Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

J.T.F.Robertson
1 hour ago, Victorian said:

Regarding the advances in treatments with existing drugs and anti-virals (or combinations).    Some people seem to think the various research projects are showing promising data.    I wonder if these interventions can be fine tuned to roll out a system of early intervention before hospitalisation or perhaps as soon as hospitalisation occurs.

We can only hope, Vic.

May even be worth taking some chances the powers that be wouldn't normally.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Trapper John McIntyre said:

Get a grip. She's only discovering now, quite painfully, the true meaning of Better Together.

Have you watched her this week? I'm no fan of the SNP but that woman is a talent. She's communicative, decisive and coherent. If they only had any depth of talent I might not be so against their main policy...

Trapper John McIntyre
Just now, Spellczech said:

Agreed. I also suspect that Cummings is the one behind the "herd immunity" idea. They've looked at Netherlands adopting this because they have highest density of population and multiple open borders and gone "meh, London is like that" so they chose that as the UK's policy. It was a PR disaster when they tried to sell it to the populace on Monday and as the week has progressed Boris has tried to stick to it but clearly others have forced him to clamp down more and more every day. Sunak has clearly made his own calls on economy and Scotland led with Wales and NI quickly following on school closures forcing England to do the same...Today was media driven. 

How do you know its media driven? It could be an incremental step by step process dictated to by the scientific experts.

Boris put Sunak in place didnt he? I know it goes against the grain  to try and give the bumbling fool any credt, but maybe for once the bumbling fool deserves credit.

Christ, if Churchill had to deal with social media in 1940...

Trapper John McIntyre
1 minute ago, Spellczech said:

Have you watched her this week? I'm no fan of the SNP but that woman is a talent. She's communicative, decisive and coherent. If they only had any depth of talent I might not be so against their main policy...

In revealing second hand information? Do you think she has any power in the decision making?

She's reading off a script dictated by her boss in London, man. For christ's sake....

Just now, Trapper John McIntyre said:

How do you know its media driven? It could be an incremental step by step process dictated to by the scientific experts.

Boris put Sunak in place didnt he? I know it goes against the grain  to try and give the bumbling fool any credt, but maybe for once the bumbling fool deserves credit.

Christ, if Churchill had to deal with social media in 1940...

Incremental? - yesteday Boris was asked the question and he dismissed it saying we are a free country! Today he flip-flopped massively.

2 minutes ago, Trapper John McIntyre said:

In revealing second hand information? Do you think she has any power in the decision making?

She's reading off a script dictated by her boss in London, man. For christ's sake....

How come when baw jaws tries to read that script he comes across as a bumbling oaf?

2 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Agreed. I also suspect that Cummings is the one behind the "herd immunity" idea. They've looked at Netherlands adopting this because they have highest density of population and multiple open borders and gone "meh, London is like that" so they chose that as the UK's policy. It was a PR disaster when they tried to sell it to the populace on Monday and as the week has progressed Boris has tried to stick to it but clearly others have forced him to clamp down more and more every day. Sunak has clearly made his own calls on economy and Scotland led with Wales and NI quickly following on school closures forcing England to do the same...Today was media driven. 

Herd immunity is a concept that has been perverted a bit.    It's a thing to achieve via vaccination and it's effective percentage varies per virus / disease.    60% is estimated to be a beneficial point for Covid,   whereas it was 90% for polio.

I think in the early days of this it was thought that herd immunity could be a byproduct benefit derived from infection but that has eventually been discredited by the data.     It would be achieved but the modelling shows as many as 500,000 UK deaths from an all-out herd immunity first policy.    Mass graves times.

Trapper John McIntyre
Just now, Spellczech said:

Incremental? - yesteday Boris was asked the question and he dismissed it saying we are a free country! Today he flip-flopped massively.

Flip flopped? Christ, do you expect him to jump into life and death decisions just because some arsehole on Twitter tells him to?

He may well be a figurehead leader having the strings pulled. But his governmentts poll ratings right now are getting higher. So he must be doing something right. Maybe in the delay he's trying to condition minds slowly to the inevitable rather than shut dow immediately. Lock down has'nt stopped the death rates in Italy and Spain.

Trapper John McIntyre
Just now, Ray Gin said:

How come when baw jaws tries to read that script he comes across as a bumbling oaf?

Maybe because he is!

Remember a former straight man to a monkey was one of America's most popular Presidents. He was great at reading scripts!

Edited by Trapper John McIntyre

1 minute ago, Trapper John McIntyre said:

Open your eyes -  She led the way on schools, the other 2 assemblies followed tout de suite then today they all gave their message together, but yesterday Boris was saying he would not be closing the pubs as we live in a free country...Boris was not the person who decided to close the pubs.

4 minutes ago, Trapper John McIntyre said:

Shocking ignorance.    In the pub tonight?

Just now, Victorian said:

Herd immunity is a concept that has been perverted a bit.    It's a thing to achieve via vaccination and it's effective percentage varies per virus / disease.    60% is estimated to be a beneficial point for Covid,   whereas it was 90% for polio.

I think in the early days of this it was thought that herd immunity could be a byproduct benefit derived from infection but that has eventually been discredited by the data.     It would be achieved but the modelling shows as many as 500,000 UK deaths from an all-out herd immunity first policy.    Mass graves times.

It was Monday they were briefing us on it...

• Moderators

Can we try not to let this descend into an overtly political thread please? For an in depth political discussion please post on another thread. 

10 minutes ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

We can only hope, Vic.

May even be worth taking some chances the powers that be wouldn't normally.

Yep.    Interventional,  experimental treatments can be risked and rushed in with much more confidence than a vaccine.     You absolutely cannot arse around with a vaccine.

2 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

It was Monday they were briefing us on it...

Quite possibly.    It's a bit of a concern.

I respect the CMO and CSA but at the end of the day they are government appointed men who have a duty to dance to the tune of the government.    They are not free to go off message from the government.    

annushorribilis III
5 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Young people have minimal risk of becoming seriously ill and dying. But they have much the same risk as everyone of catching  the virus and infecting others and spreading the virus, hence the advice for maintain social distance not being restricted to old people. . Interesting that you throw in Brexit and the election result as another reason to attack us "old gits" whether or not we voted for either, supporting my view that a degree of ageism informs some comments.

.1. Old people generally don't meet/talk/care about young people : you're safe. Get off the soap box. 

2. I didn't attack anyone  - I attacked the attitudes & beliefs of a segment of the population that couldn't give a shit about the legacy they have left the youth of today - but you knew that. PS We All know where you are on this. 

3. My kids are 29 & 26 and they are sick to death of you and your attitudes. (see 2).

4.Bullshit : rampant ageism from you. 

Be safe FA. May the youth you connect with never know how much you condescend to them. 

1 hour ago, Sooperstar said:

Hearing of several pubs that are packed full tonight and selling bevvy off cheaply.

Anyone in a pub tonight, packed or not packed, is a feckin arsehole.

42 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

One of the few pubs in Dalkeith I’ve never been to. That and Maysons. But cheap beer.... 😎

Owned by a couple of good Hearts fans is the Ship, Maysons is a Hibby I believe.

37 minutes ago, The Muffin Man said:

You wouldn’t last a minute. Cheap beer for sale or not.

How would he ‘not last a minute’?

35 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

I don't think Boris is running the country. I think it is Sunak and the devolved Govts, namely Sturgeon...Every decision that the Govt has made this week has either been by the Chancellor or pre-empted by the devolved Govts. Boris is now just a bumbling mouthpiece.

I would doubt that the Chancellor makes the decisions, he just announces them.

Just now, graygo said:

This one is a very talented man indeed.

Francis Albert
6 minutes ago, annushorribilis III said:

.1. Old people generally don't meet/talk/care about young people : you're safe. Get off the soap box. 

2. I didn't attack anyone  - I attacked the attitudes & beliefs of a segment of the population that couldn't give a shit about the legacy they have left the youth of today - but you knew that. PS We All know where you are on this. 

3. My kids are 29 & 26 and they are sick to death of you and your attitudes. (see 2).

4.Bullshit : rampant ageism from you. 

Be safe FA. May the youth you connect with never know how much you condescend to them. 

1. I meet and interact with a lot of young people

2. I am not in the least ashamed of the attititudes and beliefs that I have failed generally speaking to.pass to.the youths of today.

3. I don't know your kids.  Thankfully I suspect.

4. Ageism works both ways.

2 hours ago, vegas-voss said:

That's me for tonight time to chill out for an hour or two of TV ( not news ) before I freak out.

I've been watching the brilliant Ready, Steady, Go on BBC. 👍

I said it a few days a go, not the right time for Boris bashing. The government can't do everything overnight, no matter who the government is.

Francis Albert
9 minutes ago, graygo said:

Well.rhat dismisses him then!

12 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

This one is a very talented man indeed.

In what way?  He speaks well, I agree with that but for me he's been given a bottomless pit of cash and been told to hand it out.

None of that cash accumulated on the back of any budget of his.

Edit: Just seen the Mod's request to keep this from becoming too political, apologies for that.

Edited by graygo

Francis Albert
3 minutes ago, graygo said:

In what way?  He speaks well, I agree with that but for me he's been given a bottomless pit of cash and been told to hand it out.

Edit: Just seen the Mod's request to keep this from becoming too political, apologies for that.

I don't think.you are in danger of being too.political. But what do you.think he should do? Hand out less cash? 

And since his first budget was a couple of weeks ago how on earth could he have accumulated  the cash he is now rightly handing out?

I think Sunak is an impressive guy.    Excellent demeanor and body language.    Obviously a gifted economist.     

The problem so far is that the government has been reacting to events.     It needs to learn how to pre-empt events.      Trying to mitigate an economic catastrophe with business loans may be judged by history to be one of the worst ever decisions taken by any government.    You can only hope that the latest swerve to sanity is now the norm.

1 minute ago, weehammy said:

We’ll get the true picture on Alex Salmond’s Russia Today programme. Oh wait.........!!!

He'll have more in his mind like.......KY or Vaseline 🤔

1 hour ago, milky_26 said:

that is why wetherspoons are so cheap, they buy lots of beer that is near its expiry date as they know they can sell it cheap and still make profit

Is the Corona free?

2 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Is the Corona free?

Only for Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin and Bing Crosby.

It’s for folk with Crooner Virus.

Just now, Morgan said:

Only for Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin and Bing Crosby.

It’s for folk with Crooner Virus.

:getout:

davemclaren
40 minutes ago, graygo said:

Owned by a couple of good Hearts fans is the Ship, Maysons is a Hibby I believe.

Apparently I wouldn’t last a minute. 😎

27 minutes ago, graygo said:

If watching Newsnight right now you'd see...

Francis Albert
18 minutes ago, Victorian said:

I think Sunak is an impressive guy.    Excellent demeanor and body language.    Obviously a gifted economist.     

The problem so far is that the government has been reacting to events.     It needs to learn how to pre-empt events.      Trying to mitigate an economic catastrophe with business loans may be judged by history to be one of the worst ever decisions taken by any government.    You can only hope that the latest swerve to sanity is now the norm.

Every government had been reacting to events.  Business loans was an early reaction

To suggest it will be judged  one of the worst decisions taken.by any government seems just a tad over the top.

Edited by Francis Albert

2 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Please don't humour me. What exactly was the point of your comment that he hadn't accumulated the cash he was distributing in any of his previous budgets?

Do you not agree that that is a fairly large part of the remit of a Chancellor?

Not his fault I agree but it's still a fact.

Francis Albert
2 minutes ago, graygo said:

Do you not agree that that is a fairly large part of the remit of a Chancellor?

Not his fault I agree but it's still a fact.

What do you mean by it is a fairly large part of the remit of a Chancellor? To have ensured that his predecessors had accumulated enough to fund what was necessary in the circumstances he inherited? Or to.within a couple of weeks have  created those resources? What is "still.a fact"?

2 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

What do you mean by it is a fairly large part of the remit of a Chancellor? To have ensured that his predecessors had accumulated enough to fund what was necessary in the circumstances he inherited? Or to.within a couple of weeks have  created those resources? What is "still.a fact"?

You've lost the plot.

annushorribilis III
47 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

1. I meet and interact with a lot of young people

2. I am not in the least ashamed of the attititudes and beliefs that I have failed generally speaking to.pass to.the youths of today.

3. I don't know your kids.  Thankfully I suspect.

4. Ageism works both ways.

It's really simple .

Old people don't give a shite about youngsters : they vote Tory, they don''t care about anything until they personally take a hit (eg the NHS)  and they inflicted brexit on the country.

(2) nice sophistry

(3). One  of them  Is totally stressed out, she will continue to work as a teacher , her school (and many others ) will not be closing  (no matter what Johnson says ) because there is no way to care for & feed so many needy kids out there (and that's before we get to "essential workers". . I'd like you to meet her even though you're not  worthy.  

(4) It doesn't. Old people vote (Tory)  , they moan, they mobilise. Ageism always works one way. Old people are always heard and always rewarded. 

Good luck on the queues for the ventilators. Don't forget: you voted for this. 

Francis Albert
3 minutes ago, annushorribilis III said:

It's really simple .

Old people don't give a shite about youngsters : they vote Tory, they don''t care about anything until they personally take a hit (eg the NHS)  and they inflicted brexit on the country.

(2) nice sophistry

(3). One  of them  Is totally stressed out, she will continue to work as a teacher , her school (and many others ) will not be closing  (no matter what Johnson says ) because there is no way to care for & feed so many needy kids out there (and that's before we get to "essential workers". . I'd like you to meet her even though you're not  worthy.  

(4) It doesn't. Old people vote (Tory)  , they moan, they mobilise. Ageism always works one way. Old people are always heard and always rewarded. 

Good luck on the queues for the ventilators. Don't forget: you voted for this. 

I have never voted Tory in my life. Nor for Brexit.

Edited by Francis Albert

4 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

I have certainly lost your plot whatever it is.

Get your kicks elsewhere old man, I'm not indulging you anymore.

annushorribilis III
1 minute ago, Francis Albert said:

I have never voted Tory in.my life.

Good luck on the ventilators. 

I the meantime my daughter will do her best. Even though you think so little of her. 

And now I'll put you on ignore. 

Dagger Is Back
2 hours ago, Sooperstar said:

Hearing of several pubs that are packed full tonight and selling bevvy off cheaply.

Tally Ho in Winchburgh apparently. I’d be taking the feckers licence

Just now, Dagger Is Back said:

Tally Ho in Winchburgh apparently. I’d be taking the feckers licence

It's happening up and down the country. Have seen it mentioned from London to Inverness. Pubs packed out.

luckyBatistuta
1 hour ago, Hairdryer said:

If you know the name of them then name and shame them and

for the people drinking in them you are very selfish 

1 hour ago, Morgan said:

Anyone in a pub tonight, packed or not packed, is a feckin arsehole.

Loads in the Goodies

Dagger Is Back
1 minute ago, Sooperstar said:

It's happening up and down the country. Have seen it mentioned from London to Inverness. Pubs packed out.

Yip. Mate drive through Mid Calder and said they were all opened and rammed. Tynie Arms and The Pig open too

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Coronavirus pandemic
  • davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic