Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Francis Albert
5 minutes ago, graygo said:

Glad I wasn't the only one to hear it.

But maybe the only one to interpret it in the trite way you did.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

I don’t write this lightly but I honestly believe there are some posters on here who will take some perverse satisfaction if death numbers rocket like in Italy so they can get on here and slam Boris and the Tories for getting it all wrong and they should have done this and that   

Of course there is. Some deliberately lie to discredit the Government in any way possible. 

They'll be positively spewing that a Tory chancellor introducing the measures he has announced today. 

2 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

But maybe the only one to interpret it in the trite way you did.

You have no idea how anyone else interpreted it.

Who pissed on your cornflakes today old man?

The chancellor’s announcements this week have saved my company that I’ve taken 14 years to build and 17 jobs. I’m absolutely delighted.

All anyone should be worried about right now is their health and the health of others and that has been achieved. Bravo👍👏👏

Edited by GinRummy

I P Knightley
1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

Anyone got any tips on the home schooling aspects from Coronavirus.

I appreciate learning not about just reading and learning something in classes there is a lot of discussion around things with peers etc. 

Should I look to set up things such as FaceTime groups or whatever so they have opportunity to speak to other kids about learning or similar?

Anyway,  any advice on matters of attention spans of kids, ways to make fun, good resources, structuring of days etc etc 

My kids are 11 and 12.

There is a ton of resource online that's set up for kids. BBC Bitesize is an excellent resource; I use mathsgenie for my boys and can get a load of learning resource from TES online. They'll probably find some of the content really engaging (loads of videos and interactivity on Bitesize).

I've never set up groups for my lads but will go through the content with them - sometimes because I actually enjoy re-learning this stuff!

1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:

Vaccinated population before they released it 🤨

:biglaugh:

1 hour ago, Alan_R said:

KIDS OUT PLAYING , ADVICE?

my Kids wee pal was at the door today.

I told mine to stay in. We're not self isolating but just generally trying to follow the advice not to be out and about unnecessarily.

All the kids in the street, groups of them playing.

I feel a bit shan that my kids think im being a spoil sport but seems other folk just aren't taking advice seriously and letting kids out to roam free. bit selfish if you ask me.

Thoughts/opinions? Am I justified or going over the score and being influenced by the panic?

The advice is to isolate or distance yourself. Kids out playing in the street or parks are very unlikely to think sensibly about this. If there's a ball being kicked about, there will be contact with tackles and, possibly, virus transferred from skin to skin with headers or throws. 

My son's mates were arranging meet-ups in parks after school broke up as if it was an end of term party. He's now in a foul mood with us because we wouldn't let him join them. (As it happened, one of them had to be carried home 'cos he'd got pissed - wouldn't have been much fun for anyone having a 15/16-year old drooling and vomiting all over them and plooks popping off his face everywhere).

It's a real shame for these guys in particular. They've been working up to their GCSE exams in May/June and were looking forward to a summer of hair being let down, Reading Festival and all sorts of fun. Now, it's like a balloon has popped; momentum grinds to a halt and they can't get out and about having the fun they'd hoped for. Some of them were leaving it to the last minute and are now fecked. Still, it's no excuse for their arsehole parents to allow them to go scudding about in a gang, sharing a bottle of vodka, risking bringing home the virus and infecting the rest of the family. 

In short - not only are you justified; you're being responsible. Your neighbours are being dicks. 

Trapper John McIntyre
2 minutes ago, pablo said:

Of course there is. Some deliberately lie to discredit the Government in any way possible. 

They'll be positively spewing that a Tory chancellor introducing the measures he has announced today. 

Their mate Eck will be forced to have his last few drinks in the hoose...

Just now, GinRummy said:

The chancellor’s announcements this weeks have saved my company that I’ve taken 14 years to build and 17 jobs. I’m absolutely delighted.

All anyone should be worried about right now is their health and the health of others and that has been achieved. Bravo👍👏👏

Come on, it's good news about what he is doing for the economy but the health thing hasn't quite been achieved yet.

Just now, graygo said:

Come on, it's good news about what he is doing for the economy but the health thing hasn't quite been achieved yet.

that wasn’t what I meant. I meant now that he’s sorted the financial side for many, people could concentrate fully on trying to stay healthy. 

Shanks said no
27 minutes ago, kila said:

Tonight is one last chance for folk to get infected en masse and help the NHS's ICU units completely collapse

Or for 2 perfectly healthy individuals to risk a mild cold and be very careful with their vulnerable relatives 

millerjames398
2 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I know, but it happens.

One of the UK's top divorce lawyers said this.

"Our peak times are after long exposure during the summer holidays and over Christmas.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-very-likely-to-cause-spike-in-divorce-rates-says-leading-lawyer-11959419

Pressure cookers all over the country, in households over the next few weeks 🤯😂

joondalupjambo
25 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

How is the Government supposed to set up direct payments to individuals in the midst of all this?

Direct to the employee via PAYE system.  Unfortunately this is all about whose ideology you want to follow.  I have run small businesses and my experience is that to access any government monies as a way of support either for the business or an employee you need to jump through hoops.  You also need patience and time, the latter is the big problem here hence why direct payments are quicker.  Of course that has issues but what you try to save on over payments is far outweighed by the benefits IMO.

Just now, The Frenchman Returns said:

Or for 2 perfectly healthy individuals to risk a mild cold and be very careful with their vulnerable relatives 

You’re actually risking death. Many people have undiagnosed health conditions and don’t know their risk is heightened. 

joondalupjambo
31 minutes ago, Jeff said:

If they find a way to enforce it, it's very good.

And there in lies the problem.  

5 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

that wasn’t what I meant. I meant now that he’s sorted the financial side for many, people could concentrate fully on trying to stay healthy. 

Get you now. 👍

manaliveits105
9 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

The chancellor’s announcements this week have saved my company that I’ve taken 14 years to build and 17 jobs. I’m absolutely delighted.

Spot on in same boat but only couple of staff so hopefully be able to struggle through now if this grant works out as it appears

heatonjambo
2 hours ago, Stokesy said:

Italy is having more than double the number of deaths that Iran is having despite having 20 million fewer people and a significantly better health service. I'd be amazed if we don't at least match Iran's current total.

As. Awful as the situation is there.

they have the most aged male population in the world and 85% of the deaths are those with three underlying conditions and old males.

the uk doesn’t have that population mix fortunately 

joondalupjambo
45 minutes ago, Cade said:

It's a business grant, not a loan.

Money goes from govt to the business who then use it to pay 80% wages.

The loan scheme is interest-free and has been extended to 12 months.

VAT deferred till the next quarter too.

All good news for business and hopefully will stop the unfair firings that have been going on for the last fortnight whilst the government faffed about.

Sorry was using the loan as an example of direct business assistance not in relation to employee help.  For employee help the business still has to apply for it don't they, it is not an automatic payment is it?

Of course some of the assistance on offer is good but only if the business wants to seek it for themselves and their employees.

My point is that not all employers will and we will only know the answers to that a way down the line I guess.

Edited by joondalupjambo

Just now, manaliveits105 said:

Spot on in same boat but only couple of staff so hopefully be able to struggle through now if this grant works out as it appears

I closed today, giving them 3 weeks wages for the month. Delighted I’ll be able to make it all up through grants and loans. 

Hope you’re business thrives after this horrible virus. 

Boris seems to be doing the job. As much as it doesn't matter right now, I do wonder where the money is coming from and what a financial state the country will be for the next ten years.

Guaranteed incomes is the right thing.   Thank god they eventually got there.    It should have been announced sooner and they ****ed about with the £330bn loan scheme first for some odd reason,   but the right measure is now in place.    Praise is certainly due.

12 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

****ing hell. We're doomed.

5 hours ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Stupid move, wait and see what comes from the chancellor today at least before acting.  

I hope everyone makes this hotel in(famous) and they don’t get bookings for next year. 

It's shocking and the wee guy throwing them off the premises like he's a ticket, well when folk who know him see it, I'm sure he'll regret it. 

All EU citizens. 

1 minute ago, jambopilms said:

Boris seems to be doing the job. As much as it doesn't matter right now, I do wonder where the money is coming from and what a financial state the country will be for the next ten years.

Even hundreds of billions is entirely recoverable over time.    This is an event demanding unusual sums of money and it doesn't matter if the recovery takes 30 years.    All things being well we'll have a reasonable society left in which to recover.

1 hour ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Is rishi sunak getting a push to be next prime minister? Seems to be just put forward to deliver good news. 

He knows how to communicate.

To emphasise key words to get the points across. Boris just drones on monotone with no impact.

People also say he has no enemies and no skeletons. Stepping up quite well. 

Francis Albert
13 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

You’re actually risking death. Many people have undiagnosed health conditions and don’t know their risk is heightened. 

We risk death every day. You have to quantify it. Very very few people with undiagnosed health conditions have been seriously ill or died. 

3000 Americans every month die in road accidents.

Shanks said no
2 minutes ago, kila said:

****ing hell. We're doomed.

I’ll bow out now

i have done 12 days straight as an essential service and Mrs F has done 9. 

I honestly am knackered and can’t be bothered.

see you all on the other side

Just now, Francis Albert said:

We risk death every day. You have to quantify it. Very very few people with undiagnosed health conditions have been seriously ill or died. 

3000 Americans every month die in road accidents.

Watch this FA. Whole point in not going out is to avoid overwhelming the NHS.

It isn't just about folk getting infected. It's folk having a road accident or something and also ending up in a stretched ICU ward. If those folk didn't have their accident because they didn't go out in the first place then that's more capacity in the NHS.

2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Even hundreds of billions is entirely recoverable over time.    This is an event demanding unusual sums of money and it doesn't matter if the recovery takes 30 years.    All things being well we'll have a reasonable society left in which to recover.

Absolutely.

Productivity improvements and the big return boost.

The main risk usually to big financial giveaways is inflation but that seems unlikely. 

Brighton Jambo
2 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

I’ll bow out now

i have done 12 days straight as an essential service and Mrs F has done 9. 

I honestly am knackered and can’t be bothered.

see you all on the other side

Stay safe and good luck 

Malinga the Swinga
2 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

He knows how to communicate.

To emphasise key words to get the points across. Boris just drones on monotone with no impact.

People also say he has no enemies and no skeletons. Stepping up quite well. 

Maybe, from now on, it would be good if all Chancellors were actually qualified to do the job. Previous incumbents have inherited job and been totally inadequate. This one actually seems to understand problem and be able to articulate a solution. 

Just now, Mikey1874 said:

Absolutely.

The main risk usually to big financial giveaways is inflation but that seems unlikely. 

Inflation more of a risk if they were issuing more currency but this will be funded by borrowing.    They won't risk printing money and devaluing the pound.    But they could in theory.

2 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Maybe, from now on, it would be good if all Chancellors were actually qualified to do the job. Previous incumbents have inherited job and been totally inadequate. This one actually seems to understand problem and be able to articulate a solution. 

Couldn’t agree more. He communicates on a level that hits home. 

Malinga the Swinga
4 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Absolutely.

If you are one of the people who is going to gain from this scheme, don't think you will give a **** about future risks. The here and now is all that matters.

24 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

And there in lies the problem.  

Surely there's an easy solution? Companies must provide audits of how the funds were spent

4 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Surely there's an easy solution? Companies must provide audits of how the funds were spent

Anyone abusing the system will be imprisoned imo. 

joondalupjambo
Just now, Jeff said:

Yep for sure that could be an option.  All time and hassle for some folk though depending on how big the business is and how much time the owner(s) have.  Hopefully in the case of applying for employees wage help it is an easy process and their is a massive take up.  

Malinga the Swinga
1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

Rightfully so. This is an unprecedented solution to an unprecedented problem. Any shyster who tries to take advantage of it should be publicly named, shamed and jailed.

41 minutes ago, graygo said:

You have no idea how anyone else interpreted it.

Who pissed on your cornflakes today old man?

The same one who has been pissing on them for the last umpteen years. Just posts to argue over and over again. Just leave him to it

3 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Exactly how it should be. Maybe we will hear more in the next few days

Malinga the Swinga

Be honest now, did anyone actually suspect that this government would announce this today. I thought they might have protected it to 50%  for some workers, but never anything to this scale.

Malinga the Swinga
Just now, vegas-voss said:

New Look offer 13,000 staff unpaid leave wtf is going on there they not watch the news.

Presume it was in pipeline before announcement. Could it be reversed? 

The scale will be enormous and the scale of the administration will be equally so.    They'll need to plan out how to deal with tens of thousands of applications.    

There is still a gap in the announcement.    It underpins incomes of people in companies who attempt to carry on in business.    It doesn't appear to cover those who worked for employers who fold and lay off workers.

Just now, Malinga the Swinga said:

Presume it was in pipeline before announcement. Could it be reversed? 

Don't know I just seen it just now it's in the tabloids.

Probably been mentioned but will this extend to football clubs, in particular Hearts?

It did say "any employers"

Edited by graygo

Jambo-Jimbo
2 hours ago, kila said:

Another 627 dead in Italy 😐 

Their total is now 4032...

Mortality rate is 8.6% so they just said on Sky News.

This is day 11 of the national lockdown and it's the worse day yet.

On day 12 China seen their totals begin to decrease.

As much as I'd like to see the same happen in Italy, I just can't see it.

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Coronavirus pandemic
  • davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic