The rise and fall of The SNP.

jack D and coke
2 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

The Tory view being that as Scotland is walking out , London has no obligations while at the same time telling us we'll be saddled with the debts that London ran up.  Absolute schitzophrenic view. 

Very true…

• Replies 16.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Unknown user

• jack D and coke

• manaliveits105

• Roxy Hearts

Seems the overall general consensus on here (apart from some mouth-breathers) is that the "pensions" thing is a loadapish!

Move on.

1 minute ago, Pans Jambo said:

Seems the overall general consensus on here (apart from some mouth-breathers) is that the "pensions" thing is a loadapish!

Move on.

Yes, it is! Scaremongering propaganda as usual.

7 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Move on.

That's exactly what it is. 

3 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Yes, it is! Scaremongering propaganda as usual.

There is no pot, no fund no asset. 
The U.K. holds a liability, Scotland is part of the U.K. and owns a share of this. 
If there was a fund or asset, we’d share that.  
Obligations with no asset = liability 

8 minutes ago, jambomjm74 said:

There is no pot, no fund no asset. 
The U.K. holds a liability, Scotland is part of the U.K. and owns a share of this. 
If there was a fund or asset, we’d share that.  
Obligations with no asset = liability 

So in your opinion no negotiations, no assets, Scotland gets nothing for its contributions? I don't need convinced our pensions will be fine but you do. 

jack D and coke
5 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

So in your opinion no negotiations, no assets, Scotland gets nothing for its contributions? I don't need convinced our pensions will be fine but you do. 

It’s probably all the posturing beginning. They want scotland to take some liabilities but personally I’m fine with the no pension pot if we walk away debt free. 
Welcome tae their trillions of debt ya dafties😂hopefully the uncle tams will move doon there and help them pay it oaf, can pick up their shanner of a U.K. pension when their aw settled in😂

Edited by jack D and coke

2 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

It’s probably all the posturing beginning. They want scotland to take some liabilities but personally I’m fine with the no pension pot if we walk away debt free. 
Welcome tae their trillions of debt ya dafties😂hopefully the uncle tams will move doon there and help them pay it oaf😂

The Westminster lovers don't trust Westminster. I really don't understand their logic. We could be independent with absolutely nothing via  negotiations! Its absurd.

Just now, Roxy Hearts said:

Future pensions would in all likelihood be funded by Scottish NI, or what ever it would be called, administered and paid for by Scottish tax payers or Scottish debt.  
Yes agreed as part of a negotiated settlement, but we currently share the liability and SNP are certainly not keen on this reality, rather using loose words about U.K. obligations (what with no funding = shared liability) 
A new Scottish pension would take years and see set up costs (100s £m) all part of decisions / negotiations. The complexity and cost a new Scotland would own, this shouldn’t be underestimated and would we be better off and be able to pay more, It’s easy to claim we would be but that’s just another obligation/promise that wouldn’t be met… unless there is some Magic asset or a tax which wouldn’t damage a future Scotland’s growth.. if there is, why isn’t the U.K. doing it now…

4 minutes ago, jambomjm74 said:

Future pensions would in all likelihood be funded by Scottish NI, or what ever it would be called, administered and paid for by Scottish tax payers or Scottish debt.  
Yes agreed as part of a negotiated settlement, but we currently share the liability and SNP are certainly not keen on this reality, rather using loose words about U.K. obligations (what with no funding = shared liability) 
A new Scottish pension would take years and see set up costs (100s £m) all part of decisions / negotiations. The complexity and cost a new Scotland would own, this shouldn’t be underestimated and would we be better off and be able to pay more, It’s easy to claim we would be but that’s just another obligation/promise that wouldn’t be met… unless there is some Magic asset or a tax which wouldn’t damage a future Scotland’s growth.. if there is, why isn’t the U.K. doing it now…

London currently pays state pensions to Scots - that obligation remains.

Post indy , London has an obligation to those who have paid their taxes for decades. It is no different from a Scot leaving Scotland pror to indy and getting a pension statement from DWP telling him what his pension entitlement is - it remains patyable by London. 

If the post indy govrnement were to agree anything else with London that's up to them. 

34 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Welcome tae their trillions of debt ya dafties😂hopefully the uncle tams will move doon there and help them pay it oaf, can pick up their shanner of a U.K. pension when their aw settled in😂

It  has its attractions 😄

14 minutes ago, jambomjm74 said:

If I immigrate I still get my pension. I don't care whether I'm better off or not. It's about us making our decisions and voting out governments we don't like or who's policies are not good enough.

18 minutes ago, jambomjm74 said:

Your last point isn't really relevant to the main point here which is the scaremongering over who will pay current/furute pensions in the event of indy.

