Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

3 minutes ago, jambomjm74 said:

Do you need to group me with another comment. 
One of the things the U.K. govt got right was the procurement of vaccines, as we weren’t part of EU we did this quicker and without red tape and didn’t need to wait, One of the few benefits of Brexit. Did we pay more, or did we help a few pals .. I don’t know. Again I’m not a supporter of Brexit … or any form of nationalism but here we were ahead due to U.K. and Brexit. 

Not sure what your problem is with the multi-quote system, but this issue is not even up for debate. The tories, as always, lied to promote a supposedly positive benefit of Brexit.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/55163730

From the horses mouth - Chief Executive of the UK's medicines regulator.

Edited by Gizmo

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Said this before but she will do the opposite of BJ every time and that is why we will have face masks till the end of Feb while the rest of the country gets on with life. I have no problem with politicians being just that but like you say don't pretend you are not!

Some saying Boris was forced into no restrictions by his back benchers but where are the dissenting voices in the SNP?

It feels more and more like a dictatorship every time she opens her gob.

The rights and wrongs of differing decisions made are, as I've said, largely political in nature. Not all, but most of them.

I detest the Tories and the way they conducted themselves over this pandemic has been scandalous to the point of criminality. 

Any decisions the Nats made, and I've disagreed with a few, pale into insignificance compared to that lot down there. 

The point, I suppose, is, if the Nats had behaved half as bad as them, there would be an almighty uproar on here.

One example was the £600K that went “ missing “ from the Nats' funds.

People on here of a unionist persuasion, got themselves bent out of shape while Tory cabinet members were syphoning off public money to their friends in the order of billions of pounds.

Perspective is the word. 

Dennis Denuto
9 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I'm not saying Westminster should take back control of health permanently, but I don't think it's unreasonable to think that the UK government should take full control in another health emergency or pandemic.

It isn't just down to health which is devolved, other factors like border control, finance etc comes into play.

There's now doubt that different approaches on this island has been a total farce and I don't think many Welsh or Scottish people would complain if Westminster passed a bill through parliament in the event of future pandemics. 

Edit. I'm not answering for James, just getting my own opinion over

And as a man who believes in the Union then I can see how you would think that way, I obviously take a different view. I don't think the slight differences have been a total farce across the devolved nations and I would be concerned in handing power to Westminster the way have controlled the funding for contracts, grants to business, the self employed and employees.  I would have liked the devolved Governments to have more control over the finances for the Pandemic as I fundamentally oppose the Conservative way of thinking over welfare and need.

I don't expect you to agree with that, but that's fine - it healthy to debate and we all get our vote every few years to make changes. (That was not the case in East Germany in 1983)

7 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

Not sure what your problem is with the multi-quote system, but this issue is not even up for debate. The tories, as always, lied to promote a supposedly positive benefit of Brexit.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/55163730

From the horses mouth - Chief Executive of the UK's medicines regulator.

Great you’ve found a quote that supports a part of your update. 
The reality was EU was slower to arrange agreements to procure vaccines.. probably due to its size, could it have been as quick as uk, yes but it certainly wasn’t. I assume you remember the “vaccine wars” where EU was going to block the vaccines from leaving euros into U.K.  

That’s my point and based on fact. 
Its not a support or Tories or Brexit, neither are my cup of tea.. but it was one of the few “actual” benefits of Brexit. 

46 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I'm not saying Westminster should take back control of health permanently, but I don't think it's unreasonable to think that the UK government should take full control in another health emergency or pandemic.

It isn't just down to health which is devolved, other factors like border control, finance etc comes into play.

There's now doubt that different approaches on this island has been a total farce and I don't think many Welsh or Scottish people would complain if Westminster passed a bill through parliament in the event of future pandemics. 

Edit. I'm not answering for James, just getting my own opinion over

It’s ok Nucky I’m big enough and pretty enough to answer for myself 😂 however I completely agree that in times of a national emergency like health then all 4 nations need to sing from the same sheet . This island is too small to have differing restrictions etc . Both sides have used covid as a political football including Sturgeon . However she needs to be very careful as I would argue ( sorry the argument in a future Indy ref) will be we were better together for a variety of reasons in handling the pandemic . 

4 hours ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Bollocks this is not a fact based forum, it's about opinions.

You didn't state an opinion, you said that scientists had lost their jobs for speaking out against restrictions. Just admit you made it up to support your stance

Adam_the_legend
56 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

From the BBC

Sub-variant of Omicron being investigated by UK health agency

Scientists have said they are investigating a sub-variant of Omicron known as BA.2.

In a tweet posted on Friday lunchtime, the UK Health Security Agency said BA.2 had been designated as a variant under investigation - though case numbers were "currently low".

The UKHSA, the government agency responsible for public health protection, said the original Omicron variant, known as BA.1, remained the dominant form of Covid in the UK.

Further analyses would be undertaken into the new variant, the UKHSA said.

Dr Meera Chand, incident director at the UKHSA, said: "It is the nature of viruses to evolve and mutate, so it's to be expected that we will continue to see new variants emerge as the pandemic goes on.

"Our continued genomic surveillance allows us to detect them and assess whether they are significant."

14 minutes ago, Adam_the_legend said:

Only as a comment on one particular aspect of that tweet, last year was 3 weeks ago.

As a general comment, going around saying "Don't panic, it's not a threat!" is not really necessary, and can in fact be counterproductive, when no-one has said it is a threat, they've just mentioned that it is a new variant under investigation.

I think I read somewhere that it is being thought to be causing a 'rebound' effect elsewhere on declining numbers,  thus delaying what (hopefully) should still be a declining wave.  The rate of decline appears to have stalled a bit here.  But in the UK they have only trivial numbers of confirmed sub-lineage cases.  Maybe it's more widespread than detected cases.  

It's probably further evidence that it's entered a state of genetic diversity.  It all gets somewhat murky and elusive thereafter.  Not particularly worth bothering about too much because we're beyond the stage where anything can be done about it.  We're in the 'live with it' era now and there aint no turning back.

Ex member of the SaS
1 hour ago, XB52 said:

You didn't state an opinion, you said that scientists had lost their jobs for speaking out against restrictions. Just admit you made it up to support your stance

No for the last time I did not make it up. If you and the other poster are on the internet as much as HE claimed then you and HE would have seen it too. He is only at it and knows full well I was right.

People asking for a link or proof and then ride people who ask them the same question need to have a word with themselves. So in the end accept what was posted or ignore it, I don't give a F what you think or want to believe.

Ex member of the SaS
1 hour ago, Dennis Denuto said:

And as a man who believes in the Union then I can see how you would think that way, I obviously take a different view. I don't think the slight differences have been a total farce across the devolved nations and I would be concerned in handing power to Westminster the way have controlled the funding for contracts, grants to business, the self employed and employees.  I would have liked the devolved Governments to have more control over the finances for the Pandemic as I fundamentally oppose the Conservative way of thinking over welfare and need.

I don't expect you to agree with that, but that's fine - it healthy to debate and we all get our vote every few years to make changes. (That was not the case in East Germany in 1983)

Not one for handing power back but I do agree there should have been a committee made up of all the devolved nations and attacked the pandemic as one body. By having different rules it only confused people as they did not always make it clear on the news which country the restrictions applied to. It can't be beyond the devolved governments to get together with the Westminster mod and have a more holistic approach.

Dennis Denuto
1 minute ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Not one for handing power back but I do agree there should have been a committee made up of all the devolved nations and attacked the pandemic as one body. By having different rules it only confused people as they did not always make it clear on the news which country the restrictions applied to. It can't be beyond the devolved governments to get together with the Westminster mod and have a more holistic approach.

The main problem with that was that there seemed to be agreement between three of the 4 nations but the big wanted to do things it own way - I accept that others view this differently but that's how I saw it through my admittedly biased views.

Also there were so little differences at times agreement should have been able to be reached.

Footballfirst
1 hour ago, redjambo said:

Only as a comment on one particular aspect of that tweet, last year was 3 weeks ago.

As a general comment, going around saying "Don't panic, it's not a threat!" is not really necessary, and can in fact be counterproductive, when no-one has said it is a threat, they've just mentioned that it is a new variant under investigation.

That's a fair assessment of the current situation.   

Given what we have gone through, one of the risks would be complacency and an misplaced assumption that the next variant that comes along will be weaker than the last.  That has not been borne out by our experience with Covid.

Alpha was more virulent and transmissable than the original Wuhan virus.

Delta was more virulent and transmissable than Alpha, despite vaccinations

Omicron was less virulant with the help of boosters, but still more transmissable than Delta.

Edited by Footballfirst

3 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Im not a unionist. I have zero interest in Indy now though . There is a difference. I have zero interest if the vote is yes or no.  

James, dear fellow. You're on here bashing the SNP and Nippy Krankie or whatever they want to call her. You'd rather be governed by right wing English Nationalists at Westminster more than a government voted in by the people of Scotland.

We can run our own affairs just as well as others. I believe independence who'd give us renewed confidence. 

34 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Are you telling us that there wasn't one, or is that just your opinion?

Dennis Denuto
6 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

Are you telling us that there wasn't one, or is that just your opinion?

I think it is his opinion that COBRA didn't exist

8 minutes ago, Dennis Denuto said:

I think it is his opinion that COBRA didn't exist

Tbf the devolved nations attendance at COBRA was by invitation, and neither the PM nor the FM attended the first few about Covid.

Footballfirst
3 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Tbf the devolved nations attendance at COBRA was by invitation, and neither the PM nor the FM attended the first few about Covid.

There have been regular 4-nations meetings, generally between Michael Gove and the devolved FMs.

1 hour ago, redjambo said:

That’s fine im not panicking 

1 hour ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

No for the last time I did not make it up. If you and the other poster are on the internet as much as HE claimed then you and HE would have seen it too. He is only at it and knows full well I was right.

People asking for a link or proof and then ride people who ask them the same question need to have a word with themselves. So in the end accept what was posted or ignore it, I don't give a F what you think or want to believe.

Oh I never correspond with him .

36 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

James, dear fellow. You're on here bashing the SNP and Nippy Krankie or whatever they want to call her. You'd rather be governed by right wing English Nationalists at Westminster more than a government voted in by the people of Scotland.

We can run our own affairs just as well as others. I believe independence who'd give us renewed confidence. 

Dear fellow ??? That’a nice and well mannered . I’m a bit like Hannibal lector in that I like manners and hate rudeness ! However I don’t eat rude people , well no let yet 😂 

problem is I’ve seen how the SNP have governed over the last decade or so and it’s been a catalogue of disasters . If they became the lead party in a Indy Scotland I’d be afraid very, very afraid 😎

Lord Montpelier
1 hour ago, Roxy Hearts said:

"We can run our own affairs just as well as others"

Got any evidence to support this ? Don't see it myself. That's not to say those big nasty bullies in Westminster are doing any better right now, but I'd need convinced on this. 

Konrad von Carstein
1 hour ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

You've got that the wrong way round for a start!

The Real Maroonblood
5 minutes ago, kila said:

:laugh:

This thread can be split into two parts: pre-enzo James and post-enzo James.

:10900:

Lord Montpelier
21 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Not just Swinney twisting the data, Sturgeon now at it too.

The Scottish people being taken for mugs by the lying SNP

Covid Scotland: Nicola Sturgeon reported over claims she 'twisted' ONS data - Edinburgh Live

Pretty sure she didn't twist the data

Just lacks the intellectual capacity to understand it in the first place. 

8 minutes ago, kila said:

:laugh:

This thread can be split into two parts: pre-enzo James and post-enzo James.

What happened to Enzo? Banned or just renamed? 

30 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Covid Scotland: Nicola Sturgeon reported over claims she 'twisted' ONS data - Edinburgh Live

Quelle surprise. That wont make the heading of the SNTV tonight though Im guessing. 

29 minutes ago, Victorian said:

:biglaugh:

Well thats a first . First time I've seen you post a laughing emoji.  Must be due to that comment or the news of a  possible new variant offshot noted earlier today.  

8 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Well thats a first . First time I've seen you post a laughing emoji.  Must be due to that comment or the news of a  possible new variant offshot noted earlier today.  

Whit?  🤪

Anyway in other covid related news which is thread is about, I finally tested negative for it yesterday after around 10 days positive .it must have took a shining to me despite my repeated attempts to body swerve it .  The last few daily tests were very faint lines .    Out for a few drinks tonight even though the pubs treat you like battery hens and you can’t move about and “ mingle “ can’t even dance  ! We shall do that next week when our leader allows it . All hail NS . Have a good weekend 

C9BF1C06-777F-43F7-BAFB-244368B4D396.gif

Ex member of the SaS
1 hour ago, Taffin said:

Careful now, letting facts spoil their fun, trying to put down posters shows how childish and petty they are. Best just to ignore them as I am doing.

Ex member of the SaS
1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

There have been regular 4-nations meetings, generally between Michael Gove and the devolved FMs.

Not disputing there have been meetings, more that they can't come to an agreement and all follow the same advice. The restrictions should have been the same all over the UK.

manaliveits105
3 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Careful now, letting facts spoil their fun, trying to put down posters shows how childish and petty they are. Best just to ignore them as I am doing.

:robbo:

58 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Swinney didn't twist the data unless you know that the previous complaint was upheld. If the complaint about Sturgeon is the for the same comments about the same data then i expect the same outcome.

Have these allegations been proved or is it you that is being taken for a mug?

Would you like to tell us how you think the figures have been "seriously twisted" as claimed by Rennie.? Perhaps you could tell us what you think she should have said. 

Hint: There is absolutely no doubt that the infection rate and the death rate have been lower in Scotland since the increased restrictions. That means people's lives have been better because of fewer cases, fewer hospitalisations and fewer bereavements in Wales and Scotland. A heavy price to pay for the minor inconveniences of a few postponements, table service and a wee bit more mask wearing don't you think?

3 hours ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

For the last time, no, I havent seen ANY evidence of what you claimed and you know what, I went and searched after you posted to find evidence of your claim. 

You also have a damn cheek claming I'm "at it" and also decrying posters as "childish and petty" when you earlier told me "go do one". :cornette: 

It's not my fault that you lack manners and debating skills and view any replies to your posts as "putting you down" and respond in an immature and often aggressive manner like a bloody dinosaur. If you can't understand that people robustly disagreeing with you on a forum and seeking corroboration of your claims is not "putting you down", that's on you not me. 

SAS_WALLOPER.JPG

Nucky Thompson
48 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

Swinney didn't twist the data unless you know that the previous complaint was upheld. If the complaint about Sturgeon is the for the same comments about the same data then i expect the same outcome.

Have these allegations been proved or is it you that is being taken for a mug?

Would you like to tell us how you think the figures have been "seriously twisted" as claimed by Rennie.? Perhaps you could tell us what you think she should have said. 

Hint: There is absolutely no doubt that the infection rate and the death rate have been lower in Scotland since the increased restrictions. That means people's lives have been better because of fewer cases, fewer hospitalisations and fewer bereavements in Wales and Scotland. A heavy price to pay for the minor inconveniences of a few postponements, table service and a wee bit more mask wearing don't you think?

Did you actually read the link or just jump in with both feet to stick up for your glorious leader?

Sturgeon said that infections were 20% higher in England. ONS figures state that 1 in 20 were infected in both countries in the week ending 15th January.

They also state that the estimated average percentage of the population that had covid in Scotland was 4.49% compared to 5.47% in England. A difference of less than one percent.

As for your last paragraph :vrface:

Do you think it's worth destroying businesses, people's mental health etc for no meaningful gain?

She fecked it up and Boris made her look stupid, that's why she done a U-Turn after 16 days

Edited by Nucky Thompson

2 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Dear fellow ??? That’a nice and well mannered . I’m a bit like Hannibal lector in that I like manners and hate rudeness ! However I don’t eat rude people , well no let yet 😂 

problem is I’ve seen how the SNP have governed over the last decade or so and it’s been a catalogue of disasters . If they became the lead party in a Indy Scotland I’d be afraid very, very afraid 😎

Nice to be nice. I don't look at independence through the prism of  SNP although they are a vehicle to get there. I look at the opportunity we will have to get the policies and governments we'll vote for. 

I also look at the nation of Scotland and know can do it. We are great people and not just Scots, everyone, well law abiding ones! 

It's been a really difficult time for a lot of people including myself but decisions had to be made whether we liked it or not.

1 minute ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Nice to be nice. I don't look at independence through the prism of  SNP although they are a vehicle to get there. I look at the opportunity we will have to get the policies and governments we'll vote for. 

I also look at the nation of Scotland and know can do it. We are great people and not just Scots, everyone, well law abiding ones! 

It's been a really difficult time for a lot of people including myself but decisions had to be made whether we liked it or not.

:greatpost:

Let's not forget, that survey James filled out on another thread said he's something like 80%+ match for the SNP because of their policies :laugh:

Bet he's got saltire pants he doesn't let anyone see and instead wears Union Jack ones when out and about with Enzo and pals.

2 hours ago, Lord Montpelier said:

"We can run our own affairs just as well as others"

Got any evidence to support this ? Don't see it myself. That's not to say those big nasty bullies in Westminster are doing any better right now, but I'd need convinced on this. 

Jesus, how wet. 😁

Lord Montpelier
14 minutes ago, Savage Vince said:

Jesus, how wet. 😁

Typical response from someone who has zero intellect to make a persuasive argument. If in doubt, insult - the nationalist way. 

Still not convinced btw. 

3 minutes ago, Lord Montpelier said:

Typical response from someone who has zero intellect to make a persuasive argument. If in doubt, insult - the nationalist way. 

Still not convinced btw. 

I thought your comment was insulting. 

46 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Did you actually read the link or just jump in with both feet to stick up for your glorious leader?

Sturgeon said that infections were 20% higher in England. ONS figures state that 1 in 20 were infected in both countries in the week ending 15th January.

They also state that the estimated average percentage of the population that had covid in Scotland was 4.49% compared to 5.47% in England. A difference of less than one percent.

Do you think it's worth destroying businesses, people's mental health etc for no meaningful gain?

She fecked it up and Boris made her look stupid, that's why she done a U-Turn after 16 days

5.47 is 21.83% higher than 4.49 🤷‍♂️ 

1 minute ago, Smithee said:

5.47 is 21.83% higher than 4.49 🤷‍♂️ 

Careful now, letting facts spoil their fun. 😉

1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Any stats showing how many extra businesses have been destroyed in Scotland compared to England? Or how many more mental health problems have resulted from the difference in restrictions?

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )