Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

200k dead from the cold over the past couple of years, aye?

Well that's a stretch to say 200,000 died of Covid. 

Nucky Thompson
2 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

200k dead from the cold over the past couple of years, aye?

200k with Covid mentioned on the death certificate can now be taken with a pinch of salt.

Most of those deaths would have happened anyway within a year

Footballfirst
12 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

200k with Covid mentioned on the death certificate can now be taken with a pinch of salt.

Most of those deaths would have happened anyway within a year

Then why did England and Wales report 133,623 excess deaths between March 2020 and December 2021?  What caused those excess deaths if it wasn't Covid?

Edited by Footballfirst

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
10 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Then why did England and Wales report 133,623 excess deaths between March 2020 and December 2021?  What caused those excess deaths if it wasn't Covid?

lockdown caused some of them

Footballfirst
1 minute ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

lockdown caused some of them

In what way? 

Show me some evidence of the number of suicides, alcohol or drug deaths caused by lockdown.

8 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

In what way? 

Show me some evidence of the number of suicides, alcohol or drug deaths caused by lockdown.

There is no question that lockdown increased drug and alcohol and mental health problems, which resulted in increased deaths. These were at a very very low level. 
Off a greater concern is the later diagnosis of a whole range of illnesses which have worsened peoples outcomes. Add impacts on education, exercise and impacting basic quality of life and development and £s it has come at a huge social and economic cost.  Not to mention NHS baclklogs. 
Covid caused the spike in deaths .. it wasn’t flu or a bad cold. It was a major pandemic. 
lockdowns are far from cost free and eventually we have to open up and live with it as best we can. 

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
25 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

In what way? 

as the previous poster has articulated it’s accepted that lockdown had a wide ranging cost - a range way beyond the 3 rather stereotypical things you have listed

just for clarity do you believe that lockdown didn’t cause some of them ?

Footballfirst
1 minute ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

as the previous poster has articulated it’s accepted that lockdown had a wide ranging cost - a range way beyond the 3 rather stereotypical things you have listed

Only a marginal amount.

Looking at Nucky's claim that "Most of those deaths would have happened anyway within a year", you will find that respiratory deaths (flu, pneumonia, COPD etc) did fall below their average over the same period i.e. those that were susceptible to dying from flu etc, were equally if not more susceptible to dying from Covid.

Let's say that there were 20,000 fewer deaths from respiratory causes over the period, then that shortfall has to be added to the excess deaths when calculating how many people probably died as a result of contracting Covid, so England and Wales figure for Covid would have been 133k +20k.

I can't be bothered checking the ONS data, but the actual numbers will be in their archive.

Lone Striker
2 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

I think you're having a needless argument about this.     If  Covid infection didn't directly cause all 133k deaths, then it would most likely still have been responsible for a very large percentage of them  - with the remainder being some secondary aspect of Covid  (e.g. lockdown, cancelled operations, loneliness, depression  etc ).   There's also a large number of people still alive, who are  suffering some long-term health issues caused by Covid infection (loosely labelled Long Covid).

With virulent new strains of Covid on the rise, the number of direct & secondary  deaths and people suffering lomg-term effects will keep rising unfortunately.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
1 minute ago, Footballfirst said:

Only a marginal amount.

Looking at Nucky's claim that "Most of those deaths would have happened anyway within a year", you will find that respiratory deaths (flu, pneumonia, COPD etc) did fall below their average over the same period i.e. those that were susceptible to dying from flu etc, were equally if not more susceptible to dying from Covid.

Let's say that there were 20,000 fewer deaths from respiratory causes over the period, then that shortfall has to be added to the excess deaths when calculating how many people probably died as a result of contracting Covid, so England and Wales figure for Covid would have been 133k +20k.

I can't be bothered checking the ONS data, but the actual numbers will be in their archive.

so “some” of them in the uk likely occurred due to lockdown-type restrictions whatever that number is

maybe some other posters can suggest what happened to the other 132k or whatever

we’ve seen 50k excess deaths before the days of covid ?

i remember some tin-foil hatters suggesting that mortality had been lighter in preceding years and that a year of excess deaths was inevitable (albeit not to the extent experienced) - would that count if true of course ?

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
5 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

I think you're having a needless argument about this.     If  Covid infection didn't directly cause all 133k deaths, then it would most likely still have been responsible for a very large percentage of them  - with the remainder being some secondary aspect of Covid  (e.g. lockdown, cancelled operations, loneliness, depression  etc ).   There's also a large number of people still alive, who are  suffering some long-term health issues caused by Covid infection (loosely labelled Long Covid).

With virulent new strains of Covid on the rise, the number of direct & secondary  deaths and people suffering lomg-term effects will keep rising unfortunately.

i’d call it a discussion and most things on here almost by definition are “needless”

Bret the Hitman Hearts
4 hours ago, Jambo_Gaz said:

Keeping Devi Sridhar, the dentist with bad teeth and her from Edinburgh Uni with the new flowers behind her every TV appearance in a job on TV again. 

Covid is no more of a threat than the cold or flu. If you're at risk take some precautions but don't expect endless jabs to be taken up by the masses. 

Even Devi Sridhar admits this now

The fatality rate is now estimated to be less than seasonal flu for all age groups.

Her words, writing in the Guardian

Nucky Thompson
1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

Covid probably did cause the death rate to accelerate in that time frame.

I know that my old mum was wasting away with dementia, but Covid took her quicker than if she was allowed to deteriorate away to oblivion

Footballfirst
13 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Covid probably did cause the death rate to accelerate in that time frame.

I know that my old mum was wasting away with dementia, but Covid took her quicker than if she was allowed to deteriorate away to oblivion

Sorry to hear that for you personally.

The net result of that in terms of excess deaths would be 0.  The cause of death recorded as Covid would be +1, while the number recorded against dementia would have been -1.  The example that I gave above about respiratory deaths falling below their normal rates applies in the same way

You have to remember that "excess deaths" regardless of cause, are in addition to those deaths that are balanced as described above (would have died anyway within a short period even if they hadn't contracted Covid).   

Edited by Footballfirst

4 hours ago, Jambo_Gaz said:

Keeping Devi Sridhar, the dentist with bad teeth and her from Edinburgh Uni with the new flowers behind her every TV appearance in a job on TV again. 

Covid is no more of a threat than the cold or flu. If you're at risk take some precautions but don't expect endless jabs to be taken up by the masses. 

No more of a threat now. At the start, with no known treatments and no vaccines, it was a lottery as to who would survive. Selective quoting without context doesn't enrich your argument.

... - and for many, given that Covid has been largely defanged by science, they’re willing to take the risk of getting bitten to live in a way that they choose and gives them quality of life. Long Covid is a continual challenge as the virus circulates and must be closely monitored and addressed.

I get an annual flu jab, quite happy to take an annual Covid jab at the same time. 

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
29 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

No more of a threat now. At the start, with no known treatments and no vaccines, it was a lottery as to who would survive. Selective quoting without context doesn't enrich your argument.

I get an annual flu jab, quite happy to take an annual Covid jab at the same time. 

associated risk factors were evident very early on so it was never really a lottery or unpredictable (on a wider scale) who were by far most at risk

some media have since admitted that they pushed or were encouraged to push that everyone’s risk was more similar than they knew actually was the case to encourage compliance of restrictions

jack D and coke
On 12/07/2022 at 19:10, Ked said:

Thanks mate honestly though I'm not panicked .I put it down to the virus moving round different muscles as sometimes it's my legs then arms shoulder back etc.

It finally got me the other week. Think I caught it at Liam Gallagher gig and that’s how I felt with the muscle pains.  I’d had a pretty heavy weekend but by the Wednesday knew it wasn’t just an extended hangover. Shivers and sweats but worst part for me was I had a headache for about ten days and I couldn’t shift it. 

