Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

coconut doug
5 hours ago, doctor jambo said:

you are missing the point.

The piece is speculative, and has bound together some information about ICU patients, ventilated patients, COVID patients and non COVID patients and drawn conclusions that may or not be true, then thrown a dart at a board to come up with a figure to put to it.

That is not useful for any profession to do, let alone medicine- its utterly irresponsible- linking COVID to everything from dementia to cardiac failure.

We do know that COVID badly affects some people, thats true, but its not a doomsday virus by any stretch, though that appears to be the narrative from some people overly keen to see their names in print

The piece may be largely speculative but the basic assertion that people are damaged by Covid remains absolutely the case despite your pal saying otherwise and your attempt to trivialise the concern. 

What we do know is that the disease kills very few and that vast majority of the forty odd thousand deaths in UK. were hastened as a result of the Covid infection. We know this because of the excess death figures and comparison with other years. We also know that Covid affects much more healthy people and that it inflicts permanent damage on some of these people. We know too that the infection rate amongst the general population is still small maybe even in single figures and so the potential for further damage is substantial even if the numbers dying is considerably less than it was a few months ago. Deaths are increasing though as are the number of people in hospitals. The increase in deaths has to be because of increased infection rates a few weeks ago and  as we  have the highest infection rates now we can confidently expect that increase to be maintained. We can also expect a proportionate level of Covid related illness too despite repeated claims on here by some who deny any link.

That illness is not something conveniently or arbitrarily attributed to Covid. The damage Covid does to the human body is being revealed and so we know that there are direct effects on the lungs, kidneys and brain and probably other areas too.

What we do not know is how bad this effect will be. We should perhaps be basing our future policy around this issue and making greater efforts to quantify such effects. I understand that is very different from the hundreds of thousands of deaths predictions made by gov scientists but just because their numbers appear inflated it is not a reason to throw caution to the wind. This virus still has the potential to inflict much death and despair on us and as infection rates are high now it is surely in everybody's interest to abide by the rules as rigidly as possible. It looks like we are going to lose some of our current normality and this imo is at least partly due to those who wilfully do not follow the guidelines.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Re masks just spent almost 9 hours (in total)  travelling to  Tenerife wearing a surgical face mask (we change it after 4 hours) and apart from eating and drinking where obviously removed it we found it no problem at all. Yes we wish we didn’t have to but  compiling with the rules and knowing it makes a difference it was well worth the effort. 

Edited by Boy Daniel

8 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

Re masks just spent almost 9 hours (in total)  travelling to  Tenerife wearing a surgical face mask (we change it after 4 hours) and apart from eating and drinking where obviously removed it we found it no problem at all. Yes we wish we didn’t have to but  compiling with the rules and knowing it makes a difference it was well worth the effort. 

How long you over there for? 

Are a lot of places closed?

Although if you’ve no long arrived you might not have been out and about to know that yet 

Better no shut down boozers and restaurants.

I'm going to La Casa next Sunday. 😤

35 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

She doesn’t look anything like that now

That photos about 30 year old :lol:

Shooter McGavin

Businesses, the economy & peoples lives ruined over a virus that’s only a couple % more deadly than the flu.

Wowzers. 

Edited by Shooter McGavin

11 minutes ago, theshed said:

How long you over there for? 

Are a lot of places closed?

Although if you’ve no long arrived you might not have been out and about to know that yet 

We are here for 3 weeks at the moment.

We are very fortunate that we own our own apartment and yes it’s nice to go out and about to the tourist hot spots however we are happy to go to the non tourist bars and cafes. Although a some of them aren’t open. A lot of hotels are shut as there is no one coming.
A lot of places especially in the tourist areas are closed and a lot may never open again. 
The Canaries are desperate for people to come especially the Brits. They are doing everything possible to make it happen. The incidence of Covid is very low here thanks to the strict measures they have in place. And it is restrictive but it is worth it. 
Tropical storm tomorrow but it’s a lovely 24c so tomorrow we will probably crack a few beers and wine and relax. 

4 minutes ago, Jambo no 1 said:

We are here for 3 weeks at the moment.

We are very fortunate that we own our own apartment and yes it’s nice to go out and about to the tourist hot spots however we are happy to go to the non tourist bars and cafes. Although a some of them aren’t open. A lot of hotels are shut as there is no one coming.
A lot of places especially in the tourist areas are closed and a lot may never open again. 
The Canaries are desperate for people to come especially the Brits. They are doing everything possible to make it happen. The incidence of Covid is very low here thanks to the strict measures they have in place. And it is restrictive but it is worth it. 
Tropical storm tomorrow but it’s a lovely 24c so tomorrow we will probably crack a few beers and wine and relax. 

Love Tenerife and was out there last dec and this feb, weather was best I’ve had in last few years over there 

If I’ve still got a job after Covid And can keep saving for retirement I’d deffo spend a month over there in winter time 

Shame some places have closed but no surprise since they rely on tourist that aren’t there 

Enjoy 

Due to the disgraceful handling of this pandemic by WM and the Conservative and Unionist Party, I will no longer be voting for the CP or supporting the Union. 👍

🙄

😆

SNP and Yes voters defecting. 

:Aye:

:rofl:

Then there's Frank. 

Edited by ri Alban

11 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/scottish-news/6126178/coronavirus-scotland-lockdown-sturgeon-circuit-breaker/amp/

Article referred to by other poster stating lockdown for this week. Suggests lockdown will start Friday 7pm and will essentially be a staying at home order with travel restrictions being imposed. (Think a restriction on permitted travel distance will come in)

Just in time to **** up my weekend plans, They close the gym, I’m going to paint myself green and get very angry. 

Do any new restrictions need to be discussed at Holyrood? I thought a commitment was given but not 100% sure as it was one of those ‘yes, but.....’ answers 

Hopefully, we find out the plans today. 

It's probably easiest for everyone to shut down for the schools October break, if it's needed. I'm no expert, so I can't say either way. But what I do know is, If we just had all kept to the guidance, like sensible people and hadn't had others acting like virgins, we wouldn't be anywhere near lockdown. 

Edited by ri Alban

6 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

It's probably easiest for everyone to shut down for the schools October break, if it's needed. I'm no expert, so I can't say either way. But what I do know is, If we just had all kept to the guidance, like sensible people and hadn't had others acting like virgins, we wouldn't be anywhere near lockdown. 

I think we probably would. As long as people are mixing for work and travelling the length of country for it and then going to the pub/supermarket/petrol station/hotels etc then suppression probably isn't a viable solution.

Governor Tarkin
5 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

It's probably easiest for everyone to shut down for the schools October break, if it's needed. I'm no expert, so I can't say either way. But what I do know is, If we just had all kept to the guidance, like sensible people and hadn't had others acting like virgins, we wouldn't be anywhere near lockdown

If year aunty had baws ausseh.

This was always going to happen. The young team up my way haven't given a **** since the original lockdown began to ease. Not a single one. I'd imagine it's the same the country over.

9 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

If year aunty had baws ausseh.

This was always going to happen. The young team up my way haven't given a **** since the original lockdown began to ease. Not a single one. I'd imagine it's the same the country over.

This is demonstrated particularly clearly with the outbreaks at universities.   These clowns have gone to Uni to immerse themselves in the full student experience - why let the small matter of a pandemic get in the way of that?

Is this likely to be a lockdown of all non essential business? 

My workplace is meant to be covid secure (it’s not but it’s meant to be).

This could be disastrous for us.

2 minutes ago, The Roller said:

Is this likely to be a lockdown of all non essential business? 

My workplace is meant to be covid secure (it’s not but it’s meant to be).

This could be disastrous for us.

We will find out.

The unanswered questions are how are the Scottish Government planning on paying the wages of people if they prevent them from working?

Governor Tarkin
10 minutes ago, frankblack said:

This is demonstrated particularly clearly with the outbreaks at universities.   These clowns have gone to Uni to immerse themselves in the full student experience - why let the small matter of a pandemic get in the way of that?

The vans full of workies sitting outside Greggs at piece time don't seem to be keen or able to practice much social distancing either tbf.

6 minutes ago, frankblack said:

We will find out.

The unanswered questions are how are the Scottish Government planning on paying the wages of people if they prevent them from working?

Employers will be asked to re enroll employees to the furlough scheme, although I think from Oct 1st, employers must contribute 20% and the government pay 60%.

20% is still a lot of money if you have hundreds of employees and there’s zero output in return....

1 minute ago, The Roller said:

Employers will be asked to re enroll employees to the furlough scheme, although I think from Oct 1st, employers must contribute 20% and the government pay 60%.

20% is still a lot of money if you have hundreds of employees and there’s zero output in return....

Yes - not good at all.

Hopefully the SG won't go down this route as it would signal abject failure and complete lack of confidence of their handling of this crisis.

Ibrahim Tall
10 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

On the bright side China has low figures still and only about 4600 deaths - well done them

The benefit of actually controlling your borders and who enters the country tbh. Being an island we could easily have done the same. 

Some of the libraries, including the Central library are reopening today. Hopefully it's not shortlived. Their services have been missed too.

Ron Burgundy

If the SG know a lockdown is coming then they must let the public know ASAP as if they announce it last minute and people have already made plans they will ignore it. It's been rumoured for weeks so just announce the feckin thing.

Just now, Ron Burgundy said:

If the SG know a lockdown is coming then they must let the public know ASAP as if they announce it last minute and people have already made plans they will ignore it. It's been rumoured for weeks so just announce the feckin thing.

It will generally be ignored anyway mate. Lockdown fatigue.

General public are pissed off with their freedoms being eroded and people’s livelihoods destroyed for a virus that has little or no effect on 99.9% of the population. 
500,000 jobs are to be lost or have been lost already due to Covid.  Only the tip of the iceberg. There will be many many more.  That and the mental health of people will start taking effect if it hasn’t already.  

3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Due to the disgraceful handling of this pandemic by WM and the Conservative and Unionist Party, I will no longer be voting for the CP or supporting the Union. 👍

🙄

😆

SNP and Yes voters defecting. 

:Aye:

:rofl:

Then there's Frank. 

Hence why labour has taken over the lead in the polls in England 💁‍♂️ The SNP cant have it both ways. They are in charge of this as its devolved. I hope they can see sense as they have really lost their way at the moment.

Riddley Walker
22 minutes ago, graygo said:

I thought this was interesting until I did a wee bit of research into Colleen Huber, what a crackpot she is 

Love the disclaimer at the top about how it hasn't been peer-reviewed :lol:

JudyJudyJudy
13 minutes ago, GBJambo said:

General public are pissed off with their freedoms being eroded and people’s livelihoods destroyed for a virus that has little or no effect on 99.9% of the population. 
500,000 jobs are to be lost or have been lost already due to Covid.  Only the tip of the iceberg. There will be many many more.  That and the mental health of people will start taking effect if it hasn’t already.  

👍👍

Shooter McGavin
12 minutes ago, GBJambo said:

Two reasons people will ignore any new restrictions/lockdown:

Dominic Cummings & Margaret Ferrier

Governor Tarkin
10 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

I think this is fair comment, you could also point to people like Boris's dad and Margaret Ferrier and say it's not just a working class issue either. I've seen plenty of mummies down the park not anywhere near social distancing as well. So we can pretty much ignore the blame game.

But you're not ignoring the blame game, you're widening the finger pointing, which is fair enough.

JudyJudyJudy
13 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

I think this is fair comment, you could also point to people like Boris's dad and Margaret Ferrier and say it's not just a working class issue either. I've seen plenty of mummies down the park not anywhere near social distancing as well. So we can pretty much ignore the blame game.

Yes both. govt like the blame game . Suits them to have us all arguing amongst ourselves while our civil rights and liberties are being taken away , prob this Friday again . The people dismissing students in the blame game need a shake ! They are our future surgeons , GPS , etc they might help save your life One day 

Ron Burgundy
15 minutes ago, GBJambo said:

Agreed.

They can **** off with any more restrictions, I’ll use my common sense and be careful but they can bolt with everything else. 

Howdy Doody Jambo

So after a 2 week lockdown the virus will have ****de off, The powers don't have a scooby doo 

Keep Calm and Carry On, if it's alright for spreader Ferrier it's alright for the rest of us

Fakem 

Ibrahim Tall

Tbh I’ve understood or supported 99% of the restrictions but another lockdown is stupid. The only people that will actually follow the new ‘rules’ will be the same people that were distancing and wearing masks etc in the first place. The idiots having parties and doing what they wanted will continue to do so. It’s just damaging the economy and people’s mental health for no benefit now.

7 minutes ago, Ma Roon said:

So after a 2 week lockdown the virus will have ****de off, The powers don't have a scooby doo 

Keep Calm and Carry On, if it's alright for spreader Ferrier it's alright for the rest of us

Fakem 

Who said it was alright for Ferrier?

Howdy Doody Jambo

You have to question the clinical advice given to the Scottish Government is this the same virus as the rest of the UK? 

15 hours ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

The world is a weird place now where you can't even sit beside your family and console them after losing a loved one.

Perfect example of given an i ch and taking a mile. The rules are set beforehand. 1 son consoles the mother, the 2nd doesn't need to further break rules. You then see a 3rd guy decide **** it im doing that too and begins to move closer to someone else. Its a ****ing terrible situation but there are over 100k families who have had to go through this since it started and they all had to follow the same rules as far as we know.

13 hours ago, hmfcbilly said:

This, quite frankly is an utter disgrace. If a child can't console their parent whilst at the funeral of the other parent the world really is Donald ducked. If that was me I would happily take on the remote chance of catching covid if it meant consoling my mother over the loss of her husband and my dad. 

Would you be prepared to risk giving your Mum it though.

2 WHO experts were on Radio Scotland last week and their key message is that govts must take populations with them.

If not, then that country will never mitigate the risk of Covid until vaccine* or it miraculously runs it's course and dies out.

Interviewers tried to steer down the Sweden or New Zealand routes as which was best, but they weren't drawn in apart from saying it on the face of it, yes their populations have bought in to.

I think the UK is fecked, but whether that be scientists or politicians getting it dramatically wrong, or far too high a populus (and that only needs to be a low %age) with a nobody tells me what I can and can't attitude, god knows.

doctor jambo

Right.

Since Lockdown- now 200 days.

scotland has lost 2500 people who tested +ve for Covid in the previous 28 days.

Half of those deaths were in nursing homes (a unique setting that the people are never getting out of, so can be treated separately)

so there have been roughly 1200 Scots have died in 200 days of this pandemic (who are out and about in the community living their lives)

Thats a massive six a day since it began including peak earlier in the year.

Is the damage to society, economy and education worth it?

3 minutes ago, Ma Roon said:

You have to question the clinical advice given to the Scottish Government is this the same virus as the rest of the UK? 

Based on...

I see small nuances, but no dramatic differences.....

It's the politicians that look at the  scientic advice and modelling scenarios then decide which approach.

And despite the significantly differing political outlook across UK, it's only a small number of nuances.

4 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Right.

Half of those deaths were in nursing homes (a unique setting that the people are never getting out of, so can be treated separately)

so there have been roughly 1200 Scots have died in 200 days of this pandemic (who are out and about in the community living their lives)

Can you deduct the ones with comorbidities who may have had a short life expectancy anyway so that I can weigh up the real risk?

Fire_At_The_Disco

Disaster for me tbh, I have planed to put a roof on a new build next week that’s already months behind due to last lockdown. Weather looks perfect. If this happens it’s the small guys who will suffer. You could not get more socially distant than working on a 60m2 roof. 

9 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Right.

Can you add in those who never died but are now living with life long health problems?

Governor Tarkin
2 minutes ago, Tambo_The_Jambo said:

Disaster for me tbh, I have planed to put a roof on a new build next week that’s already months behind due to last lockdown. Weather looks perfect. If this happens it’s the small guys who will suffer. You could not get more socially distant than working on a 60m2 roof. 

Are the materials all on site?

Just get it done regardless, Tambo.

You know you're not in danger or putting anyone else at risk. Sometimes the law is an ass. 

heartstastic
54 minutes ago, graygo said:

I thought this was interesting until I did a wee bit of research into Colleen Huber, what a crackpot she is 

She may or may not be...does not dismiss the evidence in the study and i've seen the evidence in many others places about the lack of oxygen. The motor car is designed on the principles of the human body....it takes in air and has a respiratory system and expels waste from the exhaust. If you put something over that exhaust the car will eventually stop working.

Meanwhile people still continue listening and look up to clowns like this. I would urge you all to watch this speech from Boris at the United Nations from last year..if you think these people are out for your best interests i dunno what to say...this man is literally spelling out agenda 21 and there will still be people crying 'conspiracy theory'. If the population of the world let these maniacs carry out there plans well we'll get what we deserve and it won't be good news.

44 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Two reasons people will ignore any new restrictions/lockdown:

Dominic Cummings & Margaret Ferrier

The main reason people will ignore it is because we can see from the evidence, over the last 8 months , that Covid is nowhere near the threat it was made out to be. Back in March, the govt led psychological scaremongering campaign worked but now, most of us know what basic precautions we need to take to reduce  Covid to no more than a low risk threat among many others that we already deal with in life. Nothing to do with Cummings.

Governor Tarkin
2 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Can you add in those who never died but are now living with life long health problems?

How many is that then? 

Figures mind, none of the anecdotal stuff from the media or snippets from select medical articles.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic