Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Dagger Is Back
56 minutes ago, Cade said:

Trump threatens sanctions on India and forces them to allow export of that hydroxychloroquine drug that he's convinced himself is a cure for Covid-19 despite no medical evidence.

He's so vain that he's desperate to flood the USA with this unproven drug so that when the outbreak naturally slows down of its own accord, he'll then claim it was him and his big brain and that drug that did it.

He also has a small financial interest in the manufacturer if reports are to be believed

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, BlackJAC? said:

There really are some utter welts out there still.

Went to the garage this morning because it looked empty to get a coffee.  As I was waiting for the coffee, a women that must have been in her 50's came in.  Heard her talking to the cashier, then the next thing i know, she is breathing down my neck waiting for her turn on the machine. Even without all this **** going on, I would have still said something had the person invaded my personal space like that. Such as asking her "is there a problem" etc.  She was so close, I felt her brushing against me when she was stood behind me.

I turned around and asked her to step back.  The garage was empty apart from me, her and the cashier. She looked at me and did nothing.  I then asked her again in a raised voice if she would step back,  She took one step back, then the cashier came and asked her to stand on the 2m tape.  She did, but said nothing.  She had stepped out of a brand new Range Rover, so she wasn't some thick as **** druggie from some estate and she sounded well spoken from the conversation she had had with the cashier.

None bigger than David Icke.

1 minute ago, Dazo said:

Maybe needlessly going into the garage was your warning sign unless going for a coffee is essential at this time is it ? 🙄

It's literally right across the road from me (Musselburgh), empty and I needed bog roll which they still have and other places don't.  Had it just been to get a coffee, then yeah, I would say the same.

Just now, Shanks said:

Thanks for the reply, very informative.

Its still pretty concerning that we haven't been able to/ haven't bothered to successfully create a vaccine for any coronavirus.  A bit of an unknown but what other choice do we have?  

An interesting question to ponder is that once we develop a vaccine, which I consider very likely, what are the anti-vaxxers going to do? A tough decision - Ideology or life? I presume that many if not most will refuse to be vaccinated in the hope that a sufficient number of other people will be vaccinated in order to achieve the desired herd immunity. But will governments make the vaccine obligatory in order to ensure its success? Will folk be concerned about side-effects (without fail there will be 5g-like campaigns against the vaccine)? Of course, this all lies in the future, but at some point this will all be the subject of the day.

2 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

None bigger than David Icke.

Have just been reading about his youtube "show", where he said that the vaccine when developed would include nanotechnology microchips that would allow us to be controlled....utter welt that he is.

4 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Quite like the way Kenya promote social distancing

92458157_10158369421862249_5844349522234310656_n.jpg

:D That's a cracker.

4 minutes ago, PortyJambo said:

Have just been reading about his youtube "show", where he said that the vaccine when developed would include nanotechnology microchips that would allow us to be controlled....utter welt that he is.

Heard it on the news. He's also pushing the 5G lies. YouTube are about to take him down. 

He's just trying to cash in again, from the headbangers.

Just now, Cruyff said:

For some folk it may be only 1-14 days. 

Ding ding ding!

In the left corner we have JKB's one and only Cruyff!

In the right corner we have the international health body, full of scientists, tasked with combatting COVID-19!

Now WHO am I going to believe?

10 minutes ago, BlackJAC? said:

It's literally right across the road from me (Musselburgh), empty and I needed bog roll which they still have and other places don't.  Had it just been to get a coffee, then yeah, I would say the same.

You do make a valid point about people not giving a **** and completely ignoring the advice. I Know it can sometimes be tricky but I just don’t get why people don’t try their best. 

Leaving the house to buy a coffee though. 😂

1 minute ago, redjambo said:

Ding ding ding!

In the right corner we have the international health body, full of scientists, tasked with combatting COVID-19!

I get you, bud. But these same scientists told us Tobacco was safe.

6 minutes ago, PortyJambo said:

Who needs a microchip . Anyone who has a smartphone is already open to be monitored to the extent he’s talking about, in fact a big part of China’s strategy to trace infected people was tracking from mobile phone masts (might have been South Korea but one of those two)

Not the same ones at all.

9 minutes ago, Shanks said:

Thanks for the reply, very informative.

Its still pretty concerning that we haven't been able to/ haven't bothered to successfully create a vaccine for any coronavirus.  A bit of an unknown but what other choice do we have?  

Vaccine creation would probably go on demand, i.e if it looks like a virus was around for long term then research would go into it

Here is a paper on vaccine creation from the original SARS outbreak https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3371787/ it seemed to be quite problematic and as it just seem to die down itself it was probably shelved.

SARS-COV-2 vaccine development is well underway with at least 6 on the go just now 

Seriously, ri? That sort of argument is straight out of the Icke handbook.

So, when did WHO tell us that tobacco was safe?

26 minutes ago, BlackJAC? said:

What shop was it in Musselburgh mate?. 

highlandjambo3
1 hour ago, Tommy Brown said:

With all due respect Red. Not having a pop.

Worldwide figures are too distorted by poor data throughout.

China debatable.

UK, unreliable.

Is there not differing strains about also?

Prefer to look at major European, USA. And get a feeling from there.

Italy is definitely got on a better trajectory, but Spain, France and USA on a horrible similar.

I honestly believe we will follow, but data is suspect to prove it. ie deaths not always being attributed to covid-19, we still report low critical, imo too low to believe. Germany also.

Tin hat on.

India...... one of the most populated countries in the world (just a smidgen behind China) is very quiet at the moment.  More people in Deli than the population of the UK.....social distancing, I doubt it.

20 minutes ago, BlackJAC? said:

A couple of wee coughs might've rocked the bint back on her heels.

I've not read all this yet as its just been passed on to me from a colleague but looks very interesting  - this was submitted before the COVID-19 outbreak (but only recently published)

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(20)30123-7/fulltext

Pathogen X could be any pathogen including but not limited to viruses, bacteria, fungi, parasites, or prions. Of the 400 emerging infectious disease events recorded since 1940, bacteria (including rickettsia) account for 54%, whereas viral or prion pathogens (25%), protozoa (11%), fungi (6%), and helminths (3%) are less common.2

Although viral pathogens represent a small proportion of the pathogens that account for emerging infectious disease events, the most devastating recent emergence events—namely, HIV, influenza H1N1 and H5H1, severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus, Lassa virus, Ebola virus, and Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus—have involved RNA viruses.3,  4

They can replicate in numerous host species, and their error-prone reverse transcriptase enables high mutability resulting in the evasion of host responses. Further, 94% of zoonotic viruses affecting humans are RNA viruses. 5,  6

This zoonotic transmission often occurs where human activities take place in a landscape of wildlife, insect, and microbial diversity.7

Their emergence is largely driven by anthropogenic changes; as humans alter their patterns of land use for agriculture, trade, livestock rearing, and travel, these pathogens have an opportunity to cross species and establish localised emergence. A synergy of enhanced virulence and population dynamics act to drive transmission from these self-limiting emergence events into sustained person-to-person transmission. Thus, pandemic emergence is assumed to be likely to occur because of the following risk factors: human activities near wildlife, creation of animal source foods with little monitoring of employees and a poorly understood supply chain, insect and tick vectors, extreme population density, and constrained surveillance and laboratory capacity. 8, 9,  10

Consequently, we can hypothesise that the advent of a catastrophic outbreak involving Disease X is likely to result from the zoonotic transmission of a highly virulent RNA virus11

from an area where a convergence of risk factors and population dynamics will result in sustained person-to-person transmission. This premise does not negate the need for measures against other types of pathogens of pandemic importance, but the work on Disease X that we have done is modelled on the development of medical countermeasures against this particular pathogen archetype. However, the development of medical countermeasures does not demand that the epidemiology of Disease X is known, and many conserved elements of product development remain that do not vary on the basis of established pathophysiology or epidemiology. In the first instance, development of medical countermeasures for Disease X will inevitably include plans to detect cases and mobilise the movement of samples and data to developers.

27 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Ding ding ding!

I think you will find that 1-14 days is merely taken from a median average. 

Previously to that during the early on set in China, WHO said it was 2-10 days from their Median Average.

So clearly that median average has risen as more people become infected. 

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-incubation-period/

Edited by Cruyff

9 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

I think you will find that 1-14 days is merely a median average. 

Previously to that during the early on set in China, WHO said it was 2-10 days from their Median Average.

So clearly that median average has risen as more people become infected. 

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-incubation-period/

No, it is not a median average. It is a range created by considering the underlying stats. Any reports of incubation periods outwith the range should be considered as improbable (or even very improbable) outliers.

The page to which you linked mentions one case of 27 days, one case of 19 days, and one case of 24 days (which WHO said might be a second exposure), full stop. This indicates that, with our current knowledge, almost all cases lie between 1 and 14 days.

Edited by redjambo

No, it is not a median average. It is a range created by considering the underlying stats. Any reports of incubation periods outwith the range should be considered as improbable (or even very improbable) outliers.

The page to which you linked mentions one case of 27 days, one case of 19 days, and one case of 24 days (which WHO said might be a second exposure), full stop. This indicates that, with our current knowledge, almost all cases lie between 1 and 14 days.

So it can have an incubation period up to 30 days?? 

Aye? 

Cheers. 

1 minute ago, Cruyff said:

So it can have an incubation period up to 30 days?? 

Aye? 

Cheers. 

Bloomin' heck. :D In one case, an incubation period of 27 days was found, but WHO considers it likely to be a second exposure.

Your original comment that "The incubation period for this thing is like a month." is incorrect, it is 1-14 days. Outliers always exist.

However, I see that I could argue my point until I'm blue in the face and you still wouldn't accept that reality, so hey ho, I'll leave it there.

Bloomin' heck. :D In one case, an incubation period of 27 days was found, but WHO considers it likely to be a second exposure.

Your original comment that "The incubation period for this thing is like a month." is incorrect, it is 1-14 days. Outliers always exist.

However, I see that I could argue my point until I'm blue in the face and you still wouldn't accept that reality, so hey ho, I'll leave it there.

It can be for a month. Is that incorrect? Clearly not.

You can believe what WHO say after they have parroted Chinese Propaganda and figures which has led to a Global Pandemic all you want. 

Bolsonaro climbs down from his threat to fire his Minister of Health.

Various members of his own party and Army chiefs blocked him.

He's lost a huge chunk of authority by acting like a baby and trying to fire the Minister of Health simply because he wasn't agreeing with Bolsonaro that Covid-19 is only the flu and that media reports on the disease were a secret plot to overthrow him.

:gocompare:

Just now, Cruyff said:

It can be for a month. Is that incorrect? Clearly not.

You can believe what WHO say after they have parroted Chinese Propaganda and figures which has led to a Global Pandemic all you want. 

Aha, so that's what this is all about. :biggrin2:

I knew that it would be hard for someone to be that obtuse or obstinate.

5 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Aha, so that's what this is all about. :biggrin2:

I knew that it would be hard for someone to be that obtuse or obstinate.

So believe China is telling the truth about timescale and figures and WHO were right to back that up?

Is that why WHO were late in declaring a global pandemic? 

Edited by Cruyff

2 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Pretty embarrassing that we don’t have a process in place to cover weekends 🤦‍♂️

It's supposed to be sorted now - we'll see what next weekend brings.

You're right though, you would have thought that we would have sorted this out before now.

11 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Pretty embarrassing that we don’t have a process in place to cover weekends 🤦‍♂️

Pretty embarrassing that we can't test anyone outwith hospital, when other country's are. 

Edited by Bongo 1874

11 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Pretty embarrassing that we can't test anyone outwith hospital, when other country's are.

Regarding deaths, yes.

However, in some cases we are testing NHS staff (and relevant family members) stuck at home who are showing symptoms.

Bindy Badgy
48 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

India...... one of the most populated countries in the world (just a smidgen behind China) is very quiet at the moment.  More people in Deli than the population of the UK.....social distancing, I doubt it.

It'll be carnage when it rips though the slums in Dehli and Mumbai. You have entire families living in one room houses that are smaller than my bedroom. Added to the that, the sanitation and general hygiene practices are appalling. 

1 hour ago, redjambo said:

There was a large jump today in the Scottish figure for deaths due to coronavirus from 222 to 296.

However, do remember that the stats were limited at the weekend due to reporting and that, effectively, imo, Saturday to Tuesday should all be considered together and averaged out. Hopefully the new measures in place will reduce such "weekend anomalies" in future.

'Assumed' Care homes notably and community deaths will start to be added in too as part of the revised approach.

Edited by DETTY29

SwindonJambo
1 hour ago, Dagger Is Back said:

He also has a small financial interest in the manufacturer if reports are to be believed

He becomes more of a caricature of himself every day. If he got an arsehole transplant, the arsehole would reject him. And very quickly. 

Unknown user
9 minutes ago, Stokesy said:

It'll be carnage when it rips though the slums in Dehli and Mumbai. You have entire families living in one room houses that are smaller than my bedroom. Added to the that, the sanitation and general hygiene practices are appalling. 

Anyone who's been has surely been having the same grim thoughts, it really is scary to think about. 

2 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Lots of government decisions are and have always been taken based on a monetary value of life basis, here and elsewhere and under governments of every political persuasion. We could save lives by investing huge amounts of money on all sorts of things but judgments have to be made on how much and on what including on improving the quality of peoples' lives as well as prolonging it. 

Welcome to the real world.

Yes but those are choices based on few lives, not a freakin pandemic!! People with Motor Neuron Disease tend to resent how little Govts allocate to saving them, but this is diffent scale entirely, not to mention much more random...

Edited by Spellczech

1 minute ago, DETTY29 said:

'Assumed' Care homes notably and community deaths will start to be added in too as part of the revised approach.

Yes, they will. A study has shown that these only account for 5% of total coronavirus-related deaths though (sorry, I've forgotten where I read that), as far as we can tell without extensive testing of all those deceased, so that won't make a significant difference to the stats.

16 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Regarding deaths, yes.

However, in some cases we are testing NHS staff (and relevant family members) stuck at home who are showing symptoms.

How do you accurately count cases then mate, I'm not believing that everyone that phones, nhs 111 is admitted to hospital and tested Infact I know because I've phoned. 

So how do they truly report cases? 

Just now, Bongo 1874 said:

How do you accurately count cases then mate, I'm not believing that everyone that phones, nhs 111 is admitted to hospital and tested Infact I know because I've phoned. 

You have to have a car to get tested. One of my wife's colleagues got symptoms but because he doesn't drive he cannot get to the test centre so is self-isolated. NHS loses an experienced nurse for at least a fortnight because he travels to work by bus.

Just now, Bongo 1874 said:

They can't, Bongo, in effect and in my opinion. We simply have no idea how many folk are really infected. Sadly, the deaths figure is as close as we are going to get to having an idea of whether we're defeating this or not, although hospital admissions would also be an indicator (i.e. cases where it gets bad enough that some form of hospital treatment is required, no matter the outcome of that treatment) - and the latter only holds up as long as we have capacity.

1 minute ago, Spellczech said:

You have to have a car to get tested. One of my wife's colleagues got symptoms but because he doesn't drive he cannot get to the test centre so is self-isolated. NHS loses an experienced nurse for at least a fortnight because he travels to work by bus.

Are you sure i know that's what is happening in England, is it the same here too?. 

1 minute ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Are you sure i know that's what is happening in England, is it the same here too?. 

Edinburgh

Jambo-Jimbo
6 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

You can't and it's not just the UK, there is no country on Earth which knows the full extent of the number of cases they have of this virus.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic