Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

22 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Human resources.  

They don't have enough people to staff the hospitals plus the Nightingales to much degree.  

Not enough staff at a time when many thousands are losing their jobs, must be a solution in there somewhere. 🥴

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, graygo said:

Not enough staff at a time when many thousands are losing their jobs, must be a solution in there somewhere. 🥴

Indeed.  But not a very quick one.  

40 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Human resources.  

They don't have enough people to staff the hospitals plus the Nightingales to much degree.  

That is also true for bed capacity, you can have a capcity of 500,000 beds but if you only have enough staff to staff 250,000, well..........

19 minutes ago, graygo said:

As Vic says no quick fix, takes years to train doctors & nurses.

Just now, Jambo-Jimbo said:

That is also true for bed capacity, you can have a capcity of 500,000 beds but if you only have enough staff to staff 250,000, well..........

It's where the Mister Magoos are falling flat on their faces.  Concentrating on bed occupancy and capacity doesn't provide the full picture.  Duration of bed occupancy has also become longer.  There's also a regional / geographic variance regarding capacity,  staffing,  virus prevalence,  population profile,  etc.  

1 hour ago, Victorian said:

Human resources.  

Why did they open the nightingales in the first place if they didn’t have staff to man them? 

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
5 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Why did they open the nightingales in the first place if they didn’t have staff to man them? 

:lol:

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
10 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I’ve made a **** of myself again haven’t I 😏😂

not that I’m aware of - thought it was a blindingly obvious and relevant question to ask surprisingly not yet covered by the poster calling all and sundry mr Magoo (which to be fair is a humorous term)

:)

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, graygo said:

If only it was that easy. 

E8CD806B-5F7F-4DB3-AE40-795846D89B89.jpeg

1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

As Vic says no quick fix, takes years to train doctors & nurses.

Not every member of staff needs to be a doctor or nurse. I doubt it would take years to train up someone to only deal with Covid patients.

8 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

If only it was that easy. 

E8CD806B-5F7F-4DB3-AE40-795846D89B89.jpeg

Wow. Is that the standard set up for caring for a Covid patient? That's a lot of buttons needing pressed.

4 minutes ago, graygo said:

Wow. Is that the standard set up for caring for a Covid patient? That's a lot of buttons needing pressed.

Perhaps a suitable job for several JKB posters then? ;)

Pasquale for King
7 minutes ago, graygo said:

Couldn’t tell you I just saw it and thought I would post it, I believe nurses are well under paid and it takes a while to learn the job. Would you want a heartless ******* like me with my Shipman-Legend T-shirt on looking after you if you were in a Covid Ward?

1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

Couldn’t tell you I just saw it and thought I would post it, I believe nurses are well under paid and it takes a while to learn the job. Would you want a heartless ******* like me with my Shipman-Legend T-shirt on looking after you if you were in a Covid Ward?

😂

I agree, nurses are marvellous. I had a long stay in hospital 12 years ago and they made it bearable. Can’t speak highly enough of them. 

Just now, Pasquale for King said:

I'm not knocking nurses and I agree they are underpaid and it takes a while to learn the job.

However, there are many skilled professions that take years of training that also have "fast track" alternatives that concentrate on a much narrower field. I've seen 6 month plumbing courses, Kwik Fit fitters are not always fully trained mechanics. What I am suggesting is a core of fully trained doctors and nurses supplemented with "fast tracked" staff who can do specific tasks. Unskilled labour which is a step or two below an auxiliary nurse.

As for your last point, if I was a Covid patient your appearance would be the least of my concerns.

Boris walking out of the house when Theresa May started speaking ,making valid points about the new lockdown tomorrow  . Says everything about him ! Trash 

2 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Boris walking out of the house when Theresa May started speaking ,making valid points about the new lockdown tomorrow  . Says everything about him ! Trash 

Saw that earlier and though what an ignorant twat he is.

Liked the SNP guy who said it was standard practice for Boris to leave when it was them speaking but it was surprising that he couldn't spare 4 minutes to listen to his predecessor.

I believe he has apologised.

Edited by graygo

2 hours ago, jonesy said:

He should have gone into a supermarket without a mask on. According to some he'd have caught Covid within seconds, and they could have done the knee for him while he was in.

🤣

4 hours ago, doctor jambo said:

Quite simply all Covid patients should be in the giant Covid barn in Glasgow 

Transporting them would be fun each time someone tests positive in hospital. Presume you mean all of Scotland, so numerous helicopters from the north? Then there is the issue of staffing the 'giant Covid barn', which is an existing problem anyway.

I think we need to build more hospitals in general and hire more doctors and nurses (instead of deporting them). That way if there is an outbreak of something again in the future, we have existing infrastructure to support demand. Doctors and nurses could work shorter shifts if there were more of them. Then longer shifts (like right now) could come into force during a pandemic. Fund it by taxing Amazon, Apple etc.

Pasquale for King
10 minutes ago, graygo said:

I'm not knocking nurses and I agree they are underpaid and it takes a while to learn the job.

However, there are many skilled professions that take years of training that also have "fast track" alternatives that concentrate on a much narrower field. I've seen 6 month plumbing courses, Kwik Fit fitters are not always fully trained mechanics. What I am suggesting is a core of fully trained doctors and nurses supplemented with "fast tracked" staff who can do specific tasks. Unskilled labour which is a step or two below an auxiliary nurse.

As for your last point, if I was a Covid patient your appearance would be the least of my concerns.

Yes some jobs can be fast tracked but not when it’s life and death I’m afraid, that’s if folk would want to do it in the first place. I think junior doctors and just trained nurses have been thrown in the deep end, and of course retired staff lending a hand out a sense of duty. Hopefully no dentists though or this thread would go even more downhill. 

4 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Yes some jobs can be fast tracked but not when it’s life and death I’m afraid, that’s if folk would want to do it in the first place. I think junior doctors and just trained nurses have been thrown in the deep end, and of course retired staff lending a hand out a sense of duty. Hopefully no dentists though or this thread would go even more downhill. 

Not every task in a hospital ward is life or death, those things are covered by nurses and doctors. For instance, temperature taking and recording, handing out medicines, cleaning, these are not things that require years of training.

Weakened Offender
52 minutes ago, graygo said:

Not every member of staff needs to be a doctor or nurse. I doubt it would take years to train up someone to only deal with Covid patients.

Nurse! 

1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

They had to build the capacity first and foremost.  They had less staff sick leave at that point plus a good few people came out of retirement or rejoined.  If the Nightingales had been used to more capacity they would have begun to use medics from the forces.  The first thing was to create the places to house people.  

1 hour ago, graygo said:

🤣

13 minutes ago, Victorian said:

🤣

He is right though. A respiratory consultant and many of the specialities that are twiddling their thumbs would do it !

1 hour ago, graygo said:

And to do what exactly?

25 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

And to do what exactly?

I've already given examples above, your wife works in a hospital I believe, ask her if her job would be easier if someone did all the unskilled tasks she does during a shift and left her to do the skilled jobs that took years of training. Maybe easier is the wrong word, more productive might be better.

4 minutes ago, graygo said:

I've already given examples above, your wife works in a hospital I believe, ask her if her job would be easier if someone did all the unskilled tasks she does during a shift and left her to do the skilled jobs that took years of training. Maybe easier is the wrong word, more productive might be better.

There is already, they are called Nursing Assistants or Auxiliary Nurses and carry out a lot of the examples you already gave, but I would argue far from being unskilled they are skilled, just not to the same level as nurses are.

32 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

There is already, they are called Nursing Assistants or Auxiliary Nurses and carry out a lot of the examples you already gave, but I would argue far from being unskilled they are skilled, just not to the same level as nurses are.

I don't mind folk disagreeing with me but at least read the thread before trying to correct me.

2 hours ago, graygo said:

Pasquale for King
3 hours ago, graygo said:

Not every task in a hospital ward is life or death, those things are covered by nurses and doctors. For instance, temperature taking and recording, handing out medicines, cleaning, these are not things that require years of training.

I think handing out medicine is a task done by folk that have years of training too I’m afraid, they’re called Chemists. 

429401AB-2675-4D4C-BCF6-6BE9965EA2CC.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I think handing out medicine is a task done by folk that have years of training too I’m afraid, they’re called Chemists. 

429401AB-2675-4D4C-BCF6-6BE9965EA2CC.jpeg

Aye the Chemist runs round the wards handing out the medicines right enough.

ps. I think you mean a pharmacist rather than a chemist which is a different thing.

Pasquale for King
Just now, graygo said:

Aye the Chemist runs round the wards handing out the medicines right enough.

ps. I think you mean a pharmacist rather than a chemist which is a different thing.

Yes it is, similar qualifications. 
I think it’s still part of the nurses job to hand out medicine in the correct amounts, not just someone you take off the dole queue I’m afraid. 
I think you dug a big enough hole here for yourself. 

8D2969CA-F881-42E8-B1F9-ECFCE8B0DDC6.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Yes it is, similar qualifications. 
I think it’s still part of the nurses job to hand out medicine in the correct amounts, not just someone you take off the dole queue I’m afraid. 
I think you dug a big enough hole here for yourself. 

8D2969CA-F881-42E8-B1F9-ECFCE8B0DDC6.jpeg

Glad you can admit when you're wrong even if it is just sometimes.

Yes a nurse (possibly an auxiliary) hands out medicines on a ward (not a chemist or a pharmacist), my point is that it doesn't need to be someone who has had years of training that does this just because they do, that's ridiculous to be honest. In a hospital setting a pharmacist will dispense medicines to a ward and it's the pharmacist who as you have pointed out does all the necessary training, handing that medicine to a patient is not a skill. In fact it is the sort of thing you could just take someone off the dole queue and they could do it.

Dennis Reynolds

There was a massive influx of volunteers that done all the pissy jobs in hospitals at the start of the pandemic and many of them still do.

Due to regulations and rules though roles and jobs are very strictly prohibited without proper training.

You can't just give someone a handful of pills and tell them to take them to Doris in ward 9. Things like taking meals to people, cleaning, filing blah blah blah have all been supplemented by volunteers. Theres no money to pay for extra staff to do these jobs though. Theres barely enough to pay the nurses themselves. 

2 minutes ago, LMc said:

There was a massive influx of volunteers that done all the pissy jobs in hospitals at the start of the pandemic and many of them still do.

Due to regulations and rules though roles and jobs are very strictly prohibited without proper training.

You can't just give someone a handful of pills and tell them to take them to Doris in ward 9. Things like taking meals to people, cleaning, filing blah blah blah have all been supplemented by volunteers. Theres no money to pay for extra staff to do these jobs though. Theres barely enough to pay the nurses themselves. 

Saying there is no money doesn't cut it just now, money can be found. The government have found billions of pounds that wasn't there before.

Thanks for backing me up about people doing the menial tasks without years of training to ease the workload on the nurses.

I take your point about the rules etc but we are in a pandemic situation and if the choice is neglecting all non-covid illnesses or changing those rules then I know what I would vote for.

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, graygo said:

Glad you can admit when you're wrong even if it is just sometimes.

Yes a nurse (possibly an auxiliary) hands out medicines on a ward (not a chemist or a pharmacist), my point is that it doesn't need to be someone who has had years of training that does this just because they do, that's ridiculous to be honest. In a hospital setting a pharmacist will dispense medicines to a ward and it's the pharmacist who as you have pointed out does all the necessary training, handing that medicine to a patient is not a skill. In fact it is the sort of thing you could just take someone off the dole queue and they could do it.

I always admit I’m wrong, you should try it sometime considering how much it happens. 
Yeah anyone off the dole can be placed in charge of the drugs cabinet, have you ever heard of the unfortunate cases where the wrong dose is given to a patient? 
https://academic.oup.com/qjmed/article/102/8/513/1598923

Get in touch with Matt Hancock, he might go for it. Probably give you a multimillion pound contract. 

Pasquale for King
10 minutes ago, LMc said:

Well said. 

Dennis Reynolds
3 minutes ago, graygo said:

Saying there is no money doesn't cut it just now, money can be found. The government have found billions of pounds that wasn't there before.

Thanks for backing me up about people doing the menial tasks without years of training to ease the workload on the nurses.

I take your point about the rules etc but we are in a pandemic situation and if the choice is neglecting all non-covid illnesses or changing those rules then I know what I would vote for.

The government couldn't find a few million to pay for school meals and have watched (and commended) as the UK public stepped in to fill these gaps in hospitals and care homes. They ain't finding any money for this.

The rules won't be changed because if something goes wrong, the hospital gets sued. Sadly that's the world we live in nowadays and it's an ever increasing situation. If the mistake is made by someone who hasn't had the correct training then the hospital doesn't have a leg to stand on. 

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, LMc said:

The government couldn't find a few million to pay for school meals and have watched (and commended) as the UK public stepped in to fill these gaps in hospitals and care homes. They ain't finding any money for this.

The rules won't be changed because if something goes wrong, the hospital gets sued. Sadly that's the world we live in nowadays and it's an ever increasing situation. If the mistake is made by someone who hasn't had the correct training then the hospital doesn't have a leg to stand on. 

Good point. 

4 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I always admit I’m wrong, you should try it sometime considering how much it happens. 
Yeah anyone off the dole can be placed in charge of the drugs cabinet, have you ever heard of the unfortunate cases where the wrong dose is given to a patient? 
https://academic.oup.com/qjmed/article/102/8/513/1598923

Get in touch with Matt Hancock, he might go for it. Probably give you a multimillion pound contract. 

I said "someone off the dole queue" not "anyone off the dole queue", there is a difference although seeing as you class a chemist as being the same as a pharmacist I shouldn't be surprised that you can't see that.

Did you even bother to read that link or were you in such a rush to shut me down that you didn't bother other than skim reading it? Did you miss the fact that the errors were mainly in prescribing and dispensing, the very things done by the people with the university degrees you proclaimed earlier not the people actually handing the medicines to the patients 

You should get in touch with Matt Hancock, he carries on an argument even when it's obvious he's talking shite, might have a job for you.

Thanks for taking this down the route of a personal slanging match, lightened up a pretty boring day.

15 minutes ago, LMc said:

The government not finding a few million for school meals was a political decision not because they couldn't find it, do you want a list of some of the billions they have found during the pandemic? They could find the money if they wanted to, compare now to the banking crisis for proof of that.

As for your last point, Pasquale has already pointed out that mistakes in medication are made in hospitals, guess what? They were made by people with the correct training.

Dennis Reynolds
43 minutes ago, graygo said:

The government not finding a few million for school meals was a political decision not because they couldn't find it, do you want a list of some of the billions they have found during the pandemic? They could find the money if they wanted to, compare now to the banking crisis for proof of that.

As for your last point, Pasquale has already pointed out that mistakes in medication are made in hospitals, guess what? They were made by people with the correct training.

Then where is the funding for the staff required? You seem to think they're just going to turn round and say, yep ok here's the £10 billion you need. The NHS and hospitals have been chronically underfunded for years but all of a sudden they're going to shell out for minimum wage staff to help clean wards? What planet are you living on? How can you not see how stupid that sounds? They don't want to spend the money. If they did, they wouldn't have run a campaign to get people to volunteer in the first place. The fact that hospitals up and down the country require volunteers to take meals to people or even just to keep them company for 10 mins should tell you exactly where the government's priority is with funding.

Right. So trained individuals make mistakes. I know! Let's pluck someone out the dole queue. That'll solve our problems straight away. There's absolutely no way that can go wrong.

"Here, take this codeine to Doris. I know you've not had any training and can't actually tell if it is what I say it is, but don't worry. What happens if she has a bad allergic reaction or just flat refuses to take it? Not my problem sunshine, this is your job now."

That's not how hospitals work. It's not like casualty. 

Your either being deliberately obtuse or just down right ignorant and it's quite offensive. Thousands of staff overworked and underpaid and you think they can just pull someone out a dole queue to fill in with jobs that require months, if not years of training. 'A step or two below an auxiliary nurse' as you mentioned earlier would essentially be a cleaner/porter. Not only that, you think the government is going to fund all these extra staff. Good one. 

Pasquale for King
54 minutes ago, graygo said:

I said "someone off the dole queue" not "anyone off the dole queue", there is a difference although seeing as you class a chemist as being the same as a pharmacist I shouldn't be surprised that you can't see that.

Did you even bother to read that link or were you in such a rush to shut me down that you didn't bother other than skim reading it? Did you miss the fact that the errors were mainly in prescribing and dispensing, the very things done by the people with the university degrees you proclaimed earlier not the people actually handing the medicines to the patients 

You should get in touch with Matt Hancock, he carries on an argument even when it's obvious he's talking shite, might have a job for you.

Thanks for taking this down the route of a personal slanging match, lightened up a pretty boring day.

The point is mistakes are made by qualified people, yet you want someone without any idea what these drugs with extremely complicated names and variations to be handing them out. That’s one article, there are many more detailing those handing them out making the mistakes. 
You’ve been told it can’t legally happen, have you admitted your frankly crazy idea is wrong?

Pharmacist/Chemist huge difference right enough, you ignored they have the same qualifications it would seem.  I’m glad that I made that slight mistake to give you something to cling to. 
You sound like that ***** Trump, you’ve made an arse of yourself but can’t admit it. 

Pasquale for King
9 minutes ago, LMc said:

Then where is the funding for the staff required? You seem to think they're just going to turn round and say, yep ok here's the £10 billion you need. The NHS and hospitals have been chronically underfunded for years but all of a sudden they're going to shell out for minimum wage staff to help clean wards? What planet are you living on? How can you not see how stupid that sounds? They don't want to spend the money. If they did, they wouldn't have run a campaign to get people to volunteer in the first place. The fact that hospitals up and down the country require volunteers to take meals to people or even just to keep them company for 10 mins should tell you exactly where the government's priority is with funding.

Right. So trained individuals make mistakes. I know! Let's pluck someone out the dole queue. That'll solve our problems straight away. There's absolutely no way that can go wrong.

"Here, take this codeine to Doris. I know you've not had any training and can't actually tell if it is what I say it is, but don't worry. What happens if she has a bad allergic reaction or just flat refuses to take it? Not my problem sunshine, this is your job now."

Your either being deliberately obtuse or just down right ignorant and it's quite offensive. Thousands of staff overworked and underpaid and you think they can just pull someone out a dole queue to fill in with jobs that require months, if not years of training. 'A step or two below an auxiliary nurse' as you mentioned earlier would essentially be a cleaner/porter. Not only that, you think the government is going to fund all these extra staff. Good one. 

Spot on again 👍🏽

7 minutes ago, LMc said:

I'll tell you what's offensive, in fact no, it's just plain ignorant.

Going off on a big rant like you just did, laced with a few personal insults and all because you refuse to acknowledge the point I made - "They could find the money if they wanted to"

In fact you did acknowledge it by saying "They don't want to spend the money" that is quite different from saying they can't find the money. You even state that it's not a government priority, well how about arguing that it bloody well should be?

And yes, if it takes months to train someone to do the jobs "a step or two below an auxiliary nurse" (is an auxiliary really only a step or two above a cleaner? - your words) and that eases the pressure on them then why not? Please don't say because that's not how hospitals work, that's not the point.

For the record, this pandemic has so far cost the government less than half what the banking crisis cost them and you think they can't afford free school meals for a week? :rofl:

21 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

The point is mistakes are made by qualified people, yet you want someone without any idea what these drugs with extremely complicated names and variations to be handing them out. That’s one article, there are many more detailing those handing them out making the mistakes. 
You’ve been told it can’t legally happen, have you admitted your frankly crazy idea is wrong?

Pharmacist/Chemist huge difference right enough, you ignored they have the same qualifications it would seem.  I’m glad that I made that slight mistake to give you something to cling to. 
You sound like that ***** Trump, you’ve made an arse of yourself but can’t admit it. 

Christ Almighty, a chemist and a pharmacist are not the same thing, you admitted as much earlier. Now you're trying to make out they are almost the same thing, they're not. Not even close unless a brickie and an architect are similar.

I'll repeat myself seeing as it didn't get through the last time, the mistakes you highlighted were in the prescribing and the dispensing of the medicines. Prescribing by doctors and dispensing by pharmacists, they were not made by "trained nurses" who could decipher the labels.

A nurse doesn't go into a cupboard for Doris's Remdesivir, she gets it from a pharmacist who makes up the prescription following a doctor's instructions. The nurse then gives that medicine to Doris, I still maintain that a layman could fulfill that task with basic training to help ease the pressure on the NHS.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic