Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

9 minutes ago, Suso Santana said:

They've been a bit vague about shops shutting..

The place i work for will probably have to close if newsagents, scotmid, margiotta's and post offices have to close. 

why would they have to close?

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Absolute nonsense and bollocks. I reckon this is a far better deal than most were expecting. Get over your own prejudices and admit this is something that no one, especially the Labour Party, could have bettered.

I would never have voted for Boris and was opposed to him taking power. You need to give him credit for this package because seeing a Tory government guarantee people's wages, albeit 80% , is simply astonishing. 

I just cant find details at all of this? Where are you all getting the PAYE quotes from etc. I've just watched the announcement. genuine question as cant find any info. cheers

1 minute ago, hughesie27 said:

How long will they pay wages for? Just the 2 weeks for self isolation in a household? What if you don't get it in those 2 weeks and then subsequently get it when you venture back outside?

i thought they said for initially up to 3 months

Just now, Alan_R said:

I just cant find details at all of this? Where are you all getting the PAYE quotes from etc. I've just watched the announcement. genuine question as cant find any info. cheers

Sunak said it when saying stuff about HMRC

Malinga the Swinga
Just now, hughesie27 said:

How long will they pay wages for? Just the 2 weeks for self isolation in a household? What if you don't get it in those 2 weeks and then subsequently get it when you venture back outside?

Backdated to March 1st and for a minimum of 3 months, although no limit has been set. If it needs to be extended, it will be. 

2 minutes ago, Alan_R said:

absolutely not. they will be the closest thing to a local supermarket for many. stop folking trekking to the superstores

Totally it's what I have been using.Staying away and not needing the wife to drive to supermarkets.Im being respectful and everyone I seen this morning was doing the same.

Suso Santana
Just now, hughesie27 said:

why would they have to close?

Same reason cinemas, restaurants and pubs have to close i suppose. We're suppose to avoid people and stay at home. 

Francis Albert
26 minutes ago, graygo said:

Anyone else feel like the government thinks the end is nigh?

Giving away money like it doesn't matter.

No.

Government blamed for not giving away money. Then for giving away money. Then for thinking the end is nigh. 

Still Jeremy or Jo Swinson or Nicola would have sorted it all by now. 

Reducing this to making cheap political point scoring is shameful.

6 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Absolute nonsense and bollocks. I reckon this is a far better deal than most were expecting. Get over your own prejudices and admit this is something that no one, especially the Labour Party, could have bettered.

I would never have voted for Boris and was opposed to him taking power. You need to give him credit for this package because seeing a Tory government guarantee people's wages, albeit 80% , is simply astonishing. 

:sweeet:

Time for some to admit its a good thing and put their own agendas on the backburner for 3 month minimum.

Brighton Jambo
18 minutes ago, graygo said:

Priceless!!

Boris advises not to visit mothers on Sunday then says he hopes to see his.

Absolute roaster of a human being.

Everything they have just said and announced to help people and this is what you hone in on? Pathetic.

also I just looked back as I was watching it on sky and he actually said he is in regular contact with his family but will be too busy on Sunday to do so.

so you are basically totally wrong.  

Malinga the Swinga

For the first time ever, when a politician says whatever it takes, I actually believe the chancellor means it.

2 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

No.

Government blamed for not giving away money. Then for giving away money. Then for thinking the end is nigh. 

Reducing this to making cheap political point scoring is shameful.

Have a word with yourself you crashing old bore, it was quite obviously a tongue in cheek comment.

4 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

No.

Reducing this to making cheap political point scoring is shameful

:laugh:

You are a parody of yourself FA.

Just now, Taffin said:

I'm far from a Boris fan and even further from a Tory fan but personally I think they've handled this whole thing well.

Are now after a slow start

Day 7 of being in quarantine here. Went to the supermarket today and I was the only one not wearing a mask or gloves .. felt surreal and I was getting some looks !

Suso Santana

I actually think Boris has been coming across quite well as prime minister. He seems to be a bit more street savvy than a lot of them. 

2 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Everything they have just said and announced to help people and this is what you hone in on? Pathetic.

also I just looked back as I was watching it on sky and he actually said he is in regular contact with his family but will be too busy on Sunday to do so.

so you are basically totally wrong.  

Bullshit, he said what you claim then finished it off with saying he hoped to see her 

So basically I am totally correct.

I didn't "hone" in on his commitment about seeing his mother, it was in addition to all the other things.

Brighton Jambo
16 minutes ago, Cade said:

Everything they should have done two or three weeks ago.

Proper lockdowns.

Wage guarantees.

Universal credit expansion.

Shame it's waken so bloody long for reality to bite and for central government to act.

How many people have been infected that could have been prevented if they'd done all this in the first place?

How many people have already lost their jobs before these measures were put in place?

Your relentless slamming of the government is starting to show you up for who you really are.  There is literally nothing they could do that would be right in your eyes so why dont you give it a rest.  Your constant political agenda pushing is shameful right now.  

Francis Albert
Just now, Suso Santana said:

I actually think Boris has been coming across quite well as prime minister. He seems to be a bit more street savvy than a lot of them. 

Controversial view but despite me being far from a Tory or a posh boy I actually agree. Polls seem to be giving him and the Government a fairly high rating too. 

Brighton Jambo
1 minute ago, graygo said:

Bullshit, he said what you claim then finished it off with saying he hoped to see her 

So basically I am totally correct.

I didn't "hone" in on his commitment about seeing his mother, it was in addition to all the other things.

I just watched the question back and he absolutely did not say that.  His last comment was that he would be too busy.  

was he asked the same question again? 

Edited by Brighton Jambo

3 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I'm far from a Boris fan and even further from a Tory fan but personally I think they've handled this whole thing well.

Agreed

Time to judge them is how they plan us to recover after it.Right now I'm happy with how they are doing.Boris has the bulldog style and generally is a tit but look past that you can see the concern in his eyes imo.

2 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

I just watched the question back and he absolutely did not say that.  His last comment was that he would be too busy.  

He said it. Right after he said he would be too busy.

10 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

The lesson of history is that I will more than likely be correct in this prediction. My assertions are based on probability, so don't judge me on your weak theory of human kindness.

joondalupjambo

So to get the wages money it is employers who have to apply for it, it is not a payment direct to an employee, right? 

If it is then a business who is already carrying a bit of debt, who does not want to take on more debt via the business support loans or grants because that just increases their level of debt and has poor cash flow, why would in these cases would they want to do this, why not just fold and re-start under a new name once all this mess is over?

Also businesses running with a large volume of zero hour contract workers may decide just to let them go and not go through all the hoops.

Look I get it there are some decent employers out there but this is all about choices by the business owners and not about morals.  Proof will be in the pudding, only when we look back and see the number of people made unemployed at this time will we see if this wage rescue plan worked.  

Francis Albert
7 minutes ago, graygo said:

Have a word with yourself you crashing old bore, it was quite obviously a tongue in cheek comment.

So when you said they were giving away money as if it doesn't matter what did you mean? That they shouldn't do that?

At this stage money doesn't really matter and despite being evil Tories the Government recognises that.  Good on them.

4 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

He said he would hope to see her.That could mean anything Skype,video call etc which is probably the most likely.Imagibr getting to ask a question and you ask that though 

Malinga the Swinga
3 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

The lesson of history is that I will more than likely be correct in this prediction. My assertions are based on probability, so don't judge me on your weak theory of human kindness.

So sad and yet so predictable. 

Just now, The Frenchman Returns said:

Roseburn Bar getting busy

Tonight is one last chance for folk to get infected en masse and help the NHS's ICU units completely collapse

4 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

So to get the wages money it is employers who have to apply for it, it is not a payment direct to an employee, right? 

If it is then a business who is already carrying a bit of debt, who does not want to take on more debt via the business support loans or grants because that just increases their level of debt and has poor cash flow, why would in these cases would they want to do this, why not just fold and re-start under a new name once all this mess is over?

Also businesses running with a large volume of zero hour contract workers may decide just to let them go and not go through all the hoops.

Look I get it there are some decent employers out there but this is all about choices by the business owners and not about morals.  Proof will be in the pudding, only when we look back and see the number of people made unemployed at this time will we see if this wage rescue plan worked.  

this is why i was trying to find out more on it. because this is my interpretation of it too. while we all agree it sounds very good im still not sure how it will work in reality

5 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

If they find a way to enforce it, it's very good.

Francis Albert
4 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

How is the Government supposed to set up direct payments to individuals in the midst of all this?

5 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

It's a business grant, not a loan.

Money goes from govt to the business who then use it to pay 80% wages.

The loan scheme is interest-free and has been extended to 12 months.

VAT deferred till the next quarter too.

All good news for business and hopefully will stop the unfair firings that have been going on for the last fortnight whilst the government faffed about.

Brighton Jambo

I don’t write this lightly but I honestly believe there are some posters on here who will take some perverse satisfaction if death numbers rocket like in Italy so they can get on here and slam Boris and the Tories for getting it all wrong and they should have done this and that   

19 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Missed Trump's conference earlier. Anyone able to summarize?

Never seen it but it was probably "beating it ,faster than ever,faster than yesterday actually "

Meanwhile governors across the country are telling the true picture.

12 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

So when you said they were giving away money as if it doesn't matter what did you mean? That they shouldn't do that?

At this stage money doesn't really matter and despite being evil Tories the Government recognises that.  Good on them.

So you want me to explain what I meant by saying they were giving away money as if it doesn't matter then in the next sentence you say that money doesn't really matter. Don't bother replying, I won't be engaging with you.

16 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

He said he would hope to see her.That could mean anything Skype,video call etc which is probably the most likely.Imagibr getting to ask a question and you ask that though 

Glad I wasn't the only one to hear it.

4 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

I don’t write this lightly but I honestly believe there are some posters on here who will take some perverse satisfaction if death numbers rocket like in Italy so they can get on here and slam Boris and the Tories for getting it all wrong and they should have done this and that   

Which posters?

Francis Albert
8 minutes ago, graygo said:

So you want me to explain what I meant by saying they were giving away money as if it doesn't matter then in the next sentence you say that money doesn't really matter. Don't bother replying, I won't be engaging with you.

I can't make much sense of this. 

But sorry if I wrongly interpreted your comment about giving away money as if it didn't matter as a criticism especially when combined with your "tongue in cheek" comment that that they were doing so meant they thought the end was nigh.

Edited by Francis Albert

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Coronavirus pandemic
  • davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic