The rise and fall of The SNP.

41 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

"Good Post Enzo's" transformation into a doughball of a poster is complete...

Mind your language calling people melts and dough balls 🏀 disgraceful 

• Replies 16.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Unknown user

• jack D and coke

• manaliveits105

• Roxy Hearts

44 minutes ago, jambomjm74 said:

Uk isn’t England.. although it may seem that way to you. What you say isn’t the real world.. not even close. Clean slate is just nonsense and based on a flawed opinion that the debt is England’s it’s not it’s the U.K.s of which we are a member. 
The way a pension is funded does matter the fact that Scotland/U.K. is part of creating this liability ie uk pensions are an unfunded benefit. I don’t like this position as no fund = risk of future funding not being available and so it’s at risk. Many European state provisions have a pot and as such are an asset and more certain. 
There does appear to be an issue with the ex pat, so possibly you could keep your U.K. passport and have say dual nationality to obtain a U.K. pension. 
What might happen if the U.K. pays for say 5 years and then post settlement says F off and passes a law to stop payment to all non U.K. tax domiciled persons… what you going to do then.. it’s ok Scotland would be able to self fund the most generous pension in Europe… how it affords it, who knows as it would be fair … 

I'm using a post indy scenario.

For the third time re "clean slate" - I already set out the context , you seem not to want to acknowledge that.

The debt is England's - if Scotland wants to take on part of it in a settlement then fair enough. 

But it is England's. NS has acknowledged there would have to be a lot of discussion on a settlement so presumably they might be forced to do so in the expected horse-trading that will follow. 

What if England refuse to honour any part of a separation agreement ? What if, what if, what if....

Where does it end ? The UK negotiated a withdrawal agreement re the EU , so there's some food for thought. 

I'm not discussing what Scotland might do in the future re "Scottish" pensions : the SNP document isn't legally binding , it makes no promises and it isn't binding on any future Scottish government (which might not even be an SNP administration anyway) so it's pretty irrelevant. 

3 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

I'm using a post indy scenario.

For the third time re "clean slate" - I already set out the context , you seem not to want to acknowledge that.

The debt is England's - if Scotland wants to take on part of it in a settlement then fair enough. 

But it is England's. NS has acknowledged there would have to be a lot of discussion on a settlement so presumably they might be forced to do so in the expected horse-trading that will follow. 

What if England refuse to honour any part of a separation agreement ? What if, what if, what if....

Where does it end ? The UK negotiated a withdrawal agreement re the EU , so there's some food for thought. 

I'm not discussing what Scotland might do in the future re "Scottish" pensions : the SNP document isn't legally binding , it makes no promises and it isn't binding on any future Scottish government (which might not even be an SNP administration anyway) so it's pretty irrelevant. 

The SNP document is very much jam tomorrow. It’s no different to other political promises… that never come to fruition. 
I think the only thing we can agree on is that we don’t agree…  so let’s leave it there. 

1 hour ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

"Good Post Enzo's" transformation into a doughball of a poster is complete...

Is he really Enzo ? :rofl:

1 minute ago, jambomjm74 said:

The SNP document is very much jam tomorrow. It’s no different to other political promises… that never come to fruition. 
I think the only thing we can agree on is that we don’t agree…  so let’s leave it there. 

Yes , it is. They are trying to sell independence. 

I'll leave it there. 

1 hour ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

:lol:

Great post!

1 hour ago, Smithee said:

Aye, you can't say shite on a Scottish football forum!

zZuBiW2.gif

31676E57-9A68-4091-83E1-746BDF996D5C.gif

manaliveits105
7 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

6D4C1B19-655C-4B7A-B966-16C65728B4D8.jpeg

The National ? - The land of milk and honey !!

Strange then that Nippy and Hibbypotamus are chirping on about UK continuing to pay Scottish pensions - if we’ve lost more running for the bus 

Edited by manaliveits105

jack D and coke
36 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

The National ? - The land of milk and honey !!

Strange then that Nippy and Hibbypotamus are chirping on about UK continuing to pay Scottish pensions - if we’ve lost more running for the bus 

I’ll edit that. Early morning for me. 

Edited by jack D and coke

A Boy Named Crow
12 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Forget it, I got you all wrong...

Edited by A Boy Named Crow

A Boy Named Crow
6 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Nippy and Hibbypottomus I mean ffs :lol: 

The mouth breathers on here aren't the folk we need to worry about convincing, it's the people you know who think about things,  but have been spooked by the scaremongering etc.

I left the UK years ago, but worked enough years before I left that I am entitled to a UK pension when I retire, regardless of where I am in the world. I have a Kiwi mate, who now lives in the States who is also entitled to a UK pension, because of his personal NI contributions. 

The more rabid unionists who post on here aren't really unionists at all, they are just trolls, using this discussion as an outlet for their need to troll. Nobody could really be as dense as these posters would have you believe they are.

jack D and coke
1 minute ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

The mouth breathers on here aren't the folk we need to worry about convincing, it's the people you know who think about things,  but have been spooked by the scaremongering etc.

I left the UK years ago, but worked enough years before I left that I am entitled to a UK pension when I retire, regardless of where I am in the world. I have a Kiwi mate, who now lives in the States who is also entitled to a UK pension, because of his personal NI contributions. 

The more rabid unionists who post on here aren't really unionists at all, they are just trolls, using this discussion as an outlet for their need to troll. Nobody could really be as dense as these posters would have you believe they are.

The bit in bold is the bit I can’t get my head around and nobody seems to be able to answer correctly. Are they suggesting that you’ll get a British pension but anyone living in Scotland won’t? A Scottish person like yourself abroad is fine or a Scottish person in England but Scottish people in Scotland won’t?? :lol: It’s not an argument I want about it either but it doesn’t sound correct at all. 
I don’t speak about it much at all (if ever tbh) in day to day life it’s only on here as it’s always on the main page and people posting wind up amounts of drivel and I react. Very occasionally some debate can break out and it’s good. 
I shouldn’t look first thing in the morning either I’m never in a good mood in the AM😬

A Boy Named Crow
14 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

The bit in bold is the bit I can’t get my head around and nobody seems to be able to answer correctly. Are they suggesting that you’ll get a British pension but anyone living in Scotland won’t? A Scottish person like yourself abroad is fine or a Scottish person in England but Scottish people in Scotland won’t?? :lol: It’s not an argument I want about it either but it doesn’t sound correct at all. 
I don’t speak about it much at all (if ever tbh) in day to day life it’s only on here as it’s always on the main page and people posting wind up amounts of drivel and I react. Very occasionally some debate can break out and it’s good. 
I shouldn’t look first thing in the morning either I’m never in a good mood in the AM😬

People's ignorance of how the world really works is the unionist's best friend. It's what allows them to plant those doubts in people's minds...but it never stands up to scrutiny. 

Scottish independence wouldn't lead to a land of milk and honey, but it is eminently doable, and would position Scotland to take advantage of the renewables goldmine the rest of the world knows Scotland is sitting on - companies in Australia even who are looking at things like green hydrogen know they need to get in with their counterparts in Scotland...both countries have the potential to be "green energy superpowers"...but och y'know, too wee too poor too stupid...best not eh.

Edited by A Boy Named Crow

jack D and coke
4 minutes ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

People's ignorance of how the world really works is the unionist's best friend. It's what allows them to plant those doubts in people's minds...but it never stands up to scrutiny. 

Scottish independence wouldn't lead to a land of milk and honey, but it is eminently doable, and would position Scotland to take advantage of the renewables goldmine the rest of the world knows Scotland is sitting on - companies in Australia even who are looking at things like green hydrogen know they need to get in with their counterparts in Scotland...both countries have the potential to be "green energy duperpowers"...but och y'know, too wee too poor too stupid...best not eh.

Yep it’s exactly that kind of small minded thinking that does annoy me. Oh we couldnae dae that :facepalm:

TBF though the current SNP don’t help matters. I’m not a fan at all. 

1 hour ago, jack D and coke said:

Yep it’s exactly that kind of small minded thinking that does annoy me. Oh we couldnae dae that :facepalm:

TBF though the current SNP don’t help matters. I’m not a fan at all. 

The current Scottish government actually help those against independence. She doesn’t want it and surrounds herself with people to play alone and tow the party line. 

Some on this thread will need a medication top up when realisation kicks in. 😂

jack D and coke
32 minutes ago, Dazo said:

The current Scottish government actually help those against independence. She doesn’t want it and surrounds herself with people to play alone and tow the party line. 

I agree man. It’s something I’ve had suspicions about for a couple of years but it becomes clear that when half of the current SNP mob open their mouths they have no idea what they’re talking about or I doubt even believe in it. 
Around election time she beats the drum then does absolutely nothing to build anything. I’m starting to wonder if she’s a complete fraud tbh. Most of them behind her though I’m in no doubt that’s what they are. 

36 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Seems to be a popular shout from the unionists on here. ‘She doesn’t want it’ ‘she likes to power but doesn’t want independence’ like a big Union Jack comfort blanket! She wants it, snp want it, a growing majority of Scots want it and most importantly it’s happening shortly!

jack D and coke
21 minutes ago, jamboy1982 said:

Seems to be a popular shout from the unionists on here. ‘She doesn’t want it’ ‘she likes to power but doesn’t want independence’ like a big Union Jack comfort blanket! She wants it, snp want it, a growing majority of Scots want it and most importantly it’s happening shortly!

I’m not a unionist mate. Why are we waiting? Covid? BJ delivered brexit during this yet we need to wait? Till when? What if there’s another variant? Where are the plans? When covid goes away? 

32 minutes ago, jamboy1982 said:

Of course it is mate. 😂 I think I know who’s needing the confirm blanket. 

Not sure what people want the SG to do. They have announced that preparations are underway for a referendum next year. Plans will be published in the next few weeks. If, and it is a big IF, this doesn't happen then the snp are finished which would make the unionists and the nutters in Alba happy I suppose 

Jeffros Furios
13 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

I’m not a unionist mate. Why are we waiting? Covid? BJ delivered brexit during this yet we need to wait? Till when? What if there’s another variant? Where are the plans? When covid goes away? 

Do you think the SNP  are worried that the polls don't show a great shift in favour of Indy and will wait

until its more favourable ? 

That  could be years away and listening to Alba's view compared to the SNP, one has a timescale and plan for a referendum and the other just gives you the typical party line .

And on the pensions I'm no further in knowing what the script is 😀

36 minutes ago, XB52 said:

Not sure what people want the SG to do. They have announced that preparations are underway for a referendum next year. Plans will be published in the next few weeks. If, and it is a big IF, this doesn't happen then the snp are finished which would make the unionists and the nutters in Alba happy I suppose 

deleted

Edited by NANOJAMBO

jack D and coke
43 minutes ago, Jeffros Furios said:

Do you think the SNP  are worried that the polls don't show a great shift in favour of Indy and will wait

until its more favourable ? 

That  could be years away and listening to Alba's view compared to the SNP, one has a timescale and plan for a referendum and the other just gives you the typical party line .

And on the pensions I'm no further in knowing what the script is 😀

The polls aren’t that high they fluctuate but they’ve been given the gift of Boris Johnson and brexit and not really done anything with it. I understand it’s a risk going too early but you can’t keep this conversation going for years and years and then not put it to people to try move us all on. Politicians and parties have shelf life and they’re going to start to fail at some point whether that’s just through a fatigue of listening to them or a change in circumstances. 
I’ve said before Salmond isn’t for ebeyone and I accept some people despise him but he always drove it on. You could mock his white paper or anything he said tbh but at least he tried to give some sort of vision and plan. In short he believed in it. I appreciate some people ridicule his plans and that’s fair enough but what have this snp really done to advance it? The dial hasn’t really shifted and if it has its been down to the buffoon that is Johnson not through a single things they’ve done. 
The “trust me” waiting game NS appears to be playing is a risky one. 

Im not for berating the SNP all the time but they get on my jimmys. Today, tomorrow or ten years from now I’d vote Yes but I’m not hell bent on an indy Scotland. if it happens it happens. 
The pensions argument is a sideshow I think, to spread some confusion. The old ones let’s scare them and they’re No’s already. A distraction imo.

If we thought the Unionist No side would change tack this time then we know they’re not. It’s already going down the youre going to be skint as **** route and it’s not even started yet. 

Edited by jack D and coke

2 hours ago, Dazo said:

Those against independence don't vote for the SNP and they likely never will, regardless of how well the SNP might govern, or not. 

Independence can be achieved AND the SNP removed from government subsequently. The two are not mutually exclusive but this reality isn't ever going to be discussed by  yoons because that scenario is not in their interests either.  So, the scaremongering goes on. 

Edited by NANOJAMBO

1 minute ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Those against independence don't vote for the SNP and they likely never will.

Independence can be achieved AND the SNP removed from government subsequently. The two are not mutually exclusive but this reality isn't ever going to be discussed by  yoons because it's not in their interests either.  So, the scaremongering goes on. 

What scaremongering ? Everyone knows the snp can be voted out in an independent Scotland. The likelihood is though if they achieve independence they will be in for a while.  Regardless Scotland is predominantly a left of centre voting country and that isn’t for me. 

12 minutes ago, Dazo said:

What scaremongering ? Everyone knows the snp can be voted out in an independent Scotland. The likelihood is though if they achieve independence they will be in for a while.  Regardless Scotland is predominantly a left of centre voting country and that isn’t for me. 

You cannot possibly know that but since the opposition parties raison d'etre is the union there will never be a mature debate about what an independent Scotland could look  like and the Tories/ Labour will continue to trash the SNP at every opportunity.

They will trash any SNP proposal no matter what it looks like (yeah, that's their right) but at some point Scotland will go down the indy route and it will be won. The growth in popularity over my lifetime is inescapable.  In the meantime the unionist parties are closing their eyes & ears to what is happening around them. 

Edited by NANOJAMBO

1 hour ago, jack D and coke said:

Good post.

25 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

The polls aren’t that high they fluctuate but they’ve been given the gift of Boris Johnson and brexit and not really done anything with it. I understand it’s a risk going too early but you can’t keep this conversation going for years and years and then not put it to people to try move us all on. Politicians and parties have shelf life and they’re going to start to fail at some point whether that’s just through a fatigue of listening to them or a change in circumstances. 
I’ve said before Salmond isn’t for ebeyone and I accept some people despise him but he always drove it on. You could mock his white paper or anything he said tbh but at least he tried to give some sort of vision and plan. In short he believed in it. I appreciate some people ridicule his plans and that’s fair enough but what have this snp really done to advance it? The dial hasn’t really shifted and if it has its been down to the buffoon that is Johnson not through a single things they’ve done. 
The “trust me” waiting game NS appears to be playing is a risky one. 

Im not for berating the SNP all the time but they get on my jimmys. Today, tomorrow or ten years from now I’d vote Yes but I’m not hell bent on an indy Scotland. if it happens it happens. 
The pensions argument is a sideshow I think, to spread some confusion. The old ones let’s scare them and they’re No’s already. A distraction imo.

If we thought the Unionist No side would change tack this time then we know they’re not. It’s already going down the youre going to be skint as **** route and it’s not even started yet. 

Another good post. Yes when is the right time for a vote? There never really will be if there are continued arguments about it. Just call it and lets get it over for a generation if no. I really admired Salmond and was a big supporter of his during the last Indy campaign. He really galvanised the cause. I honestly cant see NS doing the same. Shes far too a divisive character to pull in new punters to the Yes cause I feel. 

jack D and coke
21 minutes ago, Dazo said:

This kind of opinion is what I like to see. Not mocking, not childish shite about Jimmy wigs or shortbread and running about with a kilt on.
This is exactly the kind of adult opinion I can accept and I respect it. 

16 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

You cannot possibly know that but since the opposition parties raison d'etre is the union there will never be a mature debate about what an independent Scotland could look  like and the Tories/ Labour will continue to trash the SNP at every opportunity.

They will trash any SNP proposal no matter what it looks like (yeah, that's their right) but at some point Scotland will go down the indy route and it will be won. The growth in popularity over my lifetime is inescapable.  In the meantime the unionist parties are closing their eyes & ears to what is happening around them. 

Of course I don’t know that but is a fair view imo. Let’s be honest it will  be them or labour or a combination of the two. Again that isn’t for me. 

1 minute ago, jack D and coke said:

This kind of opinion is what I like to see. Not mocking, not childish shite about Jimmy wigs or shortbread and running about with a kilt on.
This is exactly the kind of adult opinion I can accept and I respect it. 

To be fair I normally save my childish nonsense when amongst the children and/or arseholes. 😀

jack D and coke
15 minutes ago, Dazo said:

To be fair I normally save my childish nonsense when amongst the children and/or arseholes. 😀

We’re all guilty at times :lol: 
Some are incapable or any debate whatsoever tho. Then my uncle tams and hoose jocks are flying all over the place☺️

3 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Some are incapable or any debate whatsoever tho. Then my uncle tams and hoose jocks are flying all over the place☺️

image-23-10-21-06-56-2.gif

7 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Absolutely. 👍

To be fair though I’ve never felt insulted enough to delve into the meanings of those particular comments. 😂

jack D and coke
8 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Absolutely. 👍

To be fair though I’ve never felt insulted enough to delve into the meanings of those particular comments. 😂

😂😉

41 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Of course I don’t know that but is a fair view imo. Let’s be honest it will  be them or labour or a combination of the two. Again that isn’t for me. 

Fair enough.

2 hours ago, XB52 said:

Its unfortunate but the pandemic etc gives the British government reasons to reject any request for a referendum and blame that. I have no doubt they will reject any request no matter when its made, anyway, but perhaps its why the SNP are waiting till this pandemic could be said to be safely in the "living with" stage. 

jack D and coke
9 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

Its unfortunate but the pandemic etc gives the British government reasons to reject any request for a referendum and blame that. I have no doubt they will reject any request no matter when its made, anyway, but perhaps its why the SNP are waiting till this pandemic could be said to be safely in the "living with" stage. 

Despite all the moon howlers suggesting we’d be swapping London for Brussels rule we wouldn’t have to ask their permission to hold a referendum to leave anywhere down the line. 
Imagine the EU had to grant the uk permission to leave? Or told us no you won’t be having yet, we’ll decide :lol:  Absolutely mental. 

Granted the numbers aren’t hugely for leaving or staying really but its a con we need permission imo and it suits this SNP govt imo. 

It means they don’t have to actually start really doing anything. They can just harp on about it. 

2 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Despite all the moon howlers suggesting we’d be swapping London for Brussels rule we wouldn’t have to ask their permission to hold a referendum to leave anywhere down the line. 
Imagine the EU had to grant the uk permission to leave? Or told us no you won’t be having yet, we’ll decide :lol:  Absolutely mental. 

Granted the numbers aren’t hugely for leaving or staying really but its a con we need permission imo and it suits this SNP govt imo. 

It means they don’t have to actually start really doing anything. They can just harp on about it. 

Yeah, they'd go batshit if they EU held them over a barrel. Strange how freely they will flip their pro-exit arguments to staunch-remain. 

I truly wish that Indy was not the only avenue open to us to usher in more democratic representation, PR and a move towards a society and political system less owned by the Murdoch's and Corporations, that produces a fairer deal for the taxpayers, treats the ill, vulnerable and poor with kindness and respect, and seeks to lift everyone up rather than the ghastly pretence of neoliberalism and trickle-down economics. 

But we rarely get a Labour govt, and when we do, they have to be watered down to appeal to enough of the i'm-alright-jacks to get in. Nothing will ever change, which I expect reassures the right-wing old farts who think we should aspire to living in a country that only exists in the feverish dreams of Nigel Farage, some old sitcoms and duplicitous scum that write fairy tales for the scum.  

jack D and coke
13 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

Yeah, they'd go batshit if they EU held them over a barrel. Strange how freely they will flip their pro-exit arguments to staunch-remain. 

I truly wish that Indy was not the only avenue open to us to usher in more democratic representation, PR and a move towards a society and political system less owned by the Murdoch's and Corporations, that produces a fairer deal for the taxpayers, treats the ill, vulnerable and poor with kindness and respect, and seeks to lift everyone up rather than the ghastly pretence of neoliberalism and trickle-down economics. 

But we rarely get a Labour govt, and when we do, they have to be watered down to appeal to enough of the i'm-alright-jacks to get in. Nothing will ever change, which I expect reassures the right-wing old farts who think we should aspire to living in a country that only exists in the feverish dreams of Nigel Farage, some old sitcoms and duplicitous scum that write fairy tales for the scum.  

The only way they should ever have any say over us leaving or staying is if we decide we’d like to join again. Then they’d have the right to say No. As for this asking permission shite it’s both pitiful and ****ing outrageous. 
I agree about other options bar indy but it’s the north of England I feel for. There is no exit for them. The bit id like to be truly different is another option bar the SNP. They’re picking up votes like mine because I just couldnt stomach the rest. It’ll get to a stage I won’t vote for anyone until a better option. There is Alba now but I’m not sure they’re going to do much, seems to be too many tubes in there. Salmond really should’ve vetted a bit better to make proper inroads into SNP vote. 
Good post tho man. 

manaliveits105

Nicola Sturgeon admits an independent Scotland would have to fund its state pensions

The First Minister was forced to backtrack after the SNP told OAPs that they would be entitled to contributions paid into the UK system:gok:

Konrad von Carstein
11 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Nicola Sturgeon admits an independent Scotland would have to fund its state pensions

The First Minister was forced to backtrack after the SNP told OAPs that they would be entitled to contributions paid into the UK system:gok:

Not like you to be posting pish, but here we are...

Nicola Sturgeon says SNP's position on pensions 'hasn't changed' since 2014.

First Minister accepts 'on an ongoing basis it will be for the Scottish Government to fund Scottish pensions'.

However, she says 'historic assets and liabilities' will be a 'matter for negotiation' pic.twitter.com/8qZU9Nf00m