7 hours ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Not really a laughing matter ma

Aye it is.

We better learn to laugh and live with it.

Take jags respect each other but not be a fekin ***** about it.

And that goes both ways .

But you need to stop being a nippy fud .

5 hours ago, Jambo_Gaz said:

Breaking: Noone gives a shit about Covid 

They do.

My whole squads out with it.

I'm not at my work so not running the job and that's another few squads unsupervised.

My partners not at her work which means other folk have to cover and may mean vulnerable people not being properly represented .

Mate I get your arguments but I'm fekt with this and I haven't missed work for a very long time.

Now I'm not saying we should lock down but it's a sore flu buddy.

Just saying don't be the mirror image of fud4ever

6 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

It finally got me the other week. Think I caught it at Liam Gallagher gig and that’s how I felt with the muscle pains.  I’d had a pretty heavy weekend but by the Wednesday knew it wasn’t just an extended hangover. Shivers and sweats but worst part for me was I had a headache for about ten days and I couldn’t shift it. 

It's fekin dull buddy .

Thankfully I've not got the heid part so much.

I never get affected by much .

It's day in ma heid in.

How was the gig see he walked of in France probly caught the virus off you 😆

jack D and coke
1 minute ago, Ked said:

It's fekin dull buddy .

Thankfully I've not got the heid part so much.

I never get affected by much .

It's day in ma heid in.

How was the gig see he walked of in France probly caught the virus off you 😆

Haha I don’t know if I was just bonkers and drowned him out with my own singing of his songs but really enjoyed it man he was good…I think :lol: I met half of Musselburgh there!

Was just like a drunken sing song I had a great day.
Can’t believe he didn’t do Live Forever tho…

4 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Haha I don’t know if I was just bonkers and drowned him out with my own singing of his songs but really enjoyed it man he was good…I think :lol: I met half of Musselburgh there!

Was just like a drunken sing song I had a great day.
Can’t believe he didn’t do Live Forever tho…

Live forever is fekin Barry.

Seen Oasis a few times.

Definitely best one was ingliston .

Liam is a dick like but he's a top boy on stage and one of the boys.

I cannae be fkt wi stadium gigs anymore.

Auld git getting

👍

il Duce McTarkin
5 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Not trying hard enough imo.

I've sessioned my way through it twice. Crank the hot tub up to 40 degrees and set your Perfect Draft up within reaching distance.

Stay drunk - stay healthy.

P.S. Neurofen Plus for the headache. 👍

jack D and coke
2 hours ago, Dirk McClaymore said:

I've sessioned my way through it twice. Crank the hot tub up to 40 degrees and set your Perfect Draft up within reaching distance.

Oh I sessioned it out alright. 
Take a tank to stop me there at weekends  ☺️
Minus the hot tub and PD unfortunately😕

14 hours ago, Irufushi said:

Get this idiot binned ffs 😂

To be quite honest it should be you getting binned.  The poster in question might hold some unpopular views,  maybe even outdated views,  but all he did was link a headline about vaccines.

I'm left a bit puzzled why people who have moved on from covid are still entering the covid thread at all.  It's bizarre.

My own personal position is that I'm going to try to remain moved on from covid to the maximum possible.  But unfortunately it's still a thing and a big thing to some people and certainly to the health service.

Edited by Victorian

1 hour ago, Victorian said:

To be quite honest it should be you getting binned.

Won’t be happening vic . 

Jambo-Jimbo
11 hours ago, Gizmo said:

Now, really is the key word here, and that's largely down to the vaccines and how effective they have been in reducing the effects of covid in the vast majority of people, therefore I will happily take an annual covid jab alongside my flu jab.

8 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Now, really is the key word here, and that's largely down to the vaccines and how effective they have been in reducing the effects of covid in the vast majority of people, therefore I will happily take an annual covid jab alongside my flu jab.

I'm happy to get an annual booster too, it's got to be worth it in my view if it means symptoms will be less and recovery time quicker.

Jambo-Jimbo
33 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

I'm happy to get an annual booster too, it's got to be worth it in my view if it means symptoms will be less and recovery time quicker.

That's what medicines are all about, some can cure you whilst some can stop you getting really Ill.

The covid jab won't stop you from getting covid, nor will it cure you, but in the overwhelming majority of people it'll stop you getting really sick and might just save your life by doing so.

Dennis Reynolds
1 hour ago, Taffin said:

I'm assuming the new jabs will be prescription and paid for (in England)? The tax drain on this has to stop.

Tax drain? How much is it costing? Should we do the same for the free flu jabs for the elderly? What about Polio?

Letting people get ill and using up NHS resources when there's a cheap preventative measure is a bigger 'tax drain' than a yearly Jag ffs.

JudyJudyJudy
19 hours ago, kila said:

I'm sure James will be along shortly to say he won't be taking it

Wrong. I've recently had the 4th jab. I just prefer not to post on this thread really as it just bumps it up and gives covid the attention it doesn't deserve.

Also most of the comments are just regurgitated arguments from the last 2 years which i refuse to get involved in...mask wearing,death stats , bla bla bla  etc.  NO thanks. I've said my bit. Lets just get on with life. 

7 hours ago, Dirk McClaymore said:

I've tried everything else so might as well try this alternative therapy !

Tub, Draft, Neurofen.

I like it !

👍

JudyJudyJudy
6 minutes ago, Boab said:

Tub, Draft, Neurofen.

I like it !

👍

Def steaming hot water to clear your nose and airwaves and hopefully gets to the lungs too. That should help. 

24 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Wrong. I've recently had the 4th jab. I just prefer not to post on this thread really as it just bumps it up and gives covid the attention it doesn't deserve.

Also most of the comments are just regurgitated arguments from the last 2 years which i refuse to get involved in...mask wearing,death stats , bla bla bla  etc.  NO thanks. I've said my bit. Lets just get on with life. 

:laugh:

Get on with your life then instead of obsessing over this thread again?

JudyJudyJudy
Just now, kila said:

:laugh:

Get on with your life then instead of obsessing over this thread again?

Nope im only responding to the mention from you , 

2 hours ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

Tax drain? How much is it costing? Should we do the same for the free flu jabs for the elderly? What about Polio?

Letting people get ill and using up NHS resources when there's a cheap preventative measure is a bigger 'tax drain' than a yearly Jag ffs.

We could cure all sorts of we spent enough. Doesn't mean we do, or can afford too. I think most people are aware enough now of COVID and how to minimise they're risks and those who want them I'm sure would quite happily pay for the booster

Jambo-Jimbo
37 minutes ago, Taffin said:

We could cure all sorts of we spent enough. Doesn't mean we do, or can afford too. I think most people are aware enough now of COVID and how to minimise they're risks and those who want them I'm sure would quite happily pay for the booster

I can see it eventually ending up that If you are under 65 and have no serious underlying health conditions, then if you want a covid booster you pay for one......just like it was with the flu jab pre-covid.

il Duce McTarkin
7 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Oh I sessioned it out alright. 
Take a tank to stop me there at weekends  ☺️
Minus the hot tub and PD unfortunately😕

Good lad.

I should never have doubted your commitment, tbh.

3 hours ago, Boab said:

Tub, Draft, Neurofen.

I like it !

👍

Dirk McClaymore MD.

3 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Def steaming hot water to clear your nose and airwaves and hopefully gets to the lungs too. That should help. 

Drop a dollop of Vicks in the hot tub, james, and you'll cut about smelling like an early 90s rave for a week.

JudyJudyJudy
On 16/07/2022 at 16:15, Dirk McClaymore said:

Good lad.

I should never have doubted your commitment, tbh.

Dirk McClaymore MD.

Drop a dollop of Vicks in the hot tub, james, and you'll cut about smelling like an early 90s rave for a week.

I tried that with some nice smooth music and a bottle of poppers ! Fabulous 

il Duce McTarkin
5 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

I tried that with some nice smooth music and a bottle of poppers ! Fabulous 

Used to love the poppers. The proper amyl stuff, not the shitty isobutyl gear that's passed off as poppers these days.

JudyJudyJudy
5 hours ago, Dirk McClaymore said:

Used to love the poppers. The proper amyl stuff, not the shitty isobutyl gear that's passed off as poppers these days.

Aye things what they used to be , a pal still sniffs them , even watching telly ! 

Edited by JudyJudyJudy

SNP early lockdown bid not blocked by No 10

July 21 2022, The Times

Claims that Nicola Sturgeon was prevented from imposing an earlier lockdown in Scotland have been undermined by official correspondence.

Allies of the first minister have insisted the SNP government was pushing to impose pandemic restrictions earlier than her counterparts south of the border. The Scottish government was asked in a freedom of information request for the date Sturgeon received the first recommendation to put Scotland into lockdown.

It confirmed she was first advised to issue stay at home guidance in Scotland at the same time as the other UK nations, during a meeting of Cobra, the UK government’s emergency committee, on March 23, 2020.

The disclosure undermines claims that she was prevented from enacting a lockdown sooner.

In June 2020 Ben Macpherson, who was then migration minister, claimed Sturgeon was powerless to close Scotland’s borders before March 23. The following month Keith Brown, the SNP deputy leader, said Sturgeon could not impose a lockdown because there was no agreement on furlough pay.

However, the Scottish government correspondence shows Sturgeon made no effort to impose lockdown in Scotland earlier than Boris Johnson.

There was also no mention of advice on closing borders or seeking furlough prior to this date. It stated: “I can confirm the first minister received the first recommendation for Scotland to impose increased ‘social distancing’ also known as the ‘stay at home’ guidance which later became more commonly known as ‘lockdown’ at the Cobra meeting held on March 23, 2020.”

A spokeswoman for the Scottish government said it has always “been guided by the best and most up to date expert scientific and medical advice, working closely with governments across the UK”. She said: “The virus doesn’t respect borders or boundaries and it made sense to align our activity as much as possible.

“In the early stages of the pandemic and before the creation of the Scotland-specific Covid-19 advisory group the Scottish government received advice from Sage [the UK scientific advisory group for emergencies] via the UK government.

“However, ministers did not hesitate to do things differently if that was in the best interests of tackling the virus in Scotland. Examples of this approach include the announcements on banning mass gatherings and school closures that were made in advance of UK-wide decisions, and guidance issued by the Scottish government on the use of face coverings in enclosed public spaces.”

Opponents accused Sturgeon of making political capital out of announcing mitigation strategies agreed during four-nation Cobra meetings ahead of Johnson. She held her Covid press briefings at lunchtime, shortly after Cobra concluded, while Johnson’s briefings were made later in the day.

Westminster ministers subsequently discussed announcements during closed cabinet meetings before bringing them to Cobra, to prevent Sturgeon jumping the gun.

Behind the story

When Boris Johnson said two weeks ago that he would resign, Devi Sridhar tweeted it was “a real tragedy of history” that he was in power when Covid hit in early 2020.

The professor of global public health at Edinburgh University, a member of Nicola Sturgeon’s Covid advisory group, questioned how many of the 200,000 UK deaths would have been preventable “with early action to delay spread”.

Sridhar has previously claimed an independent Scotland under Sturgeon would have made different decisions if liberated from Westminster “constraints”. The new correspondence reveals Sturgeon sought no advice on lockdown prior to the four nations’ decision on March 23, 2020. Lockdown came up only once in the Scottish parliament before this date, when Scotland’s first Covid case was disclosed on March 3.

Elaine Smith, the Labour MSP, asked why Scots who followed their rugby team to Italy on February 22, the day several towns in Lombardy and Vento were put into lockdown, were not being tested. Smith also questioned why Sturgeon was not being more proactive by “recommending against large gatherings”.

https://apple.news/AGMaNTFvERYOkURqUjngUrA

JudyJudyJudy
18 minutes ago, Imaman said:

SNP early lockdown bid not blocked by No 10

July 21 2022, The Times

Claims that Nicola Sturgeon was prevented from imposing an earlier lockdown in Scotland have been undermined by official correspondence.

Allies of the first minister have insisted the SNP government was pushing to impose pandemic restrictions earlier than her counterparts south of the border. The Scottish government was asked in a freedom of information request for the date Sturgeon received the first recommendation to put Scotland into lockdown.

It confirmed she was first advised to issue stay at home guidance in Scotland at the same time as the other UK nations, during a meeting of Cobra, the UK government’s emergency committee, on March 23, 2020.

The disclosure undermines claims that she was prevented from enacting a lockdown sooner.

In June 2020 Ben Macpherson, who was then migration minister, claimed Sturgeon was powerless to close Scotland’s borders before March 23. The following month Keith Brown, the SNP deputy leader, said Sturgeon could not impose a lockdown because there was no agreement on furlough pay.

However, the Scottish government correspondence shows Sturgeon made no effort to impose lockdown in Scotland earlier than Boris Johnson.

There was also no mention of advice on closing borders or seeking furlough prior to this date. It stated: “I can confirm the first minister received the first recommendation for Scotland to impose increased ‘social distancing’ also known as the ‘stay at home’ guidance which later became more commonly known as ‘lockdown’ at the Cobra meeting held on March 23, 2020.”

A spokeswoman for the Scottish government said it has always “been guided by the best and most up to date expert scientific and medical advice, working closely with governments across the UK”. She said: “The virus doesn’t respect borders or boundaries and it made sense to align our activity as much as possible.

“In the early stages of the pandemic and before the creation of the Scotland-specific Covid-19 advisory group the Scottish government received advice from Sage [the UK scientific advisory group for emergencies] via the UK government.

“However, ministers did not hesitate to do things differently if that was in the best interests of tackling the virus in Scotland. Examples of this approach include the announcements on banning mass gatherings and school closures that were made in advance of UK-wide decisions, and guidance issued by the Scottish government on the use of face coverings in enclosed public spaces.”

Opponents accused Sturgeon of making political capital out of announcing mitigation strategies agreed during four-nation Cobra meetings ahead of Johnson. She held her Covid press briefings at lunchtime, shortly after Cobra concluded, while Johnson’s briefings were made later in the day.

Westminster ministers subsequently discussed announcements during closed cabinet meetings before bringing them to Cobra, to prevent Sturgeon jumping the gun.

Behind the story

When Boris Johnson said two weeks ago that he would resign, Devi Sridhar tweeted it was “a real tragedy of history” that he was in power when Covid hit in early 2020.

The professor of global public health at Edinburgh University, a member of Nicola Sturgeon’s Covid advisory group, questioned how many of the 200,000 UK deaths would have been preventable “with early action to delay spread”.

Sridhar has previously claimed an independent Scotland under Sturgeon would have made different decisions if liberated from Westminster “constraints”. The new correspondence reveals Sturgeon sought no advice on lockdown prior to the four nations’ decision on March 23, 2020. Lockdown came up only once in the Scottish parliament before this date, when Scotland’s first Covid case was disclosed on March 3.

Elaine Smith, the Labour MSP, asked why Scots who followed their rugby team to Italy on February 22, the day several towns in Lombardy and Vento were put into lockdown, were not being tested. Smith also questioned why Sturgeon was not being more proactive by “recommending against large gatherings”.

https://apple.news/AGMaNTFvERYOkURqUjngUrA

And she claimed she wasn’t playing politics . Shameful . 

manaliveits105
On 21/07/2022 at 10:35, JudyJudyJudy said:

And she claimed she wasn’t playing politics . Shameful . 

STURGEON 100% LIAR 

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )