Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

A Boy Named Crow
55 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

Should’ve shut the bloody borders at the start of this . Too late now .

As an island,  Britain is so well placed to just pull up the drawbridge, only let people in after they've been trough two weeks of quarantine (in policed hotels,  none of this trusting folk to isolate at home pish)and a negative test.  Meanwhile, you have a short, sharp lockdown and large scale testing of the population. That would have you in a situation where you could live in an open,  happy, prosperous society. 

Seems not though, I dunno.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, spirt of 98 said:

Aye cause every other Government in Europe and further a field is doing amazing. 

Governments just doing their best in the face of the unknown trying to protect lives and balance the economy. It’s not easy. 

I am a realist the real people to blame are the human race who are selfish to the core. The folk going about their lives like there last no virus.

What about pulling together as a nation and defeating the virus. But naw all I hear is I need a pint, I need a holiday, this is effecting my mental health. Tell that to the 40,000 ish dead across the uk. Tell it to the folk current in the ICU. 

Honestly I am done with cants like you greetin all the time. Me me me boo hoo. Dry yer eyes.

More deflection.

Do you think the SG has done a great job here or actually has been a complete shambles?  I am not interested in what other countries do - we are discussing the SG.

This Tiered system is a joke and is political meddling at its worst costing jobs, damaging the economy, and affecting people's mental health when the data doesn't justify the restrictions - notably in Edinburgh City.

Why is Edinburgh treated differently from Fife?

6 minutes ago, frankblack said:

More whatabootery from you.

The SG are a complete shitshow and all over the place, choosing to make lockdown decisions based on political motives rather than the data.  People are not going to pay attention to a discredited government.

Can you explain the political motives regarding lockdown ? 

People like you are looking for an excuse not to comply. 

As for discredited government then that could apply to the vast majority of governments as far as Covid is concerned. Dealing with this virus has baffled everyone imo. 

1 hour ago, 3fingersreid said:

Cheers

kids, grandkids and great grandkids and beyond , if our offspring can actually afford to have children 

Should’ve shut the bloody borders at the start of this . Too late now .

It is too late now, it was too late a long time ago. Once the virus was here and circulating it was too late. Yet people still shout for us to close the borders.

11 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Couldn't help it mate. 

Dragging up a post from February ffs. 

If I had the time and desire I could drag up hundreds of well meaning optimistic posts that we've all made. Nobody thought this was going to drag on like this back then. 

I had paid the final installment on my holiday and travel experts were assuring us all would be well for holidays. 

Imagine if we dragged up all the optimistic posts from the start of the 2018/19 season when we won our first

half dozen matches 😂😂😂

We're fecked without optimists Dug!  👍

Edited by OBE

47 minutes ago, Darren said:

He was bad enough on Balls of Steel.

I noticed yesterday that Scotland had trickled over 60,000 positive tests for coronavirus. Seems like a big number, doesn't it?

That's 0.01% of Scotland's population. In seven months.

What school did you go to?

This is not a religious question.

7 minutes ago, frankblack said:

More deflection.

Do you think the SG has done a great job here or actually has been a complete shambles?  I am not interested in what other countries do - we are discussing the SG.

This Tiered system is a joke and is political meddling at its worst costing jobs, damaging the economy, and affecting people's mental health when the data doesn't justify the restrictions - notably in Edinburgh City.

I am sure they are doing the best they can whilst balancing the economy and compliance of the public. It’s a fine line. The public have proved the will no longer comply. 

It obvious the only real answer to lower the infections is lockdown. Government know that this will be about as welcome as a fart in a space suit. 

I am not saying they are doing everything right but it’s one of they ones where your dammed if you do dammed if you don’t. 

I presume that the different tiers relate to infection rates in the different areas and Fife must be lower than the Lothians. 

Constantly complaining is not helping all its doing is mobilising more dissent and less compliance meaning virus is winning. 

Stupidity and ignorance will be what historian point to when they review the pandemic. We have access to all the information but people still choose to risk spreading this unnecessarily. 

Edited by spirt of 98

14 minutes ago, spirt of 98 said:

Aye cause every other Government in Europe and further a field is doing amazing. 

Governments just doing their best in the face of the unknown trying to protect lives and balance the economy. It’s not easy. 

I am a realist the real people to blame are the human race who are selfish to the core. The folk going about their lives like there’s no virus.

What about pulling together as a nation and defeating the virus. But naw all I hear is I need a pint, I need a holiday, this is effecting my mental health. Tell that to the 40,000 ish dead across the uk. Tell it to the folk currently in the ICU. 

Honestly I am done with cants like you greetin all the time. Me me me boo hoo. Dry yer eyes.

What a brilliant post 👍

Get them telt. 

Selfish cants they sure are. 👏

10 minutes ago, graygo said:

It is too late now, it was too late a long time ago. Once the virus was here and circulating it was too late. Yet people still shout for us to close the borders.

Rubbish. It's never too late to take measures to control the virus.

8 minutes ago, luckydug said:

As for discredited government then that could apply to the vast majority of governments as far as Covid is concerned. Dealing with this virus has baffled everyone imo. 

Its quite simple - the data should be driving the lockdown regulations not political meddling.

As for looking for excuses not to comply you are at it.  I complied fully up to a point but the problem is not those that are complying it is the unwillingness of the SG to enforce regulations in areas such as public transport and indoor areas such as supermarkets.  Then there is the matter of enforcing self-isolation and quarantine - absolutely no checks to see if people are staying at home.

You can't have effective rules if 50% of the people can ignore them without consequence.  The SG have royally ****ed up by continually penalising everyone rather than deal with those who won't comply.

Governor Tarkin

Anyone mind when the SG kept shush about the outbreak at the Nike conference in Edinburgh right at the very start of this shitshow?

Their litany of incompetence begins there, unless there's anything else they've covered up that we don't know about. 

As an aside, Naga looks fantastic in lincoln green on BBC breakfast this morning. :wub:

OIP.BbUvuQr-qEUTzJUY44D1aAAAAA?w=119&h=1

1 hour ago, jack D and coke said:

My local...been shut over a fecking year now. Was meant to be early November but don’t see them pushing for that when they’ll get jerked around opening and shutting tbh. 
£1.7m Doyle has spent on it altogether apparently. Place has been proper gutted. 

Kevin Doyle? Never realised he owned it. So did he buy it then immediately shut it? 

Just now, Governor Tarkin said:

Anyone mind when the SG kept shush about the outbreak at the Nike conference in Edinburgh right at the very start of this shitshow?

Their litany of incompetence begins there, unless there's anything else they've covered up that we don't know about. 

As an aside, Naga looks fantastic in lincoln green on BBC breakfast this morning. :wub:

OIP.BbUvuQr-qEUTzJUY44D1aAAAAA?w=119&h=1

She has a certain something, that Naga Munchetty.

You haven't explained what you believe to be political about the SG approach. 

I agree about the lack of consequences for non compliance. 

We just played at lockdown. 

Governor Tarkin
22 minutes ago, spirt of 98 said:

But naw all I hear is I need a pint, I need a holiday, this is effecting my mental health. Tell that to the 40,000 ish dead across the uk.

I don't think they'd hear you, and in any case they're in no position to open the pubs. 

3 minutes ago, luckydug said:

You haven't explained what you believe to be political about the SG approach. 

I agree about the lack of consequences for non compliance. 

We just played at lockdown. 

I made it crystal clear that the SG's lockdown tiers have political discression at every level so they take the data and add some subjective weighting and thus places such as Edinburgh can never get out of Tier 3.

jack D and coke
5 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Kevin Doyle? Never realised he owned it. So did he buy it then immediately shut it? 

He’s had it for years mate. I think he might even have bought it off the Carlisle’s if I remember right. Had it a long time anyway. 

5 minutes ago, graygo said:

What school did you go to?

This is not a religious question.

One where I should know it's 1.11% rather than 0.11%!  That'll teach me not to try to do such things early in the morning.

This compares to one in 10 people having "suicidal thoughts" after six weeks of the initial lockdown, according to a University of Glasgow-led study, as referenced in this article: https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/18812638.coronavirus-one-10-suicidal-thoughts/

The point I was getting at, despite my shoddy arithmetic, is that it is a relatively small proportion of the population compared to the impact lockdown is having on a far greater share.

I understand completely that mitigations have to be in place but stopping people from seeing family and friends almost entirely is dangerous.

There needs to be a compromise and I think allowing people to meet in hospitality venues, in as secure a way as possible, is the way to do this. 

3 minutes ago, spirt of 98 said:

I am sure they are doing the best they can whilst balancing the economy and compliance of the public. It’s a fine line. The public have proved the will no longer comply. 

It obvious the only real answer to lower the infections is lockdown. Government know that this will be about as welcome as a fart in a space suit. 

I am not saying they are doing everything right but it’s one of they ones where your dammed if you do dammed if you don’t. 

I presume that the different tiers relate to infection rates in the different areas and Fife must be lower than the Lothians. 

Constantly complaining is not helping all its doing is mobilising more dissent and less compliance meaning virus is winning. 

Stupidity and ignorance will be what historian point to when they review the pandemic. We have access to all the information but people still choose to risk spreading this unnecessarily. 

It's a lot more nuanced than just saying shut down entirely, as I alluded to above.

You can't absolve governments and just blame people for being stupid, either. Some of the decisions taken at ministerial level at Holyrood and Westminster have contributed to the death toll and caseload far more than some people breaking the rules.

It wasn't Dave who's having his pals round for the football who thought it was a good idea to chuck a load of elderly patients who had treated positive for the disease into care homes. I say this as someone who is following the rules and doesn't agree with people having house gatherings.

It wasn't stupid or ignorant members of the public who thought it would be a good idea to send tens of thousands of students across the country and into halls of residence. While individuals should take responsibility for their own actions, it was a situation that was easily avoidable.

Prior to the most recent restrictions being enforced, I was checked over more thoroughly entering my local pub than I was travelling to and from Belfast. Why wasn't I given, at the very least, a temperature check at the airport? The pub managed it. How costly would that be to implement as a precaution? 

1 minute ago, jack D and coke said:

He’s had it for years mate. I think he might even have bought it off the Carlisle’s if I remember right. Had it a long time anyway. 

Never realised that. Obviously never knew who owned it but quite surprised the beer wasn't super expensive  

1 minute ago, Darren said:

One where I should know it's 1.11% rather than 0.11%!  That'll teach me not to try to do such things early in the morning.

This compares to one in 10 people having "suicidal thoughts" after six weeks of the initial lockdown, according to a University of Glasgow-led study, as referenced in this article: https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/18812638.coronavirus-one-10-suicidal-thoughts/

The point I was getting at, despite my shoddy arithmetic, is that it is a relatively small proportion of the population compared to the impact lockdown is having on a far greater share.

I understand completely that mitigations have to be in place but stopping people from seeing family and friends almost entirely is dangerous.

There needs to be a compromise and I think allowing people to meet in hospitality venues, in as secure a way as possible, is the way to do this. 

It's a lot more nuanced than just saying shut down entirely, as I alluded to above.

You can't absolve governments and just blame people for being stupid, either. Some of the decisions taken at ministerial level at Holyrood and Westminster have contributed to the death toll and caseload far more than some people breaking the rules.

It wasn't Dave who's having his pals round for the football who thought it was a good idea to chuck a load of elderly patients who had treated positive for the disease into care homes. I say this as someone who is following the rules and doesn't agree with people having house gatherings.

It wasn't stupid or ignorant members of the public who thought it would be a good idea to send tens of thousands of students across the country and into halls of residence. While individuals should take responsibility for their own actions, it was a situation that was easily avoidable.

Prior to the most recent restrictions being enforced, I was checked over more thoroughly entering my local pub than I was travelling to and from Belfast. Why wasn't I given, at the very least, a temperature check at the airport? The pub managed it. How costly would that be to implement as a precaution? 

:spoton:

30 minutes ago, frankblack said:

More deflection.

In order to see how well Scotland is doing you have to look for comparisons. Around the rest of the UK and Europe is the obvious place to start.

Met a person who has had it for the first time today. Makes it feel a little more real.

I meet a relatively high amount of new people through work and hadn't spoken to anyone up until now who had had  it.

jack D and coke
5 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Never realised that. Obviously never knew who owned it but quite surprised the beer wasn't super expensive  

It’s creeped up last few years and I’d imagine it’ll be average fiver a pint when it opens again. It was fiver for a Peroni before they closed. 

3 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Met a person who has had it for the first time today. Makes it feel a little more real.

I meet a relatively high amount of new people through work and hadn't spoken to anyone up until now who had had  it.

Other than a fella at my work who had it very early days into the first wave I knew no one.

Already near double figures for the '2nd wave' though

33 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Can you explain the scientific motives? Not trying to have a pop at you on this but the last data I read had a really low infection rate caused by hospitality sector yet they are getting hammered.

10 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

In order to see how well Scotland is doing you have to look for comparisons. Around the rest of the UK and Europe is the obvious place to start.

That isn't the point - it is about whether the SG is doing a good job or has lost the plot and is abusing its powers.

manaliveits105

The FM when appointed refusing to live in Bute House the FM residence but travel back and forward to the weeg goes a long way to explain why the Capital and seat of parliament wont be allowed to be in a better tier than weegieland.

Imagine the British PM refusing to move into Downing St or US President the White House - amateur hour here.

Of course maybe she just didnt want to sleep in Alex's bed 

42 minutes ago, spirt of 98 said:

I am a realist the real people to blame are the human race who are selfish to the core. The folk going about their lives like there’s no virus.

What about pulling together as a nation and defeating the virus. But naw all I hear is I need a pint, I need a holiday, this is effecting my mental health. Tell that to the 40,000 ish dead across the uk. Tell it to the folk currently in the ICU. 

I dont think mental health issues caused by the past 7 months can be put in the same bracket as folk wanting a pint or a holiday. Your view is clearly everyone should stick to the rules set by the government end of. You are perfectly entitled to hold that view but I also consider myself a realist. In my real world the majority of folk are not decrying the seriousness of Covid however, after 7 months of having other health services stopped and folks jobs going and businesses being decimated with no major progress seemingly being made or an end in sight, is it any wonder folk are fed up?? Not everyone out there is a covid is fake believer whilst piling 20 folk in to their front room for a bevvy

Doesn't seem to be any evidence these lockdowns work in any way. It's just kicking the can down the road. Reading out the statistics is scare mongering, thousands of people die every day with illnesses and other ailments. Not saying that it's acceptable but how many of these people being noted as Covid were either on their way out and Covid hasn't had any impact? Governments are ruining the economies of countries with something that they can't justify through science. It's turned into a dictatorship worldwide. 

As for Scotland, the only people who think the SNP are doing a good job are their blind followers who would still stick up for Sturgeon if she was a mass murderer. The care homes fiasco, Salmon inquiry, incompetence of most of their ministers, the list goes on. Only reason they get an easy ride is because of the incompetence of the other parties up here. 

1 minute ago, Barack said:

Bobby Ball tested positive for Covid-19.

Dead.

I mind going to see Cannon & Ball in Blackpool. Think the Nolans were on the same bill. 😁🙁

Just now, hmfcbilly said:

Can you explain the scientific motives? Not trying to have a pop at you on this but the last data I read had a really low infection rate caused by hospitality sector yet they are getting hammered.

Go ask a scientist or even better one of the many JKB experts 😅

Look I agree about the hospitality sector getting the rough end of the stick. 

The pub/restaurant that we went to for a meal a couple of times a week felt really safe and I felt much safer than in the supermarket or on the bus. 

At least they might be able to open for food now. 

The poster I replied to was on about the lockdown being political, I was asking him to explain how it is political. 

1 minute ago, Barack said:

Dead.

That is sad news.  It also killed Dave Greenfield, keyboard player of The Stranglers earlier this year.

Always liked Cannon and Ball growing up.  He was in Lee Mack's "Not Going Out" programme.

1 minute ago, neilnunb said:

I mind going to see Cannon & Ball in Blackpool. Think the Nolans were on the same bill. 😁🙁

Were you in the mood for dancing?

Brighton Jambo

For once I think the UK and Scottish governments have got the approach right with Tiers.  Why would be push for a full national lockdown in places like the Highland and Islands or Cornwall where infection rates are so low relative to other areas.  

If you look at the detail of the restrictions coming in across France and Germany they aren’t radically different from Tier 3 in England or Tier 4 up here.  

5 minutes ago, Barack said:

Dead.

That's sad, I did like wee Bobby but did he die from something else and was then found to have Covid or was it Covid that killed him?

6 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

Doesn't seem to be any evidence these lockdowns work in any way. It's just kicking the can down the road. Reading out the statistics is scare mongering, thousands of people die every day with illnesses and other ailments. Not saying that it's acceptable but how many of these people being noted as Covid were either on their way out and Covid hasn't had any impact? Governments are ruining the economies of countries with something that they can't justify through science. It's turned into a dictatorship worldwide. 

As for Scotland, the only people who think the SNP are doing a good job are their blind followers who would still stick up for Sturgeon if she was a mass murderer. The care homes fiasco, Salmon inquiry, incompetence of most of their ministers, the list goes on. Only reason they get an easy ride is because of the incompetence of the other parties up here. 

I don't know. How many? 

10 minutes ago, frankblack said:

That isn't the point - it is about whether the SG is doing a good job or has lost the plot and is abusing its powers.

It's entirely the point. You need a frame of reference.

5 minutes ago, frankblack said:

That is sad news.  It also killed Dave Greenfield, keyboard player of The Stranglers earlier this year.

Always liked Cannon and Ball growing up.  He was in Lee Mack's "Not Going Out" programme.

Adam Schlesinger of Fountains of Wayne as well and he was only 52.

12 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

Keep distance, contacts to a minimum, keep clean. Masks compulsory to enter premises unless govt. backed ID card

Test, test, test, test.

Trace.

Isolate with 100% compliance required from public when told to via tracing.

Download tracing apps.

Final point is running at 11% England and best 18% Scotland.

If local 'lockdowns' or non movement required between councils, formal id per adult to enter premises.

Not a hope of happening here.

‐‐‐----‐------

Imagine us trying the Swedish model here......

Edited by DETTY29

1 hour ago, spirt of 98 said:

Fair enough make your argument, parts of which I agree with but it could be done without the bit in bold. Many people have lost their jobs and will be struggling to make ends meet. I can entirely understand why for them, if they don’t know anybody who has suffered from it, will be concerned or emotional at everything that is going on. 

3 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

It's entirely the point. You need a frame of reference.

No - that gives oportunities for deflection and excuses for the very serious mistakes and mismanagement.

Just now, frankblack said:

No - that gives oportunities for deflection and excuses for the very serious mistakes and mismanagement.

If you don't compare to other nations and what is happening around the world, you're just using your imagination to dream up how well it should be going. How is that better?

jack D and coke
14 minutes ago, Barack said:

I don't know, that's why I'm purely saying he had it as per his manager.

Coincedence or contributory, maybe we'll find out later on. 

He was good in Not Going Out.

Reading that he had breathing difficulties and on admittance to hospital tested positive for Covid and then died. That’s in the daily star tho...

Edited by jack D and coke

On 5L just now and same countries that came out of financial crash best, parts of Asia and Scandics are same ones doing better with Covid.

Either from effective testing and tracing, better social housing and health services that are properly centrally funded, plus learning and investing from close calls (SARS) or disasters (financial crisis)  

Just now, Barack said:

BBC. Seems like he could've developed Covid-19 related pneumonia then. Seems quite sudden.

I actually thought Tommy Cannon was already dead. Seems not.

Screenshot_20201029-101108_BBC News.jpg

You getting your Cannon and Ball and the Chuckle Brothers mixed up?

Isn't it the Bobby Ball, Chuckle Brother doppelganger that died? 

1 hour ago, redjambo said:

Rubbish. It's never too late to take measures to control the virus.

It's not rubbish, it's way past the point that shutting our borders is an effective control. 

5 minutes ago, Barack said:

Knew a Chuckle had died. Barry...?

Just thought Cannon had died a few years ago.🤷‍♂️

Tbh I had to check if Tommy Cannon was still around or not. Seems he's 82 so a wee bit older than BB.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic