Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

5 minutes ago, graygo said:

He's not spot on, not about the PPE situation in care homes anyway.

No I just wanted to post that “ spot on “ pic  lol 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

well that’s twice as much as nurses in NHS Lothian were getting tested in a community hospital,  caring for the elderly,  around 2 months ago, before the nurse I know went on maternity leave. 

Yes his husband was up to scratch with precautions as soon as he gets home strips off put his work clothes right in the washing machine etc 

18 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

My friends husband only gets tested twice per week at the nursing hone he works in. 

That's insufficient in my eyes. To expand my previous comment about live-in carers, if we treated a shift in a care home akin to a shift on the rigs, then we could achieve have a better closed system within care homes. It would mean a significant revamp in how we do things though, and for that reason such a change would probably not attract much support.

2 minutes ago, redjambo said:

They could try to keep each care home as isolated a system as possible by employing live-in carers for the actual hands-on work with the clients. The live-in carers would probably have to be tested a couple of times in isolation, within a special area of the care home, before being cleared for their however-many-days-it-is shift. Just an idea.

Yes Red you are now lumbered as the “ stats man “ predictive text nearly said “ Sti” man there too lol 

Just now, JamesM48 said:

Yes Red you are now lumbered as the “ stats man “ predictive text nearly said “ Sti” man there too lol 

As long as it steered away from "std man", I'm good. :)

53 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Yeah, , those lefties saved you and your fellow right wingers who bankrupted the world back in 2008.

But you're right, the Labour government should have left everyone to go bust, lose their house and whatever goes with it. 

Wait, we bailed them out and also allowed their mates to cash in on the debt. 🤔

Right wingers bankrupted the world? 

:rofl: 

2 minutes ago, redjambo said:

They could try to keep each care home as isolated a system as possible by employing live-in carers for the actual hands-on work with the clients. The live-in carers would probably have to be tested a couple of times in isolation, within a special area of the care home, before being cleared for their however-many-days-it-is shift. Just an idea.

Some care homes pretty much did this, the staff all stayed on-site, more than one home used tents for the staff to stay in, however that can only be seen as a short term solution I'd have thought, given that a lot of the staff have young families outwith the care home.

41 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

Pandemics happen, those in care homes are more susceptible to pandemics. Care home owners in the private sector should know this and expect shortages when pandemics occur. They need contingency plans. Instead they cut corners on training, pay very poor wages to their staff to maximise their profits which they pay in tax havens to avoid paying tax here. There is substantial evidence that much infection in private care homes was brought in by agency staff and others who travelled long distances and visited many homes because they couldn't recruit and retain local staff..

They have the audacity to constantly complain about not being provided with PPE despite the company who had the home in Skye where many residents died, making hundreds of millions of pounds in profit but paying nothing in tax. Despite this they were provided with ppe. PPE that had to be diverted from the NHS us putting additional strain on the NHS. The better homes would have been prepared. Profit is everything for some though and looking after patients and staff is clearly an afterthought.

Probably right wing care home owners. 

Excellent post Doug. 

4 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

If I ask Google "is the Earth flat" I'll have some **** telling me it is, grago, so I'll keep my own counsel.

Would we be in a 'second wave' if we hadn't artificially supressed the first one?

The terminology isn't an accident, and is frankly patronising to all of us.

👍

That's fine, cover your ears, shut your eyes and chant la la la if it makes you feel good to be right.

I did a Google search for "is the UK having a second wave?" and amongst the "yes" responders were -

The Telegraph

The Independent

Euronews

Boris Johnson

BBC

FT

New Scientist

None of whom I would describe as "flat earthers", maybe with the exception of BJ.

14 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

If I ask Google "is the Earth flat" I'll have some **** telling me it is, grago, so I'll keep my own counsel.

Would we be in a 'second wave' if we hadn't artificially supressed the first one?

The terminology isn't an accident, and is frankly patronising to all of us.

👍

Sorry, I missed the bit in bold.

Who knows? I personally think we would be.

5 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Some care homes pretty much did this, the staff all stayed on-site, more than one home used tents for the staff to stay in, however that can only be seen as a short term solution I'd have thought, given that a lot of the staff have young families outwith the care home.

Yup, we would have to move to employing folk for the hands-on care who would be willing to live on site for a multi-day shift. It would require a change in how we do things.

9 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Yup, we would have to move to employing folk for the hands-on care who would be willing to live on site for a multi-day shift. It would require a change in how we do things.

Or alternatively have homes separated into shielding residents and those who want hi Maje the choice not to shield but still have precautions for both 

22 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Do you think we'll see some data on how the current suppression measures are performing, particularly as we've shut down the two areas where the issue apparently was?

Hard to say.  It's pretty clear that measures have prevented the situation being even worse.  People go on about the apparent limited scale of spread attributed to hospitality compared to other settings and it's a reasonable point.  What must be remembered is what is easy and hard to control.  They can take control over pubs and restaurants and that's why they are picked on.  There is no practical way to control what people get up to in houses,  etc.  It's very difficult to take much control over supermarkets.  Hospitality and leisure settings might seem to be fairly safe but they're being picked on because they're an easy target.

3 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

This is what eventually happens when the virus spreads in the community, it gets into care settings and people start to die, that is a big jump in week 42

But nowhere near weeks 14-21.

14 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

well that’s twice as much as nurses in NHS Lothian were getting tested in a community hospital,  caring for the elderly,  around 2 months ago, before the nurse I know went on maternity leave. 

And NHS Borders.

I've said it before, care home staff being tested twice a week is twice more than Mrs JJ or any of her colleagues are being tested in the Borders General, in fact none of them have been tested since all this started and that's despite many of them working on covid positive wards and being in daily contact with covid patients.

Unless they display symptoms NHS Borders staff are not routinely tested, so nobody knows whose had it or might currently have it but are showing no symptoms and are working on a ward where they could potentially be spreading the virus to patients & other staff.

There is all this concern about care homes, with justification as nobody wants a repeat of what happened earlier this year, however the fear is that with all these resources being allocated to care homes, such as for example the testing of staff twice a week, that hospitals are being neglected, so to speak, and many fear that it's only a matter of time before there is a major outbreak at a hospital, then the shit will really hit the fan, because whilst there might be 20 or 30 people infected in a care home, in a hospital you could be looking at hundreds infected.

47 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Who has said genuinely open it all up without any sort of control or guidelines ? Probably no one ever. 

People do advocate a policy of opening back up to a large degree.   So called shielding of some people and everyone else free to do much more.  The obstacle is the scale of infections resulting in a huge swathe of the 40 to 65 range.  The probable scale of hospital demand makes it a redundant notion.  Simply too many numbers at once.  Our resources can only facilitate a regulated supply of people needing hospitalisation.   The NHS has to cope with everything else as well.   The hospitals are nearing capacity because they haven't been turned over to only covid.

You can't get a quart in a pint pot.  Or indeed a few gallons.

1 minute ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Restrictions in place for another week 

Youll be dancing a wee jig in your bedroom...

8 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

No and I think it will take us a good bit longer to get to the week 14 stage, hopefully things actually start to go the other way with the increased measures, but I'm not convinced they will

Today's figures would suggest you're right although it's still early.

1 hour ago, Victorian said:

He's got history of talking total bollocks to support a pre-determined agenda.  Nothing he says can be taken at face value.  He's probably latched on to some positive info re anti-virals and is touting them as some kind of universal panacea.  He can go and **** himself.

Or he has a vested interest, financially. 

manaliveits105

Well Nikola she runs a country

She runs Scotland and the Northern Isles

She makes a few of her people happy - oh

She dont care about the rest at all

Shes got a system they call nationalism

It keeps a brother in subjection

But maybe pressure can make Nikola see

How everyone could live as one 

Gimme hope Nikola

Hope Nikola

Gimme Hope Nikola 

Fore the morning come

Gimme hope Nikola

Hope Nikola

Hope open up the pubs !!

4 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

The world has passed 40 million cases 

Infections not cases and not deaths " mate"

4 minutes ago, graygo said:

To be honest they are still low compared to March/ April.

3 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Well Nikola she runs a country

She runs Scotland and the Northern Isles

She makes a few of her people happy - oh

She dont care about the rest at all

Shes got a system they call nationalism

It keeps a brother in subjection

But maybe pressure can make Nikola see

How everyone could live as one 

Gimme hope Nikola

Hope Nikola

Gimme Hope Nikola 

Fore the morning come

Gimme hope Nikola

Hope Nikola

Hope open up the pubs !!

Brilliant :) 

1 minute ago, jonesy said:

Playing devil's advocate for a second.

The money that was channelled into things like EOTHO and furlough could instead have been used to ramp up short-term care facilities for those with Covid. This would have allowed the majority of people to continue their lives in relative normality, making sensible decisions about contact with vulnerable people along the way.

Governments painted themselves into a corner with lockdown, because as soon as you open things up, numbers will inevitably rise. They're (and by extension, we're) now a victim of their own policy.

The virus wasn't the only thing suppressed in the spring, and lack of 'compliance' is an inevitable result of that. Further lockdowns = rinse and repeat. Short-termism at its worst.

and they could have pumped massive resources into those vulnerable shielding at home such as people going to the shops for them or offering other practical support as well as emotional support via telephone. 

Hugh Pennington suggesting anyone who tests positives goes straight to a hotel for 14 days quarantine.

People aren't self isolating in anything like the numbers when asked.

Again, sounds plausible if tests results can be immediate.

But again and he does agree, how do you get public buy in?

Just now, Konrad von Carstein said:

Well done, I don't think I've used this before...

:cornette:

Never seen it.

6 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

The world has passed 40 million cases 

Pneumonia affects 450 million worldwide each year. Reading out Covid only statistics each day has lulled people into thinking that deaths did not occur before Covid came along. 115k people die of respiratory illnesses each year in the UK and I'm sure would shock people if daily stats were read out.

13 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Oh well thats the kibosh on watching the Semi final in the pub..

TV in the garden, gazebo up, boys round and a few beers 😎

1 minute ago, Shanks said:

TV in the garden, gazebo up, boys round and a few beers 😎

That sounds a good plan..Ive not got a garden 🙂 

12 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Playing devil's advocate for a second.

The money that was channelled into things like EOTHO and furlough could instead have been used to ramp up short-term care facilities for those with Covid. This would have allowed the majority of people to continue their lives in relative normality, making sensible decisions about contact with vulnerable people along the way.

Governments painted themselves into a corner with lockdown, because as soon as you open things up, numbers will inevitably rise. They're (and by extension, we're) now a victim of their own policy.

The virus wasn't the only thing suppressed in the spring, and lack of 'compliance' is an inevitable result of that. Further lockdowns = rinse and repeat. Short-termism at its worst.

Very valid but we didn't have and unlikely ever will have a suitable test, protect; track and trace system in place.

If these had been in place sooner, maybe funds could have been diverted to encourage people to self isolate, when asked instead of running at is it, only 11% compliance in England.

That said, of course both parts of Ireland who claim to have T&T in place are now heading towards severe restrictions. 

Edited by DETTY29

Seymour M Hersh
4 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Our hospitality sector will remain shut as long as the west coast one does to deter pint tourists.

👍

It's still the the first wave, Seymour, it never went away.

Tbh Gov that's how I've perceived it. Their lockdowns, firebreaks, circuit breaks and whatever nippy ends up calling hers only kicks the can down the road. 

1 minute ago, Gone said:

Or mates

LOL smart arse...i do have some friends who put up with me...

56 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Or we take care of our own parents, like you do. People like to frown on the Pakistani community for having multi generations in the house. I think it should be the norm, where possible. 

Shanks said no
20 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

As Jason says there is a 3 week lag so it’s vitality important that EVERYONE follows the rules in place now 

Apart from your mp? 

3 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Tbh Gov that's how I've perceived it. Their lockdowns, firebreaks, circuit breaks and whatever nippy ends up calling hers only kicks the can down the road. 

Sometimes you can only kick the can down the road, until it's possible to put it in the blue bin. 

37 minutes ago, graygo said:

But nowhere near weeks 14-21.

31 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

No and I think it will take us a good bit longer to get to the week 14 stage, hopefully things actually start to go the other way with the increased measures, but I'm not convinced they will

22 minutes ago, graygo said:

18 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

To be honest they are still low compared to March/ April.

:interehjrling:

Seymour M Hersh
5 hours ago, kila said:

Yet hospital admissions and ICU numbers increasing daily...

Death count isn’t the only concern. Folk clogging up hospitals so they are limited in capacity to do other things is what we’re beginning to see again. 

But no second wave...?

That depends on their level of scaremongering. Deaths are all that count when it suits them. 

Pubs closed for another week. 

Nicola Sturgeon had no intentions of letting hospitality reopen after 2 weeks. Why couldn’t she just be upfront and honest and let businesses properly plan and prepare for this rather than making it up as she goes along. Not convinced at all that they will reopen on the 2nd either. 

Disgraceful way to treat the sector. Making it up as she goes along. 

Numbers have gotten worse as well since she has done it. 

Edited by AlimOzturk

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic