Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Malinga the Swinga
8 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

Me and the wife are hibernating for next ten days going on a cruise and you must have a negative antigen test £60 at Randox feckin joke basically travel anywhere by plane and you don’t need one why bloody on a cruise liner 🛳 booo 

Probably because the cruise ships when this kicked off were floating Petrie dishes of infectious bacteria. Once onboard and cruise at sea, there was no hiding place to avoid it. Presume they're keen to avoid it happening again 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Real Maroonblood
9 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

Me and the wife are hibernating for next ten days going on a cruise and you must have a negative antigen test £60 at Randox feckin joke basically travel anywhere by plane and you don’t need one why bloody on a cruise liner 🛳 booo 

It is farcical.

You can get of the ship at a port, mix with people then get back on the ship.

My daughter and family are on a cruise just now.

Just now, The Real Maroonblood said:

It is farcical.

Was just thinking the same thing.  

Fxxx the SPFL
4 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Probably because the cruise ships when this kicked off were floating Petrie dishes of infectious bacteria. Once onboard and cruise at sea, there was no hiding place to avoid it. Presume they're keen to avoid it happening again 

Yep I get that they want to be seen to be squeaky clean now but 300 people crammed on a plane 😪

Fxxx the SPFL
5 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

It is farcical.

Where are they 

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, **** the SPFL said:

Where are they 

Mediterranean area.

Marsellie, Barcelona, Naples and a few others but don’t know which ones.

Nucky Thompson
32 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

Load of shite that they are still making covid a thing to treat differently than other airborne virus.

It's turned into the fecking cold FFS 

Jeffros Furios
14 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Mediterranean area.

Marsellie, Barcelona, Naples and a few others but don’t know which ones.

Did they leave from Southampton today ? 

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, Jeffros Furios said:

From Barcelona last Sunday.

Fxxx the SPFL
12 minutes ago, Jeffros Furios said:

Southampton for us next Friday delayed Ruby Wedding Anniversary from last year Cadiz Barcelona Marseille Florence Pisa Sardinia and Gibraltar 14 days about six at sea plenty time to explore the boat 

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

Southampton for us next Friday delayed Ruby Wedding Anniversary from last year Cadiz Barcelona Marseille Florence Pisa Sardinia and Gibraltar 14 days about six at sea plenty time to explore the boat 

Good luck.

Jambo-Jimbo
56 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Load of shite that they are still making covid a thing to treat differently than other airborne virus.

It's turned into the fecking cold FFS 

I can assure you it was more akin to the flu, that both me & Mrs JJ have just had. 

Floored we were, still not right, nowhere near it, in fact Mrs JJ only tested negative today for the first time since last week, that's a week she's had this thing. 

I wish it was just like a cold.

Nucky Thompson
2 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I can assure you it was more akin to the flu, that both me & Mrs JJ have just had. 

Floored we were, still not right, nowhere near it, in fact Mrs JJ only tested negative today for the first time since last week, that's a week she's had this thing. 

I wish it was just like a cold.

I didn't mean to play it down for everyone JJ and I hope you and the Mrs get well soon. All people get different symptoms.

I was meaning that the killer it was at the start now seems to have turned into something that most people recover from.

I was still testing positive till day 13 even though I only had mild symptoms for 4 days

I’m a bit thick about this.

If they can make a test (LFT) that can (apparently) detect all variants of Covid, why not make a vaccine that targets the bit that the test recognises as Covid?

Apologies if that’s a really stupid question.

Jambo-Jimbo
10 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I didn't mean to play it down for everyone JJ and I hope you and the Mrs get well soon. All people get different symptoms.

I was meaning that the killer it was at the start now seems to have turned into something that most people recover from.

I was still testing positive till day 13 even though I only had mild symptoms for 4 days

And that is down to the vaccines, imo.

Pattern from UKto AUS to the US, excess deaths continue to be above average, record calls for cardiac problems in young men. Something ain't right. Effects from covid/ vaccines? Something else?

IMG_20220625_101117_223.jpg

il Duce McTarkin
14 minutes ago, escobri said:

Effects from covid/ vaccines? Something else?

Long term effects of covid, maybe?

Footballfirst
10 minutes ago, Dirk McClaymore said:

Long term effects of covid, maybe?

At the beginning of the pandemic and the first lockdown excess deaths were also higher than those just attributed to Covid.

In Scotland's case it appears that increase was mainly recorded as "dementia" or "alzheimer's". It is almost certain that these excess deaths were also the result of Covid, but not diagnosed as such due to lack of testing capability and the rapid impact on vulnerable people.

The number of excess deaths in Scotland

11 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

At the beginning of the pandemic and the first lockdown excess deaths were also higher than those just attributed to Covid.

In Scotland's case it appears that increase was mainly recorded as "dementia" or "alzheimer's". It is almost certain that these excess deaths were also the result of Covid, but not diagnosed as such due to lack of testing capability and the rapid impact on vulnerable people.

The number of excess deaths in Scotland

All charts re excess deaths I see are always against 5 year average, how would the numbers be say against last 10/15years? Seems our countries health is deterioring for a variety of factors.

Footballfirst
33 minutes ago, escobri said:

All charts re excess deaths I see are always against 5 year average, how would the numbers be say against last 10/15years? Seems our countries health is deterioring for a variety of factors.

I'd suggest that average life expectancy would be a better measure. That has been rising steadily since Victorian times, bar a short period during WW1. In 2000 the UK figure was 77.2, 2005-78.4, 2010-79.7, 2015-80.9 and 2020-81.2.

I'd expect that the gradual increase will have reversed over the last couple of years due to Covid plus more specific reasons, such as drug deaths in Scotland.

Living longer however doesn't mean living healthier. With age comes more illness and diseases. Better treatments and medications also keep people alive longer than would have happened in the past.

My gut feel that is that, as a population, the post WW2 improvements in health and physical wellbeing due to better diet and hygiene started to slow down as early as the 1970s. The more recent  improvement is more likely to be down to the reduction in smoking and better treatments.

Edited by Footballfirst

Dennis Denuto
2 hours ago, escobri said:

Pattern from UKto AUS to the US, excess deaths continue to be above average, record calls for cardiac problems in young men. Something ain't right. Effects from covid/ vaccines? Something else?

IMG_20220625_101117_223.jpg

The UK excess deaths are not above the five year average for 2022 by any excessive amount, not sure where you are getting your information from

Geoff Kilpatrick
9 minutes ago, Dennis Denuto said:

The UK excess deaths are not above the five year average for 2022 by any excessive amount, not sure where you are getting your information from

A suitable echo chamber is my best guess

18 minutes ago, Dennis Denuto said:

Although only Scotland week 24, 17% above 5 year average. 

1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

I'd suggest that average life expectancy would be a better measure. That has been rising steadily since Victorian times, bar a short period during WW1. In 2000 the UK figure was 77.2, 2005-78.4, 2010-79.7, 2015-80.9 and 2020-81.2.

I'd expect that the gradual increase will have reversed over the last couple of years due to Covid plus more specific reasons, such as drug deaths in Scotland.

Living longer however doesn't mean living healthier. With age comes more illness and diseases. Better treatments and medications also keep people alive longer than would have happened in the past.

My gut feel that is that, as a population, the post WW2 improvements in health and physical wellbeing due to better diet and hygiene started to slow down as early as the 1970s. The more recent  improvement is more likely to be down to the reduction in smoking and better treatments.

Yes probably too many changes to lifestyle and healthcare for any long term comparisons.

39 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Seeing as last one tickled you 🤣 You caught the sniffles yet then? I come in peace honest 🙏

20220625_130204.jpg

Dennis Denuto
On 25/06/2022 at 13:13, escobri said:

Although only Scotland week 24, 17% above 5 year average. 

Single weeks can fluctuate for a number of reasons, just like the weeks where it was significantly below the 'average'. 

Footballfirst

Here is a breakdown of excess deaths by cause in Scotland for 2022.  The 5 year average is based on 2016-2019 and 2021, following international agreement to omit 2020 from the figures.  IIRC there were a lot of Covid deaths early in 2021, so they will influence the average figures for those weeks, as do continuing covid deaths to the recent excesses  

image.thumb.png.22f3df871df0af524fed1d5cdf0d8376.png

There has been a notable upturn in "circulatory" deaths (coronary heart disease, strokes etc) since the middle of April.  "Other causes" are also up but there is no further breakdown. That figure could include drug related deaths, suicides, accidents etc., but without a further breakdown it's impossible to confirm. 

John Findlay
On 24/06/2022 at 21:14, **** the SPFL said:

You will get a decent pint in Gib.

Fxxx the SPFL
1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

You will get a decent pint in Gib.

last leg of the trip John will get a taxi/bus or whatever mode of transport up to the top have a square go with any Barbary Ape that comes near enough and gentle stroll down the hill for som liquid refreshment :toasting:

John Findlay
19 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

last leg of the trip John will get a taxi/bus or whatever mode of transport up to the top have a square go with any Barbary Ape that comes near enough and gentle stroll down the hill for som liquid refreshment :toasting:

Lol. Best way up is the cable car. The view is spectacular.

Fxxx the SPFL
10 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Lol. Best way up is the cable car. The view is spectacular.

:thumbs_up: cheers John

On 25/06/2022 at 13:44, escobri said:

Seeing as last one tickled you 🤣 You caught the sniffles yet then? I come in peace honest 🙏

20220625_130204.jpg

My normally healthy 13 year old has been diagnosed with Posteral Tachycardia Syndrome 😞

He had been getting bouts of dizziness and extreme fatigue. 

They diagnosed it by his heart rate jumping over 100 from lying down to standing up.

He only started getting these symptoms after getting the vaccine.  

His dr has pretty much said vaccine caused this. 

Getting advice on how we should proceed by taking this further 

indianajones
3 hours ago, GBJambo said:

My normally healthy 13 year old has been diagnosed with Posteral Tachycardia Syndrome 😞

They diagnosed it by his heart rate jumping over 100 from lying down to standing up.

That's shocking. 

Lord Montpelier
4 hours ago, GBJambo said:

That's awful. I hope it settles for him. Good luck. 

17 hours ago, GBJambo said:

Sorry to hear this, wishing yous all the best. 

Bindy Badgy
On 25/06/2022 at 13:53, Dennis Denuto said:

On 25/06/2022 at 14:03, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

But the image has "Lies" written all over it in big red letters. It's obvioulsy the work of a highly rational and competent scientist. How could anyone not believe it?

4 hours ago, Bindy Badgy said:

But the image has "Lies" written all over it in big red letters. It's obvioulsy the work of a highly rational and competent scientist. How could anyone not believe it?

Deaths still down I see 👀,  birth rates shooting up aswell 👀

Screenshot_20220628-174259_Twitter.jpg

Footballfirst

The BoJo promised Covid inquiry is now officially underway (two days after bereaved families threatened to seek Judicial Review of the delays).

The Terms of Reference are included in BoJo's statement.

https://questions-statements.parliament.uk/written-statements/detail/2022-06-28/hcws152

In meeting its aims, the Inquiry will:

a) consider any disparities evident in the impact of the pandemic on different categories of people, including, but not limited to, those relating to protected characteristics under the Equality Act 2010 and equality categories under the Northern Ireland Act 1998;

b) listen to and consider carefully the experiences of bereaved families and others who have suffered hardship or loss as a result of the pandemic. Although the Inquiry will not consider in detail individual cases of harm or death, listening to these accounts will inform its understanding of the impact of the pandemic and the response, and of the lessons to be learned;

c) highlight where lessons identified from preparedness and the response to the pandemic may be applicable to other civil emergencies;

d) have reasonable regard to relevant international comparisons; and

e) produce its reports (including interim reports) and any recommendations in a timely manner.

The aims of the Inquiry are to:

1. Examine the COVID-19 response and the impact of the pandemic in England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland, and produce a factual narrative account, including:

a) The public health response across the whole of the UK, including

i) preparedness and resilience;

ii) how decisions were made, communicated, recorded, and implemented;

iii) decision-making between the governments of the UK;

iv) the roles of, and collaboration between, central government, devolved administrations, regional and local authorities, and the voluntary and community sector;

v) the availability and use of data, research and expert evidence;

vi) legislative and regulatory control and enforcement;

vii) shielding and the protection of the clinically vulnerable;

viii) the use of lockdowns and other ‘non-pharmaceutical’ interventions such as social distancing and the use of face coverings;

ix) testing and contact tracing, and isolation;

x) the impact on the mental health and wellbeing of the population, including but not limited to those who were harmed significantly by the pandemic;

xi) the impact on the mental health and wellbeing of the bereaved, including post-bereavement support;

xii) the impact on health and care sector workers and other key workers;

xiii) the impact on children and young people, including health, wellbeing and social care;

xiv) education and early years provision;

xv) the closure and reopening of the hospitality, retail, sport and leisure, and travel and tourism sectors, places of worship, and cultural institutions;

xvi) housing and homelessness;

xvii) safeguarding and support for victims of domestic abuse;

xviii) prisons and other places of detention;

xix) the justice system;

xx) immigration and asylum;

xxi) travel and borders; and

xxii) the safeguarding of public funds and management of financial risk.

b) The response of the health and care sector across the UK, including:

i) preparedness, initial capacity and the ability to increase capacity, and resilience;

ii) initial contact with official healthcare advice services such as 111 and 999;

iii) the role of primary care settings such as General Practice;

iv) the management of the pandemic in hospitals, including infection prevention and control, triage, critical care capacity, the discharge of patients, the use of ‘Do not attempt cardiopulmonary resuscitation’ (DNACPR) decisions, the approach to palliative care, workforce testing, changes to inspections, and the impact on staff and staffing levels;

v) the management of the pandemic in care homes and other care settings, including infection prevention and control, the transfer of residents to or from homes, treatment and care of residents, restrictions on visiting, workforce testing and changes to inspections;

vi) care in the home, including by unpaid carers;

vii) antenatal and postnatal care;

viii) the procurement and distribution of key equipment and supplies, including PPE and ventilators;

ix) the development, delivery and impact of therapeutics and vaccines;

x) the consequences of the pandemic on provision for non-COVID related conditions and needs; and

xi) provision for those experiencing long-COVID.

c) The economic response to the pandemic and its impact, including governmental interventions by way of:

i) support for businesses, jobs and the self-employed, including the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme, the Self-Employment Income Support Scheme, loans schemes, business rates relief and grants;

ii) additional funding for relevant public services;

iii) additional funding for the voluntary and community sector; and

iv) benefits and sick pay, and support for vulnerable people.

2. Identify the lessons to be learned from the above, to inform preparations for future pandemics across the UK.”

Footballfirst
42 minutes ago, escobri said:
First Big Bird now Elmo. My tickle me Elmo is going in the bin. 😥

I hope that you manage to get to sleep tonight without your special cuddly toy. 🥱

Have we shaved the bottoms of doors yet? 

Snubbing my ventilation advice caused Covid deaths, says expert

June 30 2022, The Times

A leading microbiologist has said that lives were lost to Covid-19 because her advice on ventilation was ignored at the start of the pandemic.

Dr Stephanie Dancer was among a group of experts who tried to highlight the need to thoroughly ventilate enclosed spaces amid concerns that the main focus was on people contracting the disease via their hands.

Research is increasingly pointing to evidence that the virus can spread over long distances indoors.

In an editorial in the British Medical Journal Dancer called for a “revolution” in the approach to the flow of air in indoor public places, to reduce the death toll of Covid-19 and other illnesses.

“We need to protect people both in healthcare and in the community as well,” she said yesterday. “If we do not grasp the nettle right now there will be another pandemic along the way. This is a wake-up call to sort out indoor air quality. I do not want the suffering to be in vain.”

Dancer, who works for NHS Lanarkshire and had conducted research into the way viruses spread, said she was contacted in 2020 by other experts.

As the World Health Organisation (WHO) focused on the virus being transmitted by droplets on surfaces and the implementation of social distancing, she said she became one of the international experts dubbed the Group of 36 who lobbied for a change of emphasis.

She and her colleagues urged the WHO to reassess their approach and suggested “that the virus is actually spreading outwith the two-metre [social distancing] zone. We think there is long-range aerosol spread.”

Dancer said that the Group of 36 were initially laughed at and then ignored. She wrote in the medical journal: “Just as the world woke up to a pandemic, a small group of determined scientists, including this author, appealed for consideration of airborne spread.

“Their advice was summarily dismissed. And so the group — in common with the pioneers of tuberculosis transmission — provided an ingredient that scientists seldom mention: a mission to convince unbelievers.”

Dancer told The Times that NHS Lanarkshire calculated how to reduce the risk of patients catching Covid on wards by opening windows in all four-bed bays, and did this within three weeks, which she believes saved lives.

With Covid cases rising again in Scotland, she said that safety standards must be set for ventilating all hospital wards and other public places.

She noted that lavatories were a potential transmission risk because they were small spaces, often poorly ventilated and used by people in succession. Dancer added: “If aunt Anne goes to the cinema and sits there for two-and-a-half hours watching Elvis and the cinema is poorly ventilated, it does not matter how far apart people are. If there is one person in there who is asymptomatic or pre-symptomatic, the so-called superspreader, there will be enough infectious virus to infect everyone in the cinema. Aunt Anne gets it and aunt Anne dies.”

She noted that standards were set for water quality and the treatment of sewage but not for ventilation. “Doing it is going to be difficult. It is going to cost a lot, but we have no choice,” she said.

Dancer’s editorial was published in the journal alongside a review of 18 studies that suggested Covid-19 could be transmitted indoors to others who were more than two metres apart. The researchers on the review, from the UK Health Security Agency and Bristol University, said that there should be further investigation of the potential for wide-range indoor spread.

Discover more from The Times

https://apple.news/ApWABSa4KS96k4wuLwmdIPg

A number of Glastonbury Festival revellers have reported testing positive for COVID-19 in the days after the music event.

An estimated 200,000 music fans flocked to Worthy Farm in east Somerset for the 37th iteration of Glastonbury last week.

Crowds gathered to watch headliners Billie Eilish, Paul McCartney and Kendrick Lamar along with scores of other artists for the world's biggest outdoor festival.

Just now, Imaman said:

A number of Glastonbury Festival revellers have reported testing positive for COVID-19 in the days after the music event.

An estimated 200,000 music fans flocked to Worthy Farm in east Somerset for the 37th iteration of Glastonbury last week.

Crowds gathered to watch headliners Billie Eilish, Paul McCartney and Kendrick Lamar along with scores of other artists for the world's biggest outdoor festival.

latest numbers show an increase of 32% in cases up to week ending 24th june (beginning of glastonbury). the breakdown is 1 in 30 in england and wales, 1 in 25 in northern ireland and 1 in 18 in scotland for people having covid over that time

Nucky Thompson
50 minutes ago, Imaman said:

Lol. Is that supposed to be news :lol:

Some people caught covid when mingling with 200,000 other people over a number of days.

Who would believe it :cornette:

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )