Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

21 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Keep distance, contacts to a minimum, keep clean. Masks compulsory to enter premises unless govt. backed ID card

Test, test, test, test.

Trace.

Isolate with 100% compliance required from public when told to via tracing.

Download tracing apps.

Final point is running at 11% England and best 18% Scotland.

If local 'lockdowns' or non movement required between councils, formal id per adult to enter premises.

Not a hope of happening here.

‐‐‐----‐------

Imagine us trying the Swedish model here......

Completely agree with what you are saying. We could clearly have a more open environment if time money and effort was put into making sure the correct guidelines were being created and followed. Instead so much is being wasted on kicking the can down the street. We need to learn to live with this virus not hide from it. 

Ban non essential travel and No ID no entry is a very simple but effective measure to stop people travelling to have a pint. The police should be policing open premises in a more relaxed local areas not kicking doors in house parties the current restrictions are creating. 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, graygo said:

It's not rubbish, it's way past the point that shutting our borders is an effective control. 

The more you can create a closed system and prevent reinfection from external sources, the more your internal measures are effective. Otherwise we would never put bandages and plasters on wounds after disinfecting them.

Edited by redjambo

Just now, redjambo said:

The more you can create a closed system and prevent reinfection from external sources, the more your internal measures are effective. Otherwise we would never put bandages and plasters on wounds after disinfecting them.

Thanks for the heads up but I'll go with what the experts say.

31 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Keep distance, contacts to a minimum, keep clean. Masks compulsory to enter premises unless govt. backed ID card

Test, test, test, test.

Trace.

Isolate with 100% compliance required from public when told to via tracing.

Download tracing apps.

Final point is running at 11% England and best 18% Scotland.

If local 'lockdowns' or non movement required between councils, formal id per adult to enter premises.

Not a hope of happening here.

‐‐‐----‐------

Imagine us trying the Swedish model here......

Sorry compliance levels is with self isolating, not downloading of tracing apps.

40 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Go ask a scientist or even better one of the many JKB experts 😅

Look I agree about the hospitality sector getting the rough end of the stick. 

The pub/restaurant that we went to for a meal a couple of times a week felt really safe and I felt much safer than in the supermarket or on the bus. 

At least they might be able to open for food now. 

The poster I replied to was on about the lockdown being political, I was asking him to explain how it is political. 

😂😂👍. I do think an element of the decisions being taken are political too being honest. But can we really expect a politician to make a decision without politics also coming in to the equation? That's their job so I guess it must be difficult to suddenly stop thinking along political lines even if they do have the best of intentions.  

jack D and coke
7 minutes ago, redjambo said:

How long do you propose we do this? I know plenty people who are refusing point blank to take any vaccine. Or rather they’ll wait to see what happens when the Guineas pigs take theirs. You can imagine it’ll be like the one or two reactions to the jab will be plastered all over the news and panic will set in that’s it’s dangerous and people who are afraid of this virus are already scared of the vaccine. 
We’re absolutely ****ed imo. 

1 hour ago, luckydug said:

Can you explain the political motives regarding lockdown ? 

People like you are looking for an excuse not to comply. 

As for discredited government then that could apply to the vast majority of governments as far as Covid is concerned. Dealing with this virus has baffled everyone imo. 

Correct.  People are looking for excuses to oppose what's being asked of them.  Looking for reasons to fit a pre-determined agenda.  Most of it is completely bogus nonsense.

jack D and coke
2 minutes ago, jonesy said:

The western governments painted themselves into this corner as soon as they murmured the words lockdown in about February. It's like playing chess with someone who keeps making suicidal moves.

What an utter shitshow...

4 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

How long do you propose we do this? I know plenty people who are refusing point blank to take any vaccine. Or rather they’ll wait to see what happens when the Guineas pigs take theirs. You can imagine it’ll be like the one or two reactions to the jab will be plastered all over the news and panic will set in that’s it’s dangerous and people who are afraid of this virus are already scared of the vaccine. 
We’re absolutely ****ed imo. 

People have been scrambling over each other for the flu vaccine. I'd be surprised if that weren't the same for Covid, despite the rise of the conspiracy-sheep in the UK.

The Mighty Thor
17 minutes ago, redjambo said:

In the event of a lockdown, which seems inevitable, the closing of the country's borders would seem obvious. 

However it probably will be as effective as the current measures, which still don't address where the transmission and spread is actually taking place.

A lockdown with everything open apart from shops like primark will be a waste of everyone's time and probably a huge number of people's employment. 

1 hour ago, Barack said:

Bobby Ball tested positive for Covid-19.

Dead.

Sad news. Still piss myself laughing at him on I'm a celebrity doing the high wire. I felt his pain as I'm petrified of heights as well, but him shouting vonny, vonny to help him was like a sketch from cannon and ball. 

1 minute ago, The Mighty Thor said:

In the event of a lockdown, which seems inevitable, the closing of the country's borders would seem obvious. 

However it probably will be as effective as the current measures, which still don't address where the transmission and spread is actually taking place.

A lockdown with everything open apart from shops like primark will be a waste of everyone's time and probably a huge number of people's employment. 

Backwards-tracing is a must. Our ultimate aim should be to get infections and transmission to such low levels that we don't need lockdown, just FACTS.

jack D and coke
3 minutes ago, redjambo said:

People have been scrambling over each other for the flu vaccine. I'd be surprised if that weren't the same for Covid, despite the rise of the conspiracy-sheep in the UK.

People who id never thought believed in conspiracy theories refusing vaccines cos it’s not safe...The biggest threat to global health they reckon going forward. 

Just now, jack D and coke said:

People who id never thought believed in conspiracy theories refusing vaccines cos it’s not safe...The biggest threat to global health they reckon going forward. 

I haven't experienced that myself but I believe you. The majority of folk are scared as shit at the moment and it's manifesting itself in ways like this.

I would make it compulsory to register your objection to taking the vaccine.  Then stick a marker on your medical records that you go to the end of the queue for any emergency treatment.  Not even joking.  

2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

I would make it compulsory to register your objection to taking the vaccine.  Then stick a marker on your medical records that you go to the end of the queue for any emergency treatment.  Not even joking.  

Behind smokers and fatties?

7 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Any emergency treatment or just in relation to the thing you avoided vaccination for?

If the latter, I agree.

If the former, I disagree unless you widen the scope to include drinkers, smokers, fat people edit: oh and anyone with a car with high emissions, anyone who doesn't recycle and anyone who has a high carbon footprint in general actually.

Edited by Taffin

56 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

The problem is there is not all that much evidence local lockdowns are effective. If you look at England, most the areas that have been in lockdown for longest are still struggling with rising cases and they’ve been in it for months. 

Even if you look at Glasgow, the restriction imposed there hadn’t no real impact until central belt taken out and even then.

Leitch even said on record local lockdowns don’t work, strangely not long before the tiered approach was announced,

I agree with the theory but I’m far from convinced it’s working. Think a large part of problem is we don’t actually know how or where it spreading as we don’t do backwards tracing. 

We’re not making decisions based on evidence but more intuition and assumption. 

New lockdowns won’t be like in March, they will be a bit looser for a variety of reasons, but let’s be honest we ain’t allowed to do much right now, so any tighten will be hard.

Aberdeen had a strict lockdown imposed when levels of transmission became a legitimate concern, they've turned it around. Maybe the Loons in the North East were more compliant than the Glaswegians.

6 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Good idea 

along with those who refuse to wear a mask 

Ainsley Harriott

The infection rate in edinburgh is around 82 per 100k where is Glasgow is about 450 per 100k. Any idea why we have the same lockdown level? Perhaps Glasgow being an SNP stronghold she can't afford to be seen to single them out?

2 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Good idea 

Add in every one of those manky gits in Lanarkshire and you've nailed it.

Ainsley Harriott
2 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Good idea 

We are now well into people have electronic chips and passports. Perhaps people will be unable to travel in future if not vaccinated? 

1 hour ago, neilnunb said:

I mind going to see Cannon & Ball in Blackpool. Think the Nolans were on the same bill. 😁🙁

I saw them in Blackpool around 1988.  Supported by the Grumbleweeds, Jimmy Cricket and Brian Conley (I think) 😬

They were mental, we made the mistake of having aisle seats about 5 rows from the stage and they pestered my mum and my gran all night 😂.  

Their stuff is of course very dated, like most comedy from that era, but at the time it was ****ing hilarious.  I was howling.  

RIP Bobby. 

Just now, Ainsley Harriott said:

The infection rate in edinburgh is around 82 per 100k where is Glasgow is about 450 per 100k. Any idea why we have the same lockdown level? Perhaps Glasgow being an SNP stronghold she can't afford to be seen to single them out?

I think that's exactly why. Hopefully some decent questions asked of her regarding this by prominent Edinburgh politicians but I doubt it. They are all weak.

1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

The problem is there is not all that much evidence local lockdowns are effective. If you look at England, most the areas that have been in lockdown for longest are still struggling with rising cases and they’ve been in it for months. 

Even if you look at Glasgow, the restriction imposed there hadn’t no real impact until central belt taken out and even then.

Leitch even said on record local lockdowns don’t work, strangely not long before the tiered approach was announced,

I agree with the theory but I’m far from convinced it’s working. Think a large part of problem is we don’t actually know how or where it spreading as we don’t do backwards tracing. 

We’re not making decisions based on evidence but more intuition and assumption. 

New lockdowns won’t be like in March, they will be a bit looser for a variety of reasons, but let’s be honest we ain’t allowed to do much right now, so any tighten will be hard.

The difficulty is that you are trying to stop the people catching the cold (it is a cold virus)

Its not something we have ever previously managed to cure/treat/prevent before.

We are trying to stop smoke with a tennis racket

The issue is that anti-vaxxers can strut around as proud as punch at their unique wisdom but they still benefit from the vaccinations taken by other people.  Vaccination = much less virus around = much less chance of your genius anti-vaxxer getting covid.  They benefit from someone else's vaccine shot but they add to the remaining reservoir of susceptiple people.  They could end up getting the virus and end up passing it on to someone who can't take the vaccine for specific medical reasons.

Basically being parasites and pests at the same time.

Edited by Victorian

I think there's a difference between being a radge conspiracy theorist opposing all vaccines and being slightly apprehensive about this particular vaccine. I mean I'd definitely take it if it meant getting shit back to some kind of normality but can see why folk would be concerned. Still think people giving it the 'no way I'm taking any rushed vaccine for this' are at it and will be first in the queue if/when it's available anyway. 

4 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

This is one fo the issues with the protect the vulnerable but open up for everyone else approach, I (and more importantly the majority of actual experts) don't think you can stop the virus getting in places once it is circulating at a high enough level.

I disagree,  I think you could target all your resource at those who need protecting

Nursing home staff in hazmat suits, daily testing for carers and so on . those spray booths for all care home staff- proper fitted respirator masks for them too.

Sure its expensive, but better than spending hundreds of millions to stop soft plays going bust etc

and if you can deal with nursing homes, then that is half your death stats gone in an instant

1 minute ago, Victorian said:

The issue is that anti-vaxxers can strut around as proud as punch at their unique wisdom but they still benefit from the vaccinations taken by other people.  Vaccination = much less virus around = much less chance of your genius anti-vaxxer getting covid.  They benefit from someone else's vaccine shot but they add to the remaining reservoir of susceptiple people.  They could end up getting the virus and end up passing it on to someone who can't take the vaccine for specific medical reasons.

I dont think its fair to lump the anti-vaxxers into the anti-lockdowners

the anti-vaxxers are mentalists

The Real Maroonblood
23 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Ainsley regardless of that Edinburgh will always be miles better.

Ainsley Harriott
2 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

So we all have the information and can go mental when the announcement is made later on here are the 7 day stats for each council

image.png.d142a68d117155c9e4bb5cb1f77381a6.png

Where should the lines be drawn?

East Lothian only 88 per 100k and in the same lockdown as glasgow. Farce 

12 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Agree. Same as those who strut around in the diesel vehicles, eating meat every night, refusing to recycle, use palm oil and buy clothes from companies who use slave labour. They're happy to benefit from other people's efforts to reduce air pollution and damage to the Earth but more than happy to contribute to it themselves, in turn, killing others in different parts of the world and ruining the environment.

Parasites.

Out of interest are those who don't take a flu vaccine parasites?

Ainsley Harriott
3 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

Inverclyde only 65.6 but in the same lockdown as Glasgow

So shes just throwing darts at a map by the sounds of things 

Dangerous road to go down in my

opinion as soon as we start singling out people for things. Better to educate them rather than put a sign on them. 

For what it’s worth, I know two pharmacists here who both work with drug approvals in the EU and they have their worries about taking a vaccine developed so quickly. Not anti taking them but they understand the concerns. 

8 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Agree. Same as those who strut around in the diesel vehicles, eating meat every night, refusing to recycle, use palm oil and buy clothes from companies who use slave labour. They're happy to benefit from other people's efforts to reduce air pollution and damage to the Earth but more than happy to contribute to it themselves, in turn, killing others in different parts of the world and ruining the environment.

Parasites.

Out of interest are those who don't take a flu vaccine parasites?

Yes,  in fairness.  But we've settled into a manageable equalibrium with seasonal flu at the rate of vaccination take up that occurs.  This is very different.  It is a unique intervention and solution to an existential crisis to the benefit of everyone and future generations.  A very different prospect.

28 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

So we all have the information and can go mental when the announcement is made later on here are the 7 day stats for each council

image.png.d142a68d117155c9e4bb5cb1f77381a6.png

Where should the lines be drawn?

Shetlands

12 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Yes,  in fairness.  But we've settled into a manageable equalibrium with seasonal flu at the rate of vaccination take up that occurs.  This is very different.  It is a unique intervention and solution to an existential crisis to the benefit of everyone and future generations.  A very different prospect.

So many words so little substance. 

The Mighty Thor
19 minutes ago, Barack said:

And Wales want to come out of lockdown on November the 9th...?

:tlj:

My area was just over 100 cases per 100,000 before lockdown. It's now 400+.

I'll be interested to hear them explain who's still contributing to the spread. Given another 48 worker's at a local food plant, have had another outbreak. 

The measures being put in place, are not being stringently observed in these settings.

Screenshot_20201029-114414_Chrome.jpg

I'd imagine that number is the cycle through of people who were infected before the lockdown. 

However when everything is shut and cases still rise then that which is open is your problem, regardless of how unpalatable it is to shut it down. 

Its the herd of elephants in a phone box which no one is prepared to acknowledge. 

4 hours ago, SE16 3LN said:

Hard to see how the UK will avoid full lockdown although Boris might give it a go with full lockdown in all but name.

Yes it’s interesting that the SG use France and Germany to back up their plans for a full lockdown yet completely ignore Sweden’s policy ? Selective or what ?

18 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Nobody yet has even rejected an available vaccine yet, so we don't know what level of threat covid will present by the time a vaccine comes around. We may have a good treatment for it then (fingers crossed) and also achieve a manageable equilibrium with similar numbers levels of vaccination to flu. It's not worth getting worked up about until it actually becomes a real life issue really imo.

As to existential crisis? Come on.

Seymour M Hersh
1 hour ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Good idea 

J4E's new line in protective maskwear.  

th-2.jpeg

th-3.jpeg

th-4.jpeg

th-5.jpeg

jack D and coke
7 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Sturgeon's influence goes far and wide. 

Haha aye but posted more for the rising tensions this is causing. Always baffles me why we’re so placid here. Scotland in particular...Nobody gives a **** :lol: 

2 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

J4E's new line in protective maskwear.  

th-2.jpeg

th-3.jpeg

th-4.jpeg

th-5.jpeg

Can you get the one at the bottom on Amazon ?

Asking for a friend.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic