Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

7 minutes ago, Cade said:

Even Whitty and Valance seem at a loss for what to do.

"We want to flatten the curve but we're not there yet but we think it's working but we're not sure and we can't relax things until we flatten the curve but things might get worse but we can't stay on lockdown too long"

Pick the feckin bones out of that shite.

"See where we are in 2 weeks. Meantime the NHS has not been overwhelmed."

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, Spellczech said:

Yes but those are choices based on few lives, not a freakin pandemic!! People with Motor Neuron Disease tend to resent how little Govts allocate to saving them, but this is diffent scale entirely, not to mention much more random...

These other decisions often involve many more lives in the long run. Certainly not a few lives as you suggest.

The underlying principle is the same and inevitable in the real world. 

4 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

"See where we are in 2 weeks. Meantime the NHS has not been overwhelmed."

That's the great news in Italy they seemed overwhelmed pretty quick

5 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

Because he isn't in charge, he is over seeing what's going on. He not going to start changing direction, hiring and firing etc. He is a stand in. Just like any other business when the boss is away. Made up problems.

He is in charge and will be for a few weeks at least.    If he isn't in charge then things are much worse than we thought.    

8 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

Again with the repeated questions. Today's made up problem is Raab doesn't have overall responsibility. 

7 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Good back up team Boris has there 

Raab Hancock and Sunak very impressive considering their inexperience or indeed anyone’s experience of this situation 

Dominic Cummings along with the Chief Scientist and Chief Medical Officer are in charge. 

Francis Albert
4 minutes ago, Cade said:

The Tory party is a hollowed out shell populated by brainless automatons.

Next 5 years are going to be hilarious.

Glad someone is happy.

Just now, vegas-voss said:

That's the great news in Italy they seemed overwhelmed pretty quick

On the graph London ICU beds up from 800 to 1200.

I’ve perhaps missed it. The figures being reported as U.K. wide deaths are being reported as ‘deaths in hospitals’.

As of last week the Scottish government reported deaths in care homes and deaths at home as part of their daily totals.

Is it just the case that the information in England will take longer to gather?

Edited by The Roller

A special advisor cannot be left with or assume practical charge of the government.    There's another tranche for the inquiry.    

15 minutes ago, flecktimus said:

TBH i haven't a clue how this is going to work out.

The truth is nobody does including the experts. Just some of the many basic questions we don't yet have answers to:

Do warmer temperatures have much of an affect on the virus?

How long will it be before we have an accurate anti-body test?

Are people who have the virus definitely immune from getting it again?

If so, how long does that immunity last?

How long before we have a vaccine?

Is 2m a safe distance for avoiding spread of the virus?

Why do some people's (otherwise healthy) immune systems seem to react much worse than others?

etc. etc.

6 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

These other decisions often involve many more lives in the long run. Certainly not a few lives as you suggest.

The underlying principle is the same and inevitable in the real world. 

Well I'm guessing Boris Johnston would love to press restart on Jan-Mar right now. When it gets personal, the economist's view becomes somewhat irrelevant...

2 minutes ago, The Roller said:

I’ve perhaps missed it. The figures being reported as U.K. wide deaths are being reported as ‘deaths in hospitals’.

As of last week the Scottish government reported deaths in care homes and deaths at home.

Is it just the case that the information in England will take longer to gather?

As far as I can see, England do not include deaths outside hospitals in the daily stats, but the UK-wide figures do include such deaths if provided by the other nations e.g. Scotland.

See Notes on death figures:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-information-for-the-public

Pasquale for King
25 minutes ago, Ricardo Shillyshally said:

I realised it over 10 years ago. He struck it lucky when with BBC during the financial crisis, but has been unwatchable since then.

I don't think it's anything to do with "this government". It's all about Peston

Thankfully I’ve only really had to suffer him in recent years.

Francis Albert
3 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Well I'm guessing Boris Johnston would love to press restart on Jan-Mar right now. When it gets personal, the economist's view becomes somewhat irrelevant...

For all Johnson's many faults I doubt very much his view of Jan-March is based on his current personal circumstances.

26 minutes ago, Victorian said:

We have a temporary head of government who cannot say who is in charge.   Everything is decided by collective responsibility.

When pressed on the 100k test promise,   he ended ny calling it "the Health Secretary's target".

Pathetic.   Weak.    Dishonest.

It's pathetic that:

Firstly, there isn't a formal Deputy Prime Minister

And secondly he didnt just say 'I am'

10 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

For all Johnson's many faults I doubt very much his view of Jan-March is based on his current personal circumstances.

Of course not. It is the other way round. His current circumstances reflect his carefree attitude in Jan-Mar - shaking hands with Covid patients...There is a guy on the News right now called Imran Hamid who has just said " I did not take this seriously enough"

2 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

It's pathetic that:

Firstly, there isn't a formal Deputy Prime Minister

And secondly he didnt just say 'I am'

You have to ask why.    I'm afraid the indications are that the government is dysfunctional.    Not a political point.    

I think Raab is reluctant to have the official responsibility and they don't want to make any moves to firm up a more functioning chain of command while the PM's status is unknown.     They're basically on auto-pilot.

Just realised that the repeated questions at the press conferences are so the reporter can show themselves asking the big question on their own channels news later that evening. 

BBC and ITV both asking the same questions day after day, to then show themselves asking the big question. Highjacking the national conference for their own benefit. Awful stuff.

2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

You have to ask why.    I'm afraid the indications are that the government is dysfunctional.    Not a political point.    

I think Raab is reluctant to have the official responsibility and they don't want to make any moves to firm up a more functioning chain of command while the PM's status is unknown.     They're basically on auto-pilot.

The last thing you want, of course, in a dynamic crisis.

March 3rd:

“I’m shaking hands,” Johnson said when asked how he planned to handle visiting dignitaries.

“I was at a hospital the other night where I think a few there were actually coronavirus patients and I shook hands with everybody, you’ll be pleased to know, and I continue to shake hands.

April 6th:

Boris in ICU with Covid-19

:vrface:

Edited by Cade

1 minute ago, redjambo said:

The last thing you want, of course, in a dynamic crisis.

Which is why that's not happening, I think you will find they are working their arses off and making big decisions on an hourly basis.

Seymour M Hersh
3 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

Just realised that the repeated questions at the press conferences are so the reporter can show themselves asking the big question on their own channels news later that evening. 

BBC and ITV both asking the same questions day after day, to then show themselves asking the big question. Highjacking the national conference for their own benefit. Awful stuff.

Echo chamber journalism at it's worst. 

2 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

Which is why that's not happening, I think you will find they are working their arses off and making big decisions on an hourly basis.

I hope that is the case, JP. The reality is that none of us on the outside really know. However, you most definitely need someone to be in charge in any organisation and to be the ultimate decision maker, imo, so I hope that Dominic Raab is acting as if he were actually the Prime Minister, no matter what the cabinet's internal politics may be.

1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

It’s a great idea, I don’t drive can someone give me a lift?

You will unfortunately get a few hypochondriacs that go regularly because they’re determined that they’ve have it. 

Can only go if you are referred by Gp or Nhs111 otherwise you are fecked, can't just show up. 

Pasquale for King
9 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Can only go if you are referred by Gp or Nhs111 otherwise you are fecked, can't just show up. 

That’s the way it should be, great initiative.

joondalupjambo
1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

Chris Whitty accepts Germany has done better at testing and they aim to "learn the lessons". 

That was the big one for me in today's UK briefing.  Why is Germany on a lower projectory, because they tested early and a lot.  I thought that was a real pointed remark by him.  

He could have easily fudged the answer but he gave it both barrels.  That has been the Achilles heal and he knows it.  I bet he has been advising for years that if something hit we were not preparing enough and I think he does not want the s##t hitting him when this is over.

Did you see how he was eye balling Raab more or less throughout the briefing?  Defo something up today behind the scenes with at least those two being involved.

Nucky Thompson
27 minutes ago, Cade said:

March 3rd:

“I’m shaking hands,” Johnson said when asked how he planned to handle visiting dignitaries.

“I was at a hospital the other night where I think a few there were actually coronavirus patients and I shook hands with everybody, you’ll be pleased to know, and I continue to shake hands.

April 6th:

Boris in ICU with Covid-19

:vrface:

I think there are a hell of a lot people who have got a totally different attitude to Covid 19 now than they did on March 3rd. Me included

Just now, Nucky Thompson said:

I think there are a hell of a lot people who have got a totally different attitude to Covid 19 now than they did on March 3rd. Me included

you just need to look at the people that thought the football would be close to being back on by now. and that this is just a flu it will be fine

Jambo-Jimbo
9 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

8 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

you just need to look at the people that thought the football would be close to being back on by now. and that this is just a flu it will be fine

You could still go to Italy on holiday on the 3rd March, their Nationwide lockdown didn't start until the 9th March.

The World has changed immeasurably since the 3rd March and the advice has changed almost day by day from then.

20 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

Pure pie in the sky thoughts those were

Trump is just incredible he tells folk in these press conferences to stay home self isolate and then today he has tweeted for the people of Wisconsin to get out and vote to protect the 2nd amendment.

33 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Much easier to criticise with the benefit of hindsight though. 

Ehllhayapeh
8 hours ago, Stokesy said:

Guns N Roses headlined a festival there last month, which won't have helped matters. The event should have been cancelled. God only knows what made GNR and the organisers think it was OK to go ahead.

And there was 8 million women marching against femicide in the city early on in the crisis.

I cant say that was a good idea either!

John Findlay
1 hour ago, Cade said:

The Tory party is a hollowed out shell populated by brainless automatons.

Next 5 years are going to be hilarious.

You really think any other party in government would have done better?

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, jambopilms said:

Agreed. It is not about reporting or getting news. It is all about self important media whores getting their personal appearance on national news and their employers pushing their "stars" like Kuensberg and Peston.

And I repeat an earlier point. We are told to stay home yet dozens of reporters and cameramen are ensconced outside St Thomas's Hospital. For what purpose? To get a shot of a body bag being removed?

Edited by Francis Albert

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, Spellczech said:

Of course not. It is the other way round. His current circumstances reflect his carefree attitude in Jan-Mar - shaking hands with Covid patients...There is a guy on the News right now called Imran Hamid who has just said " I did not take this seriously enough"

I was replying to your suggestion in relation to Johnson that "when it gets personal" the economics/expert views go out the window. I find it difficult in that context to read your suggestion that he would want to rewind January/March other than he would like to do so because of his personal circumstances. Apologies if I misinterpreted.

And let's just imagine for one moment the reaction if he had isolated himself earlier before he contacted the virus and not visited hospitals or interacted with doctors and nurses. FFS there were even conspiracy theories that the story about his contacting the virus was a ploy to avoid accountability and questioning.

Dagger Is Back
3 hours ago, SwindonJambo said:

He becomes more of a caricature of himself every day. If he got an arsehole transplant, the arsehole would reject him. And very quickly. 

:4_1_72:

Montgomery Brewster
1 hour ago, jambopilms said:

The question I wish some cretin would ask

‘ theres x thousand people tested and y people infected - what the feck disease / illness do these negative cases have ‘ 

they can’t all have flu ? 

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
7 minutes ago, Montgomery Brewster said:

‘ theres x thousand people tested and y people infected - what the feck disease / illness do these negative cases have ‘ 

:lol:

its a fair question too - who are they testing

10 minutes ago, Montgomery Brewster said:

:)

The sort of respiratory problems elderly folk and folk with underlying respiratory issues go into hospital all the time for, I would imagine.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic