Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Maybe just make them queue a couple of metres apart and give them takeout boxes. Hope they’ve thought it through though. Be awful to hear of it spreading among vulnerable people. 

for me that would be the only way of doing it. 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Francis Albert
5 hours ago, Victorian said:

This is trolling or off-the-scale ignorance.     Up to 100 or so per pub (lots less in some) multiplied by a few hundred pubs up and down the land (probably more) multiplied by pub attendees returning to wives, children, partners,  etc,  multiplied by wives and partners all trooping out today (with or without pub attendee) to supermarkets to be in close proximity to hundreds of other shoppers + handling trolleys,  shelving,  items,  etc.

It's a potentially significant little chunk ripped out of the delay measures.    Every little bit of delay injected in to the model saves lives.     

What the hell is wrong with you?

Sounds like you need to get out more!

Seriously I regret if my flippant post contributed to the spread of Coronovirus. I doubt it did.

A couple of observations from the front line this morning.. The advice on social distancing has not got through or is simply being ignored. On my ten minute walk to the newsagent this morning no-one was practicing it (group of joggers, group of half a dozen schoolkids, a few other small groups of all ages (except the elderly). It is one thing my wife and I have been fairly consistent about, helped by our preference for the quietest corner of a bar or restaurant.

I paid about £6 for my papers and a couple of soft drinks can using a contactless credit card. On the way out I spotted another paper I wanted and tried to pay with same card. £2 minimum said the owner or spouse of the owner (so not a rule imposed on them).. So I had to pass over a £20 note and receive a bundle of notes and coins no doubt widely circulated since Coronavirus arrived. What sense does that make?

Just now, GinRummy said:

What’s the imprint on that bar of soap meant to be? Thought it was an elephant but seems to have a lot of legs. 

It's a mammoth

21 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Good for them. Great effort. Wonder how they’re going to manage it and keep them all apart from one another. 

I guess they'll just have to space them apart, both in time and position. Definitely doable.

1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

What’s the imprint on that bar of soap meant to be? Thought it was an elephant but seems to have a lot of legs. 

Looks like a huge mammoth standing in front of a smaller mammoth so that the only part you can see of the smaller mammoth is its legs. :)

1 minute ago, redjambo said:

Looks like a huge mammoth standing in front of a smaller mammoth so that the only part you can see of the smaller mammoth is its legs. :)

A bit early for LSD 😬

5 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Seriously I regret if my flippant post contributed to the spread of Coronovirus. I doubt it did.

A couple of observations from the front line this morning.. The advice on social distancing has not got through or is simply being ignored. On my ten minute walk to the newsagent this morning no-one was practicing it (group of joggers, group of half a dozen schoolkids, a few other small groups of all ages (except the elderly). It is one thing my wife and I have been fairly consistent about, helped by our preference for the quietest corner of a bar or restaurant.

I paid about £6 for my papers and a couple of soft drinks can using a contactless credit card. On the way out I spotted another paper I wanted and tried to pay with same card. £2 minimum said the owner or spouse of the owner (so not a rule imposed on them).. So I had to pass over a £20 note and receive a bundle of notes and coins no doubt widely circulated since Coronavirus arrived. What sense does that make?

Your comment is a comment and is of no consequence.   The content obviously does.    Your flippant reply is completely typical.

I'll be trying my best to avoid any further discussion with you.    You're a complete waste of space and add nothing worthwhile to this forum.     

Edited by Victorian

4 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Having a contactless minimum or putting yourself at risk for a paper?

Neither make sense in fairness 😂😂

I'm just having a light-hearted laugh by the way before you think I'm having a go.

Just now, Barack said:

No, ya dafty. When you asked how they'll keep them apart from each other and Robbo put that soap picture up.

Manmoth's having a wash? Wtf! :lol:

😂😂😂 I’m a dingle like

35 minutes ago, EH11_2NL said:

Therefore not bikers. Mid-life crisis, Ducati owning, 'motorcycle enthusiasts' 🙄. Probably don't even know who Ogri is.

You just described me. ☹️

Who is Ogri?

Francis Albert
2 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Having a contactless minimum or putting yourself at risk for a paper?

Neither make sense in fairness 😂😂

I'm just having a light-hearted laugh by the way before you think I'm having a go.

Fair point.

Don't worry … I am not as sensitive as many on here. 

Just now, John Findlay said:

I'm living my life normally.

If you’re just carrying on as before, that’s not normal any more. 

39 minutes ago, EH11_2NL said:

Therefore not bikers. Mid-life crisis, Ducati owning, 'motorcycle enthusiasts' 🙄. Probably don't even know who Ogri is.

That's to ones, obviously not stupid folk and have a few bob looking at thier gear.

John Findlay
Just now, GinRummy said:

If you’re just carrying on as before, that’s not normal any more. 

Yes I am. It's normal to me. 

Just now, kila said:

Scot Gov 2pm update:

We're up to 7 deaths now.

Stats for anyone who is interested. Yes, and we know there is not widespread testing.

Scottish test numbers: 21 March 2020

A total of 8259 Scottish tests have concluded. Of these:

• 7886 tests were confirmed negative
  • 373 tests were positive
  • 7 patients who tested positive for coronavirus (COVID-19) have died
Health board Positive cases
Ayrshire and Arran 21
Borders 10
Dumfries and Galloway 13
Fife 13
Forth Valley 27
Grampian 20
Greater Glasgow and Clyde 110
Highland 8
Lanarkshire 49
Lothian 44
Shetland 24
Tayside 34

Last updated on 21 March 2020. The latest numbers will publish at 2pm each day.

SwindonJambo
13 hours ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Agree with every word. Hancock was excellent last night and I’ve always had time for AB

To be honest, I’m still trying to get my head round what’s available to me as a self employed person. My employee is now sorted in terms of wages but unless I’ve missed something there’s nothing else.

Our business was suspended today and we’ve no income coming into the house other than my wife’s 15 hours pw

Start a warehouse job in Livvy tomorrow doing the 2-10pm shift

Been a long time since I ‘took orders’ so hoping they’re a decent employer. 

Very well done sir. That shows a lot of true grit and gumption in a tough situation. I’ve been deemed to be a ‘key worker’ so I’m continuing to work in the office as normal with all due precautions. Several of my colleagues are working from home due to previous health issues so we’re spreading apart, leaving empty desks between occupied ones. Enforced working from home may soon come though - it’s under review.

There have so far been only 2 confirmed cases in Swindon. Swindon attracts few tourists, which has given it some degree of protection! However, I live in a wee village across the border in Oxfordshire and many of my neighbours are European postgraduate students who regularly visit their families. I Oxfordshire has had far more cases, especially in Oxford itself with 2 big universities.

Soviet-era bio-weapons research plant 'will have vaccine by June'

A Soviet-era biological weapons research plant is preparing to have a coronavirus vaccine ready by June.

Scientists are testing 13 potential vaccines for coronavirus on ferrets and “lower primates” like lemurs, a lorises, and galagos or bush babies in a bid to beat the disease.

The announcement comes at the same time as the UK announced is it developing its own vaccine against CIVOD-19, with human and animal trials set to begin next week at the Government’s secret science base Porton Down.

davemclaren
3 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

A Soviet-era biological weapons research plant is preparing to have a coronavirus vaccine ready by June.

Scientists are testing 13 potential vaccines for coronavirus on ferrets and “lower primates” like lemurs, a lorises, and galagos or bush babies in a bid to beat the disease.

The announcement comes at the same time as the UK announced is it developing its own vaccine against CIVOD-19, with human and animal trials set to begin next week at the Government’s secret science base Porton Down.

Excellent news. Just in time for my summer hols.. 🤪

Jambof3tornado

People need to switch on fukkin fast to this, kids didnt get out of school to hang around in groups, this isn't an extended summer holiday, people are dying, the hospitals are about to get hit with something many of us would only have nightmares about.

If you are a parent try to get them to understand they are putting YOUR lives at risk!! 

Please avoid using 999 unless totally necessary as our resources are finite, if we are wasting time on ridiculous calls we arent getting to the important ones.

Batten down the hatches.

Those guys in the air helmets scare the shite out of me, I dont want to end up like that!!!

6 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

But will it manage to factor in that it's a UK virus deliberately inflicted on China as the Russians are also saying. 

Edited by Mikey1874

The Internet
7 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

June 2021 yeah? 

9 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Excellent news. Just in time for my summer hols.. 🤪

Off to Italy?

18 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Some dumbass questions and/or duplication of questions going on at the daily briefing.       

it was as if all reporters there were on work experience

Are the German's at it with their numbers, or is it just their health care system is stronger? 

More confirmed cases than Iran but only 73 deaths compared to over 1500. And double the cases of South Korea and still 30 less dead. 

Edited by Normthebarman

Just now, milky_26 said:

it was as if all reporters there were on work experience

Pathetic stuff.    In practice they will all have had the same small number of questions to ask.    Will have had their question 'nicked' by another reporter.    Then tried to amend their question on the hoof and not been able to to any degree.

So,  rationing.  Will ye be doing that?

No.  The retailers are best placed to manage that.

Just on the point of rationing.   Are you able to guarantee that actual rationing wont happen?

3 minutes ago, Normthebarman said:

Are the German's at it with their numbers, or is it just their health care system is stronger? 

More confirmed cases than Iran but only 73 deaths compared to over 1500. And double the cases of South Korea and still 30 less dead. 

Health service is just about to hit breaking point according to news.Most probably why Bavaria now enforcing lockdown.

Just now, Victorian said:

Pathetic stuff.    In practice they will all have had the same small number of questions to ask.    Will have had their question 'nicked' by another reporter.    Then tried to amend their question on the hoof and not been able to to any degree.

Just on the point of rationing.   Are you able to guarantee that actual rationing wont happen?

to make those briefings better as they will know the majority of what is said they should have their questions submitted and then they can be went through quicker by who is on stage

3 minutes ago, Normthebarman said:

They could just be testing far more people, including those who are not at risk but have the virus and are self-isolating and may not be picked up in the stats of other countries. Just a possibility.

Hopefully after all this is over, we'll get a thorough analysis of what worked and didn't work, covering testing, transmission and healthcare.

Just now, milky_26 said:

to make those briefings better as they will know the majority of what is said they should have their questions submitted and then they can be went through quicker by who is on stage

Yeah either that or the minister could bypass any largely duplicated question and move on without an answer.  

Still no mention of the big hole in the workers' wages scheme.     Workers who's employers decide to cease trading for good and do not retain their employees.    The wages scheme will pay wages of workers retained and still part of a company payroll.    What is there for the ones who are left out of work by employers who wind up the business with no ongoing payroll in operation?     

A big hole but not being examined.

4 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

There is a view that it may be down to the way the Germans are recording the deaths.

I think the Germans have also done a lot more testing than other countries. This means they have detected a lot more cases, particularly amongst the young who are mild/asymptomatic.  So actually they might not be as far as long as most people think in the outbreak just they have detected more. It’s a view that reinforces the belief that a lot more people in UK are infected that we know.

Despite cries for a vaccine I think what brings us out this is the antibody testing. The test has been developed its the upscaling for mass production and distribution. If we can find out infected rate, it takes the biggest variable away in the science modelling, enables us to understand who safe and kick start the economy again. 

Is that the test Trump was on about that is just a simple swab that is taken ?

The antibody test will be a game changer but only in conjunction with much better understanding of any rate of re-infection + ongoing transmission after recovery.    These things are vital to know.

8 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I don’t really listen to Trump, so no idea what he refers to.

WHat I’m referring to.

https://apple.news/AAAKNNgGLS7614lk_I5uhNA

https://apple.news/Av6lvEFnDR1q5eGSUZR23EA

How long will the antibodies show up though? Hopefully this is a game changer and we can see who has recovered and won't spread among the community.

31 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Still no mention of the big hole in the workers' wages scheme.     Workers who's employers decide to cease trading for good and do not retain their employees.    The wages scheme will pay wages of workers retained and still part of a company payroll.    What is there for the ones who are left out of work by employers who wind up the business with no ongoing payroll in operation?     

A big hole but not being examined.

Chancellor also announced reductions in the Universal Credit thresholds and many other measures which now allows self employed and people out of work to get more benefit and get it easier.

Just now, Cade said:

Chancellor also announced reductions in the Universal Credit thresholds and many other measures which now allows self employed and people out of work to get more benefit and get it easier.

Still a terrible disparity.

Worker A is lucky and their employer shuts on a temporary basis and becomes furloughed.   Paid 80% of wages.

Worker B is unlucky and their employer decides they must close on a permanent basis.    Laid off.   No furloughed status.   No 80% of wages.    Need to apply for UC with all the additional horrors of that.

1 hour ago, Victorian said:

Based on Govt's performance last week , we can expect rationing by Monday...

Plus I agree with Shaun above - apart from the bit about Labour being electable under Corbyn (that bit is nonsense)

Edited by Spellczech

19 minutes ago, Sarah O said:

We need lockdown. 

I expect it to be announced in a day or so. 

I do as well. There are not enough people heeding the social distancing guidelines and it’s still being spread on public transport and in work places. 

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Coronavirus pandemic
  • davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic