Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Shocking . Older adults have been so badly disrespected through this time and their views not been listened to .

These adults would not rather die from Covid. I know a couple of healthy guys who've had it. One ended up in hospital with a collapsed. A he was like you, covid this covid that. Now! He's telling everyone 'You don't want to catch this'. 

It’s easy enough protesting against things you don't like, that having affected /effected you, until it does. Then it's, aw Naw, can I take that back please. 

58 minutes ago, jonesy said:

More worried about the unsightly yellow ensemble that Kim (whoever she is) is wearing at her age.

Or the guy thinking that wearing a baseball cap means we can't see him staring at her arse.

Heartsmad1874
8 hours ago, SectionFJambo said:

Back in March it was unknown and people only saw the news etc.

Now 7 months on they have seen it first hand or I suspect rather have not and are a lot less placid re it's impacts.

I'd hazard a guess most people know no one who has died of it and very few people who have had it. 

7 months on and i don't know anybody who has had it/died from it.

10 hours ago, Weakened Offender said:

Yer erse, son. 

I rest my case.

Your like the big fat school bully, comes in full of bluster, shouts abuse, swing a few punches at the wee guys and ****s off without making a single intelligent point. 

8 hours ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

Australia is in its first recession since the 90s, but now has very little covid in the population. This means they have been able to ease restrictions and life is pretty free again, although internal travel to Queensland and WA is still off the cards, but that's up to them. In the longer term, you will probably see travel between countries with low covid numbers return, there's already a Hong Kong - Singapore bubble for example.

The "spoilt children" comment was in reference to the UK government and public unwillingness to really do the hard thing short term, to reap the potential benefit long term. The failure to close borders  to behave responsibly in public etc is baffling to watch from the outside  and is making things much worse in the long term.

That was my point 

You could be right but I'm still not convinced that withdrawing completely from economic and social life will do anything other than kick the can down the road. What we need is people to abide by the rules about Social distancing, personal hygiene, to use test and trace and to accept local lockdowns when they happen and the statistics show that they are necessary. You just need to read this thread to see that that isn't happening. 

The Mighty Thor

Genuine question.

Has there been any news on the impact of the last two sets of measures introduced?

Surely the numbers must be coming down given the SG restrictions targeted the two areas that were allegedly driving the virus growth; the home setting and hospitality?

9 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Genuine question.

Has there been any news on the impact of the last two sets of measures introduced?

Surely the numbers must be coming down given the SG restrictions targeted the two areas that were allegedly driving the virus growth; the home setting and hospitality?

It is an interesting one, the latest set of measure you would not expect to see results for a week or so I would have thought- however the mixing in homes should be showing now from my uneducated eye it seems to be on Lothian etc but I cant see as much in Glasgow.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-54606692

West Lothian in particular is seeing higher rates of coronavirus than other parts of the health board.

https://www.travellingtabby.com/scotland-coronavirus-tracker/local

this is a free sight with figures from ONS. if you look at local figures the above statement is pish. there are 7 health board areas with larger figures than west Lothian, the other higher ones are all in the west

Glasgow city 36 per 100k

north Lanarkshire 45

south Lanarkshire 45

west Lothian 21

that's the 3 worst in comparison.

when there was an outbreak in Aberdeen they were put in local lockdown, all travelling restricted. at the start of this second wave the figures clearly showed that Glasgow and Lanarkshire were the hotspots and there has been no mention of this in any media reports I've seen, nor has wee burnie mentioned it. they can lock down London, Manchester etc but here in Scotland its just like football when theres a problem in the west its out with the brush and heads in the sand time.

7 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Genuine question.

It's hard to tell if any are taking effect as they hardly give them time before moving onto more restrictions.Seemed to work in Aberdeen though.

The Mighty Thor
3 minutes ago, steve123 said:

It is an interesting one, the latest set of measure you would not expect to see results for a week or so I would have thought- however the mixing in homes should be showing now from my uneducated eye it seems to be on Lothian etc but I cant see as much in Glasgow.

2 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

It's hard to tell if any are taking effect as they hardly give them time before moving onto more restrictions.Seemed to work in Aberdeen though.

Which is why I posed the question. 

The restrictions and measures are being churned out with no apparent evaluation or reporting of their effectiveness. 

SG claims all its decisions are science/evidence based, however it appears the decisions taken are neither targeted nor specific. The sniper's rifle is in the locker and they're using the blunderbuss loaded with grape. 

That's why people are questioning decisions. Its not covid denying or underpaying the severity of what's happening. 

4 hours ago, vegas-voss said:

Now suggesting 6pm pub curfew

https://metro.co.uk/2020/10/19/pubs-should-have-6pm-curfew-as-10pm-closures-are-ineffective-13443162/?ito=push-notification&ci=42086&si=18171904

Will surely be a hell of a lot of landlords thinking what the hell is the point opening at all.

That is the point IMO. Make it so difficult to actually trade that there is no point in opening. That way, they don’t have to pay them money to stay closed and say they are trying to keep hospitality open. 

Well that test was nice. No wonder there's not more positive tests. 

Persistent coughing for the Mrs, flu symptoms for me, the coughs gradually coming. 

Nucky Thompson
1 hour ago, Victorian said:

A view from the frontline if the complacent can tear themselves away from the frantic quest to redefine what constitutes a positive case,  blah blah.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-54606692

They have one ward, ward 25 for covid patients in the whole hospital.

Just like the overrun ICU wards in Manchester which are at the exact same level as 2019.

I suppose, twisting the headline figures keeps the gullible on their toes

4 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

They have one ward, ward 25 for covid patients in the whole hospital.

Just like the overrun ICU wards in Manchester which are at the exact same level as 2019.

I suppose, twisting the headline figures keeps the gullible on their toes

You're the gullible one I'm afraid.  You only need read what the clinical director said to see the issues they face.  

5 minutes ago, Victorian said:

You're the gullible one I'm afraid.  You only need read what the clinical director said to see the issues they face.  

To be fair the clinical director as far as I know never stated how many beds there are in ward 25. It might help his case if he did. Of course it might also hinder it.

Apologies, the clinical director is a she.

Edited by graygo

These frontline workers and clinicians deal in realities and facts.  They don't have the luxury of complacency.  They can't cower under the bed to hope it all goes away on it's own.

2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

These frontline workers and clinicians deal in realities and facts.  They don't have the luxury of complacency.  They can't cower under the bed to hope it all goes away on it's own.

They're not at capacity in ward 25 yet, surely they can cope just now when they are below capacity otherwise it's false capacity.

No doubt if they exceed capacity they will do what they did without much delay in March and cancel non urgent treatments to free up bed space. 

Sounds like the sort of problem that goes away if you chuck enough money at it.

5 hours ago, vegas-voss said:

Now suggesting 6pm pub curfew

https://metro.co.uk/2020/10/19/pubs-should-have-6pm-curfew-as-10pm-closures-are-ineffective-13443162/?ito=push-notification&ci=42086&si=18171904

Will surely be a hell of a lot of landlords thinking what the hell is the point opening at all.

Never fails to amaze me how cavalier these b****** are about restrictions and making statements like this without evidence to back it up ! It’s people’s livelihoods we are dealing with 

9 minutes ago, graygo said:

They're not at capacity in ward 25 yet, surely they can cope just now when they are below capacity otherwise it's false capacity.

No doubt if they exceed capacity they will do what they did without much delay in March and cancel non urgent treatments to free up bed space. 

So we locked down to slow the virus yet were reassured there would definitely be a second wave from the science,which may potentially be worse than the first, yet in the preceding 6 months they didn't increase capacity and still have the single ward they used back in March and are now rushing around trying to create extra capacity?

Seems sensible.

Edited by Taffin

Nucky Thompson
13 minutes ago, Victorian said:

They face the same issues every Winter. The NHS has been neglected for years, long before covid came along.

The gullible are the ones who believe everything the government and their media puppets spoon feed them.

Just now, Taffin said:

So we locked down to slow the virus yet we're reassured there would definitely be a second wave which may potentially be worse than the first one yet in the preceding 6 months they didn't increase capacity and still have the single ward they used back in March and are now rushing around trying to create extra capacity?

Seems sensible.

You'd think the nhs was fatally underfunded or something. 

Francis Albert

Fans of the increasingly exotic Covid 19 language will be interested to hear that Belgium faces a "Covid tsunami". No mere waves now. Presumably this means whole populations will be wiped out in hours with little discrimination between young and old, fit and unfit, healthy and unhealthy, with massive destruction of infrastructure.

Incidentally Nicola last month cited Belgium as an example of how restrictions on hospitality including curfews seemed to have worked. Since then cases in Belgium have continued to soar at a faster rate than anywhere in Europe and are now running at 3 times the rate in Scotland. 

Edited by Francis Albert

9 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

You'd think the nhs was fatally underfunded or something. 

Yet money was found to make a number of nightingale hospitals that were then mothballed.

If the government can find money for furlough under the guise protecting the NHS they can find money to have scaled up operations for the second wave they reassured us was coming.

They bought time then pissed it all up the wall. That's why people find it hard to buy into their fire breakers and tiered strategies because they've demonstrated that they're using a completely scattergun approach and their measures are totally impotent in their management of the crisis.

Edited by Taffin

A Boy Named Crow
2 hours ago, SE16 3LN said:

You could be right but I'm still not convinced that withdrawing completely from economic and social life will do anything other than kick the can down the road. What we need is people to abide by the rules about Social distancing, personal hygiene, to use test and trace and to accept local lockdowns when they happen and the statistics show that they are necessary. You just need to read this thread to see that that isn't happening. 

Yup, which is kind of my point.  The government needs to impose the hard rules, but seems unable to. The public need to behave in a way that slows the virus, but again, seem unable to.  It's a shambles. 

12 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Never fails to amaze me how cavalier these b****** are about restrictions and making statements like this without evidence to back it up ! It’s people’s livelihoods we are dealing with 

People can retrain in other skills and get different jobs 

just like miners back in the day had to

17 minutes ago, Taffin said:

So we locked down to slow the virus yet were reassured there would definitely be a second wave from the science,which may potentially be worse than the first, yet in the preceding 6 months they didn't increase capacity and still have the single ward they used back in March and are now rushing around trying to create extra capacity?

Seems sensible.

I still think it's clinical director speak for "we need mair muney".

2 minutes ago, graygo said:

The clinical director spelled out the challenges they face.  Covid,  winter flu,  norovirus,  all the other things they need to deal with.  Let's try to remember we're not even in November yet.  These people need to plan ahead and anticipate dealing with increasing workload.

'But thur naw at capacity' is a remarkable bit of shortsightedness.  The point is that these people clearly believe that capacity will be reached and exceeded.  They don't have the luxury of living day to day and being satisfied that capacity has not been reached today.  For them there is a tomorrow and a next week and a next month.

6 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

There Are some days I find you quite entertaining and there are others days I find you a nippy b****** , today is the latter 

18 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

They face the same issues every Winter. The NHS has been neglected for years, long before covid came along.

The gullible are the ones who believe everything the government and their media puppets spoon feed them.

Hilarious.  I was listening to the real world workers.  Clinicians.  Unless of course the BBC and wee Krankie are forcing them to say these things.

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Well that test was nice. No wonder there's not more positive tests. 

Persistent coughing for the Mrs, flu symptoms for me, the coughs gradually coming. 

You been tested for Covid mate?

9 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Wow, just wow. You've posted some nonsense over the years but that might just be the most ignorant, uneducated, out of touch with reality one yet.

I'd say more but I fear a ban would result.

4 minutes ago, Victorian said:

The clinical director spelled out the challenges they face.  Covid,  winter flu,  norovirus,  all the other things they need to deal with.  Let's try to remember we're not even in November yet.  These people need to plan ahead and anticipate dealing with increasing workload.

'But thur naw at capacity' is a remarkable bit of shortsightedness.  The point is that these people clearly believe that capacity will be reached and exceeded.  They don't have the luxury of living day to day and being satisfied that capacity has not been reached today.  For them there is a tomorrow and a next week and a next month.

Surely all these face masks, pubs and restaurants being shut and ban on household gatherings will see a massive drop in winter flu and norovirus cases? Have they predicted that in their plans and if not, why not?

2 minutes ago, graygo said:

Surely all these face masks, pubs and restaurants being shut and ban on household gatherings will see a massive drop in winter flu and norovirus cases? Have they predicted that in their plans and if not, why not?

One would think so 

2 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Genuine question.

Considering hospitality wasn't really contributing to the spread, I don't expect to see improvements. I'm expecting an irrationally tougher lockdown without any sort of justification.

I live in a flat which is surrounded by other flats and have seen plenty of house parties on the go now, since no one can go out. Guy above me had a about 20 people in his gaff on Sunday night.

It was painfully obvious this would happen when you close pubs in Glasgow.

Just now, OmiyaHearts said:

Considering hospitality wasn't really contributing to the spread, I don't expect to see improvements. I'm expecting an irrationally tougher lockdown without any sort of justification.

I live in a flat which is surrounded by other flats and have seen plenty of house parties on the go now, since no one can go out. Guy above me had a about 20 people in his gaff on Sunday night.

It was painfully obvious this would happen when you close pubs in Glasgow.

Surely these house parties will have social distancing, everyone seated, wearing a mask if they need to use the toilet and will leave their contact details for track and trace just in case.

Oh wait, no, that's the pubs that were doing that wasn't it?

Francis Albert
5 minutes ago, graygo said:

I read that in Australia whose first Covid cases coincided with the onset of their winter, seasonal flu almost disappeared. 

2 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

U.K. challenge trials approved according to radio, this means will be given a covid vaccine and then purposely exposed to it to see if it works. 

👍 🤞

5 minutes ago, graygo said:

That's a possibility and makes a lot of sense.  What it isn't is a factor that can be relied upon in order to plan and forecast.  No sensible health professional would assume such a thing and anticipate accordingly.

1 minute ago, Francis Albert said:

I read that in Australia whose first Covid cases coincided with the onset of their winter, seasonal flu almost disappeared. 

Either that or people with flu also tested positive for Covid so that's what gets recorded.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic