Scottish Football officially suspended

Alva-Jambo

Frankfurter
11 minutes ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

Possibly, if we implement similar containment / delay strategies.

At the moment were not

Also, when you stop those strategies, there's no reason why the virus couldn't start spreading again, as long as there are still enough uncontained cases about. This is not going to be over in a couple of months. It's about trying to keep it on a slow burn until we have a treatment or vaccine.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Geoff Kilpatrick

• IveSeenTheLight

• ...a bit disco

• Mikey1874

1 hour ago, Francis Albert said:

I flew from Madrid last night in a packed Iberian Airlines plane with 250 or so others. I went to the (as always totally inadequate) toilet facilities twice, once early in the flight and again towards the end and in both toilets there was no soap available. Maybe some more simple precautions should be made before banning flights and attendance at football games?

Will try to avoid you. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/51777154

Sporting events in Britain are unlikely to be affected by coronavirus in the immediate future, says Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden.

Governing bodies and broadcasters will meet with government officials later on Monday to discuss the staging of events behind closed doors if the outbreak worsens and mass gatherings are banned.

Dowden told BBC Radio 5 Live: "At this stage we're not in the territory of cancelling or postponing events."

He added fans should not be barred.

"I was at Twickenham [for England v Wales] with the Prime Minister [on Saturday]," he said. "There was a huge crowd of people there. There is no reason why people should not be going to those events. It is very premature to be talking about things like that."

Dowden did add that the advice was based on the current guidance issued by the medical experts.

He added: "That is why I asked the chief medical officer to brief the sporting bodies last week and that is why we will be driven by the advice of the chief medical officer as we continue.

"I do want to emphasise in relation to sporting events, any talk of cancellation is very premature indeed. At the moment there is no evidence to suggest we should be doing that and we don't have any plans to."

credit card
1 hour ago, E6 Inc said:

Jesus that's grim mate - hope the tests come back negative and then you keep your sanity for the 14 days!

#freethewheatfieldone should start trending 🤣

Cheers mate appreciate that

credit card
2 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Good luck. 👍

Cheers mate. Lockdown continues testing now due on Wednesday and if we are negative we get released on 22 March ie 14 days after we were sent here by the ET bashers. 

Francis Albert
55 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

No idea. Governments and authorities around the world are dictating that games are played behind closed doors. They're clearly doing it for a very good reason. Concerts/events are being cancelled, the Louvre is restricting access. In Southern Italy they're promoting social distancing of a metre.

Not sure they're giving much thought to what those who are told not to go to a football match, will do with their now found spare time to be honest

If games are played behind closed doors here, could top division games be made available on a PPV basis? Could you generate a use once code for ST holders?

Our government at this stage is not planning to take similar action perhaps because of fewer cases or better assessment, for example taking into account the fact that people prevented from attending these events are not quarantined and so part of the assessment has to be what risks other alternative activities involve, , many involvinng near contact with more  than the 4 to 6 you sit within 1 metres of for  a couple of hours at a football match.,  

15 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

And how is it spread once someone has travelled somewhere? 

What are you waffling about ?

You seem to be acting like some sort of expert and to be frank I doubt your knowledge never mind your inability to understand how infections spread

As just posted on the 'Six Nations thread' this is all getting very silly.  The world seems to be falling to it's knees for a virus that dettol can kill.  Absolutely ridiculous the panic setting in for all this.  Sums up the world today though. 

Francis Albert
30 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

Will try to avoid you. 

🙂 Most posters seem to think that's always a good idea!

Frankfurter
9 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

As just posted on the 'Six Nations thread' this is all getting very silly.  The world seems to be falling to it's knees for a virus that dettol can kill.  Absolutely ridiculous the panic setting in for all this.  Sums up the world today though. 

Let's all drink Dettol. Way-hay!

15 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Our government at this stage is not planning to take similar action perhaps because of fewer cases or better assessment, for example taking into account the fact that people prevented from attending these events are not quarantined and so part of the assessment has to be what risks other alternative activities involve, , many involvinng near contact with more  than the 4 to 6 you sit within 1 metres of for  a couple of hours at a football match.,  

What real difference does it make 300 hundred UK or 1000 like in France and Germany yet France and Germany started to play matches behind closed doors.I don't really get why we need to get to some magic number before games are cancelled to be honest if it's going to get done do it.

The Real Maroonblood
18 minutes ago, credit card said:

Cheers mate. Lockdown continues testing now due on Wednesday and if we are negative we get released on 22 March ie 14 days after we were sent here by the ET bashers. 

It must be like being in jail.

13 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Dettol can't kill it

Edited by vegas-voss

Francis Albert
4 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

What real difference does it make 300 hundred UK or 1000 like in France and Germany yet France and Germany started to play matches behind closed doors.I don't really get why we need to get to some magic number before games are cancelled to be honest if it's going to get done do it.

So maybe it is my alternative - better assessment of risk - rather than numbers that is driving our government. For example not assuming that what people do if not attending these banned events is not relevant, as has been suggested on here. For example if I get a crowded bus or worse tube train to a bar and/or restaurant I will come into close contact (one metre as has been defined) than I will going to a football match. With the added risk of having food and drink prepared and served to me by numerous hands. 

Edited by Francis Albert

1 minute ago, Francis Albert said:

So maybe it is my alternative - better assessment of risk - rather than numbers that is driving our government. For example not assuming that what people do if not attending these banned events is not relevant, as has been suggested on here.

To be honest I'm sure they are being well advised by medical officers etc and will act when appropriate.

Jambo, Goodbye
1 hour ago, Francis Albert said:

What will all these people be doing if all these things are stopped?

Other things out and about i guess but the idea is about avoiding thousands of people being in the one place at the exact same time. 

IveSeenTheLight

Just heard that CNOOC (China National Offshore Oil Corporation) in Aberdeen are not allowing visitors unless approved from senior management.

Meetings are now to be held teleconference / telepresence.

Some are having them offsite, although I don't see what that achieves

Francis Albert
2 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

To be honest I'm sure they are being well advised by medical officers etc and will act when appropriate.

Seems so.

Frankfurter
4 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

So maybe it is my alternative - better assessment of risk - rather than numbers that is driving our government.

Let's hope it's that, rather than Dominic Cummings fancying a significant drop in the pensions bill.

Francis Albert
2 minutes ago, Jambo, Goodbye said:

Other things out and about i guess but the idea is about avoiding thousands of people being in the one place at the exact same time. 

But I don't come into close contact with thousands of people at a football match. No-one does.

IveSeenTheLight

But I don't come into close contact with thousands of people at a football match. No-one does.

Just a query, how many go through the same turnstyles?

How many use the handrails?

2 minutes ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

Gloves in this weather surely. 

Jambo, Goodbye
Just now, Francis Albert said:

Nobody does at Tynie? Or any football stadium? That simply isn't true. 

Count the numbers that cram the pubs. The number in the buses. The trains too.

Specifically Tynie, the numbers a fan in Section G will be among when walking through the  back of the stand to get to the steps out the back. 

It'll be more than enough.

The whole thing in daegu started with a church that had 400 and 600 people being exposed to one woman.

Best not have the bigger stadiums in the UK full. 

Anyway,  I'm just pointing out the logic. I think it's a no brainer personally. 

Francis Albert
1 minute ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

Avoid the hand rails or wear gloves if you really need the handrail.. Use your elbow to turn the turnstile. Advise people to do so. Same goes for restaurants, coffee shops, bars,  stations, your workplace etc etc. The risk is not simply being in the same (large)  place at one time with a large number of people. Seems to me that is just a knee jerk reaction.

IveSeenTheLight
2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Gloves in this weather surely. 

Really????

Its almost double digit weather.

Anywhoo, gloves could in fact be worse

Gloves would work only if you changed them and washed them as methodically as you wash or sanitise your hands. “Otherwise they’re like a second skin.”

Jambo, Goodbye
6 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

It can seemingly.

Against other strains of the corona virus only from what my wee look online tells me. I don't see anything for this one. 

IveSeenTheLight
Just now, Jambo, Goodbye said:

Against other strains of the corona virus only from what my wee look online tells me. I don't see anything for this one. 

They've not tested it yet, but expect it to be as effective if similar to other coronaviruses

IveSeenTheLight
1 minute ago, Crete said:

Did people not wash their hands before Corona virus.

Have you bot heard that the two cheeks are referred to as the unwashed? ;)

Jambo, Goodbye
4 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Avoid the hand rails or wear gloves if you really need the handrail.. Use your elbow to turn the turnstile. Advise people to do so. Same goes for restaurants, coffee shops, bars,  stations, your workplace etc etc. The risk is not simply being in the same (large)  place at one time with a large number of people. Seems to me that is just a knee jerk reaction.

The entirety of korea would disagree with you. 

Gloves wouldn't work far as i know. You're just bringing the virus back into your house after touching the same turnstile as everybody else. 

Jambo, Goodbye

Exactly,  not tested it yet. 

I'm sure their marketing team would love everybody to think it definitely can 😂

Francis Albert
2 minutes ago, Jambo, Goodbye said:

Specifically Tynie, the numbers a fan in Section G will be among when walking through the  back of the stand to get to the steps out the back. 

The whole thing in daegu started with a church that had 400 and 600 people being exposed to one woman.

Close contact is defined as being within one metre. Maybe 4 to 6 around my seat and other similar number in getting to and from my seat. The person in front of me and the one behind me in the queue at the turnstile and in the queues getting to and leaving  my seat. Not many more. Advise people to arrive earlier than the now traditional 5 minutes before KO  to reduce crowding and have a slower less crowded evacuation at the end of the game (unless we are losing when it happens unplanned!). 

Crowded pubs, buses and other public transport are not exclusive to attendance at football. 

IveSeenTheLight

Close contact is defined as being within one metre. Maybe 4 to 6 around my seat and other similar number in getting to and from my seat. The person in front of me and the one behind me in the queue at the turnstile and in the queues getting to and leaving  my seat. Not many more. Advise people to arrive earlier than the now traditional 5 minutes before KO  to reduce crowding and have a slower less crowded evacuation at the end of the game (unless we are losing when it happens unplanned!). 

Crowded pubs, buses and other public transport are not exclusive to attendance at football. 

So you're ignoring the South Korea church theory or the point about turnstiles entrances.

1 minute ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

So you're ignoring the South Korea church theory or the point about turnstiles entrances.

I can see where FA is coming from. You'd probably be exposed to close contact with just as many people if you took a bus to the pub and then out for a meal as you would if you went to the football.

Francis Albert
5 minutes ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

I am not sure what the South Korea church thery is or its direct relevance to football rather than say churches.

Nor how football turnstiles differ from say tube station or other turnstiles, or the doors to every public building, many more heavily used than football turnstiles.

Edited by Francis Albert

Jambo, Goodbye
Just now, Francis Albert said:

All the measures you've listed are better and easier mitigated through playing behind closed doors. Your solutions will simply never realistically happen. 

You seem to imagine you're nowhere near anybody when walking to and from your seat. I think you're underestimating. 

So in your estimation,  how many people will a game at say... Old Trafford put you within 2 or 3 meters of?

Let's do Tynie as well. 

Also,  could you tell me how the spread in Daegu happened,  what caused it and why? 

20 minutes ago, Jambo, Goodbye said:

Need to close down all the pubs then too..

4 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I can see where FA is coming from. You'd probably be exposed to close contact with just as many people if you took a bus to the pub and then out for a meal as you would if you went to the football.

Jambo, Goodbye
5 minutes ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

Not even a theory man 😒

Two thirds of the Daegu's infected are related to that church. 

Francis Albert
1 minute ago, Jambo, Goodbye said:

All the measures you've listed are better and easier mitigated through playing behind closed doors. Your solutions will simply never realistically happen. 

You seem to imagine you're nowhere near anybody when walking to and from your seat. I think you're underestimating. 

So in your estimation,  how many people will a game at say... Old Trafford put you within 2 or 3 meters of?

Let's do Tynie as well. 

Also,  could you tell me how the spread in Daegu happened,  what caused it and why? 

One metre seems to be the guide.

I'd prefer that the season was postponed rather than closed door matches.

Closed door would be our worst nightmare imo. 

If they are to Postpone it, finish the season in June/July. Least we'll finally get summer football. 

1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

Or, follow the current advice from experts and continue to have these large events.

Jambo, Goodbye
Just now, Mikey1874 said:

I'm sure they be able to remain open. It's the crowds cramming in and then moving to another and then to a stadium, and then to another pub after, all in sequence. That's what you're trying to avoid.  

A pint on a footballess day won't be much risk.