Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

1 minute ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Because as per the chart outlined above by Brian they make absolutely no sense and are clearly not based on the data available.  East Lothian in the same tier as Lanarkshire is absolutely scandalous.  

Just follow the rules in place mate

mods - please can you remove any posts that are condoning breaking the law. Thanks 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Mighty Thor

Fine grained approach right enough 😂

Bullshit rationale on the tiering very much in keeping with the other decisions being taken. 

Patrick Harvie ' well known chain pub' told a person to keep working until covid test result back

It was positive.  And staff exposed, were changing moving across premises to cover shift.

Needs to verify which chain.

Let me think..........

Malinga the Swinga
8 minutes ago, graygo said:

So as long as we find a bairn we can claim it's babysitting?

I have three so you can have one of mine. Mind youngest is 17 and she won't like being called a bairn, but hey, for a small fee, she'd get over it.

2 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Patrick Harvie ' well known chain pub' told a person to keep working until covid test result back

It was positive.  And staff exposed, were changing moving across premises to cover shift.

Needs to verify which chain.

Let me think..........

I doubt there will be any written evidence to back up this claim, but it is probably true.

5 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Why are people still replying to that account. 

It’s like picking a scab. I shouldn’t do it but can’t stop.

Malinga the Swinga
9 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

There are places with a better case than East Lothian, look at Edinburgh.

One thing to consider is that East Lothian were in a better position than this a week ago, they are perhaps moving in the wrong direction, as are a few others. I think Edinburgh are going the right way and are more likely to get changed. It all depends on the reasoning they have published, I'm not sure how Fife gets 2 but Stirling gets 3??

That's the number dart landed in when they were playing 'Tier the Region'. Edinburgh and Glasgow used same dart.

8 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I doubt there will be any written evidence to back up this claim, but it is probably true.

You would like to think that any politician using 'real life examples' makes sure the claim are checked by their office first.

Edited by DETTY29

Just spoke to my mate who's clued up on this rona stuff and he reckons we can still have the semi final party but only a maximum of 8 cans each, same rules as North Lanarkshire. Pizza still ok at half time but will pay contactless and get the driver to drop off at doorstep just to be safe.

30 minutes ago, Victorian said:

If is an accurate term.  The medical,  economic and societal consequences from not defeating covid are things that threaten or severely compromise our way of life.  A threat to the continuation of the way of life we had and want,  at least for the forseeable future.  

Existential.  

Existential crisis is used to describe the individual and their personal feelings of worthlessness. The restrictions imposed could be said to risk causing people an existential crisis but not the virus itself. No more so anyway than any other potentially fatal illness that people may succumb to.

An existential threat is a threat to our very existence. Which this isn't. Ironically two of the actual existential threats to humanity are overpopulation and an ageing population. So you could probably argue that Covid-19 is the opposite of an existential threat.

Nobody questioned your use of the word existential, they questioned existential crisis.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Existential_crisis

Edited by Taffin

4 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

That's the number dart landed in when they were playing 'Tier the Region'. Edinburgh and Glasgow used same dart.

Surely they will be expected to provide a decent reasoning behind this sort of decision.

Are people just going to nod and say ok then?

Malinga the Swinga
2 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

You would like to think that any politician using 'real life examples' make sure they claim are checked by their office first.

Ypu would like to think it, but you also know that they won't have bothered. If they have checked it and it's true, then name and shame and close it down. No reason to punish everyone because of one (at the moment unsubstantiated) case.

Malinga the Swinga
Just now, Ron Burgundy said:

Surely they will be expected to provide a decent reasoning behind this sort of decision.

Are people just going to nod and say ok then?

No chance Edinburgh council will query it. Leader is so far up Nicola's arse, he will be on first name terms with aussieh.

Just now, Malinga the Swinga said:

No chance Edinburgh council will query it. Leader is so far up Nicola's arse, he will be on first name terms with aussieh.

That is deep.

12 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Just spoke to my mate who's clued up on this rona stuff and he reckons we can still have the semi final party but only a maximum of 8 cans each, same rules as North Lanarkshire. Pizza still ok at half time but will pay contactless and get the driver to drop off at doorstep just to be safe.

Are you doing social distancing with separate tables for households, and face masks whenever you are not sat at the table? 🤔

Pasquale for King
46 minutes ago, Gone said:

Madness again that both teams have to travel to Glasgow

Especially when it’s BCD, would’ve been even worse if any amount of fans were allowed to attend. An absolute farce but that’s the SFA. Let’s win the ****ing thing to amongst other things show these CuN+$  up. 

The new levels are particularly harsh on the Borders and Dumfries and Galloway, based on these charts. Glasgow seems to have got away with it due to ICU and hospital capacity but Edinburgh has not.

The Mighty Thor

So when do the SG review their totally arbitrary ratings for the council areas to allow movement between the tiers?

13 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Existential crisis is used to describe the individual and their personal feelings of worthlessness. The restrictions imposed could be said to risk causing people an existential crisis but not the virus itself. No more so anyway than any other potentially fatal illness that people may succumb to.

An existential threat is a threat to our very existence. Which this isn't. Ironically two of the actual existential threats to humanity are overpopulation and an ageing population. So you could probably argue that Covid-19 is the opposite of an existential threat.

Nobody questioned your use of the word existential, they questioned existential crisis.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Existential_crisis

Semantics.  It's not a threat to existence as humans.  It is a threat to our way of life for the forseeable.  

The Mighty Thor

Just read the paper and evidence as to why East Lothian was placed in tier 3. 

Answer. Because they ****ing say so. 

27 minutes ago, OBE said:

Or fostering maybe?

Of course, that's the answer. I'll just keep one of them back from the planned contact with their birth family on Saturday and use him as the reason for the gathering.

Cheers. 🍺

1 hour ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

1228 new cases

37 deaths!!

In Scotland each year there are approximately 9,500 deaths caused by smoking,

much more morbidity that people survive “ long smoking “

that’s about 30 deaths every-single-day every year.

why not ban ciggies?

or should we find a way to merely tax Covid and let folk do what they want?

and yes you can catch cigarette death even if you don’t smoke

13 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Are you doing social distancing with separate tables for households, and face masks whenever you are not sat at the table? 🤔

Not necessary as long as you have good ventilation apparently. So a window open or keeping the door open a wee bit should do it.

5 minutes ago, jonesy said:

The virus poses no threat to our way of life.

The response to it has been, is and will continue to be.

Correct.

and when people say semantics its because they've used a word that they don't know the meaning of and got caught out.

7 minutes ago, jonesy said:

The virus poses no threat to our way of life.

The response to it has been, is and will continue to be.

Theres all sorts of implications arising from the virus that profoundly affects our way of life than a binary choice between concentrating on medical matters and political choices.  No matter which way you cut it,  the virus is the root of the problem.

6 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

East Lothian's cases are rising and are probably the reason Edinburgh is in 3, there are areas that have been dealt a much worse hand than East Lothian

Many from East Lothian work in Edinburgh, this could be where the transmissions are taking place.

The Mighty Thor
4 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

East Lothian's cases are rising and are probably the reason Edinburgh is in 3, there are areas that have been dealt a much worse hand than East Lothian

I don't disagree with you mate but the rationale of the tier system was flexibility, targeting areas. The first run of it does none of that. 

The SG shat the bed on the Lanarkshires and Glasgow and have lumped the rump of Scotland in with them for good measure. 

Nonsense that flies in the face of everything they've been talking about. 

3 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

Correct.

and when people say semantics its because they've used a word that they don't know the meaning of and got caught out.

Oh guardian of the OED,  why has one never been invited to appear on Countdown dictionary corner?

Malinga the Swinga
1 minute ago, The Mighty Thor said:

I don't disagree with you mate but the rationale of the tier system was flexibility, targeting areas. The first run of it does none of that. 

The SG shat the bed on the Lanarkshires and Glasgow and have lumped the rump of Scotland in with them for good measure. 

Nonsense that flies in the face of everything they've been talking about. 

That would have taken real investigation and work. Far easier just to grab at nearest straw and go with it. 

Malinga the Swinga
20 minutes ago, Darren said:

The new levels are particularly harsh on the Borders and Dumfries and Galloway, based on these charts. Glasgow seems to have got away with it due to ICU and hospital capacity but Edinburgh has not.

So where the situation was balanced on knife edge, they erred on side of caution. Well, apart from the situation concerning Glasgow and Lanarkshire where they erred on the side of leniency. 

That sounds fair.

1 hour ago, Robbofan99 said:

Just has email from my work , apparently Edinburgh will be in tier 3 . This is complete cop out by the SG I feel . 

And Lanarkshire avoid 4 it has just made the whole system pointless.

Just now, Malinga the Swinga said:

So where the situation was balanced on knife edge, they erred on side of caution. Well, apart from the situation concerning Glasgow and Lanarkshire where they erred on the side of leniency. 

That sounds fair.

Borders and D&G seem to be punished purely for their proximity to the north of England and Edinburgh/Glasgow, Inverclyde has been shafted, too. Edinburgh should be in Level 2. Seems to be no rhyme nor reason to Shetland being anything but Level 0.

Malinga the Swinga
1 minute ago, Darren said:

Borders and D&G seem to be punished purely for their proximity to the north of England and Edinburgh/Glasgow, Inverclyde has been shafted, too. Edinburgh should be in Level 2. Seems to be no rhyme nor reason to Shetland being anything but Level 0.

Please stop questioning Nicola mate. Follow FACTS and don't be a twit. Think that just about covers everything.

Scot gov have sent all shielding patients letters about being on vit d. Advised to buy OTC.

we are now deluged with folks asking for vit d.

We are asking them all to read the letter and if they don’t understand it to call us back.

Nice shothousery by Scot gov of primary care , no warning no heads up to the ONLY service that has kept working 

alongside their advice about sick lines if you are afraid to go to work she’s just fjckes is right up

My home town in the Falkirk area is split into 4 council wards. 1 ward has no cases, 2 of the 4 wards have cases of between 1-4, and the 4th has 5. When cases are less than 5 the SG uses 1-4 to protect patient confidentiality. So it is possible that my town has a maximum of 7 cases for a population of around 16000, which equates to 44 per 100,000 population. The average for Falkirk region is 115 per 100,000 which puts us in Tier 3 lockdown.

The city of Edinburgh is at 91/100000. Glasgow City is at 320/100000. All in Tier 3. 

At least 1 area in Fife >350 /100,000 = Tier 2  😖

Malinga the Swinga
6 minutes ago, Hugh Phamism said:

My home town in the Falkirk area is split into 4 council wards. 1 ward has no cases, 2 of the 4 wards have cases of between 1-4, and the 4th has 5. When cases are less than 5 the SG uses 1-4 to protect patient confidentiality. So it is possible that my town has a maximum of 7 cases for a population of around 16000, which equates to 44 per 100,000 population. The average for Falkirk region is 115 per 100,000 which puts us in Tier 3 lockdown.

The city of Edinburgh is at 91/100000. Glasgow City is at 320/100000. All in Tier 3. 

At least 1 area in Fife >350 /100,000 = Tier 2  😖

Again, all perfectly clear and fair. No bias at all. Greatest system in Europe.

Scottish numbers: 29 October 2020

Summary

• 1,128 new cases of COVID-19 reported [-74]
  • 37 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive [+9]
  • 86 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 [+1]
  • 1,152 people were in hospital yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 [+35]
  • 18,097 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results – 7.1% of these were positive

Personal note: The cases figure looks a bit better and has, with the exception of the spike caused primarily by the previous data reporting problem, roughly plateaued for a couple of weeks now. That is good. What isn't so good obviously is the continual increase in hospital admissions, but we know now that it takes a while for increased infections to result in hospital admissions and ultimately deaths, so that doesn't come as a big surprise.

manaliveits105

I hope the good people of Edinburgh and all other areas shafted by the SG remember this in next years Scottish Parliamentary elections they are an absolute bag of shite

56 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

So when do the SG review their totally arbitrary ratings for the council areas to allow movement between the tiers?

On a daily basis if it involves an area being moved up a tier, on an annual basis if being moved down. ;)

1 hour ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

No one in the country is allowed in other people’s houses (except a few exemptions such as child care etc)

I’m visiting my partner in her home 

That ok with you 

Footballfirst

On the latest published data for the week 21-27 October, Edinburgh has dropped to 88.2.  Those figures still include the bloated numbers from 21 and 22 October that resulted from the testing problem the weekend before last. Saturday's figures should give us a better indication of where all local authority areas currently sit.

Glasgow is currently at 310.4, North Lanarkshire at a similar 310.8 and South Lanarkshire at 349.4.

West Lothian has already shown some downward movement in the last couple of days and is at 191.2 (it was at 247.4 two days ago)

Edited by Footballfirst

6 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

I hope the good people of Edinburgh and all other areas shafted by the SG remember this in next years Scottish Parliamentary elections they are an absolute bag of shite

Who do you suggest we vote for instead?

I was busy while the tiers were being announced. Many people have commented here on the unusually wide disparity of areas being assigned level 3, so I won't comment on that, but how on earth did the Lanarkshires avoid level 4?! Bizarre decision.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic