Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

1 hour ago, OmiyaHearts said:

Where are all these dentist / doctor issues happening?

I've not had any problems getting NHS dentist or doctors appointments in the last 12 months in Glasgow.

I've only had to go to docs once but I had a phone interview on the scheduled date/time and then got face to face a day after. I've also been to the dentists a 3 or 4 times, as I have dental cover and I take advantage of it.

I’ve not spoken to anyone in Edinburgh who hasn’t had issues to varying levels with nhs dentists. Can’t speak for doctors personally because I use our private healthcare go service for my gp needs. Me wife has used a mixture as she likes her gp and while not pre covid service levels it went reasonably smooth. 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

China getting hit bad the now, watching a report on CNN and the reporter was saying that there were estimated to have been 250 million covid infections since the start of the month, although China has now stopped releasing daily infection figures, they are also to start importing the Pfizer anti-viral drugs, they didn't say anything about importing any Western vaccines.

It probably should come as no surprise that China is suffering just now, as they created the perfect storm imo, a home grown vaccine that wasn't very good, an appalling up-take amongst their most vulnerable and their no-covid policy, which has resulted in a very small amount of immunity in the population, a perfect storm.

2 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

China getting hit bad the now, watching a report on CNN and the reporter was saying that there were estimated to have been 250 million covid infections since the start of the month, although China has now stopped releasing daily infection figures, they are also to start importing the Pfizer anti-viral drugs, they didn't say anything about importing any Western vaccines.

It probably should come as no surprise that China is suffering just now, as they created the perfect storm imo, a home grown vaccine that wasn't very good, an appalling up-take amongst their most vulnerable and their no-covid policy, which has resulted in a very small amount of immunity in the population, a perfect storm.

Stop the flights from China or we're doomed 

il Duce McTarkin
On 22/12/2022 at 18:09, Nucky Thompson said:

When we had that cold spell just past, the drivers were turning up the heating full blast.

You're jumping on the bus dressed like an Eskimo and it's like a sauna inside.

Had to have all the windows open or you would've passed out.

WTF are you doing on a bus?

The chauffeur on annual leave?

On 22/12/2022 at 17:26, Nucky Thompson said:

My sister was telling me that she's been kicked out of the dentist that's she's been going to for 30 years because they are going totally private.

It's a disgrace 

A lot of them are going private and can’t really blame them trying to make extra money and recoup losses .

The Mighty Thor
1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

As China, prepares to loosens controls,  and allows air travel. Flights from China to Italy returning 50% positive rate on passenger. The Italians and a number of other countries including US, introducing manadatory testing on Flights from China due to variant concerns. 

I'm sure the Tories will have a Lord/Donor/Sponsor lined up to lead the UK testing regime for great personal enrichment 👍

Nucky Thompson
2 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

I'm sure the Tories will have a Lord/Donor/Sponsor lined up to lead the UK testing regime for great personal enrichment 👍

The UK government have no plans to bring back testing for incoming Chinese.

Quite right too.

Feck going back to that pish.

I'm sure Nicola will be rubbing her hands though

The Mighty Thor
1 minute ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Quite right too.

The UK government have no plans. 

That's it. 

Nucky Thompson
3 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

The UK government have no plans. 

That's it. 

Aye, I'll give you that :greggy:

5 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Quite right too.

USA have just announced all incoming Chinese passengers must have negative test.  Italy have just followed suit.  Countries surrounding China also done similar.  Seems like a sensible cautious approach given the huge number of infections happening over there - otherwise we've not really learned have we?

Nucky Thompson
2 minutes ago, Gards said:

USA have just announced all incoming Chinese passengers must have negative test.  Italy have just followed suit.  Countries surrounding China also done similar.  Seems like a sensible cautious approach given the huge number of infections happening over there - otherwise we've not really learned have we?

It was always going to happen when China opened up fully.

They have a shite vaccine with low uptake.

It's still the same virus as far as I'm aware

There's probably been many thousands travelling into UK airports with Covid every day for the last year or so

If the Chinese haven't been vaxxed with a proper vaccine, they don't get to leave China, unless they are very very good at tennis. 👍 Only fair.

Are China getting it more than anywhere else? 

I don't mean in terms of outcome due to their vaccine but is a Chinese person more likely to have it and spread it than me? Or do they just know they've got it due to testing?

It would be reasonable to be quite suspicious regarding the motives behind their sudden departure from isolationism and 'zero covid' policies.  Let's face it,  they're not famous for doing things for the purpose of freedoms for people.  And they don't have an unblemished history of sharing scientific data and information.  

A country representing almost a quarter of the population of the planet,  almost all of whom have not gained from much accumulated population protection,  suddenly permitted to travel freely after 3 years of highly restrictive conditions.  It's not difficult to see why some countries fancy taking a cautious look at the resultant outcomes.  

17 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

As China, prepares to loosens controls,  and allows air travel. Flights from China to Italy returning 50% positive rate on passenger. The Italians and a number of other countries including US, introducing manadatory testing on Flights from China due to variant concerns. 

50%. Did the Chinese ever have this under control at any point?

14 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

50%. Did the Chinese ever have this under control at any point?

Yes,  but never in a practical and sustainable way.  They simply went into and stayed in ultra suppression.  They were having mass lockdowns on the basis of someone coughing too loudly.  They never gained the benefit of round after round of widespead waves and the accumulated population exposure.  Plus their vaccines were crap.

Their estimated daily infection rate is 1,000,000.  But seemingly their dominant flavour of virus is already widely spread around the world.  No new nasty wee ***** yet.

4 hours ago, Victorian said:

It would be reasonable to be quite suspicious regarding the motives behind their sudden departure from isolationism and 'zero covid' policies.  Let's face it,  they're not famous for doing things for the purpose of freedoms for people.  And they don't have an unblemished history of sharing scientific data and information.  

A country representing almost a quarter of the population of the planet,  almost all of whom have not gained from much accumulated population protection,  suddenly permitted to travel freely after 3 years of highly restrictive conditions.  It's not difficult to see why some countries fancy taking a cautious look at the resultant outcomes.  

A few weeks after Xi consolidated his control over China, the Chinese state suddenly abandon their near 3 year zero-covid policy.

A coincidence or.....

il Duce McTarkin
3 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

A few weeks after Xi consolidated his control over China, the Chinese state suddenly abandon their near 3 year zero-covid policy.

A coincidence or.....

The initial release of Covid didn't weaken the west as much as Xi had calculated, so its about time for another one.

The collateral damage to the rest of the world's population being both acceptable and within expected limits.

The UK is reviewing extra measures for flights arriving from China. 

What's happening in the mean time? Is it like what happened for the first few months back when it all started? Flights coming from China, Italy and India with no measures in place. Welcome to the UK, enjoy your stay. 

You would like to think there are many lessons to be learned from what happened the first time. I'm not so sure those in charge will take notice. 

The Real Maroonblood
5 minutes ago, indianajones said:

The UK is reviewing extra measures for flights arriving from China. 

What's happening in the mean time? Is it like what happened for the first few months back when it all started? Flights coming from China, Italy and India with no measures in place. Welcome to the UK, enjoy your stay. 

You would like to think there are many lessons to be learned from what happened the first time. I'm not so sure those in charge will take notice. 

The UK Government couldn't run a bath.

They're considering doing a u turn on Chinese flights. 

It should never have been an issue in the first place. 

Muppets. 

Edited by The Real Maroonblood

The Real Maroonblood
4 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

uk to introduce the requirement for a pre flight negative test for those coming from china.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-64130655

note some countires such as germany, australia, france and portugal have not as yet introduced testing requirements

Must be doing it because Germany and France haven't yet.:10900:

On 28/12/2022 at 22:02, Nucky Thompson said:

Quite right too.

😀😀

Nucky Thompson
14 hours ago, XB52 said:

😀😀

It again proves that the UK government is held accountable by its backbench MP's.

It would never catch on in Scotland.

Question the Murrells and you're out on your ear

It's a waste of time testing the Chinese imo, as we've been spreading it unchecked by ourselves for the last year

3 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

It again proves that the UK government is held accountable by its backbench MP's.

It would never catch on in Scotland.

Question the Murrells and you're out on your ear

It's a waste of time testing the Chinese imo, as we've been spreading it unchecked by ourselves for the last year

I'll say it again. 😀😀. Your pathetic wee dig at your FM didn't go very well did it. Never mind, you keep supporting the tories for not putting covid checks on the chinese/putting covid checks on the chinese. Mr u turn would be proud of you

Nucky Thompson
8 minutes ago, XB52 said:

I'll say it again. 😀😀. Your pathetic wee dig at your FM didn't go very well did it. Never mind, you keep supporting the tories for not putting covid checks on the chinese/putting covid checks on the chinese. Mr u turn would be proud of you

I couldn't give a shit one way or the other if they test/don't test the Chinese.

They got pressure from their backbenchers to do it, which is fair enough.

Your pathetic defence of Sturgeon at every turn is as cringeworthy as feck :vrface:

Oh by the way, how are those polls going :whistling:

SectionDJambo

In my view, it's perfectly reasonable for any western governments to be extremely suspicious of China. They've shown little or no regret over the initial breakout and calamity of Covid. They couldn't have made a better job of destroying western economies.

After months of criticism by western governments and media over the treatment of their own people during a strict lockdown, which would have had the "infringement of my humam rights" brigade here going crazy, they suddenly decide to remove all travel restrictions. It looks to me that they've decided to teach us a lesson by having another go at infecting the planet, except maybe their mates in Russia. 

The week after a cosy meeting with Putin, they try to release Covid infected citizens into the wider world, where another financial meltdown might restrict the ability of western countries to send weapons to Ukraine.

Coincidence?

2 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

In my view, it's perfectly reasonable for any western governments to be extremely suspicious of China. They've shown little or no regret over the initial breakout and calamity of Covid. They couldn't have made a better job of destroying western economies.

After months of criticism by western governments and media over the treatment of their own people during a strict lockdown, which would have had the "infringement of my humam rights" brigade here going crazy, they suddenly decide to remove all travel restrictions. It looks to me that they've decided to teach us a lesson by having another go at infecting the planet, except maybe their mates in Russia. 

The week after a cosy meeting with Putin, they try to release Covid infected citizens into the wider world, where another financial meltdown might restrict the ability of western countries to send weapons to Ukraine.

Coincidence?

There's probably loads of people who have COVID here too, it hasn't just gone away. I'm not really sure why it matters if you catch if from someone from China or Cornwall.

It's demonising the Chinese unfairly imo. 

Edited by Taffin

Nucky Thompson
32 minutes ago, Taffin said:

There's probably loads of people who have COVID here too, it hasn't just gone away. I'm not really sure why it matters if you catch if from someone from China or Cornwall.

This

SectionDJambo
1 hour ago, Taffin said:

Half the first flight from China into Italy tested positive for covid. Half of the European population do not have covid. We also don’t know if they have a different strain. It would be, in my opinion, gross negligence for western governments, towards their own citizens, not to at least try to restrict any new infections coming their way from China.

I’m sorry, but the Chinese government do little to discourage suspicion from other nations. If they don’t want to attract that suspicion, they should behave differently.

Some would, with some justification, say that it’s none of our business how the Chinese run their own country. It’s also our business how we run our country and try to safeguard British people.

4 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

Half the first flight from China into Italy tested positive for covid. Half of the European population do not have covid. 

Half a flight of Europeans might have it though. Those things aren't comparable nor is the sample big enough to make that assumption.

Also, with such high rates of asymptomatic (and that was pre-vaccine) infection how do you know how many Europeans do/don't have COVID? People don't test anymore. It could be rampant, we simply don't know.

We also don’t know if they have a different strain. It would be, in my opinion, gross negligence for western governments, towards their own citizens, not to at least try to restrict any new infections coming their way from China. 

Does anything suggest they have a different strain? 

Why is China more likely than anywhere else to have a new strain? 

I’m sorry, but the Chinese government do little to discourage suspicion from other nations. If they don’t want to attract that suspicion, they should behave differently.

Some would, with some justification, say that it’s none of our business how the Chinese run their own country. It’s also our business how we run our country and try to safeguard British people.

That'll be a long list of countries back on the test-to-enter list if their 'government do little to discourage suspicion from other nations' is the driver of it.

How should the Chinese government behave so as not to attract suspicion from the UK? The well known to be completely above board and in no way shady in their dealings UK...do the Chinese not pay them enough? Don't they fund our capital expenditure sufficiently?

The move is 100% political. Those pointing the finger and thinking 'bat eating Chinese are being sent to damage our country' need a good shake imo.

Nucky Thompson
25 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

Half the first flight from China into Italy tested positive for covid. Half of the European population do not have covid. We also don’t know if they have a different strain. It would be, in my opinion, gross negligence for western governments, towards their own citizens, not to at least try to restrict any new infections coming their way from China.

I reckon if they tested our flight back from Riga in September more than half would have tested positive.

Testing Chinese tourists is just politics 

SectionDJambo
52 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Half a flight of Europeans might have it though. Those things aren't comparable nor is the sample big enough to make that assumption.

Also, with such high rates of asymptomatic (and that was pre-vaccine) infection how do you know how many Europeans do/don't have COVID? People don't test anymore. It could be rampant, we simply don't know.

Does anything suggest they have a different strain? 

Why is China more likely than anywhere else to have a new strain? 

That'll be a long list of countries back on the test-to-enter list if their 'government do little to discourage suspicion from other nations' is the driver of it.

How should the Chinese government behave so as not to attract suspicion from the UK? The well known to be completely above board and in no way shady in their dealings UK...do the Chinese not pay them enough? Don't they fund our capital expenditure sufficiently?

The move is 100% political. Those pointing the finger and thinking 'bat eating Chinese are being sent to damage our country' need a good shake imo.

Well, we’ll just have to agree to disagree.

I don’t trust the Chinese government to be acting out of the goodness of their heart. Trusting them didn’t work out well last time. This isn’t the equivalent of sending a gunboat up the Yangtze. It’s just a common sense move to protect our citizens, in my view.

You say half of Europeans may have it. Where is the evidence? 

9 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

Well, we’ll just have to agree to disagree.

I don’t trust the Chinese government to be acting out of the goodness of their heart. Trusting them didn’t work out well last time. This isn’t the equivalent of sending a gunboat up the Yangtze. It’s just a common sense move to protect our citizens, in my view.

You say half of Europeans may have it. Where is the evidence? 

There's no evidence half of Europeans have it...or that they don't. 

Happy to agree to disagree, just sticking up for a peoples I feel are being demonised a bit on this 👍

9 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Happy to agree to disagree, just sticking up for a peoples I feel are being demonised a bit on this 👍

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/dec/31/england-covid-test-travellers-from-china

Fear of new variants and opaque reporting if any from China.

9 minutes ago, Taffin said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/dec/31/england-covid-test-travellers-from-china

SectionDJambo
10 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I don't distrust the Chinese people. Only their government. I just have to make that clear.

4 minutes ago, Boris said:

So pretty much they're suspicious there's new variants in China and don't think the Chinese government are being honest with them. Given there surely could be variants in many countries they don't know about, including our own this feels to me a rather targeted act based on conjecture and politics alone.

Nothing in that article says anything to me other than China is a bogeyman but I accept others view it differently.

4 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I couldn't give a shit one way or the other if they test/don't test the Chinese.

They got pressure from their backbenchers to do it, which is fair enough.

Your pathetic defence of Sturgeon at every turn is as cringeworthy as feck :vrface:

Oh by the way, how are those polls going :whistling:

😀😀😀😀  a wee reminder what you posted earlier.    

The UK government have no plans to bring back testing for incoming Chinese.

Quite right too.

Feck going back to that pish.

Your pathetic attempt to bring the FM into everything is hilarious, almost as funny as you arguing with yourself 

8 minutes ago, Taffin said:

So pretty much they're suspicious there's new variants in China and don't think the Chinese government are being honest with them. Given there surely could be variants in many countries they don't know about, including our own this feels to me a rather targeted act based on conjecture and politics alone.

Nothing in that article says anything to me other than China is a bogeyman but I accept others view it differently.

I'm afraid I don't know enough about variants etc but suspect that whilst still in UK, COVID is kind of at bay due to vaccine uptake, dominance of omicron.

Sympathise with your point re China bogeyman, but can also see why there are suspicions given the Chinese government's lack of openness.

Just now, Boris said:

I'm afraid I don't know enough about variants etc but suspect that whilst still in UK, COVID is kind of at bay due to vaccine uptake, dominance of omicron.

Sympathise with your point re China bogeyman, but can also see why there are suspicions given the Chinese government's lack of openness.

Nor do I, Boris in all honesty, but it just doesn't feel like it stacks up for me logically (as a total layman, I appreciate).

I get it from a realpolitik perspective, it's a wonderful opportunity for Westminster to be seen to be taking proactive action (but it's shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted, 2020 was the bolting) whilst also taking the opportunity to throw mud at a world power in international relations.

Would I be anymore fearful encountering someone fresh off a flight from China than a local in my post office? No, and given the UKs propensity for racial idiocy I think it's a dangerous narrative to push and the negatives outweigh the positives for me, and that's not to mention the impact on relations with China.

Nucky Thompson
11 minutes ago, XB52 said:

😀😀😀😀  a wee reminder what you posted earlier.    

The UK government have no plans to bring back testing for incoming Chinese.

Quite right too.

Feck going back to that pish.

Your pathetic attempt to bring the FM into everything is hilarious, almost as funny as you arguing with yourself 

They had no plans and now they have plans.

I'm not going to get angry about it FFS :lol:

8 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Nor do I, Boris in all honesty, but it just doesn't feel like it stacks up for me logically (as a total layman, I appreciate).

I get it from a realpolitik perspective, it's a wonderful opportunity for Westminster to be seen to be taking proactive action (but it's shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted, 2020 was the bolting) whilst also taking the opportunity to throw mud at a world power in international relations.

Would I be anymore fearful encountering someone fresh off a flight from China than a local in my post office? No, and given the UKs propensity for racial idiocy I think it's a dangerous narrative to push and the negatives outweigh the positives for me, and that's not to mention the impact on relations with China.

In full agreement with you regards the last part of your last paragraph!

il Duce McTarkin

Anyone that trusts the Chinese government to be doing the 'right thing' in relation to the wider world needs to take a good look at themselves.

10 minutes ago, Dirk McTarkin said:

Anyone that trusts the Chinese government to be doing the 'right thing' in relation to the wider world needs to take a good look at themselves.

Exactly 3 years ago today, China notified the WHO about a new type of pneumonia that was affecting people in Wuhan, it took a further year before the Chinese authorities allowed inspectors from the WHO access to Wuhan so that they could gather evidence, fast forward to today and China is still not sharing current information with not only the WHO but the wider world.

I find it quite suspicious that just at the very time that China is being hit with millions of covid infections, they are suddenly allowing for the first time in nearly 2 or 3 years their citizens to travel abroad freely.