Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Nucky Thompson
1 minute ago, coconut doug said:

Why do it in the first place then?

26 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

Why do it in the first place then?

They were using PCR tests to try and detect new variants coming into the country. That didn't work with the Omicron variant because we had to rely on South Africa to detect it and by the time it was detected it was too late.

You'll never stop variants as contagious as omicron anyway.

The Lateral flow tests that we are using just now are a total waste of time.

There's no point in restricting the travel industry for no reason

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

Is this your opinion

No it’s based on facts about masks. https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public/when-and-how-to-use-masks#:~:text=Clean your hands before you,use masks with valves.

The behaviour factor is related in part to people having a few bevvies then forgetting to follow the rules. 

16 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

Wouldn't it be more necessary to have more social distancing in venues where ventilation was poor? You seem to be suggesting that people would catch it anyway, so why bother but doesn't length of exposure time and viral load form a major part of the risk?

Yes. 

It does.

2 hours ago, Gards said:

Why do surgeons wear masks when performing operations?

To prevent contamination via the usage of masks that meet a specified criteria, in theory at least.

The below articles are an interesting read though: 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4480558/

https://www.medpagetoday.com/infectiousdisease/infectioncontrol/16278

Why don't they wear non-surgical face coverings instead?

Edited by Taffin

11 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

You'll never stop variants

Even ones developing in the UK.
As we seen have throughout this pandemic border restrictions slow down if anything but don’t prevent variants coming into the country. Coconut Dug is doing his usual today, questioning everything, demanding answers and looking for a fight. I’m sure he must have been a teacher at one time. 😉

1 hour ago, coconut doug said:

If this is correct then isn't social distancing pointless as well? Wouldn't it also be pointless to limit numbers in indoor venues?

Don't these restrictions actually work in combination and isn't that why Scotland has many thousand fewer (pro rata) infections and scores fewer deaths compared to England? 

If you think i'm wrong could you explain why?

Has anyone ever done this, has a government ever advertised this, 

during the many briefings given by PM FMs and Health Professionals ever recommended this to the population? Not to my knowledge. 

It’s amazing to watch people using masks very few do it properly. Although using them albeit incorrect t will have some effect I’m sure. 
On the Mask thread way back I posted links about types of masks and the proper way to use them. 

https://openwho.org/courses/COVID-19-mask-use

Edited by Boy Daniel

2 hours ago, Boy Daniel said:

All Covid testing requirements for vaccinated travellers arriving into the UK are to be scrapped, the government has confirmed.

The ‘day two’ lateral flow test that double-jabbed arrivals must currently undertake will no longer be necessary, according to the prime minister.

“You will see changes so that people arriving no longer have to take tests if they have been vaccinated, if they have been double vaccinated,” Boris Johnson said.

“Thanks to the tough decisions, I think people will agree we got the big calls right... we are now moving through the Omicron wave. So what we’re doing on travel to show this country is open for business, people arriving no longer have to take tests if they’ve been double vaccinated.”

Come on Scotland we are watching and waiting. 

Yes England well ahead of us in ditching unnecessary " protections". She wants it to go on for years it seems ( masks) 

The mask mandate especially in pubs and restaurants where you can sit and eat but only required to wear a mask when moving around is pointless especially with a highly contagious variant. 

It is ludicrous 

The Mighty Thor
12 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes England well ahead of us in ditching unnecessary " protections". She wants it to go on for years it seems ( masks) 

She really doesn't. I posted her EXACT WORDS to you earlier when you tried to get your pish poor trolling effort to fly.

Stop posting shite. There's a good lad. 👍

The Real Maroonblood
5 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

She really doesn't. I posted her EXACT WORDS to you earlier when you tried to get your pish poor trolling effort to fly.

The poster can’t help it.

Ex member of the SaS
56 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Only posting part of what she says doesn't prove your point. 

'But masks … are something we can do. None of us enjoy wearing them but they are perhaps not the biggest handicap to endure in order to try to stem transmission.

'So while they can make a difference to controlling the virus then i think it is something we should do.

While she says she hopes not she doesn't rule out keeping mask restrictions ( sorry protections ) in place.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10432273/Nicola-Sturgeon-refuses-rule-keeping-Scotlands-mask-laws-place-YEARS.html

Edited by Ex member of the SaS

2 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

They were using PCR tests to try and detect new variants coming into the country. That didn't work with the Omicron variant because we had to rely on South Africa to detect it and by the time it was detected it was too late.

You'll never stop variants as contagious as omicron anyway.

The Lateral flow tests that we are using just now are a total waste of time.

There's no point in restricting the travel industry for no reason

At the same time as abolishing tests for travellers they are planning to sack NHS workers who do not have the booster. People with the same level of vaccination can fly to the UK without restriction but cannot work for the NHS. Either this virus is dangerous or it's not.

Jeffros Furios
9 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

At the same time as abolishing tests for travellers they are planning to sack NHS workers who do not have the booster. People with the same level of vaccination can fly to the UK without restriction but cannot work for the NHS. Either this virus is dangerous or it's not.

Do Russian Bots get Covid Duggie ? 

Nucky Thompson
7 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

I don't agree with sacking NHS or any other worker for not taking the vaccine.

I chose to have it myself, but I respect everyone's personal choice, even though I might not agree with them

Even ones developing in the UK.
As we seen have throughout this pandemic border restrictions slow down if anything but don’t prevent variants coming into the country. Coconut Dug is doing his usual today, questioning everything, demanding answers and looking for a fight. I’m sure he must have been a teacher at one time. 😉

Isn't there some value in slowing down the transmission? You seem to be suggesting that there isn't.

I'm challenging what you say because i generally don't agree with it. I don't think masks are "pointless" as you say. I challenged you about that and now you seem to have changed your mind. 

You also stated that you thought masks would have least value in badly ventilated, crowded places but have now changed your mind to say that is where they would be most valuable. 

Rather than suggesting i am picking a fight it might be better if you set out your reasoning for the views you hold. 

3 minutes ago, Jeffros Furios said:

Do Russian Bots get Covid Duggie ? 

Repeatedly, ad nauseum in fact. A bit like your Russian bot joke.

Jeffros Furios
1 minute ago, coconut doug said:

Repeatedly, ad nauseum in fact. A bit like your Russian bot joke.

Is it cold in your St Petersburg  bunker ? 

The Mighty Thor
36 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

'But masks … are something we can do. None of us enjoy wearing them but they are perhaps not the biggest handicap to endure in order to try to stem transmission.

'So while they can make a difference to controlling the virus then i think it is something we should do.

While she says she hopes not she doesn't rule out keeping mask restrictions ( sorry protections ) in place.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10432273/Nicola-Sturgeon-refuses-rule-keeping-Scotlands-mask-laws-place-YEARS.html

At no point does she refuse to rule out keeping mask restrictions in for YEARS. 

She just doesn't at all and the Nazi's headline is absolute shite. 

Has anyone ever done this, has a government ever advertised this, 

during the many briefings given by PM FMs and Health Professionals ever recommended this to the population? Not to my knowledge. 

It’s amazing to watch people using masks very few do it properly. Although using them albeit incorrect t will have some effect I’m sure. 
On the Mask thread way back I posted links about types of masks and the proper way to use them. 

What do you mean by this? I don't know what you are referring to.

1 hour ago, The Mighty Thor said:

312B3092-0258-44F8-AA0E-C169851AE947.gif

15 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I don't agree with sacking NHS or any other worker for not taking the vaccine.

I chose to have it myself, but I respect everyone's personal choice, even though I might not agree with them

Absolutely this. It must be a comfort for you to know that we will not be doing this in Scotland.

Having to put on a mask when we go for a pee in the pub or showing our vaccination status before entering Tynecastle are trivial by comparison.

Treating NHS workers in this way is madness imo unless of course the agenda is to damage and destroy the NHS. 

49 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

She will drag it out as Long as she can to deflect from the burning issue ! Indy 

Nucky Thompson
5 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

No testing on return to England from 11th Feb 

Just been confirmed for Scotland too. 

You know you have won the argument when the Tin Foil Anti Vax Anti Mask Let Me be Free Brigade start positioning the Daily Mail as a paragon of truthfulness

16 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

Absolutely this. It must be a comfort for you to know that we will not be doing this in Scotland.

Having to put on a mask when we go for a pee in the pub or showing our vaccination status before entering Tynecastle are trivial by comparison.

Treating NHS workers in this way is madness imo unless of course the agenda is to damage and destroy the NHS. 

It's an interesting one that.

On pretty much everything else Scotland is far more restrictive than England. 

It's like an alternate reality. 

Footballfirst
1 minute ago, Lord BJ said:

👍

Always important that @Nucky Thompson posts are fact checked 😂

Great news as flying mid Feb😀

March for me, but my mate comes back from Malta on 12 February, so perfect timing for him.

40 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

Isn't there some value in slowing down the transmission?

Well Omicron proved that wrong.

40 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

don't think masks are "pointless" as you say.

I never said masks were pointless. I provided a link saying that masks if used properly have value.  

42 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

You also stated that you thought masks would have least value in badly ventilated, crowded places but have now changed your mind to say that is where they would be most valuable. 

The mask mandate especially in pubs and restaurants where you can sit and eat but only required to wear a mask when moving around is pointless especially with a highly contagious variant. 

As above. In a poorly ventilated pub or restaurant the mask mandate provides little protection as people sitting eating and chatting can spread the virus amongst each other as it hangs in the air as has happened in the past where people have become infected. 
Masks (good ones) worn properly like in supermarkets, cinemas, theatres etc provide very good protection. Once again though it’s reliant on the behaviour of those wearing masks. 

52 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

Rather than suggesting i am picking a fight it might be better if you set out your reasoning for the views you hold. 

52 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

It’s what you do. My views have been well explained on this thread and the Mask thread. 

39 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

What do you mean by this? I don't know what you are referring to.

Educated mask wearers on the proper procedure. The link provided is a simple educational tool for people like yourself. 

Title of the Guidance 

Guidance on mask use in the context of COVID-19

1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

Only two vaccines needed? 

I thought to be fully vaccinated you need to have all three?

Fair amount of utter pish rules still coming out from all this. Not to worry. The narrative is changing hourly and this thing will soon be shelved completely. 

Footballfirst
1 hour ago, indianajones said:

Only two vaccines needed? 

I thought to be fully vaccinated you need to have all three?

Fair amount of utter pish rules still coming out from all this. Not to worry. The narrative is changing hourly and this thing will soon be shelved completely. 

From the NS statement to Holyrood on 11 January.

....... from Monday (17 Jan) the requirement to be ‘fully vaccinated’ for the purposes of COVID certification will include having a booster if the second dose was more than four months ago. 

The NHS Scotland COVID status app for domestic use will be updated from Thursday so that its QR code includes evidence of booster vaccination.

It will also be possible to order updated paper and PDF copies of vaccination status, which are now valid for three months.

4 hours ago, ScotsAndy said:

You know you have won the argument when the Tin Foil Anti Vax Anti Mask Let Me be Free Brigade start positioning the Daily Mail as a paragon of truthfulness

Wrong ! I’m triple vaxxed and covid 

“ survivor “ like the 99 plus % who had it . I’m pro choice . 

Furlough wasn't some gift from Rishi. If there was no furlough or grants or loans, no one would have stayed home. It was a necessary bribe.

Edited by ri Alban

Lord Montpelier
27 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Furlough wasn't some gift from Rishi. If there was no furlough or grants or loans, no one would have stayed home. It was a necessary bribe.

What would you have done instead ?

Dennis Denuto
25 minutes ago, Lord Montpelier said:

What would you have done instead ?

Universal Basic Income, there were too many people who didn't qualify for the grants or the furlough, but the Conservatives were too busy lining their pals pockets. They were determined that no individual could be better off from not being able to work that they would rather some starved.

1 hour ago, Dennis Denuto said:

Universal Basic Income, there were too many people who didn't qualify for the grants or the furlough, but the Conservatives were too busy lining their pals pockets. They were determined that no individual could be better off from not being able to work that they would rather some starved.

I know these payments can’t catch everyone but are you sure too many people that didn’t qualify for furlough or grants ? 

6 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

No scheme will catch everyone but the majority of people who fell through cracks did so because of how they approached their taxes. Paying yourself a low salary and high dividends wasn’t a money saving tip during COVID for example. Some may argue karma🤷🏻‍♂️

The furlough and grant schemes were very generous and were required to save the economy. We’ll be paying for it forever but it was needed. However, those interventions come with consequences.

Furlough and the interventions were all to enable the economy to be frozen so it could return without being decimated; it’s been in the big picture sense successful. Granted my great grand kids will be paying for it but hey my taxes haves paid for wars and paying slavers off🤪

Completely agree. I was question Dennis to see if he was coming from a knowledgeable point of view or just another boo bad tories slavering. Basically a Nucky style fact check. 😀

Dennis Denuto
5 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Completely agree. I was question Dennis to see if he was coming from a knowledgeable point of view or just another boo bad tories slavering. Basically a Nucky style fact check. 😀

There were millions of people excluded from the Sefl-Employed Income Support Scheme due mainly because they were only on their first couple of years of trading and hadn't submitted accounts, also because they were combined Employed and Self-Employed and didn't qualify for Furlough or the SEISS. 

UBI alone wouldn't have been the only measure, just as furlough wasn't the only one used.

There were huge discrepancies between what was available to households with one income and households with two incomes.

And spare me this paying it back for generations pish, they were still borrowing money while allowing thousands to die due to austerity.

Ex member of the SaS
15 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

At no point does she refuse to rule out keeping mask restrictions in for YEARS. 

She just doesn't at all and the Nazi's headline is absolute shite. 

Your first line appears to agree with us.

It was on TV recently that a SG advisor said children will keep mask in school until the mid of Feb and the mask mandate nearer the end of Feb. However we all know she will try to keep the restrictions ( protections ) as long as possible trying to be different. I await the end of Feb and won't be surprised if the mask mandate is still in force in Scotland. Whether that is in force for years I personally seriously doubt it, however one can never be sure with our queen Nic.

mrmarkus1981_1

I am starting to look at holidays this year and I have tried to jump through the NHS Status app but it cant find me!!

I've downloaded my PDF vaccination status but it only shows 2 and 3, does anyone else have this? Is vaccination 1 assumed as it shows I've had 2 and a booster?

Cheers :)

Edited by mrmarkus1981_1

Jeffros Furios

I received self employed grants from UK but didn't receive anything from Scot Gov 

It seems me losing over £25k in earnings and having a large tax bill to pay didn't concern Kate Forbes .

I won't go into detail but the criteria the Scot Gov setup was a farce .

4 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

:notsure:

Im not aware of one country introducing UBI to deal,with the economic consequences of COVID, there is a very good reason for that.

UBI would have be amongst the worst interventions the U.K. govt could have made, economically, when the COVID crisis kick in.

It would have done nothing to save businesses, causing a huge number of companies/sectors to fold with no prospect of an economic bounce back. You would be looking at the huge contraction the economy suffered during lockdown continuing and you would be in a stagflation situation with high unemployment, contraction of the economy, levels of inflation higher than we’re suffering at present

Whilst, on the individual level UBI would not be as generous as furlough schemes, so huge swathes of people would actually been much worse off. Causing social issues and making people more likely to break covid restrictions, 

The economy had to be frozen to enable it to have the best chance of rebounding. Your proposal would have done nothing to address the economic issue. UBI wasn’t introduced because of some Tory plot, it wasn’t introduced because it would have been a disastrous thing to do!

What is all this based on?

I'm not aware of any mass UBI roll out, let alone one that's had all these disastrous effects. What would be the problem with making sure everyone had an income? Surely, combined with other steps, the economy could still be frozen, plus people wouldn't be left out.

4 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

:notsure:

Im not aware of one country introducing UBI to deal,with the economic consequences of COVID, there is a very good reason for that.

UBI would have be amongst the worst interventions the U.K. govt could have made, economically, when the COVID crisis kick in.

It would have done nothing to save businesses, causing a huge number of companies/sectors to fold with no prospect of an economic bounce back. You would be looking at the huge contraction the economy suffered during lockdown continuing and you would be in a stagflation situation with high unemployment, contraction of the economy, levels of inflation higher than we’re suffering at present

Whilst, on the individual level UBI would not be as generous as furlough schemes, so huge swathes of people would actually been much worse off. Causing social issues and making people more likely to break covid restrictions, 

The economy had to be frozen to enable it to have the best chance of rebounding. Your proposal would have done nothing to address the economic issue. UBI wasn’t introduced because of some Tory plot, it wasn’t introduced because it would have been a disastrous thing to do!

What is all this based on?

I'm not aware of any mass UBI roll out, let alone one that's had all these disastrous effects. What would be the problem with making sure everyone had an income? Surely, combined with other steps, the economy could still be frozen, plus people wouldn't be left out.

Ex member of the SaS
1 hour ago, Jeffros Furios said:

I received self employed grants from UK but didn't receive anything from Scot Gov 

It seems me losing over £25k in earnings and having a large tax bill to pay didn't concern Kate Forbes .

I won't go into detail but the criteria the Scot Gov setup was a farce .

Rumours abound that the money from Westminster was squirreled away for other projects by the SG. She claimed that the restrictions could have gone further but she did not have control of the funds. Funds were later given and the restrictions didn't change and some are claiming they didn't receive any cash.

3 hours ago, mrmarkus1981_1 said:

I am starting to look at holidays this year and I have tried to jump through the NHS Status app but it cant find me!!

I've downloaded my PDF vaccination status but it only shows 2 and 3, does anyone else have this? Is vaccination 1 assumed as it shows I've had 2 and a booster?

Cheers :)

As far as I am aware, it only shows the last 2 jabs on your vaccination record document. It should read "Dose 2 of 3" and "Dose 3 of 3" at the top.

mrmarkus1981_1
3 minutes ago, redjambo said:

As far as I am aware, it only shows the last 2 jabs on your vaccination record document. It should read "Dose 2 of 3" and "Dose 3 of 3" at the top.

Thanks red, that's what it says :)

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )