Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

JudyJudyJudy
3 hours ago, escobri said:

I'll go for a 3 week spike.

Yes 

1 hour ago, pablo said:

Not bad excuse to delay next year's referendum though. No laughing now.

Obviously Sturgeon's plan was wrong and she should have followed Boris :vrface:

Remember she and her personal trainer said they were going to eliminate it :rofl:

It wouldn’t surprise me . She needs some excuse to delay an Indy day . Good old reliable covid ! 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jambo-Jimbo
54 minutes ago, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

I arrived in Lanzarote last week and didn't have to show my covid vaccs. They may  be doing random checks though as there was a desk just after passport control. 

Same with Madrid, we just held out our covid passes which they barely even looked at, I suppose they would scan the odd random certificate, also if you looked ill I guess they'd test you right there, as there were 3 or 4 tables which looked set up for testing.

Jeffros Furios
1 hour ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

He’s right though 

How do you know ? 

Malinga the Swinga
15 hours ago, escobri said:

Screenshot_20220619-063828_Twitter.thumb.jpg.2e85dc97bf854c1b51c02bf0e70c7c34.jpg

Who actually cares if he tested positive? Do we require all people testing positive to post their test results for public consumption. His desperation to be in public eye is never ending.

2 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Who actually cares if he tested positive? Do we require all people testing positive to post their test results for public consumption. His desperation to be in public eye is never ending.

Escobri does, apparently.

13 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Escobri does, apparently.

Yip, me me laugh aswell, hopefully he's stocked up on tissues.

JudyJudyJudy
14 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

I couldn’t give a flying fevk about him 

Hopefully just the beginning,  needless loss of many lives plus who knows how many injuries from the jibby jabs.

Jeffros Furios
30 minutes ago, escobri said:

Hopefully just the beginning,  needless loss of many lives plus who knows how many injuries from the jibby jabs.

:cornette:

Jeffros Furios
7 minutes ago, escobri said:
9 minutes ago, escobri said:

:rat:

:lenny:

58 minutes ago, escobri said:

The pay outs begin.  
£120k is nothing though should be way more than that

1 hour ago, escobri said:

And so it begins.....

2 points:

1)The cap of 120k for a life or serious injury is not enough.

2)This is being funded out of the public purse - not by big pharma.

SuperstarSteve

The recent fauci video doing the rounds on Twitter as pressure heats up on him regarding his funding to China. 

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
4 minutes ago, SuperstarSteve said:

The recent fauci video doing the rounds on Twitter as pressure heats up on him regarding his funding to China. 

There were one or two fauci fan boys on here

:lion:

JudyJudyJudy
35 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Variant BA point, two, point, one, two, point, one :rofl:

Feck off 

I ken, Most people , quite rightly don't give a feck. 

indianajones
47 minutes ago, SuperstarSteve said:

There are no coincidences when it comes to these criminals. 

Nucky Thompson
10 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

I ken, Most people , quite rightly don't give a feck. 

It's now catching up with the people who managed to avoid it before.

Everybody and I mean everybody is going to catch it at some point.

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Yep. 

Jambo 4 Ever
14 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Not necessarily 

Jambo-Jimbo
14 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Yip, 2 and half years I managed to avoid it and zap it got me, just in the last couple of weeks.

Fortunately I was only feeling like crap for a couple of days, but it's the ongoing fatigue that's getting to me.

And I agree that over the course of this thing, I think that pretty much everybody will catch covid at least once, some might catch it many times, before the virus runs it's natural course.  Imo it's pretty naive to think that you will never catch this thing, it might be next week or next year or in 20 years time, but sooner or later near enough everybody will get this virus at some stage in their life.

It isn't just catching up with people who have avoided it up until now.  It's catching up with everyone,  regardless of whether they've avoided it.  It's even catching up with people who were caught up on fairly recently with the early Omicron versions.  

Latest thinking is that around 90% of people in the UK have been infected at some point since the original Wuhan strain.  That involves a fairly significant percentage of asymptomatic infections and 'barely noticed' infections.  

It looks very much like it's going to pulse up and down for quite some time yet.  Cyclical every 3 or 4 months.  Very unlikely to become seasonal but still subject to some seasonal forcing inputs.

Dennis Denuto
1 hour ago, Victorian said:

It isn't just catching up with people who have avoided it up until now.  It's catching up with everyone,  regardless of whether they've avoided it.  It's even catching up with people who were caught up on fairly recently with the early Omicron versions.  

Latest thinking is that around 90% of people in the UK have been infected at some point since the original Wuhan strain.  That involves a fairly significant percentage of asymptomatic infections and 'barely noticed' infections.  

It looks very much like it's going to pulse up and down for quite some time yet.  Cyclical every 3 or 4 months.  Very unlikely to become seasonal but still subject to some seasonal forcing inputs.

Are you saying that people have been catching Omicron twice?

56 minutes ago, Dennis Denuto said:

Are you saying that people have been catching Omicron twice?

Yeah.  It's fairly common.  

Curiously though,  it now seems to be the era of multiple sub-variants of (omicron) rather than each different variant being given a distinctly different 'name'.  

But yes,  it's been said many times that infection neutralising antibodies of early omicron are not making a dent in recent omicron.  As ever,  it seems to be that protection against acute illness is holding up well.

Source of polio virus could be narrowed down 'to individual households or streets', minister says.

The source of the polio virus discovered in a London sewage works could be narrowed down to a house or street, a health minister has said.

Lord Kamall said relevant agencies were now using "world-beating" tools to work out how to "go along the pipe" to locate where the virus came from.

"In theory, it might be possible to find individual households or streets," he added.

The UK Health Security Agency declared a national incident on Wednesday after traces of the virus were found during routine surveillance at the Beckton Sewage Treatment Works.

Dennis Denuto
20 hours ago, Victorian said:

Yeah.  It's fairly common.  

Curiously though,  it now seems to be the era of multiple sub-variants of (omicron) rather than each different variant being given a distinctly different 'name'.  

But yes,  it's been said many times that infection neutralising antibodies of early omicron are not making a dent in recent omicron.  As ever,  it seems to be that protection against acute illness is holding up well.

Thanks Vic, I only asked as I've not really been following things recently, I think I have already committed enough mental load to Covid.

Interesting stuff though as I had always kind of assumed each re-infection, except in a few isolated cases, would be from a complete new variant with a whole new branding that comes along with it. It makes me wonder why there isn't free testing back up and running then as it has been a while since people were boosted.

1 hour ago, Dennis Denuto said:

Thanks Vic, I only asked as I've not really been following things recently, I think I have already committed enough mental load to Covid.

Interesting stuff though as I had always kind of assumed each re-infection, except in a few isolated cases, would be from a complete new variant with a whole new branding that comes along with it. It makes me wonder why there isn't free testing back up and running then as it has been a while since people were boosted.

Well the over-arching guiding principle surely has to continue to be that there are no restrictions and only background surveillance as long as demand on the NHS remains at a low or lower level.  I saw it said that there have been 3 different eras to coronavirus.  2020 was the year of lockdowns.  2021 the year of new variants.  2022 is the year of re-infection.  Some are saying that it will continue to wave in a cyclical pattern of 3 or 4 months.  That's more or less in line with the periodic times that one can expect to encounter a common cold on each occasion.  So it looks like it may mimic the behaviour of less serious viruses in that way.  But it's much,  much more infectious than cold or flu,  so that seems to exclude the possibility of it diminishing to a lower reservoir of circulating virus.  Essentially it is here to stay and people are very likely to encounter a regular re-infection.  

A recent theory said that 90% of people have been infected at some point.  Probably at least half have barely noticed.  Everyone will surely keep on getting an infection.  The immune system supposedly enhances it's overall performance in response to the range of infections it meets and remembers.  So most people should continue to see mostly insignificant symptoms,  etc.

Edited by Victorian

Jambo-Jimbo
1 hour ago, Victorian said:

Well the over-arching guiding principle surely has to continue to be that there are no restrictions and only background surveillance as long as demand on the NHS remains at a low or lower level.  I saw it said that there have been 3 different eras to coronavirus.  2020 was the year of lockdowns.  2021 the year of new variants.  2022 is the year of re-infection.  Some are saying that it will continue to wave in a cyclical pattern of 3 or 4 months.  That's more or less in line with the periodic times that one can expect to encounter a common cold on each occasion.  So it looks like it may mimic the behaviour of less serious viruses in that way.  But it's much,  much more infectious than cold or flu,  so that seems to exclude the possibility of it diminishing to a lower reservoir of circulating virus.  Essentially it is here to stay and people are very likely to encounter a regular re-infection.  

A recent theory said that 90% of people have been infected at some point.  Probably at least half have barely noticed.  Everyone will surely keep on getting an infection.  The immune system supposedly enhances it's overall performance in response to the range of infections it meets and remembers.  So most people should continue to see mostly insignificant symptoms,  etc.

You could put money on that, for sure.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
8 hours ago, Victorian said:

Essentially it is here to stay and people are very likely to encounter a regular re-infection The immune system supposedly enhances it's overall performance in response to the range of infections it meets and remembers.

the tin-foil hatters were saying way back that the vaccine would restrict the flexibility of the immune system to perform as a ‘free’ immune system and would struggle to bat-off re-infection

there was quite an interesting video illustrating the newly-restricted immune system via an American football defence - it’s probably been fact-checked and debunked (by a website that’s been fact-checked and debunked)

also seeing that life companies are observing as yet unexplained increased deaths within the working-age population so will be interesting to see the outcome of that investigation as failure to track down the cause will affect their profits (assuming it continues to happen)

restrictions of some sort re-introduced for winter looks like a possibility and I wouldn't necessarily be against it

:(

Edited by MoncurMacdonaldMercer

Dennis Reynolds
4 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

also seeing that life companies are observing as yet unexplained increased deaths within the working-age population so will be interesting to see the outcome of that investigation as failure to track down the cause will affect their profits (assuming it continues to happen)

Link plz.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
1 minute ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

Link plz.

I don’t do links mate

google it or something it’s more fun that way 😃👍

Dennis Reynolds
1 minute ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

I don’t do links mate

google it or something it’s more fun that way 😃👍

I did Google it and found absolutely nothing to back it up, which is why I asked.

Quicker just saying your making up stuff though. Maybe keep that in mind next time 'mate'.

15 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

the tin-foil hatters were saying way back that the vaccine would restrict the flexibility of the immune system to perform as a ‘free’ immune system and would struggle to bat-off re-infection

there was quite an interesting video illustrating the newly-restricted immune system via an American football defence - it’s probably been fact-checked and debunked (by a website that’s been fact-checked and debunked)

restrictions of some sort re-introduced for winter looks like a possibility and I wouldn't necessarily be against it

:(

Actually,  that is a real thing.  It's termed immunity imprinting.  It's a theory that describes the immune system producing the wrong immunological response to an acquired infection as a result of being primed towards a different version of a pathogen.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
20 minutes ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

I did Google it and found absolutely nothing to back it up, which is why I asked.

Quicker just saying your making up stuff though. Maybe keep that in mind next time 'mate'.

it will maybe filter through to whatever searches you are doing at some point

if I was going to make something up I would have embellished at bit more with something like ‘early findings are suggesting that it’s due to xyz’ or whatever suited the purpose of the thing I was making up

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
21 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Actually,  that is a real thing.  It's termed immunity imprinting.  It's a theory that describes the immune system producing the wrong immunological response to an acquired infection as a result of being primed towards a different version of a pathogen.

the video seemed quite interesting - like in our football terms playing 4-4-2 the opposition being the virus makes a tactical switch we plod on with our now ineffective 4-4-2 where’s a ‘free’-immune system would recognise the oppositions tactical change quicker and be more flexible to counter-act it

6 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

the video seemed quite interesting - like in our football terms playing 4-4-2 the opposition being the virus makes a tactical switch we plod on with our now ineffective 4-4-2 where’s a ‘free’-immune system would recognise the oppositions tactical change quicker and be more flexible to counter-act it

Yes I read an article about it.  It might tend to explain the very limited neutralising antibody response towards up to date variants.  But the cellular immunity side of vaccine immunisations is much more important.  It's what keeps people out of hospital and there's no reason to believe it's waning very much,  or at all.

Fxxx the SPFL

Me and the wife are hibernating for next ten days going on a cruise and you must have a negative antigen test £60 at Randox feckin joke basically travel anywhere by plane and you don’t need one why bloody on a cruise liner 🛳 booo 

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )