Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

I do as well. There are not enough people heeding the social distancing guidelines and it’s still being spread on public transport and in work places. 

People will still need to go to work and use public transport in lockdown though?

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, hughesie27 said:

People will still need to go to work and use public transport in lockdown though?

Only essential workers. Everybody else will be at home. 

13 minutes ago, Sarah O said:

We need lockdown. 

I expect it to be announced in a day or so. 

We do.   It would be a great benefit to the delay.    It would come with untold economic consequences.    It's not beyond the realms of possibility given the incremental way the process has gone,   as well as the info regarding psychological advice having an input into the planning.     It will depend on three things.

1.   Is there a willingness to take the economic hit?

2.   Is there sufficient police and military capability to oversee it?

3.   Are the medical / scientific leaders being listened to and are they in turn listening to the inputs from below them?    Is the science a joined up,   focused entity?    Does the science have enough clout to lead,   not in soundbites,   but in reality?

6 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

This is what’s happening in Spain. All public places are shut. You are not allowed out unless it’s to carry out what’s listed below. We need to do the same here.

+++ UP TO 1,000 EUROS FINE IF SOMEONE IS IN YOUR CAR FOR NO REASON +++

As of midnight this last night the new amendment to Royal Decree RD 463/20, approved by the Government of Spain after the declaration of the state of alarm for the coronavirus pandemic, came into force. 
The penalty for breaking these rules can range from 300 - 1,000 euros. 

CASES IN WHICH YOU CAN USE YOUR CAR:
The use of your vehicle is governed by the Royal Decree that regulates the state of alarm. 
Specifically, in its article 7, on the “Limitation of the freedom of movement of people”. 

1. To purchase food, pharmaceuticals and basic necessities.
2. To attend health centers, services and establishments.
3. To travel to your workplace to carry out your work, professional or business provision.
4. To return to the place of his habitual residence.
5. To assist in caring for the elderly, minors, dependents, people with disabilities or especially vulnerable people.
6. To go to financial and insurance entities.
7. Due to force majeure or a situation of need (duly justified).
8. Any other activity of a similar nature that must be done individually, unless accompanied by people with disabilities or for other justified cause.

According to the Decree, you can use your car for any of the eight cases presented, but you can only do it "individually", unless you are with someone who really needs it.

Think on this:

Italy and Spain are both into four-figure death tolls and this is with their total lockdown laws in place.

How bad is the UK going to get over the next few weeks with our wish-washy please-stay-at-home-but-if-you-go-out-we-won't-do-anything approach?

3 minutes ago, Cade said:

Think on this:

Italy and Spain are both into four-figure death tolls and this is with their total lockdown laws in place.

How bad is the UK going to get over the next few weeks with our wish-washy please-stay-at-home-but-if-you-go-out-we-won't-do-anything approach?

Tourist and beauty spots around here, Malham Tarn ect, are absolutely heaving today, cars parked in like sardines and public toilets open. A lot of people don't seen to give a ****.

Edited by Dawnrazor

1 minute ago, Cade said:

Think on this:

It's not even just the deaths total.   It's equally about the overall numbers being hospitalised and the ones requiring ICU beds.   All that impacts on the infection rate on NHS staff.     

We need every bit of delay available to reduce the peak and buy time.

11 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

**** me things are not working in Italy another 793 have died today.

****ing hell.

Over 4500 dead in Italy now.

The Internet

Yeah I really wish there would be even a hint of improvement in Italy. Must be ****ing horrible for everyone over there

:(

Francis Albert
46 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Only essential workers. Everybody else will be at home. 

The Spanish decree as quoted above doesn't seem to say that unless it is covered elsewhere?

There is maybe a distinction to be made  between the laws being in place and the laws being complied with and enforced in Spain, Italy and elsewhere?

Jeez man that's brutal in Italy. Nearly 800 dead in a day is utterly crazy. 

How are they still getting infected despite the lockdown?

Edited by AlimOzturk

Just now, AlimOzturk said:

made worse by the way our news flows - within a second of that announcement it's the weather

10 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

The Spanish decree as quoted above doesn't seem to say that unless it is covered elsewhere?

There is maybe a distinction to be made  between the laws being in place and the laws being complied with and enforced in Spain, Italy and elsewhere?

Not sure tbh. Sure I read it was only essential workers during a lockdown but reading so much stuff I can’t remember where. 

Edited by GinRummy

10 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

How are they still getting infected despite the lockdown?

This is day 12 of the lockdown I think and it can take 5-14 days before symptoms become critical. And not enough beds so folk who come in now are ****ed.

Italy had the second oldest population in the world before this hit them. Sadly that is diminishing quickly, though of course some young folk are dying too.

14 minutes ago, Walter Bishop said:

We are on exact same path as Italy. 

233 Deaths at same stage. 

Screenshot_20200321-174221_Twitter.thumb.jpg.585c933690d98b81142cd4afa70deca4.jpg

13 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Another 53 deaths in England

😬

Fecks sake.

Again pretty much in line with Italy.

Edited by DETTY29

41 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Yeah I really wish there would be even a hint of improvement in Italy. Must be ****ing horrible for everyone over there

A 95 year old has caught it, been in hospital and recovered.

3 hours ago, milky_26 said:

to make those briefings better as they will know the majority of what is said they should have their questions submitted and then they can be went through quicker by who is on stage

See where you are coming from but that would be a dream for Trump and probably Johnson too.

Just now, DETTY29 said:

See where you are coming from but that would be a dream for Trump and probably Johnson too.

agree, that is why vic posted that just saying that has already been answered would work better

Malinga the Swinga

There looks to be big announcement about extra beds for NHS due to deal with private hospitals. Means quite a large increase in nursing staff and ventilators as well as the beds. 

This looks like a good thing, but I will wait and see as others on this thread appear to be experts in economy, health and government.

Also interesting to read article about the number of deaths with the caveat of how many of these people would have died, regardless of the Covid 19 outbreak. Very difficult to work out but there must have been some. Not being heartless, but increasing numbers make this important to examine.

2 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

There looks to be big announcement about extra beds for NHS due to deal with private hospitals. Means quite a large increase in nursing staff and ventilators as well as the beds. 

This looks like a good thing, but I will wait and see as others on this thread appear to be experts in economy, health and government.

Also interesting to read article about the number of deaths with the caveat of how many of these people would have died, regardless of the Covid 19 outbreak. Very difficult to work out but there must have been some. Not being heartless, but increasing numbers make this important to examine.

That would make very interesting reading for me.

I had never given this consideration before, but will now try to find the article you speak of.

41 minutes ago, Barack said:

Going to be no ****er left at that rate.

The worry is it's really going up the last 3 days so wouldn't be surprised to see it near the thousand tomorrow.****ing horrific

23 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

A 95 year old has caught it, been in hospital and recovered.

Got a link to this? Talk about bucking the trend. 

10 minutes ago, Morgan said:

That would make very interesting reading for me.

I had never given this consideration before, but will now try to find the article you speak of.

BBC had a bit covering that: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51979654

--

Would these people be dying anyway?

The figures for coronavirus are eye-watering. But what is not clear - because the modellers did not map this - is to what extent the deaths would have happened without coronavirus.

Of course, this will never truly be known until the pandemic is over, which is why modelling is very difficult and needs caveats.

But given that the old and frail are the most vulnerable, would these people be dying anyway?

Every year more than 500,000 people die in England and Wales: factor in Scotland and Northern Ireland, and the figure tops 600,000.

The coronavirus deaths will not be on top of this. Many would be within this "normal" number of expected deaths. In short, they would have died anyway.

It was a point conceded by Sir Patrick at a press conference on Thursday when he said there would be "some overlap" between coronavirus deaths and expected deaths - he just did not know how much of an overlap.

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

I can’t seem to paste just now but here’s a pic, there are others but the press isn’t really showing it.

E37A5F52-37AB-4B0A-A4A9-9152BE8DACBD.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

95 year old recovers in Italy: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/first-recovered-coronavirus-patient-italys-21728260

103 year old recovers from it in Wuhan: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/coronavirus-latest-103-year-old-woman-recovers-wuhan-hubei-china-a9393991.html

Nucky Thompson
1 hour ago, Sarah O said:

We need lockdown. 

I expect it to be announced in a day or so. 

We don't yet in Scotland and definitely not in a day or so. 

Greater London will be first to lockdown but it will take a lot for a Conservative government to do that.

If Corbyn was in charge we would have been confined to our houses 2 weeks ago with troops on the streets

France reports 112 more deaths

France has reported 112 more deaths from coronavirus, bringing the country's death toll to 562, according to the health ministry.

A 59 year old man from West Sussex has been arrested for selling fake treatment kits online.

American customs alerted UK authorities after packages were intercepted in the mail.

:getout:

1 minute ago, Cade said:

A 59 year old man from West Sussex has been arrested for selling fake treatment kits online.

American customs alerted UK authorities after packages were intercepted in the mail.

people like him should not get treatment if they catch it, let their natural immune system beat it for them

The fate of many people is in the hands of the stupids now. Today I heard that someone who used to be close to me, travelled by road and Ferry from Southen Spain, through France into the UK and all the way up to Edinburgh. They did this over the last three days, stopping overnight twice. There are many stupid people out their. It goes against all my Libertarian beliefs but sadly we should lock down now to protect from the stupids. 

Jambo-Jimbo
1 hour ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Next door neighbours sister lives in Tuscany, not good over there right now she was saying, she's worried sick about her sister & her family.

Montgomery Brewster
39 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

It is for England . Hopefully Scotland can do a deal as well 

3 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

The fate of many people is in the hands of the stupids now. Today I heard that someone who used to be close to me, travelled by road and Ferry from Southen Spain, through France into the UK and all the way up to Edinburgh. They did this over the last three days, stopping overnight twice. There are many stupid people out their. It goes against all my Libertarian beliefs but sadly we should lock down now to protect from the stupids. 

It's been like a bank holiday weekend around here today, ****in ridiculous 🤬

Jambo-Jimbo
9 minutes ago, Cade said:

Intercepted at Chicago O'Hare Airport I think, unless there's been another incident.

57 yr old man in England arrested for threatening to cough on people and he's not the only one, several other cases like this around the World.

WTF is wrong with people?

17 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

It's been like a bank holiday weekend around here today, ****in ridiculous 🤬

My daughter just told me her friends older brother and his pals hired a big apartment in town to have a weekend party now the pubs have shut. She’s been told she won’t be going near that friend for at least 14 days. I’m not sure whether the pals parents know what the brother is doing but I feel obligated to tell them, and if they do know then they’re as ****ing stupid as he is!

Jambo-Jimbo
2 hours ago, vegas-voss said:

**** me things are not working in Italy another 793 have died today.

And that's just the official figure of those who have died in hospital.

Were saying on Sky News that that figure doesn't include all of the deaths at home or in care homes, which if you added them into the equation the total deaths would be much much higher, the reporter also said that many people didn't go to hospital.

Italy is an absolute disaster zone right now.

A country which I absolutely love and have been to many times, it's heartbreaking what's happening over there now.

Nucky Thompson
23 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

Sounds like shite to me

43 minutes ago, kila said:

BBC had a bit covering that: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51979654

--

Would these people be dying anyway?

The figures for coronavirus are eye-watering. But what is not clear - because the modellers did not map this - is to what extent the deaths would have happened without coronavirus.

Of course, this will never truly be known until the pandemic is over, which is why modelling is very difficult and needs caveats.

But given that the old and frail are the most vulnerable, would these people be dying anyway?

Every year more than 500,000 people die in England and Wales: factor in Scotland and Northern Ireland, and the figure tops 600,000.

The coronavirus deaths will not be on top of this. Many would be within this "normal" number of expected deaths. In short, they would have died anyway.

It was a point conceded by Sir Patrick at a press conference on Thursday when he said there would be "some overlap" between coronavirus deaths and expected deaths - he just did not know how much of an overlap.

Thanks, Kila 👍

You may remember the exchange we had the other night, regarding my nephew?  Turns out, as he was considered to be in the ‘at risk’ category, Sainsbury’s have given him 12 weeks off, on full pay.  So, nothing dodgy as we had originally feared.

Francis Albert
44 minutes ago, kila said:

Not all old people who catch it die. Almost all who do have underlying conditions so the fact that few of great age survive isn't really surprising. 

Just now, Rudy T said:

My daughter just told me her friends older brother and his pals hired a big apartment in town to have a weekend party now the pubs have shut. She’s been told she won’t be going near that friend for at least 14 days. I’m not sure whether the pals parents know what the brother is doing but I feel obligated to tell them, and if they do know then they’re as ****ing stupid as he is!

It's not just teenagers though mate, there's been families walking around Hawes and Ingleton near me today like **** all is going on, it's been absolutely rammed. How the **** can adults think a day out in the country walking about tourist spot and villages think thats ok? 

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Coronavirus pandemic
  • davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic