• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dennis Denuto
1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Did you actually read the link or just jump in with both feet to stick up for your glorious leader?

Sturgeon said that infections were 20% higher in England. ONS figures state that 1 in 20 were infected in both countries in the week ending 15th January.

They also state that the estimated average percentage of the population that had covid in Scotland was 4.49% compared to 5.47% in England. A difference of less than one percent.

As for your last paragraph :vrface:

Do you think it's worth destroying businesses, people's mental health etc for no meaningful gain?

She fecked it up and Boris made her look stupid, that's why she done a U-Turn after 16 days

If you use the figures you provided then she is correct about the 20% more in England. The ONS have rounded to get the 1 in 20 to be the same, but if you consider double the %rate is 100% more then England was 20% more that week. 

It’s not wrong. 

Nucky Thompson
3 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Any stats showing how many extra businesses have been destroyed in Scotland compared to England? Or how many more mental health problems have resulted from the difference in restrictions?

You don't need stats to know that tougher restrictions will cause more harm to businesses and people's mental health 

1 hour ago, indianajones said:

MSM narrative changed quicker than anything i've seen. 

What are they saying now. Another SNP bad, Sturgeon broke the ministerial code? There must be something afoot as the propaganda gets ramped up when things are not going well for the unionist cult. 

Dennis Denuto
4 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

:biggrin2: Aye. very good Smithee :naughty:

Didn’t see the post by Smithee but he’s right. Whoever reported her looks pretty stupid now. 

InternationalJambo
6 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Any stats showing how many extra businesses have been destroyed in Scotland compared to England? Or how many more mental health problems have resulted from the difference in restrictions?

https://www.bighospitality.co.uk/Article/2022/01/13/One-third-of-tourism-and-hospitality-businesses-in-Scotland-predict-failure-in-2022

56 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Did you actually read the link or just jump in with both feet to stick up for your glorious leader?

Sturgeon said that infections were 20% higher in England. ONS figures state that 1 in 20 were infected in both countries in the week ending 15th January.

They also state that the estimated average percentage of the population that had covid in Scotland was 4.49% compared to 5.47% in England. A difference of less than one percent.

As for your last paragraph :vrface:

Do you think it's worth destroying businesses, people's mental health etc for no meaningful gain?

She fecked it up and Boris made her look stupid, that's why she done a U-Turn after 16 days

I read the link. It's rubbish and so are the comments of Rennie and the rest. In calculating their estimates for this week the ONS the 1 in 20 figures would correspond to Scotland having a population of less than 5 million (an underestimation of around 15%) conversely England's population is considered to be almost 60million (an overestimation of 10%) Check it out and tell me if i am correct.

I believe i am correct and that is where the 20% difference comes in. This figure can be supported by reference to Travelling Tabby and public health England. It is the ONS  who are distorting figures, i wonder why we have had no response as yet to the complaint about Swinney. Could it be because what he said was accurate?

I don't accept that minor restrictions for a very short period affect people's businesses in any disproportionate way. We saw similar effects in England with many events cancelled. Luckily for some of our businesses they were able to access additional funds anyway. I don't really care about a reduction in profits for the already wealthy. If people can't put up with this minor disruption without adverse mental effects then the restrictions would likely be the least of their problems.

The gain is measurable and significant. 20% fewer case and getting on for 100 fewer deaths and the disparity is continuing.

The SG did not feck it up and Boris has rarely if ever made anybody look stupid. He may be the most stupid looking individuals i have ever seen.  

Nicola did not do a U turn. The plkan was only to have these very limited restrictions in place for a fixed period.

Go on, have a look at the ONS figures then tell me it is Swinney and Sturgeon that is twisting reality. https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/conditionsanddiseases/bulletins/coronaviruscovid19infectionsurveypilot/21january2022  They are estimates with a large degree of tolerance to allow for government spin (twisting). The actual figures tell the true story.

19 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

:biggrin2: Aye. very good Smithee :naughty:

Naught nothing, that's exactly what they were saying, and exactly why the complaint will do jothing

Nucky Thompson
5 minutes ago, Dennis Denuto said:

Didn’t see the post by Smithee but he’s right. Whoever reported her looks pretty stupid now. 

Come on Dennis. There's a difference of 0.98 percentage points.

It can be made to look like 'over 20%' if you calculate a percent increase between 4.49 and 5.57

This just contributes to diminishing public understanding of basic statistics and the reality of what is happening with important subjects, in this case the pandemic.

I don't think many people will hear Sturgeon's soundbite and come away thinking that the ONS headline estimates for both Scotland and England are the same, or the difference in tables was 0.98 percentage points.

Describing the difference the way the FM did, but not giving the actual numbers, gives no perspective. But it's useful politically as a small %pt change can seem very big when dealing with small numbers.

Eg, a 0.98%pt gap between 4.49% and 5.57% is 21.8%

Between 20% and 20.98% it's 4.9%

The bottom line is that she was describing the differences in infections in a misleading way

InternationalJambo
3 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

It can be made to look like 'over 20%' if you calculate a percent increase between 4.49 and 5.57

This just contributes to diminishing public understanding of basic statistics and the reality of what is happening with important subjects, in this case the pandemic.

I don't think many people will hear Sturgeon's soundbite and come away thinking that the ONS headline estimates for both Scotland and England are the same, or the difference in tables was 0.98 percentage points.

Describing the difference the way the FM did, but not giving the actual numbers, gives no perspective. But it's useful politically as a small %pt change can seem very big when dealing with small numbers.

The bottom line is that she was describing the differences in infections in a misleading way

👍

2 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

What a crock of absolute bollocks, the number 5.57% represents is 21% higher than the number 4.49% represents.

There's nothing misleading about it, it's a statistical fact!

It's mental to me that THIS is what people think is a big deal, how lacking in context do you have to be?

As our critical thinkers are always telling us to ignore infections and concentrate on deaths, it's good to know that Scotland has had a far lower death rate than England for some time now. Putting lifes before votes, unlike Boris who will put anything before his position

1 minute ago, Smithee said:

What a crock of absolute bollocks, the number 5.57% represents is 21% higher than the number 4.49% represents.

It's mental to me that THIS is what people think is a big deal, how lacking in context do you have to be?

It's hilarious. The SNP issue a factual statement and the unionist media and posters are up in arms

Lord Montpelier
3 minutes ago, XB52 said:

As our critical thinkers are always telling us to ignore infections and concentrate on deaths, it's good to know that Scotland has had a far lower death rate than England for some time now. Putting lifes before votes, unlike Boris who will put anything before his position

Ive said this before here

Until someone comes up with a death rate adjusted for the many factors that influence it (mainly things like population density across urban conurbations) its a simplisitc view to say a country has done better , or worse, using this comparison. 

Dennis Denuto
11 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

A mathematically correct way. It’s not her fault what the numbers were. A strange thing to attack her for IMO

🙄 

She should sell everything off and have parties on covid victims graves. Then the onionists might crack a smile.

Nucky Thompson
12 minutes ago, XB52 said:

It's hilarious. The SNP issue a factual statement and the unionist media and posters are up in arms

The SNP didn't release a statement, it was Sturgeon answering questions in Holyrood.

A 0.98 percentage point difference in infections probably translates to nearly no difference in deaths. Worth shutting down clubs and football for? A matter of opinion I suppose.

****ing demented stuff.  :rofl:  Is this what people mean by getting on with it?

It's not about trying to move on and leading a life.  It's about analysing everything the SG do or say to perpetuate meaningless obsessions.

For the love of God,  be at peace with yourselves.

Nucky Thompson
2 minutes ago, Taffin said:

A 0.98 percentage point difference in infections probably translates to nearly no difference in deaths. Worth shutting down clubs and football for? A matter of opinion I suppose.

I'm still pissed off that I missed out on Hospitality in the Gorgie suite on the 29th December :biggrin2:

I couldn't make the rearrange game on Tuesday, but at least Hearts were quick with the refund

Dennis Denuto
5 minutes ago, Taffin said:

It was up at over 33% less in one week in Scotland compared to England, there was a difference, I’m not sure it was worth it though. 

4 minutes ago, Dennis Denuto said:

It was up at over 33% less in one week in Scotland compared to England, there was a difference, I’m not sure it was worth it though. 

At the risk of sounding disrespectful (it's not intended), we're talking less than a whole number...where a whole number sadly represents a human.

Screenshot_20220121-205613.png

Edited by Taffin

7 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I'm still pissed off that I missed out on Hospitality in the Gorgie suite on the 29th December :biggrin2:

I couldn't make the rearrange game on Tuesday, but at least Hearts were quick with the refund

I can just about, at a real push, sort of see the thinking behind large events restrictions...albeit not outdoors ones; but the nightclub thing was just sheer lunacy.

Unless the demographic of clubbers is very different to my experience, it doesn't appear having left them open has been too disastrous:

Screenshot_20220121-205148.png

Edited by Taffin

The Mighty Thor
9 minutes ago, Victorian said:

****ing demented stuff.  :rofl:  Is this what people mean by getting on with it?

It's not about trying to move on and leading a life.  It's about analysing everything the SG do or say to perpetuate meaningless obsessions.

Guidance lifted on Monday and the boys are still frothing up over it 😂

We need to just get on with it 

*10 pages and 400 posts each later*

We just need to get on with it

:cornette:

24 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

The SNP didn't release a statement, it was Sturgeon answering questions in Holyrood.

Bloody hell, talk about clutching at straws. OK she MADE a statement, happy now? 

39 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Spot on. If the 2 figures were 3% and 6% then you would be totally correct in saying that the latter was twice the former, i.e. 100% higher.

It seems that the critical thinkers are getting themselves into a lather about anything these days. It appears that they've switched on the paranoia/neurosis switch and now they can't seem to be able to switch it off again. It would be laughable if it weren't so worrying to see how otherwise reasonable (I assume) human beings have backed themselves into a psychological corner with this - if only they had adopted a more balanced approach to the whole pandemic then they might have been much quicker to recover normality in the later stages of the pandemic, as most of us are now doing. At this moment in time they'll still argue blue is red as long as it justifies their attacks against any of their purported "enemies", the Scottish government included.

15 minutes ago, Taffin said:

At the risk of sounding disrespectful (it's not intended), we're talking less than a whole number...where a whole number sadly represents a human.

Screenshot_20220121-205613.png

250 people died in England that week that wouldn't if they had brought in the measures Scotland did. Not really a serious statement but the SG can rightly say that the restrictions saved lives. Were these lives worth the impact on businesses and us missing a game of football? That is worthy of debate 

4 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Spot on. If the 2 figures were 3% and 6% then you would be totally correct in saying that the latter was twice the former, i.e. 100% higher.

It seems that the critical thinkers are getting themselves into a lather about anything these days. It appears that they've switched on the paranoia/neurosis switch and now they can't seem to be able to switch it off again. It would be laughable if it weren't so worrying to see how otherwise reasonable (I assume) human beings have backed themselves into a psychological corner with this - if only they had adopted a more balanced approach to the whole pandemic then they might have been much quicker to recover normality in the later stages of the pandemic, as most of us are now doing. At this moment in time they'll still argue blue is red as long as it justifies their attacks against any of their purported "enemies", the Scottish government included.

I just don't get it. Restrictions are mostly gone so surely they should be happy

2 minutes ago, XB52 said:

250 people died in England that week that wouldn't if they had brought in the measures Scotland did. Not really a serious statement but the SG can rightly say that the restrictions saved lives. Were these lives worth the impact on businesses and us missing a game of football? That is worthy of debate 

Complete supposition I'm afraid. Remember there also c.10k deaths per week in England and Wales in normal times, so 250 is well within the variance of that.

Edit: hit post too early. The SG can say the think they saved lives, but they don't actually know that. 

Edited by Taffin

2 minutes ago, XB52 said:

I just don't get it. Restrictions are mostly gone so surely they should be happy

You would have thought so. But as I said they appear to be in a state of high alert now, not only desperately awaiting the next "attack" but now also content to make these up, or magnify them in order to make them appear significant, in order to justify their fury. At some point, they're going to have to just let go and relax, but that's admittedly difficult to do when you've spent up to two years "under siege" - it becomes the norm, and norms are always difficult to change.

The Mighty Thor
7 minutes ago, redjambo said:

You would have thought so. But as I said they appear to be in a state of high alert now, not only desperately awaiting the next "attack" but now also content to make these up, or magnify them in order to make them appear significant, in order to justify their fury. At some point, they're going to have to just let go and relax, but that's admittedly difficult to do when you've spent up to two years "under siege" - it becomes the norm, and norms are always difficult to change.

'Hiding behind the sofa' of their own neuroses, so to speak. 

Meanwhile we're all just cracking on 😎

1 hour ago, coconut doug said:

I read the link. It's rubbish and so are the comments of Rennie and the rest. In calculating their estimates for this week the ONS the 1 in 20 figures would correspond to Scotland having a population of less than 5 million (an underestimation of around 15%) conversely England's population is considered to be almost 60million (an overestimation of 10%) Check it out and tell me if i am correct.

I believe i am correct and that is where the 20% difference comes in. This figure can be supported by reference to Travelling Tabby and public health England. It is the ONS  who are distorting figures, i wonder why we have had no response as yet to the complaint about Swinney. Could it be because what he said was accurate?

I don't accept that minor restrictions for a very short period affect people's businesses in any disproportionate way. We saw similar effects in England with many events cancelled. Luckily for some of our businesses they were able to access additional funds anyway. I don't really care about a reduction in profits for the already wealthy. If people can't put up with this minor disruption without adverse mental effects then the restrictions would likely be the least of their problems.

The gain is measurable and significant. 20% fewer case and getting on for 100 fewer deaths and the disparity is continuing.

The SG did not feck it up and Boris has rarely if ever made anybody look stupid. He may be the most stupid looking individuals i have ever seen.  

Nicola did not do a U turn. The pl👏an was only to have these very limited restrictions in place for a fixed period.

Go on, have a look at the ONS figures then tell me it is Swinney and Sturgeon that is twisting reality. https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/conditionsanddiseases/bulletins/coronaviruscovid19infectionsurveypilot/21january2022  They are estimates with a large degree of tolerance to allow for government spin (twisting). The actual figures tell the true story.

:clap:

21 minutes ago, redjambo said:

:clap:
Screen_Shot_2021_09_07_at_9.43.48_AM.png

22 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Complete supposition I'm afraid. Remember there also c.10k deaths per week in England and Wales in normal times, so 250 is well within the variance of that.

Edit: hit post too early. The SG can say the think they saved lives, but they don't actually know that. 

Like I said it wasn't a totally serious post but think we are all now in agreement that the SG issued a factual statement/answer  and the media and opposition politicians are up in arms about it for some reason 

manaliveits105
1 hour ago, Victorian said:

It’s not as if we have a whole thread devoted to the UK government where obsessive rockets spend their lives trawling the internet to  try and out do each other with daily outrage posts 

manaliveits105
2 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Nicola is being dissed 'circle the waggons' :cornette:

fortunately what our resident krankies think matters not a jot  it’s up to the UK statistics authority to decide if she misled Holyrood 

3 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

You think it's about defending Sturgeon?  Couldn't give a **** who's being 'dissed'.  It's really about the incredulity of this sort of shit being important.  Come on man.

The criterati are straw clutching now that 20% figure was found to be accurate. 

Obsession seems to be on one side :laugh:

5 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

fortunately what our resident krankies think matters not a jot  it’s up to the UK statistics authority to decide if she misled Holyrood 

I totally and I mean totally distrust anything with UK attached to it especially when it involves Scotland! 

6 minutes ago, Victorian said:

You think it's about defending Sturgeon?  Couldn't give a **** who's being 'dissed'.  It's really about the incredulity of this sort of shit being important.  Come on man.

:spoton:

I'm not even a great fan of NS's. She's had a very hard job to do, that's for certain, and she's certainly made some mistakes during the last couple of years, but that's to be expected due to the nature of the pandemic. But, assuming I was included in the ever-so-jocular barbs, the fact that I defended the statistics in question now seemingly makes me a "resident krankie" and a "waggon circler". :D It's parody beyond belief. They just can't seem to help themselves, stuck in their 100-ft deep trenches.

31 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

It's like a bat signal. One critique and suddenly everyone who's just getting on with their lives and definitely not sitting reading the Covid thread appear out of nowhere and post about it.

Debating the detail is for losers, it's all about getting on with life now.

sure-ok.gif

A Boy Named Crow

Interestingly, the question of whether or not lockdowns are worth it may now have been answered, we have a live case study from a country that has tried both covid zero and living with the virus.

In 2020 Australia,  particularly Melbourne,  had very tough lockdowns. Lots of lives were saved, but people questioned whether the economic cost was worth it. Now with another wave coming through, the restrictions aren't as tough, because lots of people are vaccinated...but businesses are finding "just living with covid" more damaging than the lockdowns, because of staff shortages, supply chain issues and reduced consumer confidence. 

So, when you have lockdowns that are less economically damaging than "letting it rip", that save lives and create a bit of breathing space for the health service... you really have to question the mental capacity of those still advocating letting the virus run unchecked!

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2022/jan/13/code-red-melbourne-businesses-say-omicron-wave-more-damaging-than-lockdown

13 minutes ago, Taffin said:

It's like a bat signal. One critique and suddenly everyone who's just getting on with their lives and definitely not sitting reading the Covid thread appear out of nowhere and post about it.

Debating the detail is for losers, it's all about getting on with life now.

sure-ok.gif

Critique is a bit disingenuous, she's being attacked and called a liar when she made a factual statement.

I'm no Sturgeon fan but the constant pish is softening me towards her

Horatio Caine
50 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

That's rich coming from a Boris fanboy

1 hour ago, XB52 said:

I had as normal a Christmas holiday as I've ever had, bar the football, but come on here and we're in East Germany or under some ruthless regime !

:cornette_dog:

3 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Are you aware that research shows that people with weak mathematical reasoning are more susceptible to (1) conspiracy theories, (2) extreme right-wing political views and (3) internet and text messaging scams?

4 hours ago, Smithee said:

5.47 is 21.83% higher than 4.49 🤷‍♂️ 

Indeed it is.  And if your area's rate of unemployment is 5% and mine is 10%, it is not inaccurate and not misleading to say that my area's unemployment rate is twice as high as yours.

The Irish government is removing almost all of our domestic Covid-19 restrictions from 6 am.  All restrictions or guidance relating to physical distancing, household mixing, Covid-19 certificates, hospitality, capacity limits at events, and working from home will be lifted.

Masks will still be required in certain indoor settings, most notably in schools, and there are still rules and restrictions to be followed in certain circumstances for people with Covid-19 or their close contacts.  International travel rules for people arriving into Ireland (Covid-19 certs and tests) will remain.  Those rules are to be kept until the end of February and then reviewed.  They are also the rules that are regarded by most people as being the least intrusive.

A couple of days ago statistics for the current Covid-19 wave were published by the government, stating that since mid-December there have been over 285,000 cases, resulting so far in 67 deaths.  Although the number of deaths is expected to increase, the case fatality rate is significantly lower than in previous waves.

The Mighty Thor
7 hours ago, Ulysses said:

Are you aware that research shows that people with weak mathematical reasoning are more susceptible to (1) conspiracy theories, (2) extreme right-wing political views and (3) internet and text messaging scams?

picard-giddy.gif

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )