The rise and fall of The SNP.

Space Mackerel
Just now, Ron Burgundy said:

Ex Pats get a vote in a GE.

Do you not care about all your fellow Scots?

Only for 15 years. Andrew Neil, Michael Gove and possibly George Galloway have been living in England way longer than that.

Case dismissed. 😛

• Replies 16.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Unknown user

• jack D and coke

• manaliveits105

• Roxy Hearts

2 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Ex Pats get a vote in a GE.

Do you not care about all your fellow Scots?

Let all Scots the world over have a vote.  

Ron Burgundy
1 minute ago, Space Mackerel said:

Only for 15 years. Andrew Neil, Michael Gove and possibly George Galloway have been living in England way longer than that.

Case dismissed. 😛

But we could make new rules, like the SNP did when they lost the once in a generation vote.

Ron Burgundy
1 minute ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Let all Scots the world over have a vote.  

Why not?

All the misty eyed Scots who love the place so much they couldn't wait to feck off would boost the SNP's chances.

Space Mackerel
1 minute ago, Ron Burgundy said:

But we could make new rules, like the SNP did when they lost the once in a generation vote.

Like you did in 1979?

Ron Burgundy

Like you did in 1979?

I didn't vote for anything in 1979.

Edited by Ron Burgundy

Why not?

All the misty eyed Scots who love the place so much they couldn't wait to feck off would boost the SNP's chances.

I wouldn't call Gove or Neil misty eyed. They hate Scotland. 

AlphonseCapone
12 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

I really don't care.

The good news though is that any further Indyref would/should allow the near 800,000 Scots who live elsewhere in the UK a chance to vote in it. Seems fair enough to me if foreign nationals get a vote.

Lets find out what all Scots want.

That's a move of sheer desperation that tells people how scared the UK government are.

If you don't live here then you shouldn't get a say on the governance of the nation, if you do then you should. Where you are born isn't important. Well, it isn't important to most, good minded people, others have a bit of an obsession with it. 

Space Mackerel

I didn't vote for anything in 1979.

Obviously.

Changing the rules is a bit hibbish though?

Ron Burgundy
2 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

That's a move of sheer desperation that tells people how scared the UK government are.

If you don't live here then you shouldn't get a say on the governance of the nation, if you do then you should. Where you are born isn't important. Well, it isn't important to most, good minded people, others have a bit of an obsession with it. 

So are you against ex pats voting in a GE?

Genuine question.

I am FWIW.

Edited by Ron Burgundy

Ron Burgundy

Obviously.

Changing the rules is a bit hibbish though?

Well she is "married" to a Hibby.

Space Mackerel
2 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Well she is "married" to a Hibby.

And I take it we have to get over 60% now as well?

Or will it go higher? 65%??

AlphonseCapone
Just now, Ron Burgundy said:

So are you against ex pats voting in a GE?

Genuine question.

I am. Whether it's an election or a referendum the franchise should be those living in the country. 

Personally, if I ever move, even though I'd have the right to, I won't vote as I wouldn't feel it's my place. For UK elections you can vote as an expat for up to 15 years, that's 3 election terms. I'd be comfortable if they put it down to 5.

Ron Burgundy
11 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

And I take it we have to get over 60% now as well?

Or will it go higher? 65%??

I couldn't really care less.

I genuinely don't care if my passport or birth certificate states Scottish, British or European citizen.

I am only concerned as to the welfare of my kids. Nothing else. If the SNP can prove that they would be financially and educationally better off then I'd be on board with that camp but they have not.

As it stands I am in the better the devil you know camp.

Space Mackerel
4 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

I couldn't really care less.

I genuinely don't care if my passport or birth certificate states Scottish, British or European citizen.

I am only concerned as to the welfare of my kids. Nothing else. If the SNP can prove that they would be financially and educationally better off then I'd be on board with that camp but they have not.

As it stands I am in the better the devil you know camp.

Well, Scotlands budget would almost double overnight to approx £65 billion plus borrowing powers.

Your kids will have massive injection of democracy than is currently offered on how its spent.

Ron Burgundy
Just now, Space Mackerel said:

Well, Scotlands budget would almost double overnight to approx £65 billion plus borrowing powers.

Your kids will have massive injection of democracy than is currently offered on how its spent.

Excuse me if I don't just accept your fag packet maths as factual.

Off now. Work finished. Weekend started. Look forward to seeing your tea pic on FB.

Space Mackerel

Excuse me if I don't just accept your fag packet maths as factual.

Off now. Work finished. Weekend started. Look forward to seeing your tea pic on FB.

Luxurious curry soup tonight pal.

47 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

I really don't care.

The good news though is that any further Indyref would/should allow the near 800,000 Scots who live elsewhere in the UK a chance to vote in it. Seems fair enough to me if foreign nationals get a vote.

Lets find out what all Scots want.

Let's! 

But why should anyone who doesn't live or work here be allowed to vote. EU citizens didn't get a vote in the EUref and they lived and worked here. 

28 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

If you don't mind, please show us the "rule"—i.e. legal document, commission findings, agreement, statute, etc., that states that the 2014 referendum was to be "once in a generation".

Demerits for referencing a politician's rhetoric broadly referring to the general timing of such referenda in recent years, with 1979 and 1998 being approximately one generation apart, and 1998 and 2014, the same.

Bonus points for looking up the part of the Smith Commission report that states a "sovereign right of the people of Scotland to determine the form of government best suited to their needs" while saying nothing about time restrictions on the exercising of this fundamental right.

15 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Scottish tories are not Conservative they're Unionist.(it's in the name) Most *conservatives in Scotland wouldn't really bother if Scotland was independent as it gives them new opportunities. 

*small c. 

100% my man.

23 hours ago, Space Mackerel said:

Jake, you don't need to apologise ❤️

And I certainly don't need posts deleted at me either because we are all grown adults. 😚

I do man.

Blood pressure.

Alcohol.

Etc.

Space Mackerel
1 hour ago, weehammy said:

Wow! We’d have to sell a hell of a lot more whisky, hotel beds and tartan tat to achieve that miracle.

How long have you been working in the whisky, B&B trade and kilt manufacturing industries? 

Space Mackerel
24 minutes ago, jake said:

I do man.

Blood pressure.

Alcohol.

Etc.

Take it easy pal 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿😊

Space Mackerel
2 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

He isn't trolling though, Boris is just being a British PM. 

Boris has been booted out Scotland by a solitary sheep fairmer 😁😁😁

Hes back in Landan naaaa. 

Space Mackerel
5 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

I wouldn't grudge Boris, or Nicola, time to get away. 

Doris is on his 5th holiday this year and there is a major pandemic on. 

Unemployment is rocketing, GDP is the worst recorded on record, UK is 2 trillion in debt and he’s pissing about with photoshoots in the Highlands.

Hugo is Malcolms laddie BTW. 

722B9CEF-8B1B-431C-9E4E-47AEECB4ED80.jpeg

Space Mackerel
2 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

If you live in the soap opera, you are paying attention to all this.

It’s his 5th holiday of the year. 

How many has Ms Sturgeon had? 

Space Mackerel
5 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

No where near enough, that is for sure

That’s because she’s getting on with the day job eh. 

Like you’ve always screeched about. 

8 hours ago, AlphonseCapone said:

I am. Whether it's an election or a referendum the franchise should be those living in the country. 

Personally, if I ever move, even though I'd have the right to, I won't vote as I wouldn't feel it's my place. For UK elections you can vote as an expat for up to 15 years, that's 3 election terms. I'd be comfortable if they put it down to 5.

And people that are passing through from another country should not be entitled to vote unless they have paid tax here for 5 years too presumably? Especially in a binary constitutional choice. Arguably, a decision of that magnitude should require a 2/3 majority, just to keep it in line with the percentage required to effect change under the constitution of the SNP themselves. 

47 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

Has Nicola Sturgeon ever had a holiday? in your memory

I think she visited Mr Murrell's villa in Portugal last year, allegedly😀

8 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

And people that are passing through from another country should not be entitled to vote unless they have paid tax here for 5 years too presumably? Especially in a binary constitutional choice. Arguably, a decision of that magnitude should require a 2/3 majority, just to keep it in line with the percentage required to effect change under the constitution of the SNP themselves. 

Shame they didn’t adopt that for the brexit vote. 😎

Just now, davemclaren said:

Shame they didn’t adopt that for the brexit vote. 😎

I agree. The same rules should have applied.

1 minute ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

I agree. The same rules should have applied.

Is the 75% not a company law thing for certain decisions?

1 minute ago, davemclaren said:

Is the 75% not a company law thing for certain decisions?

Yes,  you could be right Dave. Certainly,  big constitutional changes should imo require more than a 50+1 majority. We can't backdate it so what better place to start than any future Indy ref😎

6 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Yes,  you could be right Dave. Certainly,  big constitutional changes should imo require more than a 50+1 majority. We can't backdate it so what better place to start than any future Indy ref😎

You would say that, but I agree that 51/49 victories lead to a lot of problems. 

Just now, davemclaren said:

You would say that, but I agree that 51/49 victories lead to a lot of problems. 

👍. Maybe I'm biased😯

32 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

I can't imagine another Scottish referendum for will occur in our pre-pension lifetime.

I don't detect the guts for it, in any way. 

Every time you post an opinion on this thread I just shake my head and laugh 😄

34 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

👍. Maybe I'm biased😯

Unionists shiting it!!!

Lets change the rules...

Change the question to:

Do you want to be living in a but n’ ben or a caravan with a leaking roof & begging for food?

Or

Do you want to live under the majesty of the monarchy & get fed £Billions from your loving neighbours in England (& get a blue passport)?

Then change the winning post to 80% or whatever.

Then, if youve even spoken to a scotsman in the last 30 years you shiuld be able to vote in any Scottish referendum on Independence. 

Aye right! The rules are already set so get it clean up yeez!!!

Edited by Pans Jambo

Unknown user
8 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

You can all talk about another Scottish Independence Referendum, and quote polls.

But there probably won't be one for decades. 

The Scottish Parliament can't call one without Westminster, and Westminster have been repeatedly clear. 

You started the bloody thread!

And anyway, you just perfectly encapsulated the issue - we have to wait for daddy to say it's OK to have an opinion, it's a ****ing disgrace.

Still, all the snp need to do is make it the core of their manifesto, then when they win a landslide, UDI time

AlphonseCapone
2 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

I'm not a fan on anything that requires paying tax per se. What if someone moves here with their family and for example, a wife can't work due to a disability but the husband can, should only he get to vote despite them both living here? But maybe there could be an 5 or 3 year residency rule  to vote, I'd be open to considering the pros and cons of that. 

In regards to the second part, I couldn't give a shiny shit what the SNP does or says in regards to their party votes or constitution, they don't own the monopoly on my support for independence. Another referendum should be 50% plus 1, same as the last one and the same as Brexit. Let's stop dreaming up new ways to change the franchise or rules to win simply because recent polling isn't going the way some people would like. 

jack D and coke

I don’t think foreign nationals should get to vote and I said that the last time too. It’s a hugely emotional issue that shouldn’t have foreign people that mostly won’t have a clue about making a decision on. Polish people or Portuguese people or whatever should NOT be getting a vote on something like this imo. The rUK have more skin in this game yet they won’t get any say but the foreign nationals don’t understand what this is about imo. They might make it purely on the EU which they did in the last one and see where that got them. It wouldn’t matter how long I lived in a country I simply wouldn’t vote on something like this, I’d abstain out of respect for the native people. 
It’s for the people born, bred and raised here. As dumb as some of them are...

Edited by jack D and coke

8 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

I don’t think foreign nationals should get to vote and I said that the last time too. It’s a hugely emotional issue that shouldn’t have foreign people that mostly won’t have a clue about making a decision on. Polish people or Portuguese people or whatever should NOT be getting a vote on something like this imo. The rUK have more skin in this game yet they won’t get any say but the foreign nationals don’t understand what this is about imo. They might make it purely on the EU which they did in the last one and see where that got them. It wouldn’t matter how long I lived in a country I simply wouldn’t vote on something like this, I’d abstain out of respect for the native people. 

It is for every person living in Scotland

jack D and coke
4 minutes ago, XB52 said:

It is for every person living in Scotland

I know the rules I’m just saying I don’t agree with them. 

31 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

What a post, so nobody who washed up at Granton in a Dinghy then?

jack D and coke
1 minute ago, SE16 3LN said:

What a post, so nobody who washed up at Granton in a Dinghy then?

Need to ask some granton residents pal. 

26 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Need to ask some granton residents pal. 

😂 I don't have racists in my friendship group, well not that extreme.