Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Scottish numbers: 20 October 2020

Summary

• 1,456 new cases of COVID-19 reported; this is 19.9%* of newly tested individuals** [+463]
  • 15 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive (noting that Register Offices are now generally closed at weekends) [+14]
  • 69 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 [+8]
  • 824 people were in hospital yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 [+70]
  • 14,107 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results - 11.4% of these were positive**

* We have reviewed the use of this percentage, and plan to focus in future on percent of tests that are positive. Please see this article for details.

** These figures may be affected by weekend delays in test results being processed.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The cases per 100K has changed since the 'circuit breaker' with Falkirk, Midlothian and East Lothian all showing in the lower blue zones now, and Dundee up into the orange. Will this make a difference to post Sunday rules for these regions? 

image.thumb.png.bd1c807f13371ed6655f38e18075079f.png

3 hours ago, OmiyaHearts said:

Considering hospitality wasn't really contributing to the spread, I don't expect to see improvements. I'm expecting an irrationally tougher lockdown without any sort of justification.

I live in a flat which is surrounded by other flats and have seen plenty of house parties on the go now, since no one can go out. Guy above me had a about 20 people in his gaff on Sunday night.

It was painfully obvious this would happen when you close pubs in Glasgow.

Birch the selfish b*s*a*d*, tar and feather, then shoot them. Second thoughts, just ***kin shoot the morons.

Per-board breakdown of today's new cases (per-100,000):

Lanarkshire 59, Greater Glasgow 42, Ayrshire & Arran 31, Lothian 22, Forth Valley 15, Tayside 15, Fife 12, Dumfries & Galloway 11, Borders 10.

Grampian, Highland, Islesx3: less than 10.

13 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

It is to do with politics though, they all want to look like the hero, maybe not as openly as Trump, but they're all a bit of Trump

Defo agree. I made a post last week about the strategy in Scotland to CV. When the PM of New Zealand got that 5 mins of global acclaim earlier in the year for “eliminating” CV, I definitely think Sturgeon and the upper echelons of SG believed they could replicate it and become the heroes of Europe in eliminating CV. Which led to an ultra cautious approach, which ultimately did not really achieve anything apart from kicking the can a few more months down the road. 

Unfortunately politics attracts a certain type of narcissistic personality. Sometimes this can be a helpful trait, and at other times it can lead to non-sensible decisions being made.   

1 hour ago, SE16 3LN said:

You didn't even know there was a plan. I'm only assuming it wasn't resourced because there was a shocking shortage of PPE and a huge shortage of hospital beds, respirators etc. etc. Perhaps that was the SG's plan all along 😀. Get out of your deity worshipping nationalist paradigm and face the facts, the SG has failed like all the other UK govts. 

I can't imagine why you believe i didn't think there was a plan. That's what governments are for. By your own admission it is you who is making assumptions and your primary assumption is wrong. Scotland did prepare for the pandemic by stocking up. Scotland did not run out of PPE and in fact supplied some to England. https://www.thenational.scot/news/18500272.jeane-freeman-hits-back-bbc-suggestion-scotland-ran-ppe/

I'm not aware of a shortage of beds or respirators anywhere in the UK but if you know different i'd be interested to see the info. I do remember a scramble to get temporary hospitals up and running and i also remember various methods being employed to acquire respirators but afaik there was no shortage anywhere and definitely not in Scotland. 

References to nationalist paradigms and deity worshiping don't change the facts. Have you got any?

The Real Maroonblood
38 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Scottish numbers: 20 October 2020

Summary

• 1,456 new cases of COVID-19 reported; this is 19.9%* of newly tested individuals** [+463]
  • 15 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive (noting that Register Offices are now generally closed at weekends) [+14]
  • 69 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 [+8]
  • 824 people were in hospital yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 [+70]
  • 14,107 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results - 11.4% of these were positive**

* We have reviewed the use of this percentage, and plan to focus in future on percent of tests that are positive. Please see this article for details.

** These figures may be affected by weekend delays in test results being processed.

Not good. 

1 hour ago, steve123 said:

Listening to her  today  does not sound like hospitality is opening up in the central belt next week after the 2 week shut down.

Agreed and probably wise 

3 minutes ago, jonesy said:

我不是!那个汉密尔顿人是大笨蛋

(I do admit having to look up the combination of characters that made up that particular Lanarkshire beauty spot)

😂😂

4 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Not good. 

The case stats are a wee bit higher today due to the reporting issue at the weekend. What concerns me more are the hospital admissions - huge jumps each day now. Fortunately, we're able to better treat Covid now with the experience we've gained, but even then some folk aren't going to make it. I don't think that the SG is in great control of the situation - they fecked it up with their initial half-hearted restrictions in the west, imo.

3 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Agreed and probably wise 

as long as the offy is selling the buckie and we can gather in oor hooses wi the music at anti social volume  levels, yi can shove yer hospitality

The Mighty Thor
1 hour ago, Brian Dundas said:

Not sure if mentioned yet but the flattening of the rises has not continued today, 15 more deaths.  Last Tuesday the 7 day average was 3.6, it is now 9.7, this is still steadily rising, although not out of control at all.

So that's a continued increase in cases despite a ban on households mixing and a complete shutdown of restaurants and pubs.

So if its not the hospitality industry or households mixing, just where is the increase coming from 🤔

Perhaps SG need to re-evaluate the science and data and perhaps look at the sectors deemed sacrosanct to see where the virus is being spread. 

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, reaths17 said:

as long as the offy is selling the buckie and we can gather in oor hooses wi the music at anti social volume  levels, yi can shove yer hospitality

👍

56 minutes ago, steve123 said:

She said that they were drawing up the road map which would be discussed with opposition parties this week and implemented the week after next.

In the meantime she would discuss with her cabinet what was to happen next week in the interim and whether or not to roll over current guidelines until then.

Honestly just sounds like waffle to me and trying to justify her totally unnecessary daily briefings. I mean seriously, what does drawing up the road map actually mean?

I'll admit to being totally selfish here and state that I desperately want to watch the semi in the pub, as will the vast majority of posters on here. However, the BS she comes out with just beggars belief at times. Anyway, 6 Nations starts again on 31 October so that might sway her thinking.

The Mighty Thor
2 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

Maybe they should close care homes and hospitals.................

Or maybe you should consider the fact it is not out of control and is rising more slowly to see that measure are having some effect

Not the institutions I was thinking of but on the right lines.

What I think about the progression of the virus is irrelevant, what appears to be out of control is the weekly/fortnightly application of restrictions with no clue as to the impact of the last lot. It spreads confusion and erodes the goodwill and compliance of the population, which is disappearing rapidly. 

10 minutes ago, JWL said:

Honestly just sounds like waffle to me and trying to justify her totally unnecessary daily briefings. I mean seriously, what does drawing up the road map actually mean?

I'll admit to being totally selfish here and state that I desperately want to watch the semi in the pub, as will the vast majority of posters on here. However, the BS she comes out with just beggars belief at times. Anyway, 6 Nations starts again on 31 October so that might sway her thinking.

To be fair road map may have been my words for it, basically the 3 tier system.

My problem with it is at the start of the 2 week lock down she was adamant it was only for the 2 weeks, she would have known then they would not have seen results by now there is far to much mixed messaging when folks lively hoods are at risk.

I am someone who supported her at the start ( not a snp supporter) but fast losing confidence that they know how to deal with it all.

Edited by steve123

44 minutes ago, jonesy said:

An advocate of the gentle touch approach, I see. :) 

When people don't obey rules, it's because they generally don't see the point in them. If enough people don't see the point in them, then the problem is with the rules, not the people.

Dumb, selfish, arrogant people are aiding the contagion of this virus. The basic rules have been blatantly shat on from the outset by the aforementioned filth.

Covidiots could be the death of us all.

Edited by OBE

40 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

I can't imagine why you believe i didn't think there was a plan. That's what governments are for. By your own admission it is you who is making assumptions and your primary assumption is wrong. Scotland did prepare for the pandemic by stocking up. Scotland did not run out of PPE and in fact supplied some to England. https://www.thenational.scot/news/18500272.jeane-freeman-hits-back-bbc-suggestion-scotland-ran-ppe/

I'm not aware of a shortage of beds or respirators anywhere in the UK but if you know different i'd be interested to see the info. I do remember a scramble to get temporary hospitals up and running and i also remember various methods being employed to acquire respirators but afaik there was no shortage anywhere and definitely not in Scotland. 

References to nationalist paradigms and deity worshiping don't change the facts. Have you got any?

If you don't remember the PPE shortage drama then there really is no point in talking to you. Bye

Nucky Thompson
8 minutes ago, OBE said:

Dumb, selfish, arrogant people are aiding the contagion of this virus. The basic rules have been blatantly shat on from the outset by the aforementioned filth.

Talk about overreacting :rofl:

35 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Agreed and probably wise 

I think shutting an industry that, for the past 7 months, has done everything the government has asked (and more in some cases) when the facts that its that industry that is a big cause of spreading covid are sketchy to say the least. I know lots of folk like myself who were capable of going for a few pints, sticking to all the social distancing and hygiene rules and continuing to support the hospitality industry (and the jobs that depend  on it) are totally scunnered with it all.  Now, we are all stuck in our own individual homes, isolated from each other and feeling more fed up than ever. Meanwhile there's plenty bams not giving a shit continuing to pile into flats and houses 15-20 at a time, more likely spreading germs and viruses a lot more freely than if they were sat in a pub and being gently policed by the staff. Who is policing them at their house parties?? I get your passion for the rules but the total injustice of all these restrictions on the majority of decent folk is taking its toll. 

13 minutes ago, OBE said:

13 minutes ago, OBE said:

Over reacting a bit chief 

Edited by AlimOzturk

21 minutes ago, steve123 said:

To be fair road map may have been my words for it, basically the 3 tier system.

My problem with it is at the start of the 2 week lock down she was adamant it was only for the 2 weeks, she would have known then they would not have seen results by now there is far to much mixed messaging when folks lively hoods are at risk.

I am someone who supported her at the start ( not a snp supporter) but fast losing confidence that they know how to deal with it all.

It is far easier to keep the public on your side by saying you are shutting down hospitality for only two weeks than the reality of 6-8 weeks.

Christmas is cancelled, folks.

giphy.gif

21 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Did she wobble her head a wee bit and put both her hands out as she said it?

In the same way that she wobbled her head when saying the exact same thing yesterday. Absolutely essential these daily updates though. I'd forgotten what FACTS was until she pointed it out again.

Just now, jonesy said:

The rules are an absolute shambles, man.

I've just, in the last hour, had a conversation with a theatre nurse in London who ripped into the mask policy, saying that the shitty blue ones (the same ones clogging up the streets, bins and oceans now) that most folk wear are nothing but germ reservoirs and do nothing to prevent aerosols coming in or out. But hey, gotta wear one if I want to buy some beers on my way home.

The rules about who you can and cannot meet have been a farce from the beginning. Isolation and loneliness have probably killed/will probably kill as many people as CV19, but there aren't any government approved, daily trumpeted stats on those, are there? No, because the politicians (nor there slavish adherents) don't want to take responsibility for the fact that their 'measures' are ill-thought out and might, just might, cause more problems than they solve. Then there's the fact that I can still meet someone in a coffee shop and sit and share light-hearted banter, a latte and my virus with them, but we cannot do so in either of our homes. The rules are illogical if you care to actually think about them.

So, OBE, you can take your rules, your tabloid/social media style use of 'covidiots', your childish insults and shove them up your fat, hairy farter. Have a nice day, though :) 

Those masks are supposed to be disposable are they not?  Other masks should be washable.

1 hour ago, jonesy said:

An advocate of the gentle touch approach, I see. :) 

When people don't obey rules, it's because they generally don't see the point in them. If enough people don't see the point in them, then the problem is with the rules, not the people.

👍

43 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

If you don't remember the PPE shortage drama then there really is no point in talking to you. Bye

Of course i remember it and i remember the response to it, that's why i posted the link giving the official position i.e. that Scotland did not run out out of PPE because we had prepared for the pandemic.

Where's your evidence? you haven't got any and that's why you're running away.

1 hour ago, jonesy said:

If there's one thing CV-19 has done, it's expose the utter uselessness of most politicians.

and " experts" 

1 minute ago, coconut doug said:

Of course i remember it and i remember the response to it, that's why i posted the link giving the official position i.e. that Scotland did not run out out of PPE because we had prepared for the pandemic.

😂That was when the virus got politicised ya numpty now **** off. 

57 minutes ago, OBE said:

Oh thats rather dramatic...

6 minutes ago, Barack said:

Burnham wanted £75 million. Said he'd accept, £65 million. 

Government apparently just sent MP's an email saying they'll get £22 million as a central payment, & as & when fund applications from individual Greater Manchester Council's.

Good negotiations...

Government offered £60 million 

So prepared to give a lot less presumably as a punishment 

Governor Tarkin
11 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

My sister and her mates were bagging up corpses with only a pair of gloves for protection because her care home could acquire no other PPE. 

The undertakers couldn't get any either so they refused to touch the bodies, which left the young lassies on a wee bit above minimum wage to do it.

Prepared right enough.

The official position is utter wank.

Weakened Offender
1 hour ago, JWL said:

I'll admit to being totally selfish here 

This is the perfect thread for you then. Enjoy. 

1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

Government offered £60 million 

So prepared to give a lot less presumably as a punishment 

What a nonsense from the government. Admit £60million is required at least to assist the city through restrictions but prepared to let folk suffer because the negotiations broke down.

Just like Brexit, the Tory's need to be scattered to the far corners of the world. Over privileged scum

With the tens of billions being chucked around at will by the Tory government since march, how come they couldn't offer Manchester the extra £5mil it asked for??

Is it because they know that these "local lockdowns" are going to be slowly rolled out across the entire nation as we move into a de-facto 2nd full nationwide lockdown over the winter and didn't want to set a high base level of financial support?

:kirk:

12 minutes ago, Barack said:

Government apparently just sent MP's an email saying they'll get £22 million as a central payment, & as & when fund applications from individual Greater Manchester Council's.

Good negotiations...

It's beyond filthy behaviour by the govt. if latter part true.

And that's not taking in to account billions they cream off the public purse for their pals, irrespective of expertise.

13 minutes ago, Barack said:

Good negotiations...

Lest we forget the Government has been giving contracts worth 100s of millions to firms ,some less than a month old, some owned by donors to the Tory party throughout this pandemic, and without competition for the contracts.

Money to help the low paid through forced restrictions seems to be harder to find  it seems 🤔

7 minutes ago, Barack said:

Thinks he's some sort of Northern Baron.

They'll negotiate with individual leaders, who're not campaigning for the Labour job down the line again by proxy.

Another reason the Government wanted this to fail. 

9 minutes ago, jambostuart said:

What a nonsense from the government. Admit £60million is required at least to assist the city through restrictions but prepared to let folk suffer because the negotiations broke down.

Just like Brexit, the Tory's need to be scattered to the far corners of the world. Over privileged scum

Im sure Boris said he would do everything to help out the North in his election speeches

1 hour ago, jonesy said:

The rules are an absolute shambles, man.

I've just, in the last hour, had a conversation with a theatre nurse in London who ripped into the mask policy, saying that the shitty blue ones (the same ones clogging up the streets, bins and oceans now) that most folk wear are nothing but germ reservoirs and do nothing to prevent aerosols coming in or out. But hey, gotta wear one if I want to buy some beers on my way home.

The rules about who you can and cannot meet have been a farce from the beginning. Isolation and loneliness have probably killed/will probably kill as many people as CV19, but there aren't any government approved, daily trumpeted stats on those, are there? No, because the politicians (nor there slavish adherents) don't want to take responsibility for the fact that their 'measures' are ill-thought out and might, just might, cause more problems than they solve. Then there's the fact that I can still meet someone in a coffee shop and sit and share light-hearted banter, a latte and my virus with them, but we cannot do so in either of our homes. The rules are illogical if you care to actually think about them.

So, OBE, you can take your rules, your tabloid/social media style use of 'covidiots', your childish insults and shove them up your fat, hairy farter. Have a nice day, though :) 

Cannae make your mind up eh? Which is it, are they shite or do the collect germs like reservoirs? emmmmm!

The basic rules, the ones that the morons cant follow, "Hands - Face - Space"  are logical. Unfortunately, common sense is lacking in a big portion of our society.

Childish insults, aye ok! :biggrin2: You're assuming, not a lot of potatoes fall of my plate, I'm ungroomed and have bother with flatulence.

I am having a nice day, took the money at the golf, had a variety of Stewarts Ales and I've just taken delivery of a bucket of bitumen and a dozen ducks...the gun arrives tomorrow...

Stay safe jonesy.

Edited by OBE

Just now, The Real Maroonblood said:

Especially the so called ones on this thread.

Yeah there are a few. 

4 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Sorry, but you are talking absolute nonsense.  The vast majority of all Covid deaths, high 90% or so, have other underlying conditions so it's no shock that this study found the same. I will repeat for the last time and try to rearrange the words into something you may understand, allowing for any pedantic "errors":.  Based on the study carried out, half (OK, 46%) of over 65s (OK 56-99) that were in hospital WITH Covid, caught it IN hospital. Sturgeon refers to "admissions" when in reality, up to half of those may already have been admitted but caught Covid IN hospital. Hope that is clear and closes the matter.

You really don't understand much. You don't accept that the authors directly contradicted your assertion in their research findings.

The illogicality of your statements is breathtaking. You claim that half the people in hospital with covid caught it in hospital. That is true for this study but this study group is not representative of any wider group. Neither is it consistent with your earlier claim "Back in March/April 50% of over 65s that caught the virus, were infected in hospital." or your subsequent claim 46% of older patients who were in hospital, back then, were infected in hospital.  and now you offer us  "Based on the study carried out, half (OK, 46%) of over 65s (OK 56-99) that were in hospital WITH Covid, caught it IN hospital." You are still not right. The figures pertain only to the study and are not based on the study which is why the authors made this statement at the end  Our patient cohort represents some of the frailest members of society, at least 95% of whom had a significant co-morbidity. It is therefore not representative of all older people and must be contextualised as such.

I am confused by your notion that new daily figures for hospital admissions include people who have already been admitted. Would they physically remove people from the hospital with whatever their original ailment was and then relocate them to the Covid wards? Many patients have multiple illnesses when they come to hospital are you suggesting that these patients who subsequently contract Covid are technically or administratively classed as new admissions. It doesn't make sense. I don't believe it unless of course you can provide evidence for your claim. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic