Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Footballfirst
1 hour ago, InternationalJambo said:

So for that @Footballfirst i do apologise (even though we disagree on a lot of points 😄). You're a poster i watch with interest but i imagine my opinions in relation to yourself have been skewed due to my predetermined view.

Thanks for that. It's appreciated. 

I have no problem with a difference of opinion. It's that that generates discussion, which is what this thread is all about.  

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

InternationalJambo
1 hour ago, Smithee said:

I'd suggest that complaining that the narrative of the thread has been hijacked really means no more than the poster liked when one view was dominant and doesn't care for things the other way round.

If that’s the conclusion you've came to from reading my posts then you’re missing the point entirely.

6 minutes ago, InternationalJambo said:

If that’s the conclusion you've came to from reading my posts then you’re missing the point entirely.

I'm not missing the point at all, it's not exactly encrypted and hidden in a painting.

The thread was dominated by one view, and now the other. You preferred things before, no?

InternationalJambo
4 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I'm not missing the point at all, it's not exactly encrypted and hidden in a painting.

The thread was dominated by one view, and now the other. You preferred things before, no?

Sorry I don’t follow? That wasn’t my point, at all. If you’re referring to my hijack comment it was made for lack of a better word. Try again. 

Edited by InternationalJambo

3 minutes ago, InternationalJambo said:

Sorry I don’t follow? That wasn’t my point, at all. If you’re referring to my hijack comment it was made for lack of a better word. Try again. 

I didn't say it was your point. In fact, I wasn't even talking to you, I wouldn't expect you to agree.

InternationalJambo
4 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I didn't say it was your point. In fact, I wasn't even talking to you, I wouldn't expect you to agree.

Very credible👍

When you indirectly quote a poster and they pull you up about it try and engage in an adult conversation around your views other than throw your toys out the pram. 

Edited by InternationalJambo

Just now, InternationalJambo said:

Very credible👍

When you indirectly quote a poster and they pull you up about it try and engage in an adult conversation around your views other than throwing the toys out the pram. 

Don't know what conversation you're having, my toys are all here. 

I stand by what I said, you can like it, or not, that's not my burden.

InternationalJambo
Just now, Smithee said:

Don't know what conversation you're having, my toys are all here. 

I stand by what I said, you can like it, or not, that's not my burden.

But what you said had no correlation to the post you quoted? If you feel that's how i am as a poster, that's fine. Don't attribute it to a false narrative. 

1 minute ago, InternationalJambo said:

But what you said had no correlation to the post you quoted? If you feel that's how i am as a poster, that's fine. Don't attribute it to a false narrative. 

I'll do what I like, cheers

8 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes I would agree . The readyness to accepting restrictions , vaccine passports etc without any concern on the impact on others has been very concerning . 

Compared to willingness to letting it Rip without concern to others is very concerning. 

7 hours ago, InternationalJambo said:

On average over 10 posts a day...

How many is James on?

Edited by ri Alban

Yes unfortunately there seems to be distinct lack of people advocating against pro choice about one’s body . It’s quite alarming .where will it end ? 

People can do what they like. That's the point. People can chose not to be vaxxed and other people can chose to tell them to Gtf, your not coming in.

I think losing one’s business is a major impact on a person . It’s not all about you or I having minor inconveniences . Mine was not havin my family Xmas night out before Xmas as the venue cancelled it . As for most pubs I won’t go in then until I’m free to wonder as I please in them . 

Monday, then. :cheers:

3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Compared to willingness to letting it Rip without concern to others is very concerning. 

Good morning. Awe naw 4 notification's from you. :) Yes everyone who is most vulnerable has been triple vaxxed and probably had the virus so we have done as much as we can. The minority who are vulnerable can shield if new variants appear and let the vast majority get on with things. 

How many is James on?

I lost count at 5000 posts 

People can do what they like. That's the point. People can chose not to be vaxxed and other people can chose to tell them to Gtf, your not coming in.

People can only do what they are allowed to do if vaccinated. 

Monday, then. :cheers:

Yes pubs are shite just now with those rules. Your hemmed into booths like chickens on a battery farm. Cant go to bar cant chat to others or your barked at by over anxious staff. Cant even sing at the karoke  Roll on MOnday;. Im out next Friday 

image-23-10-21-12-07-1.gif

Edited by JamesM48

11 hours ago, Captain Slog said:

James,

May I say, without rancour, that i have a completely different take on it from you,

I find it alarming that there is a sizeable percentage of the population that refuse to follow guidelines - wear masks, get vaccinated, self isolate,   Over one hundred and fifty thousand people have died in this country from this thing, and i have personally followed all the government guidelines to the letter to try and do my bit to try to stop its further advance by following guidelines set by those whom, although i may despise them politically, will have much better advice than i can get on a forum such as this in order to stop the spread and potentially save even one life.

Now i didn't care to have my jabs - i dislike needles but i did.  Don't like my mask, it makes it harder to breath with my asthma.  Hate my social life has dwindled to almost nothing in lockdowns.  Am distraught that people lose their businesses.  Am appalled that other ill people are neglected and die, and that mental health, loneliness must have skyrocketed.

But this think is slaughtering so many people, more than anything else, i do what i can to help stop it, with the rest of the population.  I'm at the stage, opposite to you, that i think those that didn't adhere to such measures are truly selfish individuals.  If i can give analogy. i lost a grandfather and great grandfather to two world wars.  They didn't have to go - one came back from Aussie, but they did, for the greater good to protect others.  Little restrictions aren't too great an ask compared to what they did.

James, I like your posts, You've educated me on other topics with them.  Love to go for a pint  - with mask.  I'm a bit scared to post here as some other posters are going to jump on and rip me as they disagree with my views, and it all feels very partisan, black or white.   But I'd ask you to just to reflect there are other views, probably neither of us is right, and urge people to come to a consensus rather than the fallout.

And by the way, I do understand you do your bit guideline wise, even though i disagree with your views, i do feel you should continue your posting as healthy debate is good, just don;t like the polarisation on here.

Morning Captain Slog.

Thank you for your respectful posting. Ill take onboard your comments. I would hope you still post  and dont feel under pressure not to express your views.

Cheers 

James 

8 hours ago, Smithee said:

I'd suggest that complaining that the narrative of the thread has been hijacked really means no more than the poster liked when one view was dominant and doesn't care for things the other way round.

I don't think one view has been dominant on this at any time...apart from maybe right at the start when everyone seemed to agreed wearing a face covering was futile.

There's definitely a mocking of others opinions though from imo a handful of posters on each side of the fence. I don't think either of the two posters IJ was interacting with are part of that though, at least not for a good thousand pages or so 😂

8 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I don't think one view has been dominant on this at any time...apart from maybe right at the start when everyone seemed to agreed wearing a face covering was futile.

There's definitely a mocking of others opinions though from imo a handful of posters on each side of the fence. I don't think either of the two posters IJ was interacting with are part of that though, at least not for a good thousand pages or so 😂

👍

Adam_the_legend
50 minutes ago, Taffin said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-60039138

Certainly felt a bit like that imo.

It was a ridiculous decision to ignore the data coming out of SA and what their clinicians were saying about its virulence BUT I don’t think it had anything to do with it being an African country. As noted in the article, if the news coming out of SA was bad we would have jumped all over it, there wouldn’t have been all this demographic, weather, vaccination level BS.

I think it was simply a resistance to good news by our pessimistic scientists. Perfectly shown when Whitty stood up and said ‘we don’t know everything but what we do know is bad’ which was categorically, quantifiably untrue. Racism is an unfair accusation though. 

16 minutes ago, Adam_the_legend said:

resistance to good news by our pessimistic scientists.

and " leaders " well the ones in Scotland and Wales . Jumped on it. 

Ex member of the SaS

It appears to be a government problem in as much as they jumped hard on the first indications from Italy ( and to be fair they did look bad ) but needed to save face when it was clear things were not going to be as bad as predicted. So the leaders needed extreme numbers to justify the original lockdowns and the scientists obliged. 

For me and I said this at the start, why did they only go with one set of scientists, why was there not a broader range of predictions and why did they jump on what was clearly wildly exaggerated figures from ( I think it was ) Ferguson.

There were many scientists who called this out and were put down and in some cases disgraced and lost their jobs.

Had they taken a more balanced approach and instead of the over the top ones the SNP brought in just before the new year we would not have required the lock down of fans etc and could be in this position a couple of weeks ago.

Now they are starting to remove restrictions but last night someone said children would remove masks by early Feb and the rest of us by late Feb in the mean time England are doing it now so Nippy is holding on to power for an extra three or four weeks.

14 hours ago, Adam_the_legend said:

Devi the doom-monger has changed her tune I see. Unfortunately, those she’s spent the last 2 years radicalising aren’t best pleased 😂😂 

Her advice throughout has been realistic and relative to the data/situation we were in, during a fluid pandemic. Who are these "radicalised" individuals - is there a club you can join, or can we anticipate a "pro-lockdown" march in Hyde Park on Saturday, perhaps?

5 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

It appears to be a government problem in as much as they jumped hard on the first indications from Italy ( and to be fair they did look bad ) but needed to save face when it was clear things were not going to be as bad as predicted. So the leaders needed extreme numbers to justify the original lockdowns and the scientists obliged. 

For me and I said this at the start, why did they only go with one set of scientists, why was there not a broader range of predictions and why did they jump on what was clearly wildly exaggerated figures from ( I think it was ) Ferguson.

There were many scientists who called this out and were put down and in some cases disgraced and lost their jobs.

Had they taken a more balanced approach and instead of the over the top ones the SNP brought in just before the new year we would not have required the lock down of fans etc and could be in this position a couple of weeks ago.

Now they are starting to remove restrictions but last night someone said children would remove masks by early Feb and the rest of us by late Feb in the mean time England are doing it now so Nippy is holding on to power for an extra three or four weeks.

Which scientists were "put down" and "lost their jobs"? Interested to know of this division and, presumably, state interference and censorship of their views and opinions and ultimately their employment. 

Ex member of the SaS
4 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

Her advice throughout has been realistic and relative to the data/situation we were in, during a fluid pandemic. Who are these "radicalised" individuals - is there a club you can join, or can we anticipate a "pro-lockdown" march in Hyde Park on Saturday, perhaps?

Which scientists were "put down" and "lost their jobs"? Interested to know of this division and, presumably, state interference and censorship of their views and opinions and ultimately their employment. 

TBF not great with finding stuff but there have been reports that a number have been put down, obviously some of them were a bit far fetched and off the charts conspiracies, but I think even you know that certain opinions have been removed/censured from social media for no apparent reason.

14 hours ago, Adam_the_legend said:

Devi the doom-monger has changed her tune I see. Unfortunately, those she’s spent the last 2 years radicalising aren’t best pleased 😂😂 

Oh she is awful . The unholy trinity of her , The dentist and Linda Bauld . Thd 3 stooges for the SG . She was and is still desperate to get kids vaccinated .

4 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

TBF not great with finding stuff but there have been reports that a number have been put down, obviously some of them were a bit far fetched and off the charts conspiracies, but I think even you know that certain opinions have been removed/censured from social media for no apparent reason.

Censorship on social media is quite different from scientists being removed from their jobs and officially silenced. I would have expected you to know at least one single person who suffered this, since it was a core supporting piece of evidence for your post above which described the government's response to Omicron as "OTT" and be able to cite this in support of your position.

There's plenty outliers and, frankly, loonies, still posting all sorts of stuff on the main social media platforms, where censorship is inconsistent and often innacurate due it being mostly driven by algorithms. That's a different discussion. though. 

Ex member of the SaS
10 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

Censorship on social media is quite different from scientists being removed from their jobs and officially silenced. I would have expected you to know at least one single person who suffered this, since it was a core supporting piece of evidence for your post above which described the government's response to Omicron as "OTT" and be able to cite this in support of your position.

There's plenty outliers and, frankly, loonies, still posting all sorts of stuff on the main social media platforms, where censorship is inconsistent and often innacurate due it being mostly driven by algorithms. That's a different discussion. though. 

That's the problem though it was not my main point and that's clear. also due to certain injuries I take strong pain killers and while I remember some things I can't always remember where or even when I read/heard /saw stuff. I was called out earlier when I used the often quoted line show me a link, yet here you are doing just that. IF I heard/read etc stuff like this then surely you and others must have too, unless you are the type that refuses to look at certain media outlets due to their political leanings. There appears to be many who only ever look at the BBC news for example and refuse to follow links to certain papers. I on the other hand look at a broad range of media outlets and make up my own mind as to the validity of what is being reported.

Adam_the_legend
2 hours ago, Gizmo said:

You’re obviously entitled to your opinion but I couldn’t disagree more, she has been awful. As for the people she has radicalised, go and look in a mirror. 

2 hours ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

That's the problem though it was not my main point and that's clear. also due to certain injuries I take strong pain killers and while I remember some things I can't always remember where or even when I read/heard /saw stuff. I was called out earlier when I used the often quoted line show me a link, yet here you are doing just that. IF I heard/read etc stuff like this then surely you and others must have too, unless you are the type that refuses to look at certain media outlets due to their political leanings. There appears to be many who only ever look at the BBC news for example and refuse to follow links to certain papers. I on the other hand look at a broad range of media outlets and make up my own mind as to the validity of what is being reported.

You said 

There were many scientists who called this out and were put down and in some cases disgraced and lost their jobs.

If you can't produce any evidence of scientists losing their jobs then we have to assume you just made it up to support your bias against 'wee nippy' 

Lord Montpelier
3 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Oh she is awful . The unholy trinity of her , The dentist and Linda Bauld . Thd 3 stooges for the SG . She was and is still desperate to get kids vaccinated .

Like you say, Devi Sridhar is a very vocal supporter of vaccinating healthy 5 year olds. 

I don't get it myself. Worrying that she has the ear of the supreme leader . 

41 minutes ago, Adam_the_legend said:

You’re obviously entitled to your opinion but I couldn’t disagree more, she has been awful. As for the people she has radicalised, go and look in a mirror. 

:laugh2: radicalised

44 minutes ago, Lord Montpelier said:

Like you say, Devi Sridhar is a very vocal supporter of vaccinating healthy 5 year olds. 

Are you against vaccination for healthy kids with the MMR vaccine? 

Ex member of the SaS
1 hour ago, XB52 said:

You said 

There were many scientists who called this out and were put down and in some cases disgraced and lost their jobs.

If you can't produce any evidence of scientists losing their jobs then we have to assume you just made it up to support your bias against 'wee nippy' 

So another one that demands proof, yet when I asked for evidence posted by a covid scardy I was put down. IF you read my post you would see I can't find it with a cursory search and can't be ar$ed looking. So either you accept what I posted or you look for yourself. Personally couldn't care if you believe me or not.

jack D and coke
On 18/01/2022 at 21:41, Nucky Thompson said:

At least the Welsh media question their useless government regarding restrictions 

Did Mark Drakeford's strict Covid rules in Wales over the New Year make any difference? - Wales Online

Ours don’t? :lol: cmon man they get pelters! Rightly or wrongly is debatable depending on your views but to say they aren’t questioned is nonsense cmon. 
Scotland the only country where people who barely get a vote get to demand shit from our govt and get loads of media tome to air their views. Wee fuds like Anus and Dougie :lol: 

1 hour ago, Adam_the_legend said:

Did you read the article before you started foaming? :laugh:

I've been living pretty bloody well within the spirit of the rules, as have most people and basically getting on with it - I don't think that's particularly radical. I did grow a very handsome beard during lockdown 1 so I suppose that might get me on a list of lefties if I was a political student. ;)

Edited by Gizmo

3 hours ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

No mate, I look at the right-wing press, can't avoid it as it's about 90% of the press that is available. I also look at academic papers, conspiracy links (well I used to until I saw the same ones being recycled over and over, and the criterati all using the same tired phrases from the same handful of root sources).

I accept you have memory issues, fair enough, but you still vehemently and emotively make your claims on here. If you have searched for these things, you could bookmark the evidence or find the links in your search history. 

Sadly, I think you just parrot what others tell you and its all anecdotal or second-hand stuff with little credence to it. I'm simply not finding your claims credible.

"covid scardeys". :laugh:

4 hours ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

You make good points about the issues you have postings . Unfortunately there is an endless  mocking and ridiculing of certain posters and their posting styles  on this.   Yes some posters may struggle to make clear and concise arguments or points or be  incoherent and rambling but this may due to a variety of reasons.  But this is often picked on by some  posters who believe themselves to be superior and more articulate. ? Lack of tolerance really.  Its not a good look. 

1 hour ago, Adam_the_legend said:

She has been proven wrong on  so many occasions,

1 hour ago, Lord Montpelier said:

Yes luckily for kids their parents have the final say whether they get the vaccine or not. A good percentage of parents I know will not be getting their kids vaccinated.  Good on them. 

Edited by JamesM48

4 hours ago, Gizmo said:

Her advice was political and wrong. 
The zero covid plan was so flawed a child could explain it wouldn’t work (probably only got listened to due to U.K. govt closing down too late in 1st lockdown) This continued even up to Xmas21 where she was pushing/together with the Scot Gov for even more draconian close downs that wouldn’t work (thankfully they couldn’t afford too and the fact we are part of U.K. stopped this). 
How her tune has changed now with opening up… and people need people. 

Lord Montpelier
44 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Are you against vaccination for healthy kids with the MMR vaccine? 

Not at all. But measles , mumps etc was also well known as being dangerous to children 40/50 years ago and the MMR jab has a long track record of being safe. Both mine have it. 

Covid doesn't carry the same risk and the vaccines don't have the same track record at this point. 

Devi Sridhar, again.

😂😂😂

Remember when she said lifting restrictions in England last year would result immediately in another lockdown?

Sensationalist enjoying her 5 seconds of fame. All credit to her for that in fairness.

Nucky Thompson
1 hour ago, jack D and coke said:

Ours don’t? :lol: cmon man they get pelters! Rightly or wrongly is debatable depending on your views but to say they aren’t questioned is nonsense cmon. 
Scotland the only country where people who barely get a vote get to demand shit from our govt and get loads of media tome to air their views. Wee fuds like Anus and Dougie :lol: 

Not the way I see it jack. Not once did the STV news question the extra restrictions in Scotland compared to England.

FFS they've led every night for the last 10 days about the Downing street parties :lol: Even again tonight

jack D and coke
5 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Not the way I see it jack. Not once did the STV news question the extra restrictions in Scotland compared to England.

FFS they've led every night for the last 10 days about the Downing street parties :lol: Even again tonight

Mibbe listen to radio Scotland sometimes. Every other day they have Wee Anus or Wee Doogz or some other no mark map that gets barely any votes demanding this that and the other despite the fact nobody in the country gives a monkeys what they think. Even their bosses daahn saaaf care not a jot of their opinions 😀😂
Im not saying people shouldn’t be questioning them tbh but to say nobody says anything is just not close to any truth. 

Edited by jack D and coke

47 minutes ago, jambomjm74 said:

Her advice was political and wrong. 
The zero covid plan was so flawed a child could explain it wouldn’t work (probably only got listened to due to U.K. govt closing down too late in 1st lockdown) This continued even up to Xmas21 where she was pushing/together with the Scot Gov for even more draconian close downs that wouldn’t work (thankfully they couldn’t afford too and the fact we are part of U.K. stopped this). 
How her tune has changed now with opening up… and people need people. 

Scotland was in step with all other major European countries - the exception being England, who were most certainly taking their particular path for overtly political reasons.

As the science changes, as knowledge grows , as boosters become knowingly efficacious against the latest mutation , it's appropriate for scienfic advisors to review continuously and where appropriate amend their approach/advice. That's what transpired. 

Nucky Thompson
12 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Scotland was in step with all other major European countries - the exception being England,

Scotland is not part of the EU anymore, they are part of the United Kingdom

Why do you care as you live in England?

Nucky Thompson
17 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Scotland was in step with all other major European countries - the exception being England, who were most certainly taking their particular path for overtly political reasons.

As the science changes, as knowledge grows , as boosters become knowingly efficacious against the latest mutation , it's appropriate for scienfic advisors to review continuously and where appropriate amend their approach/advice. That's what transpired. 

Also, how are those major European countries comparing to the UK just now?

The UK has the most boosted, least restrictions and most open economy in Europe 

18 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Scotland was in line with the U.K. as the scientific advice and forums were at a U.K. level. 
The devolved parliaments then had control over certain aspects.. but broadly they were fairly well aligned. Given we share the same U.K. govt and island, that makes sense (even if you don’t like the U.K.?) 
The euro link is tenuous at best and one benefit of non euro influence was our speed of vaccine.  I’m not a brexiteer btw  
Zero covid was a New Zealand strategy and China (probably the only one left) that Sturgeon and Devi used to play out and one that was doomed to fail and seemed to be agreeable as it was different to Westminster (as other polices seem to take favour)

1 hour ago, Taffin said:

Devi Sridhar, again.

😂😂😂

Remember when she said lifting restrictions in England last year would result immediately in another lockdown?

Sensationalist enjoying her 5 seconds of fame. All credit to her for that in fairness.

Yes she’s had her 5 minutes of havoc 

53 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Yes I noticed that tonight on stv news 

29 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Correct . Health needs handed fully back to west minster . 

The Real Maroonblood
52 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Scotland like England are still in Europe geographically and surely that's what counts. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )