Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Malinga the Swinga
6 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

My granddaughter has just caught it off her big brother! She had respiratory problems when she was a baby and was at sick kids twice so we're obviously a little worried. The whole family were meant to meet up for Christmas Dinner! Covid can do one! Fed up with it.

Fingers crossed everything turns out okay for you.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

My granddaughter has just caught it off her big brother! She had respiratory problems when she was a baby and was at sick kids twice so we're obviously a little worried. The whole family were meant to meet up for Christmas Dinner! Covid can do one! Fed up with it.

Hope things Turn out ok . 

Footballfirst
5 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Genuine question but if someone does a LFT how do they know if they have the new omicron one or an old hat variety? Does the other type of test differentiate?

Omicron cases are only identified by genomic testing of PCR samples. (smallish number)

Probable Omicron cases (S gene drop out) are identified by a certain type of PCR tests. (larger number)

LFTs only provide an indicator that you have a covid virus (to be be confirmed by a PCR test)

Edited by Footballfirst

1 minute ago, Footballfirst said:

Omicron cases are only identified by genomic testing of PCR samples. (smallish number)

Probable Omicron cases (S gene drop out) are identified by a certain type of PCR tests. (larger number)

LFTs only provide an indicator that you have a covid virus (to be be confirmed by a PCR test)

Cheers for that.

So is it possible that if someone has a general cold/flu it could show up on an LFT if its just looking for a covid virus? I may be wrong in assuming it's all part of a general covid family.

7 minutes ago, Dennis Denuto said:

I hope everything goes ok for you, Covid can defo do one!!!

6 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Fingers crossed everything turns out okay for you.

Cheers 👍

The Real Maroonblood
15 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

I hope she gets well son which I'm sure she will.

Nucky Thompson
12 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Worrying time for you Roxy, but youngsters will fight it off no problem :thumbsup:

I know someone in their 70's with a respiratory problem who caught it and they were hardly even bothered by it

Nucky Thompson
14 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

NHS Lothian was up 9 since yesterday to 83.  The number had bottomed out at 67 a week or so ago, so it is starting to creep up.  ICU beds have been stable at 4 or 5 for the last week or more. The last time they were in double figures was in early November.

Cheers FF :thumbsup:

Footballfirst
1 minute ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Cheers for that.

So is it possible that if someone has a general cold/flu it could show up on an LFT if its just looking for a covid virus? I may be wrong in assuming it's all part of a general covid family.

I wouldn't have thought so. The LFT being used widely is designed to capture the presence of the Covid 19 spike protein. 

Other LFTs are designed for different purposes, e.g. a home pregnancy test.

1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

6k new cases in Scotland today, that includes some that weren't reported yesterday.

It's been 13 days since Sturgeon said that omicron will become dominant in a couple of days and a tsunami of infections will run riot and we could get up to 25k a day.

OK, omicron become dominant, but the other stuff :wattie:

Pedantic alert, the numbers today don't include any from yesterday. 

Sorry seen already corrected 

Edited by XB52

10 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I wouldn't have thought so. The LFT being used widely is designed to capture the presence of the Covid 19 spike protein. 

Other LFTs are designed for different purposes, e.g. a home pregnancy test.

With all the isolating there will probably be a spike in those LFT results.

Either that or record number of divorce papers being served.

39 minutes ago, Boab said:

That is surprising. I was in Lancashire at the same time and everyone looked at us as ifwe had two heads as we entered pubs etc !

It was more public transport and shops, pubs were busy and mask-free.

Footballfirst

Potentially good news that Omicron will have a short peak.

Prof Balloux, from University College London, tells the BBC Radio 4's World at One: "I think in London it has peaked, and in other parts of the country it is kind of peaking or peaking soon.

"There's a bit of a lag between infections and the cases - it takes a little while for people to test positive. I would say probably infections have peaked and cases probably not yet."

On Wednesday, the UK again recorded its highest ever daily number of coronavirus cases - 106,122 - the first time the number has reached six figures.

Asked if these high number of cases were likely to translate into large numbers of hospital admissions and deaths, Balloux says the UK is in a "more comfortable" situation than in previous waves.

This is because of increased amounts of immunity in the population through vaccination and previous infections.

"Yes, I think hospitalisations will go up but not necessarily to a level like we saw in the past," he says.

Ex member of the SaS

So it continues, Certain age groups to get a FOURTH jab in the spring or summer. Someone is making a mint out of this and is the big reason to keep the people in fear, so they will run along like good little bunnies and keep getting the next booster.

If anyone thought ALL the restrictions would be removed needs to think again as they will never give back the freedoms they have taken away

Malinga the Swinga
6 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Potentially good news that Omicron will have a short peak.

Prof Balloux, from University College London, tells the BBC Radio 4's World at One: "I think in London it has peaked, and in other parts of the country it is kind of peaking or peaking soon.

"There's a bit of a lag between infections and the cases - it takes a little while for people to test positive. I would say probably infections have peaked and cases probably not yet."

On Wednesday, the UK again recorded its highest ever daily number of coronavirus cases - 106,122 - the first time the number has reached six figures.

Asked if these high number of cases were likely to translate into large numbers of hospital admissions and deaths, Balloux says the UK is in a "more comfortable" situation than in previous waves.

This is because of increased amounts of immunity in the population through vaccination and previous infections.

"Yes, I think hospitalisations will go up but not necessarily to a level like we saw in the past," he says.

Good, let's have more news like this and less negativity.

32 minutes ago, Savage Vince said:

It was more public transport and shops, pubs were busy and mask-free.

That makes sense !

I only shop at Chrimbo and avoid buses !

😎

Malinga the Swinga
3 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

So it continues, Certain age groups to get a FOURTH jab in the spring or summer. Someone is making a mint out of this and is the big reason to keep the people in fear, so they will run along like good little bunnies and keep getting the next booster.

If anyone thought ALL the restrictions would be removed needs to think again as they will never give back the freedoms they have taken away

Disagree, I believe all restrictions will eventually go. Might take a while, but we'll get there. Not as quickly as everyone would wish, but we can't give up hope.

The Mighty Thor
11 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Who stands to benefit from 'all the freedoms they have taken away' not being re-instated? 

I've scratched my head and I genuinely can't see who benefits.

Care to enlighten us?

3 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Who stands to benefit from 'all the freedoms they have taken away' not being re-instated? 

Care to enlighten us?

Big Farmers.  :cheese:

Ex member of the SaS
1 minute ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Care to enlighten us?

Not into conspiracy theories but the great reset is true. You only have to look at the big companies and how they control your life. Amazon with a machine that listens to your conversations and generates adverts that go along with your preferences.

Even this site generates such ads, soon you will get points for how good a citizen you are. China already doing this.

OK seriously, they won't repeal the rules where you are not allowed protest. They won't repeal certain movement rules and you will have to carry ID papers ( covid passports are already part of this. ) 

They are already building a two tier society and while the above is a joke parts are already coming true.

13 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Care to enlighten us?

Who stands to gain by ignoring the omicron wave in South Africa?

The Mighty Thor
6 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Not into conspiracy theories but the great reset is true. You only have to look at the big companies and how they control your life. Amazon with a machine that listens to your conversations and generates adverts that go along with your preferences.

Even this site generates such ads, soon you will get points for how good a citizen you are. China already doing this.

OK seriously, they won't repeal the rules where you are not allowed protest. They won't repeal certain movement rules and you will have to carry ID papers ( covid passports are already part of this. ) 

They are already building a two tier society and while the above is a joke parts are already coming true.

I'm glad you're not into the conspiracy theories you believe are true, like the er 'great reset' 

The protest law (the policing bill) was on the go before covid struck.

Is it Bezos or Gates that's controlling the micro chips in the vaccines? Are they having shot about? Bill on Monday, Wednesday & Friday and Jeff the rest? 

You do know the need for ID papers is pretty redundant when the phone in your pocket is broadcasting where you are 24/7? 

How does the two tier society split down? 

So many questions. 

The Mighty Thor
9 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Who stands to gain by ignoring the omicron wave in South Africa?

I'm maybe being a bit thick, but I've no idea what you're on about. 

Who is ignoring it? 🤷‍♂️ 

Ex member of the SaS

I'm glad you're not into the conspiracy theories you believe are true, like the er 'great reset' 

Is it Bezos or Gates that's controlling the micro chips in the vaccines? Are they having shot about? Bill on Monday, Wednesday & Friday and Jeff the rest? 

You do know the need for ID papers is pretty redundant when the phone in your pocket is broadcasting where you are 24/7? 

So many questions. 

I knew you would jump on the first part, that was why I said seriously?  It's not a matter of being tracked by your phone but about an ID card that you must carry and produce when confronted by who knows how many organisations.

The Mighty Thor
20 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Big Farmers.  :cheese:

Not the ones over here. The crops are rotting in the fields and we're culling pigs just for the shits and giggles. 

So many questions. 

This is what I don't get about the where's our freedom guys !

Whispering in a pub with no devices on you and a fake moustache...aye...maybe elude a lot of exposure but ranting online ? Most probably on a phone ?

Freedom ? Are you guys having a Turkish ?

Who is ignoring it? 🤷‍♂️ 

Literally everyone who backs the government. We are sitting waiting on the worst case scenario and continually told to ignore what’s happening/ happened in SA. Now we are starting to mirror what’s happening there it is all fingers crossed bollox, wait for more data shite. What has happened there has been down played so much respected, qualified professionals have been questioned. 🙄

Adam_the_legend

Who is ignoring it? 🤷‍♂️ 

SAGE for a start (I appreciate the headline but the article makes it clear they aren’t considering SA when making their restrictions recommendations)

The Mighty Thor
Just now, Ex member of the SaS said:

I knew you would jump on the first part, that was why I said seriously?  It's not a matter of being tracked by your phone but about an ID card that you must carry and produce when confronted by who knows how many organisations.

When I read great reset a part of my soul dies.

What ID do you have to produce currently and what are these organisations doing with this data?

The only ID I've had to produce in the last 10 years has been my passport to travel and my driving licence to hire a car. 

Nucky Thompson

Who is ignoring it? 🤷‍♂️ 

Ignoring it or not looking at data from 'irrelevant countries' :whistling:

Lord Montpelier
8 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

So many questions. 

The World Economic Forum contains a lot of information on the 'Great Reset'. As an idea / vision for society it is something being discussed. 

The Mighty Thor
2 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Literally everyone who backs the government. We are sitting waiting on the worst case scenario and continually told to ignore what’s happening/ happened in SA. Now we are starting to mirror what’s happening there it is all fingers crossed bollox, wait for more data shite. What has happened there has been down played so much respected, qualified professionals have been questioned. 🙄

2 minutes ago, Adam_the_legend said:

SAGE for a start (I appreciate the headline but the article makes it clear they aren’t considering SA when making their restrictions recommendations)

1 minute ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Ignoring it or not looking at data from 'irrelevant countries' :whistling:

Ah I get you all now. 

You're right. Our two countries are so similar. The make up of our populations is identical, the way we live, our health systems, everything. Identical. 

It's uncanny. It's also the height of the southern hemisphere summer so just like us they'll be tucked up indoors with the heating on. 

We should follow what they've done with their NHS. 

I don't think I've seen a single instance of anyone suggesting that South Africa should be ignored.  It was always a very useful guide or hint as to what to expect if it translated well into the data here.

Remaining open-minded about the evidence from S.A. was never and still is not ignoring it.

The Mighty Thor
5 minutes ago, Lord Montpelier said:

The World Economic Forum contains a lot of information on the 'Great Reset'. As an idea / vision for society it is something being discussed. 

Oh well in that case it's definitely going to happen. 

I suspect the 'great reset' being touted by the WEF is a very different one from the one the tin foil hatters think is coming. 

27 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

They won't repeal certain movement rules and you will have to carry ID papers ( covid passports are already part of this. ) 

They're not a part of anything , or "this", whatever "this" is.

You can be refused service at any restaurant/bar/nightclub for any reason, you can be asked to produce  some form ID to prove your identity or your age and no one thinks twice  : but ask someone to prove they're being a conscientious, caring citizen and people lose their minds. 

4 minutes ago, Victorian said:

I don't think I've seen a single instance of anyone suggesting that South Africa should be ignored.  It was always a very useful guide or hint as to what to expect if it translated well into the data here.

Remaining open-minded about the evidence from S.A. was never and still is not ignoring it.

If you heard Christopher Chope on LBC yesterday , that's close as you'll get to a full-on denier who says we should ignore the "propagandists" but when pressed refused to clarify who the "propagandists" are. 

Adam_the_legend
4 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Ah I get you all now. 

You're right. Our two countries are so similar. The make up of our populations is identical, the way we live, our health systems, everything. Identical. 

It's uncanny. It's also the height of the southern hemisphere summer so just like us they'll be tucked up indoors with the heating on. 

We should follow what they've done with their NHS. 

This is really a strange view and seems completely designed to actively avoid positive news. We have seen variants from India, Brazil…etc throughout this pandemic and not once have I seen you or anyone really focus on the differences. The assumption was always it’s bad in -insert country here- so we need to

respond accordingly. Then, as soon as there is positive data from a country we all of a sudden need to focus on all the differences between the countries. Your fear is getting the better of you. 

Adam_the_legend
8 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Whitty/SAGE have repeatedly said this. 

Lord Montpelier
6 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Oh well in that case it's definitely going to happen. 

I suspect the 'great reset' being touted by the WEF is a very different one from the one the tin foil hatters think is coming. 

Didn't say it was going to happen. Merely pointing out its a bona fide construct for society and pointing you in the direction of some material should you wish to educate yourself further. 

1 minute ago, Adam_the_legend said:

They just haven't.  They consistently suggested that it shouldn't be taken as direct evidence of what would occur here.  That is not ignoring it.  It's being open minded.

The Mighty Thor
5 minutes ago, Adam_the_legend said:

This is really a strange view and seems completely designed to actively avoid positive news. We have seen variants from India, Brazil…etc throughout this pandemic and not once have I seen you or anyone really focus on the differences. The assumption was always it’s bad in -insert country here- so we need to

respond accordingly. Then, as soon as there is positive data from a country we all of a sudden need to focus on all the differences between the countries. Your fear is getting the better of you. 

What fear?

What's happening in a very different country the other side of the world is noteworthy from the point of how the virus behaves. That's it.

What's happens in this country is the only relevant thing to me as I live here and not in Cape Town. 

7 minutes ago, Adam_the_legend said:

They have not. They have warned against drawing conclusions too early particularly given the age demographic is totally diferent as is the level of previous infection in the general population in SA.

The Mighty Thor
5 minutes ago, Lord Montpelier said:

Didn't say it was going to happen. Merely pointing out its a bona fide construct for society and pointing you in the direction of some material should you wish to educate yourself further. 

The WEF are a member based economic think tank.

Their 'great reset' is the latest re-branded iteration of their 'fourth industrial revolution' stuff. 

They and their partners have got skin in the game as its were. 

In London, #NHS #dentistry rapidly collapsing with #COVID19 staff sickness. We’re down to one #dentist & one nurse on two sites tomorrow, if we’re lucky. No agency staff available. Yet

@NHSEngland

is in silent mode… no recognition of the situation unfolding across the #NHS

The Mighty Thor
1 minute ago, NANOJAMBO said:

In London, #NHS #dentistry rapidly collapsing with #COVID19 staff sickness. We’re down to one #dentist & one nurse on two sites tomorrow, if we’re lucky. No agency staff available. Yet

@NHSEngland

is in silent mode… no recognition of the situation unfolding across the #NHS

They should fly over dentists and nurses from Cape Town or Johannesburg. 

The Saffers are made of sterner stuff 👍

35 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Not the ones over here. The crops are rotting in the fields and we're culling pigs just for the shits and giggles. 

The pigs should have dun der oan ree-search.  Or izzat sheep?  :cheese:

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )