlenberg, who played 47 matches for Denmark between 2003 and 2014 and also played for clubs Auxerre and Wolfsburg before retiring in 2017, tested positive on Thursday and has been in quarantine.

Kahlenberg, who played for Denmark at the 2010 World Cup, was infected during a visit to Amsterdam.

Brondby, who beat Lyngby 1-0 last Sunday, said 13 employees had been put in isolation, including the general manager Ole Palma, defender Joel Kabongo and assistant coach Martin Retov.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
4 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Correct. Makes good headlines and keeps the 24hr news channels something to talk 23hrs a day about.

Like bird flu and foot and mouth before it, will go as quickly as it came.

Witnessed first hand the devastation foot and mouth caused. 

No trivial matter,  destroyed many many farmers with often tragic consequences 

The Mercer Takeover

It's more than just trying to prevent a virus spread in large gatherings of people.

The instant one player in one SPFL team gets this, you can pretty much kiss goodbye to the season.

They will have to be quarantined, then everyone else in the team will have to be isolated as well. Some of whom will also then be infected and waiting to show symptoms. They won't be training during this period either. Say three weeks by the time it has worked it's way through everyone. Also, how long will it take a player to recover from this nasty viral infection and be fully fit again.

Assuming everyone is free from bugs, do they then play three times a week for the rest of the season, assuming no other teams have the same issues.

As for those suggesting this nothing more than a little cold. Try thinking about those in society who are a little older than themselves or perhaps more infirm. They can get a jab to prevent the flu, but they are being bumped off pretty significantly by this outbreak.

7 minutes ago, The Mercer Takeover said:

It's more than just trying to prevent a virus spread in large gatherings of people.

The instant one player in one SPFL team gets this, you can pretty much kiss goodbye to the season.

They will have to be quarantined, then everyone else in the team will have to be isolated as well. Some of whom will also then be infected and waiting to show symptoms. They won't be training during this period either. Say three weeks by the time it has worked it's way through everyone. Also, how long will it take a player to recover from this nasty viral infection and be fully fit again.

Assuming everyone is free from bugs, do they then play three times a week for the rest of the season, assuming no other teams have the same issues.

As for those suggesting this nothing more than a little cold. Try thinking about those in society who are a little older than themselves or perhaps more infirm. They can get a jab to prevent the flu, but they are being bumped off pretty significantly by this outbreak.

Death rates are no different to the flu and that has a vaccine. 

luckyBatistuta
1 hour ago, theshed said:

Hope you’ve got your tin hat on cause the doom merchants over in the shed are saying we are all going to die 

I don’t remember entering you

23 minutes ago, Nicholas Brody said:

I mentioned in another thread but plans are in place for our semi to be behind closed doors.

The season is also at risk and people thinking they'll continue it behind closed doors are sorely mistaken.

Massive over reaction imo but I think there's a real possibility of this happening.

What happens regarding relegation etc I have no idea but I do know what the SPFL/SFA are like and I reckon it'll be the worst possible outcome.

Bring it, celtic don’t get their title, we stay up and go on to end their streak by winning it ourselves under Stendel…happy days.

6 minutes ago, The Mercer Takeover said:

No chance it will be Pereira, guy couldn’t catch a cold.

King Of The Cat Cafe
49 minutes ago, 77Mackay77 said:

Please tell me you don't sit in Section D because I don't want you anywhere near me on match day.

Not just you, though, there are so many misconceptions in this thread.

Facts:. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/05/has-covid-19-mutated-into-a-more-deadly-strain-busting-the-coronavirus-myths

7 minutes ago, 77Mackay77 said:

Are you Donald Trump?
There is nowhere near enough data to make such definitive statements.
You are spouting uninformed garbage.

Just now, Sertse said:

Can we move this to The Shed please?

More football-related than some of the nonsense you read in the Terrace.

Random factoid:

COVID-19 (Coronavirus Disease) is actually the name of the disease caused by the virus: SARS-CoV-2 (Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2).

Officially the name of the virus is SARS-CoV-2, though the World Health Organisation are communicating it as the "Covid-19 virus" to avoid further panic, especially in Asia, which still has the first SARS outbreak fresh on its mind (this virus is different, but related).

Edited by Cesni
Typo

They said today in context of 6 Nations that outdoor events are safe.

Safer than being in your own kitchen.

But they've also indicated that is likely to change. 

9 minutes ago, 77Mackay77 said:

Surely that is the big difference. 

People can be vaccinated against the flu but there is no vaccine for corona virus.

This makes the old and people with pre existing medical issues especially vulnerable. 

I'm done for as I fall into both these categories 😕

King Of The Cat Cafe
8 minutes ago, Cesni said:

Random factoid:

COVID-19 (Coronavirus Disease) is actually the name of the disease caused by the virus: SARS-CoV-2 (Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2).

Officially the name of the virus is SARS-CoV-2, though the World Health Organisation are communicating it as the "Covid-19 virus" to avoid further panic, especially in Asia, which still has the first SARS outbreak fresh on its mind (this virus is different, but related).

You do know, don't you that a factoid is a different animal from a fact?

"...fact is something that can be or has been proved to be undoubtedly true, whereas, a factoid is something that appears to be true but isn't."

52 minutes ago, Nicholas Brody said:

They'll need to be very careful as any decision will be contested in court . 

If all games can't be played the only option would be to register the whole seasons results null and void   any other decision would be a legal minefield . 

Saying it's only dangerous to people with underlying health conditions is an odd take.  A large part of the population will have underlying health conditions and even if you're lucky enough to be healthy enough that it wouldn't damage you, you could still spread it to others more vulnerable. 

The fact there's no vaccine for it means it's inevitable that there'll be restrictions the more it spreads, and unfortunately for football fans that means our games could well be affected.  Hopefully it doesn't come to it but it wouldn't be a surprise if games were played behind closed doors.  You can't just have crowds between 10,000 and 60,000 gathering when it's spreading so rapidly.

Geoff Kilpatrick

The hype is utterly ridiculous. Looking forward to the Grand Prix here next week with another 90odd thousand people.

Also chuckling to myself at the people on my train this morning wearing masks.

King Of The Cat Cafe
3 minutes ago, ramrod said:

They'll need to be very careful as any decision will be contested in court . 

If all games can't be played the only option would be to register the whole seasons results null and void   any other decision would be a legal minefield . 

Probaby simplest for SPFL to end season after 33 games.

But they should be saying that now..

1 hour ago, Restonbabe said:

I think there are quite a few people with underlying health conditions who aren't quite ready to die thanks very much.

People have a responsibility to not spread the virus.

7 minutes ago, King Of The Cat Cafe said:

Probaby simplest for SPFL to end season after 33 games.

But they should be saying that now..

There is no way they would get away with that ruling . It would almost certainly be challenged in court and rightly so . 

Most might get it but will have no more effect than a sniffle.

You might not even know you have it!.
If you are elderly with health issues it might be a worry but for the majority it won’t 

...a bit disco
44 minutes ago, 77Mackay77 said:

Put yourself in my wife's shoes then.

On drugs for one condition that then basically strips her immune system.

Something like this virus could be a potential death sentence.

Just now, ...a bit disco said:

Put yourself in my wife's shoes then.

On drugs for one condition that then basically strips her immune system.

Something like this virus could be a potential death sentence.

Exactly this. 

There are some very ignorant and selfish comments on this thread in relation to the idea of people having "underlying health conditions". 

Elderly or young, there are scores of beloved people vulnerable to this virus, people who otherwise would be nowhere near the risk of death.

18 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

The hype is utterly ridiculous. Looking forward to the Grand Prix here next week with another 90odd thousand people.

Also chuckling to myself at the people on my train this morning wearing masks.

...a bit disco
9 minutes ago, Hearts_fan said:

Exactly this. 

There are some very ignorant and selfish comments on this thread in relation to the idea of people having "underlying health conditions". 

Elderly or young, there are scores of beloved people vulnerable to this virus, people who otherwise would be nowhere near the risk of death.

Indeed.

4 minutes ago, Hearts_fan said:

Exactly this. 

Tbh it's not surprising given some of the utter bull and hyperbole coming out . 

One example is not allowing players to shake hands before a game when firstly , they could have used a hand gel before going out and secondly we've got Scotland playing France at rugby where the players will be all over each other . 

The media and some are building this up to being something akin to the Black Death . 

I expect this to pass with very few deaths thankfully, that's just my opinion . 

Geoff Kilpatrick
17 minutes ago, weehammy said:

Press and media in the UK have been guilty of sensationalising this with lurid headlines. Laura Kuensberg asked Boris for his estimate of the extent of infection. What a prat! His response that it is impossible to say was much more polite than the stupid question deserved. No wonder people are panic buying hand gel and masks - even though informed advice is that these aren’t much use.

I believe they’re hoarding bog paper now in Australia!!!

The toilet roll fiasco here is mental. The shelves have also been stripped of dry pasta, bottled water and flour!

indianajones

You guys that were in the Dunbar end on Tuesday were at bigger risk of contracting a lot worse than covid. 

Brave men and women. 

Dallas Green
21 minutes ago, Hearts_fan said:

Exactly this. 

Spot on.

kingantti1874
1 hour ago, 77Mackay77 said:

0.1 % vs 3.4% big difference I’m afraid.

28 minutes ago, ramrod said:

There is no way they would get away with that ruling . It would almost certainly be challenged in court and rightly so . 

If the relegated team had a harder strength of schedule than the teams in 9th/10th/11th it would be completely unfair to relegate them. 12 teams next season? Assuming every club survives the financial disaster that would be giving part refunds on season tickets etc, which Doncaster said today they wouldn’t. 

Also I don’t think Ann Budge would want people turning up to work at Hearts with the infection, given she’s of an age where it could be a big problem.