There's plenty of horse-trading to be done post indy and pensions cannot be looked at in isolation eg those in here and in the media saying Scotland has to take on a share of England's debt ? Why would it ? If it's a clean slate when Scotland quit (which seems to be the rationale for forcing the penions question on Holyrood) then the same rationale apples to England's national debt. The yoons can't have it both ways. 

Lots of things to be agreed but of course the yoons want to scare people off by implying there will be no pensions. 

2 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Your last point isn't really relevant to the main point here which is the scaremongering over who will pay current/furute pensions in the event of indy.

There's plenty of horse-trading to be done post indy and pensions cannot be looked at in isolation eg those in here and in the media saying Scotland has to take on a share of England's debt ? Why would it ? If it's a clean slate when Scotland quit (which seems to be the rationale for forcing the penions question on Holyrood) then the same rationale apples to England's national debt. The yoons can't have it both ways. 

Lots of things to be agreed but of course the yoons want to scare people off by implying there will be no pensions. 

It’s not England’s debt… it’s U.K. debt which we are part off. We are very much a founding / equal member of the U.K. and the pension “liability” is currently ours / via our share of the uk. 
Clean slate; I would love that option but it is complete nonsense.  I’ve read it a few times and it is just not credible. It’s very worrying that people can even believe this. 

Put simply actions have consequences ; shafting our land locked neighbours (in an unwelcome divorce) who happen to be our biggest trade partners and our only real land/sea route to Europe is the worst plan I’ve ever heard. 
if you want people to change their views, you need to be more realistic and honest, the slate wiping stuff isn’t a believable solution. 

manaliveits105
6 minutes ago, jambomjm74 said:

if you want people to change their views, you need to be more realistic and honest, the slate wiping stuff isn’t a believable solution. 

You give up realism and honesty when you join Nippoeons separatist cult and enter a Brigadoon dream world .

16 minutes ago, jambomjm74 said:

It’s not England’s debt… it’s U.K. debt which we are part off. We are very much a founding / equal member of the U.K. and the pension “liability” is currently ours / via our share of the uk. 
Clean slate; I would love that option but it is complete nonsense.  I’ve read it a few times and it is just not credible. It’s very worrying that people can even believe this. 

Put simply actions have consequences ; shafting our land locked neighbours (in an unwelcome divorce) who happen to be our biggest trade partners and our only real land/sea route to Europe is the worst plan I’ve ever heard. 

"Wiping the slate"  (clean break, if you prefer) isn't my idea - that's what the Tories are peddling when thay say pensions are a Scottish problem while also saying a clean break entails  Scotland taking on a share of a debt it didn't run up and had no say in. You can't have it both ways. If yoons want to talk obligations then that's great  -  but it's a two-way argument , is my point.

"shafting our land locked neighbours" ??? England isn't land-locked and your language seems odd given how often and loud London tells Scotland how much it bails Scotland out. You'd think they'd be glad to be rid. 

Edited by NANOJAMBO

Just now, NANOJAMBO said:

"Wiping the slate"  (clean break, if you prefer) isn't my idea - that's what the Tories are peddling when thay say pensions are a Scottish problem while also saying a clean break entails  Scotland taking on a share of a debt it didn't run up and had no say in. You can't have it both ways. If yoons want to talk obligations then that could - it's a two-way argument , is my point.

"shafting our lan locked neighbours" ??? England isn't land-locked and your language seems odd given how often and loud London tells Scotland how much it bails Scotland out. You'd think they'd be glad to be rid. 

You mentioned England’s debt, then slate wiping… I assumed you meant U.K. debt and Scotland walking away.
Now you mention England running up a pension liability, again this isn’t England this is a “U.K.” pension obligation, which has no asset to fund so is In effect a liability but one we have a share off. 
I expect some in England would be happily rid of Scotland.. that’s the only part I can agree in terms of your update. 

34 minutes ago, jambomjm74 said:

I know imagine starting as a new enlightened,  forward thinking , inclusive Indy nation by bumping money you owe.....! incredible to even suggest. 

1 hour ago, Roxy Hearts said:

The contributions being made by people now across the UK are not paid into a separate pot but are in effect being used to pay current pensioners so there really is no asset to divide up. If it helps why not just think of it as a government backed Ponzi scheme?

2 hours ago, jambomjm74 said:

Sorry but that’s not true, in terms of poorest pension provision in Europe. 

Many other Countries operate with no or very limited private provision and so comparisons are apples and pears and shaped for a political rather than independent view or reasonable assessment. 
The side of the bus comments, that we would magically pay more pension as it’s fair are only fit for the side of busses, no matter who’s mouth / pen they come from. 
We should dream but dreaming and slogans are all this is. 

It's absolutely true, you might be focussed on apples and pears but it's the amount of juice that counts. It's exactly the point that they do things differently.

11 minutes ago, jambomjm74 said:

Exactly. What are the financial implications for each and every one of us? Scotland will at the very least require debt facilities to fund public infrastructure, with the reality that it will have to take on a debt on unfavourable terms as it has no credit rating. Compare this the UK, which has an excellent credit rating as it has always paid back its debts. Even Germany, which is Europe's largest economy has a debt, so there is no escaping. Add to this, Kate Forbes has admitted that Scotland will have with no facility to print money and implement quantitative easing in the case of a world financial crisis, over which Scotland has absolutely no control or influence. Even John Swinney has accepted that the finances dictate that an independent Scotland would face at least a decade of austerity. 

5 minutes ago, Smithee said:

It's absolutely true, you might be focussed on apples and pears but it's the amount of juice that counts. It's exactly the point that they do things differently.

They do things differently, have done for decades.. it takes circa 30/40 years to make a material change to “funded” pensions. U.K. state pension ain’t funded; monies been spent on NHS : Nukes ; railway : Etc etc. It’s now a shared liability.  
The latest; we can change your pensions and match European countries.. aye in 30 years time when every bet comes in and we don't have another covid : war : debts to fulfil. 

In short the pension political rhetoric is akin to an advert, that would be best on a bus and is far from truthful.. unless Scotland has some well kept asset, other than poor weather to run some windmills, it doesn’t.  

Seymour M Hersh

Out of interest can any of the nationalists remember the SNP position on pensions at the "once in a lifetime" referendum of 2014?

10 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Out of interest can any of the nationalists remember the SNP position on pensions at the "once in a lifetime" referendum of 2014?

They've done a grand job this time of highlighting the benefits of being in the Union. They're losing the plot these days.

I suspect this was their attempt at addressing the deficit noise that will surely come the minute they break cover.

Maybe they'll give the job of managing Scotland's pensions to Emma Harper? This still makes me laugh.

So let me get this straight. We become independent and straight away get saddled with a massive debt that the uk government has ran up? However we wouldn’t be entitled to any assets that they have accumulated over the years? On top of this all pensions would be done in cos we would never be able to afford to pay them. On top of this there would be massive hurdles to trading with the uk? 

manaliveits105
40 minutes ago, pablo said:

They've done a grand job this time of highlighting the benefits of being in the Union. They're losing the plot these days.

I suspect this was their attempt at addressing the deficit noise that will surely come the minute they break cover.

Maybe they'll give the job of managing Scotland's pensions to Emma Harper? This still makes me laugh.

:4_1_72::ears::gok:

manaliveits105
3 hours ago, SwindonJambo said:

Well whatever the ins and outs of the SNP, they'll need a new acting Finance Secretary because wee free Kate's expecting her 1st wean. Congratulations to her and her hub, of course 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-60308746

Situation vacant. Experience needed none. Must speak Gaelic. Ability to cosy up to Senior colleague a must. Degree in bullsh*tting preferred. Prayer room provided.

44 minutes ago, jamboy1982 said:

So let me get this straight. We become independent and straight away get saddled with a massive debt that the uk government has ran up? However we wouldn’t be entitled to any assets that they have accumulated over the years? On top of this all pensions would be done in cos we would never be able to afford to pay them. On top of this there would be massive hurdles to trading with the uk? 

Correct. 

England would have no responsibility for its current & future obligations to Scots who paid their taxes to England but Scots would be saddled with debts of £ billions due to their  THEIR obligations to England.  

1 hour ago, pablo said:

image-23-10-21-06-58-16.gif

16 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Situation vacant. Experience needed none. Must speak Gaelic. Ability to cosy up to Senior colleague a must. Degree in bullsh*tting preferred. Prayer room provided.

Funny how shes going to go on leave when Indy ref is a real possibility ? Talk about leaving a sinking ship....

3 hours ago, jambomjm74 said:

You mentioned England’s debt, then slate wiping… I assumed you meant U.K. debt and Scotland walking away.
Now you mention England running up a pension liability, again this isn’t England this is a “U.K.” pension obligation, which has no asset to fund so is In effect a liability but one we have a share off. 
I expect some in England would be happily rid of Scotland.. that’s the only part I can agree in terms of your update. 

England ran up the debt, not Scotland, not Wales. England has forbidden Scotland from borrowing money in the way it itself does. 

I mentioned wiping the slate or a clean break (if you prefer) with the context around it. 

I don't know why people keep banging on about there being no pension pot for pensions : there never has been and there never will be.  But regardless, individuals are required to pay their UK taxes on the basis the pension  will be paid. This is has nothing to do with independence.

I fail to see why Scotland would take on pension libaility for its share of UK pensions  - when it didn't receive the taxes its citizens paid for it.  As NS pointed out. 

England paying "UK" pensions to Scots is no different to them paying pensions to Englishmen who retire to Spain or EU nationals  who can quit the UK and return home but still be paid their pensions : it's based on the qualifying years you paid your taxes for, not your country of residence. 

1 hour ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

I'm not a nationalist but I read it last night.

Is there any part you want to discuss ? 

The Real Maroonblood
9 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

:lol:

The Mighty Thor
1 hour ago, jamboy1982 said:

That's it in a nutshell. 

It makes perfect sense when you're on the Tory Kool Aid

Konrad von Carstein
36 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Funny how shes going to go on leave when Indy ref is a real possibility ? Talk about leaving a sinking ship....

She's pregnant you utter melt!

:cornette:

56 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

You'd be a shoe-in but for that pesky Gaelic requirement. Shame. 

8 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Mind your language 

Seymour M Hersh
40 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Why the volte-face on pensions?

Konrad von Carstein
14 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

😎

Edited by Konrad von Carstein

Lord Montpelier
4 hours ago, SwindonJambo said:

Well whatever the ins and outs of the SNP, they'll need a new acting Finance Secretary because wee free Kate's expecting her 1st wean. Congratulations to her and her hub, of course 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-60308746

It's been a while since they moved Humza Yousaf I imagine he will take over

5 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Why the volte-face on pensions?

What volte face ?

My take is SNP said they'd pay for current pensions but London to pay for current taxpayers not in receipt of a pension. Then qualified by recent comments in Holyrood.

I don't have a link to the doc as I didn't save it. 

https://www.thenational.scot/news/19897097.fmqs-nicola-sturgeon-enters-independent-scotland-pensions-row/

The Scottish Government’s 2014 White Paper makes clear that the Scottish state would fully take over the administration of pension payments. This includes administering UK state pension payments to Scottish residents who have paid National Insurance contributions to the UK Treasury. It does not suggest that an independent Scotland would drop the UK’s obligation to pay Scottish residents their pension.

McDougall, having twisted the original policy, is now outraged that the UK would need to meet their pension obligations. Other Unionists have further suggested that Scottish residents would lose any entitlement to their UK state pension payment post-independence. This suggestion is false.

Konrad von Carstein
2 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Melt? Get a grip James!

"Good Post Enzo's" transformation into a doughball of a poster is complete...

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

"Good Post Enzo's" transformation into a doughball of a poster is complete...

Aye job done.

9 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

https://www.webarchive.org.uk/wayback/archive/20150221031257/http://www.gov.scot/Publications/2013/09/3492/7

• For those people of working age, who are living and working in Scotland at the time of independence, the UK pension entitlement they have accrued prior to independence would become their Scottish State Pension entitlement.

■ for those people of working age who are living and working in Scotland at the time of independence, the UK pension entitlement they have accrued prior to independence will form part of their Scottish State Pension entitlement.

Any pension entitlement accrued in Scotland after independence would also form part of that Scottish State Pension. On reaching the State Pension Age, their Scottish State Pension would be paid by the Scottish Government

From scotreferendum.com.

58 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

England ran up the debt, not Scotland, not Wales. England has forbidden Scotland from borrowing money in the way it itself does. 

I mentioned wiping the slate or a clean break (if you prefer) with the context around it. 

I don't know why people keep banging on about there being no pension pot for pensions : there never has been and there never will be.  But regardless, individuals are required to pay their UK taxes on the basis the pension  will be paid. This is has nothing to do with independence.

I fail to see why Scotland would take on pension libaility for its share of UK pensions  - when it didn't receive the taxes its citizens paid for it.  As NS pointed out. 

England paying "UK" pensions to Scots is no different to them paying pensions to Englishmen who retire to Spain or EU nationals  who can quit the UK and return home but still be paid their pensions : it's based on the qualifying years you paid your taxes for, not your country of residence. 

Uk isn’t England.. although it may seem that way to you. What you say isn’t the real world.. not even close. Clean slate is just nonsense and based on a flawed opinion that the debt is England’s it’s not it’s the U.K.s of which we are a member. 
The way a pension is funded does matter the fact that Scotland/U.K. is part of creating this liability ie uk pensions are an unfunded benefit. I don’t like this position as no fund = risk of future funding not being available and so it’s at risk. Many European state provisions have a pot and as such are an asset and more certain. 
There does appear to be an issue with the ex pat, so possibly you could keep your U.K. passport and have say dual nationality to obtain a U.K. pension. 
What might happen if the U.K. pays for say 5 years and then post settlement says F off and passes a law to stop payment to all non U.K. tax domiciled persons… what you going to do then.. it’s ok Scotland would be able to self fund the most generous pension in Europe… how it affords it, who knows as it would be fair …