Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

8 hours ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

There was folk wearing masks at the gig I was at tonight. Don't think I could give less of a **** tbh. People can do what they want. It's pretty much what folk have been banging on about for over two years now.

Spot on. It's none of my business if folk continue to wear masks. It's a super weird thing to do imo, but that's their choice to do so and I barely even notice anymore.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I take them as a sign that the person has cause for concern about their own current infection status. And while I appear to be immune, it does raise the issue that these people are knowingly wandering about in an infectious state rather than following good manners and staying home/avoiding crowded areas.

I never understood that back in the day. If you thought you had it then take a test or stay at home...don't wear a mask and go out.

Now I just don't even think about Covid really so kind of almost respect the wearer to their commitment...like someone driving a classic car. Sure, it's a bit look at me, and you know a new car is better, but also it's sort of cool.

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, jonesy said:

Inspired by the venerable and much missed @redjambo producing his daily stats, I would keep track of how many discarded masks I saw on my 20 minute walk to work. 

Give humans the potential to feck things up and they usually will, sadly.

I do hope things are ok with him ? He is missed as you say .

https://fb.watch/eP8M2M0rT2/

Face masks use were never for stopping  the spread of a virus but to communicate fear, compliance and control. 

Made  no sense then and even less now! 

Theres a far bigger picture unfolding before our eyes. 

Masks never worn one, nor should you! 

Vaccinations- part of the problem now! Gosh. ,shock, horror! 

Masks were meant to be worn over the mouth and nose not the eyes ! 

Dont forget our own club was complicit in rolling over , wonder if this transfers to Sunday afternoons in Leith! 

50 minutes ago, thewiseone said:

Theres a far bigger picture unfolding before our eyes. 

Indeed, it's all part of the Zogarian invasion.

Doomed, we're doomed I tell you.

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

Dennis Denuto
4 hours ago, jonesy said:

I take them as a sign that the person has cause for concern about their own current infection status. And while I appear to be immune, it does raise the issue that these people are knowingly wandering about in an infectious state rather than following good manners and staying home/avoiding crowded areas.

I think that virtually all current Mask Wearers are those that think it offers them some protection from catching the virus.

The only place I have been recently where I have been asked to wear a mask was in a vaccination centre with my children as they were getting the vaccine. Everyone that was asked to put one on without complaint while I was there

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, Dennis Denuto said:

I think that virtually all current Mask Wearers are those that think it offers them some protection from catching the virus.

The only place I have been recently where I have been asked to wear a mask was in a vaccination centre with my children as they were getting the vaccine. Everyone that was asked to put one on without complaint while I was there

I wore one recently at a hospital medical appointment . Couldn’t be bothered with arguing if I hadn’t worn one . But didn’t wear one when I visited someone in hospital as it’s not compulsory to do so . 

33 minutes ago, Dennis Denuto said:

:spoton:

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
2 hours ago, Dennis Denuto said:

was the place providing the masks for those who didn’t have one already ? If so were they individually wrapped ?

7 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Wildlife and birds in particular are being impacted hugely by discarded face masks, and goodnes knows what damage discarded face masks are doing to the environment.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/environment/2022/08/05/covid-face-masks-devastating-bird-populations-world/

This.

Apart from the fact that scientifically they're a load of shite.

3 hours ago, Dennis Denuto said:

Mask wearing solves or prevents a miniscule if that of transmission and anyone advocating it is an enemy of the environment.

There is no logical need or argument for shit masks that don't prevent dust never mind virus particles.

Wash your hands clarts

52 minutes ago, Ked said:

Mask wearing solves or prevents a miniscule if that of transmission and anyone advocating it is an enemy of the environment.

There is no logical need or argument for shit masks that don't prevent dust never mind virus particles.

Wash your hands clarts

Unbelievable 

I see it constantly, in for piss and straight out the door.

No shake hands with their unsuspecting mate right after.

22 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Sorry to hear this , hopefully you get fully fit again . Surely there must be some impact on us all from wearing masks , for significant periods of time. ? Funnily enough I got a text from the NHS regarding my covid diagnosis in January . They have sent me link to complete a questionnaire about my health post covid . I’ll fill it in tomorrow . 

Give it a few years, then watch the lawsuits in America, then elsewhere, when staff start coming down with lung problems.

I wrote about it on the covid thread a good while back, about what appeared to be a faulty batch of face masks issued to medical staff, tiny fibers were breaking off and being breathed in, dozens of staff developed coughs, only then did the management withdraw the masks for another batch, but they didn't manage to get all the faulty masks back in, several staff kept some of the faulty masks, just for future reference, if needed.

JudyJudyJudy
41 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Give it a few years, then watch the lawsuits in America, then elsewhere, when staff start coming down with lung problems.

I wrote about it on the covid thread a good while back, about what appeared to be a faulty batch of face masks issued to medical staff, tiny fibers were breaking off and being breathed in, dozens of staff developed coughs, only then did the management withdraw the masks for another batch, but they didn't manage to get all the faulty masks back in, several staff kept some of the faulty masks, just for future reference, if needed.

yep 

Unknown user
On 09/08/2022 at 20:48, JudyJudyJudy said:

Sorry to hear this , hopefully you get fully fit again . Surely there must be some impact on us all from wearing masks , for significant periods of time. ? Funnily enough I got a text from the NHS regarding my covid diagnosis in January . They have sent me link to complete a questionnaire about my health post covid . I’ll fill it in tomorrow . 

It's breathing through a filter, what kind of impact would there be? 

And wouldn't we already know about it and be calling it surgeon's lung or something?

Unknown user
6 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I remember that, I remember that I couldn't see how this one wee batch of masks going to this one hospital in the borders was faulty out of the many many millions that were made, but no others anywhere else had problems. I also recall getting a row for being rude :laugh2:

I don't recall that you updated us with the fibres thing though, was that confirmed or did they just ditch the batch without anything being proved (not a dig, totally understandable btw, sometimes being seen to do something is what the situation needs)

4 minutes ago, Smithee said:

It's breathing through a filter, what kind of impact would there be? 

And wouldn't we already know about it and be calling it surgeon's lung or something?

It depends on how stable and robust that filter is, if you've been using crap cheap masks you could have been breathing in micro fibres for months on end, I think there was a case mentioned where the fibres in masks was breaking down and people were breathing these broken bits of fibre.

I've no problem with people wearing masks if they feel the need, I only seldom see anyone wearing them now.

Unknown user
1 minute ago, Dawnrazor said:

It depends on how stable and robust that filter is, if you've been using crap cheap masks you could have been breathing in micro fibres for months on end, I think there was a case mentioned where the fibres in masks was breaking down and people were breathing these broken bits of fibre.

I've no problem with people wearing masks if they feel the need, I only seldom see anyone wearing them now.

Aren't we constantly breathing in micro fibres and micro all-sorts anyway?

I don't know, but given how many of these things have been used in the last couple of years we'd surely be seeing something obvious if there really was a problem. In Japan many have been wearing them for years and years, surely we'd have seen something from them?

3 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Aren't we constantly breathing in micro fibres and micro all-sorts anyway?

I don't know, but given how many of these things have been used in the last couple of years we'd surely be seeing something obvious if there really was a problem. In Japan many have been wearing them for years and years, surely we'd have seen something from them?

Aye, fair points.

Dennis Denuto
16 hours ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

was the place providing the masks for those who didn’t have one already ? If so were they individually wrapped ?

Masks and sanitiser were provided for you and a bin to put them in afterwards, they were not individually wrapped.

7 hours ago, Smithee said:

I remember that, I remember that I couldn't see how this one wee batch of masks going to this one hospital in the borders was faulty out of the many many millions that were made, but no others anywhere else had problems. I also recall getting a row for being rude :laugh2:

I don't recall that you updated us with the fibres thing though, was that confirmed or did they just ditch the batch without anything being proved (not a dig, totally understandable btw, sometimes being seen to do something is what the situation needs)

Unsure if describing masks, or Covid. The bold bit was my experience of it.

Also just a joke...

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
2 hours ago, Dennis Denuto said:

Masks and sanitiser were provided for you and a bin to put them in afterwards, they were not individually wrapped.

I had a similar experience - a box of unwrapped masks with umpteen people putting their mits into the box (poorly sanitised in some cases no doubt) and in fact someone literally sneezed as they were selecting their mask :lol:

I explained why I was refusing their mask and so had to leave ☹️ (to be fair I was given a 5-minute stay of execution to get the minimum which needed done done) - ironically I had my own mask but that wasn’t acceptable as i had opened it already so theoretically could have already used it multiple times been in my pocket for days etc - it hadn’t but it was a fair point but completely at odds with their solution of unwrapped masks sitting around all day

I’m guessing you are unlikely to agree given you accepted your unwrapped mask but i thought it unbelievable (or sadly believable) especially given it was a medical environment

Got offered a mask from joe the taxi around the same time - he carefully opened like a large cigarette case thing to reveal a stack of pristine wrapped masks

Dennis Denuto
49 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

I had a similar experience - a box of unwrapped masks with umpteen people putting their mits into the box (poorly sanitised in some cases no doubt) and in fact someone literally sneezed as they were selecting their mask :lol:

I explained why I was refusing their mask and so had to leave ☹️ (to be fair I was given a 5-minute stay of execution to get the minimum which needed done done) - ironically I had my own mask but that wasn’t acceptable as i had opened it already so theoretically could have already used it multiple times been in my pocket for days etc - it hadn’t but it was a fair point but completely at odds with their solution of unwrapped masks sitting around all day

I’m guessing you are unlikely to agree given you accepted your unwrapped mask but i thought it unbelievable (or sadly believable) especially given it was a medical environment

Got offered a mask from joe the taxi around the same time - he carefully opened like a large cigarette case thing to reveal a stack of pristine wrapped masks

I took the mask because I don't over think it, because it drives you crazy if you do. I think any masking is going to make very little difference with the fact there are no restrictions in place now, if that's the rules that is the rules.

I suppose if I cared enough I'd keep a couple of sealed individually wrapped medical masks on me.

11 hours ago, Smithee said:

I didn't as there was nothing to update about, except they were withdrawn from use, however as I've said some staff including Mrs JJ kept one or two of the faulty masks, just for future reference if they ever needed them.

Unknown user
14 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I didn't as there was nothing to update about, except they were withdrawn from use, however as I've said some staff including Mrs JJ kept one or two of the faulty masks, just for future reference if they ever needed them.

👍

3 hours ago, Smithee said:

👍

There's every chance they were counterfeit face masks.

There is a warehouse full of, well basically crap quality, quite possibly counterfeit PPI worth millions & millions, there is no way they managed to intercept every box full of crap PPI, some of it has to have made it's way into circulation.

5 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

There's every chance they were counterfeit face masks.

There is a warehouse full of, well basically crap quality, quite possibly counterfeit PPI worth millions & millions, there is no way they managed to intercept every box full of crap PPI, some of it has to have made it's way into circulation.

All thanks  to the Tory Shagger Handcock 

Nucky Thompson
47 minutes ago, Imaman said:

All thanks  to the Tory Shagger Handcock 

To be fair, every single country was desperate to get their hands on PPI and they were all cutting each others throats.

What I have an issue with, was the ones supplying dodgy stuff not being brought to task

1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

To be fair, every single country was desperate to get their hands on PPI and they were all cutting each others throats.

What I have an issue with, was the ones supplying dodgy stuff not being brought to task

Yes, it wasn't just the UK who got scammed with dodgy (fake) PPI, Belgium, Netherlands, Spain, Germany & I think France all got scammed and supplied with PPI which was completely unusable, ended up in the bin.

Dennis Denuto
14 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

And what private companies/individuals still made profit from importing and supplying the wrong PPI?

Nucky Thompson
6 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Agreed. Anyone still wearing a mask needs to man up.

Ri will still be going about with his Sturgeon style, tartan effort.

Hopefully he's ditched the hazmat suit though

Watt-Zeefuik

This is a response to @tcjambo from the transfer thread to keep from spamming an already noisy thread. In that thread he wrote in response to me:

Sorry but you are talking nonsense. There are plenty studies to show that the effectiveness of the vaccine is very much age dependent. He also may well have had covid already. You sound like a bit of a foamer on this issue. And my expertise?, simply that I have a masters in this area. 

Cool I have a masters and a Ph.D. and I'm a data scientist who works on health data. Comparing the size of our degrees is a stupid activity though.

The effectiveness is age-dependent strictly because the expected severity is age-dependent. There's nothing about the vaccine that makes it less effective for young adults vs. old adults, just that young adults are less likely to have severe cases so the delta is smaller. They absolutely cut down on re-infection, which a recent US VA study showed that re-infection likely substantially increases the risk of long COVID. (https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2022.04.29.22274455v2, https://www.researchsquare.com/article/rs-1749502/latest.pdf) Further, studies continue to show lower temporally aggregated viral shedding, which likely means lower chance of infecting others (e.g., https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9237490/)

JudyJudyJudy

When I went to see Jon Culshaw les Dawson show yesterday the venue was nearly full . Over 500 people . 2 people slap in the midfield row were both wearing masks . The only two . Poor sods really . I’ve been there as well ! 😂 hope they didn’t laugh to hard as they might have let some minuscule particles in their mouth . 

Nucky Thompson
On 13/08/2022 at 15:45, Led Tasso said:

This is a response to @tcjambo from the transfer thread to keep from spamming an already noisy thread. In that thread he wrote in response to me:

Cool I have a masters and a Ph.D. and I'm a data scientist who works on health data. Comparing the size of our degrees is a stupid activity though.

The effectiveness is age-dependent strictly because the expected severity is age-dependent. There's nothing about the vaccine that makes it less effective for young adults vs. old adults, just that young adults are less likely to have severe cases so the delta is smaller. They absolutely cut down on re-infection, which a recent US VA study showed that re-infection likely substantially increases the risk of long COVID. (https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2022.04.29.22274455v2, https://www.researchsquare.com/article/rs-1749502/latest.pdf) Further, studies continue to show lower temporally aggregated viral shedding, which likely means lower chance of infecting others (e.g., https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9237490/)

I agree with you on this

Nucky Thompson
1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Surprised that this hasn't been posted about before now.

The UK has approved an updated version of the Moderna vaccine which targets both the original strain of covid and the omicron variant as well.

https://news.sky.com/story/uk-is-first-to-approve-covid-vaccine-targeting-original-strain-and-omicron-variant-12673637

Probably because nobody is batting an eyelid anymore.

They were talking about it on BBC breakfast this morning and they might have a job convincing people to keep getting vaccinated.

I'll take it every year along with my Flu jab. I don't have a problem with it

Coronavirus evolves so fast that even the original omicron strain is virtually obsolete.  It's already diverged into many sub-strains that are not neutralised by immunisation from the first omicron.  Any of the vaccines hold up very well against acute illness but there's very little neutralisation of infection happening.  Therefore a re-formulised,  'bivalent' vaccine vs up-to-date omicron,  plus whatever comes along,  seems curious.  It isn't quite the 'polyvalent' type of vaccine spoken of in the past.  One designed in a different way to provide neutralising antibodies against all coronaviruses.  

9 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Probably because nobody is batting an eyelid anymore.

They were talking about it on BBC breakfast this morning and they might have a job convincing people to keep getting vaccinated.

I'll take it every year along with my Flu jab. I don't have a problem with it

Same here, I'll take whatever is going that I think will protect me from serious illness.

If other people don't want it, that's their decision, but you watch the mad scramble if/when they start to fall Ill* with covid again or there's a new omricon variant that appears.

*Ill as in more than a day or two with flu like symptons*

3 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Coronavirus evolves so fast that even the original omicron strain is virtually obsolete.  It's already diverged into many sub-strains that are not neutralised by immunisation from the first omicron.  Any of the vaccines hold up very well against acute illness but there's very little neutralisation of infection happening.  Therefore a re-formulised,  'bivalent' vaccine vs up-to-date omicron,  plus whatever comes along,  seems curious.  It isn't quite the 'polyvalent' type of vaccine spoken of in the past.  One designed in a different way to provide neutralising antibodies against all coronaviruses.  

That'll all take time I suppose, before there's a one size fits all type of vaccine.

1 minute ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

That'll all take time I suppose, before there's a one size fits all type of vaccine.

It will but they should already be well on the way down the right road if it's possible and practical at all.  Churning out strain specific,  or bivalent,  or even polyvalent vaccines that don't make a dent in the epidemioligical side of things seems like it could be counter productive in terms of time and resources.  Assuming that the large majority continue to stay well protected from severe illness.  I've never seen anything to suggest that there's been any significant waning of the overall protection acquired from original vaccines + infection with recent strains.

9 minutes ago, Victorian said:

It will but they should already be well on the way down the right road if it's possible and practical at all.  Churning out strain specific,  or bivalent,  or even polyvalent vaccines that don't make a dent in the epidemioligical side of things seems like it could be counter productive in terms of time and resources.  Assuming that the large majority continue to stay well protected from severe illness.  I've never seen anything to suggest that there's been any significant waning of the overall protection acquired from original vaccines + infection with recent strains.

There could well be one, but it's not ready yet, whilst the Moderna updated vaccine is ready. 

I have no doubts that just like the virus, vaccines against it will evolve as well.

3 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

There could well be one, but it's not ready yet, whilst the Moderna updated vaccine is ready. 

I have no doubts that just like the virus, vaccines against it will evolve as well.

Yeah,  vaccines can be updated all the time.  But from what we're told,  it seems like a hell of a lot of work for very little return.  Until something different comes along and fundamentally changes the epidemiology.  Maybe it is in the offing.

https://fb.watch/eYm7IwYdzu/

This is worth a watch.

As we approach the cold and flu season in coming months Im wondering if I should get my first vaccine. 

Do I zip up backwards? 

Angry ? You should be ! 

Dont forget Hearts were complicit in the scam ! 

Jeffros Furios
1 minute ago, thewiseone said:

This is worth a watch.

As we approach the cold and flu season in coming months Im wondering if I should get my first vaccine. 

Do I zip up backwards? 

Angry ? You should be ! 

:rofl:

Dennis Reynolds
14 minutes ago, thewiseone said:

This is worth a watch.

Do I zip up backwards? 

Angry ? You should be ! 

I prefer it when you randomly post shite in the terrace to make it seem like your actually a football fan. It's funnier than GB News hiring grifters ☹️

JudyJudyJudy
9 minutes ago, escobri said:

Tony Blair back calling for mandatory masks on public transport, wish he'd just **** off.

He’s lucky he’s not in the dock the piece of shit , they can completely piss of with any mask wearing ! 

JudyJudyJudy
33 minutes ago, thewiseone said:

This is worth a watch.

Do I zip up backwards? 

Angry ? You should be ! 

I’ve had enough . No more jabs for me . 

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )