Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

1 minute ago, The Mighty Thor said:

They should fly over dentists and nurses from Cape Town or Johannesburg. 

The Saffers are made of sterner stuff 👍

Won't a certain poster spontaneously combust ? 😄

He was seeting about one bloke flying in from IOW , IIRC. 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Mighty Thor
1 minute ago, Ulysses said:

The pigs should have dun der oan ree-search.  Or izzat sheep?  :cheese:

The pigs are highly intelligent.

Us sheep are sitting at home shitting it awaiting chief mammy's next dictat. 

The pigs got off lightly. ☹

9 minutes ago, Barack said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-59769969

Sorry if already posted.

Won't be boosting myself up every 3 months or that. 

I'll have one once a year. I'll take the fall-out.

15-25% drop in vaccine efficacy in just 10 weeks isn't great news.

As long as the rise in cases is halted soon, we should be in an ok place with that reduced hospital rate though. 🤞

Edited by Ray Gin

Adam_the_legend
14 minutes ago, Victorian said:

They just haven't.  They consistently suggested that it shouldn't be taken as direct evidence of what would occur here.  That is not ignoring it.  It's being open minded.

12 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

They have not. They have warned against drawing conclusions too early particularly given the age demographic is totally diferent as is the level of previous infection in the general population in SA.

Aka, ignored. Seems we are arguing semantics now. The SAGE reports have been clear in their lack of recognition of SA data. It’s all there in black and white!

Nucky Thompson
30 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Ah I get you all now. 

You're right. Our two countries are so similar. The make up of our populations is identical, the way we live, our health systems, everything. Identical. 

It's uncanny. It's also the height of the southern hemisphere summer so just like us they'll be tucked up indoors with the heating on. 

We should follow what they've done with their NHS. 

Maybe we should've just ignored the original strain then because it started on the other side of the World in China

Footballfirst

You will be aware that I like to play with stats. I've put together a table to compare the growth in cases between London and Scotland to see if there is any evidence of the current wave getting worse, slowing down or having turned the corner.

For London, it looks as if the peak rate of increase in cases occurred a week ago, and although the raw numbers are still going up they have slowed quite markedly.  For Scotland the position is less clear. The rate of increase has not been as high as London but it isn't clear, as yet, that the worst is over.  I think the best that can be said is that the wave has been flatter in Scotland thus far.

I hope that the booster programme and the limited restrictions and guidelines are having the desired effects, both in London and Scotland.  

London1.JPG.21e76e047306b9dcbd3b9ad29dddd1b7.JPG

Edited by Footballfirst

Nucky Thompson
11 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

In London, #NHS #dentistry rapidly collapsing with #COVID19 staff sickness. We’re down to one #dentist & one nurse on two sites tomorrow, if we’re lucky. No agency staff available. Yet

@NHSEngland

is in silent mode… no recognition of the situation unfolding across the #NHS

I'll just ignore London, it's on the other side of the UK with way different demographics to Scotland :wattie:

2 minutes ago, Adam_the_legend said:

Aka, ignored. Seems we are arguing semantics now. The SAGE reports have been clear in their lack of recognition of SA data. It’s all there in black and white!

Ignore.

refuse to take notice of or acknowledge; disregard intentionally

Not what was done with the S.A. information.

No semantics going on.  Just one person being wrong.  You.

Adam_the_legend
14 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

What fear?

What's happening in a very different country the other side of the world is noteworthy from the point of how the virus behaves. That's it.

What's happens in this country is the only relevant thing to me as I live here and not in Cape Town. 

Your fear. Your fear of the virus, of the pandemic, and it seems your fear of good news. I’m not saying we should have just listened to what SA were saying uncritically but these new arguments about demographics, climate…etc seems like the ultimate straw clutching. I’ll assume if a new variant is found in, say, Alaska, which has a much higher death rate and transmissiblity than any previous one then no one on here will be calling for restrictions in the UK as it’s a “different country”. Yeh, I’ll not hold ma breath. 

The Mighty Thor
4 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Maybe we should've just ignored the original strain then because it started on the other side of the World in China

We did. 

Italy's hospitals were filling up with folk suffocating on their own lungs and we had the Cheltenham festival. 

Remember that?

1 minute ago, Footballfirst said:

You will be aware that I like to play with stats. I've put together a table to compare the growth in cases between London and Scotland to see if there is any evidence of the current wave getting worse, slowing down or having turned the corner.

For London, it looks as if the rate of increase in cases occurred a week ago, and although the raw numbers are still going up they have slowed quite markedly.  For Scotland the position is less clear. The rate of increase has not been as high as London but it isn't clear, as yet, that the worst is over.  I think the best that can be said is that the wave has been flatter in Scotland thus far.

I hope that the booster programme and the limited restrictions and guidelines are having the desired effects, both in London and Scotland.  

London1.JPG.21e76e047306b9dcbd3b9ad29dddd1b7.JPG

We've had the CEO of our Health Service Executive say this morning that case numbers in Ireland could reach 20,000 per day, with a most optimistic forecast of 8,000.  We're currently seeing case numbers similar to Scotland (which has a similar population).

Adam_the_legend
2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Ignore.

refuse to take notice of or acknowledge; disregard intentionally

Not what was done with the S.A. information.

No semantics going on.  Just one person being wrong.  You.

That is literally what they did. 

Just now, Adam_the_legend said:

Rubbish.  Nobody was more keen to gain any insight going from S.A. than the UK scientists.  It simply had to be taken under advisement while they evaluated data here.

While we're at it,  it may be worthwhile reminding that the UK studies are still pretty limited.  Pretty good so far but nowhere near a comprehensive understanding of the overall effects.  Less is known about the effect on the older ages,  etc.

11 minutes ago, Adam_the_legend said:

No, we're definitely not. 

On the other hand, you can Google and find quotes from anyone on SAGE /indpendent SAGE who supports  your statement ? 

The Mighty Thor

Your fear. Your fear of the virus, of the pandemic, and it seems your fear of good news. I’m not saying we should have just listened to what SA were saying uncritically but these new arguments about demographics, climate…etc seems like the ultimate straw clutching. I’ll assume if a new variant is found in, say, Alaska, which has a much higher death rate and transmissiblity than any previous one then no one on here will be calling for restrictions in the UK as it’s a “different country”. Yeh, I’ll not hold ma breath. 

You're confusing be aware of something with being afraid of it. 

It's not an argument about SA being entirely different from the UK, its a statement of fact. 

You're all over the place here. You were claiming in earlier posts that the SAGE group IGNORED the SA data when they very clearly didn't, therefore your Alaskan wibble is (half) baked. 

Footballfirst
1 minute ago, Adam_the_legend said:

I disagree.  The South African studies and those of other countries will always be noted, but not necessarily acted upon unless there is an immediate need to do so.

It is a "cautious" approach but I think it was the right decision to wait until we have real world data from the UK, in light of its different demographic profile and vaccination/infection rates.

You can compare today's caution with the immediate reaction of multiple countries to the emergence of the Omicron variant just a month ago, with countries placed on the red list, quarantine reintroduced and a huge government campaign to up the vaccination/booster take-up and reinforcing basic hygiene messages.

The Mighty Thor
8 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

We've had the CEO of our Health Service Executive say this morning that case numbers in Ireland could reach 20,000 per day, with a most optimistic forecast of 8,000.  We're currently seeing case numbers similar to Scotland (which has a similar population).

SIMILUR POPULAYSHUN!!!

Whurs ra data??? 😂

9 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

We did. 

Italy's hospitals were filling up with folk suffocating on their own lungs and we had the Cheltenham festival. 

Remember that?

It's almost like some folk have already  forgotten what happened last year. 

In N Italy some areas were shut off by armed troops. Meanwhile British airlines were flying in/out of N Italy (eg Bologna , an hour from Milan)  with zero checks on arrivals. This went on until the day of lockdown. 

Dennis Denuto

I’m pretty sure that the level of antibodies and immunity in SA is what lead to the plan to ramp up the booster program to deal with Omicron, so not ignored at all. 

3 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

In N Italy some areas were shut off by armed troops. Meanwhile British airlines were flying in/out of N Italy (eg Bologna , an hour from Milan)  with zero checks on arrivals. This went on until the day of lockdown. 

Careful not to forget that this country's vaccine rollout was world beating for about a fortnight, now. 😕

The Mighty Thor
1 minute ago, NANOJAMBO said:

They have forgotten. 

That was 30 nippoleon/chief mammy restrictions ago. Its hard to remember what you're frothing about when you're frothing that often.

The flights never stopped. Remember there was still flights coming in right through the summer of 2020. 

https://www.defenseone.com/technology/2021/12/us-army-creates-single-vaccine-effective-against-all-covid-sars-variants/360089/

Updated on Dec. 22 to add information from Walter Reed officials about testing the vaccine against the Omicron variant.

Within weeks, scientists at the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research expect to announce that they have developed a vaccine that is effective against COVID-19 and all its variants, even Omicron, as well as previous SARS-origin viruses that have killed millions of people worldwide. 

The achievement is the result of almost two years of work on the virus. The Army lab received its first DNA sequencing of the COVID-19 virus in early 2020. Very early on, Walter Reed’s infectious diseases branch decided to focus on making a vaccine that would work against not just the existing strain but all of its potential variants as well.

Walter Reed’s Spike Ferritin Nanoparticle COVID-19 vaccine, or SpFN, completed animal trials earlier this year with positive results. Phase 1 of human trials, wrapped up this month, again with positive results that are undergoing final review, Dr. Kayvon Modjarrad, director of Walter Reed’s infectious diseases branch, said in an exclusive interview with Defense One on Tuesday. The new vaccine will still need to undergo phase 2 and phase 3 trials.

"We're testing our vaccine against all the different variants, including Omicron," Modjarrad said. 

On Wednesday, Walter Reed officials said in a statement that its vaccine “was not tested on the Omicron variant,“ but later clarified in an email to Defense One that while the recently discovered variant was not part of the animal studies, it is being tested in the lab against clinical human trial samples. These "neutralization assays" test whether antibodies can inhibit the growth of a virus. 

"We want to wait for those clinical data to be able to kind of make the full public announcements, but so far everything has been moving along exactly as we had hoped,” Modjarrad said. 

Unlike existing vaccines, Walter Reed’s SpFN uses a soccer ball-shaped protein with 24 faces for its vaccine, which allows scientists to attach the spikes of multiple coronavirus strains on different faces of the protein.

“It's very exciting to get to this point for our entire team and I think for the entire Army as well,” Modjarrad said. 

Fxxx the SPFL
17 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

We did. 

Remember that?

Cheltenham festival were 80% of punters that go every year come from Ireland and there was no massive spike in infections over there after the event. 

Adam_the_legend
13 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Rubbish.  Nobody was more keen to gain any insight going from S.A. than the UK scientists.  It simply had to be taken under advisement while they evaluated data here.

While we're at it,  it may be worthwhile reminding that the UK studies are still pretty limited.  Pretty good so far but nowhere near a comprehensive understanding of the overall effects.  Less is known about the effect on the older ages,  etc.

12 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

You're confusing be aware of something with being afraid of it. 

It's not an argument about SA being entirely different from the UK, its a statement of fact. 

You're all over the place here. You were claiming in earlier posts that the SAGE group IGNORED the SA data when they very clearly didn't, therefore your Alaskan wibble is (half) baked. 

11 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I disagree.  The South African studies and those of other countries will always be noted, but not necessarily acted upon unless there is an immediate need to do so.

It is a "cautious" approach but I think it was the right decision to wait until we have real world data from the UK, in light of its different demographic profile and vaccination/infection rates.

You can compare today's caution with the immediate reaction of multiple countries to the emergence of the Omicron variant just a month ago, with countries placed on the red list, quarantine reintroduced and a huge government campaign to up the vaccination/booster take-up and reinforcing basic hygiene messages.

It’s unsurprising that those on this thread who were dismissive of the SA data and tried hard to find reasons to ignore it are practicing some revisionism here. There have been multiple reports, including SAGEs own reports showing SA data was not considered but I’m not getting into a barny about it. If you think I’m wrong fine, let’s agree to disagree. 

Footballfirst
5 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

Cheltenham festival were 80% of punters that go every year come from Ireland and there was no massive spike in infections over there after the event. 

From the Guardian 21 April 2020

Public health experts have called for an investigation into whether the decision to allow the Cheltenham racing festival to go ahead in early March led to a rise in coronavirus cases locally.

Mortality figures compiled by the Health Service Journal show that Gloucestershire hospitals NHS trust, which covers Cheltenham, has recorded 125 deaths, roughly double that in two nearby trusts at Bristol (58 each), and those covering Swindon (67) and Bath (46).

The trust declined to comment on the data, while senior officials at Gloucestershire council said there were “many factors” that could have influenced the death totals and comparisons between trusts in the west of England were “not possible”.

3 minutes ago, Adam_the_legend said:

It’s unsurprising that those on this thread who were dismissive of the SA data and tried hard to find reasons to ignore it are practicing some revisionism here. There have been multiple reports, including SAGEs own reports showing SA data was not considered but I’m not getting into a barny about it. If you think I’m wrong fine, let’s agree to disagree. 

You fell apart at "on this thread who were dismissive of the SA data".  

Nobody was dismissive.  They were open minded.  They did not go all in that it was all rock solid proof.

I agree with "let's agree to disagree".

Fxxx the SPFL
1 minute ago, Footballfirst said:

From the Guardian 21 April 2020

Public health experts have called for an investigation into whether the decision to allow the Cheltenham racing festival to go ahead in early March led to a rise in coronavirus cases locally.

Mortality figures compiled by the Health Service Journal show that Gloucestershire hospitals NHS trust, which covers Cheltenham, has recorded 125 deaths, roughly double that in two nearby trusts at Bristol (58 each), and those covering Swindon (67) and Bath (46).

The trust declined to comment on the data, while senior officials at Gloucestershire council said there were “many factors” that could have influenced the death totals and comparisons between trusts in the west of England were “not possible”.

Cheers FF I was actually referring to Ireland I’m sure from memory there was no spike in deaths. There was also the Liverpool v Athletico Madrid game me and the wife were in Manchester and there were a few Athletico fans in our Hotel I’m sure Madrid was reporting high numbers at that point

2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

You fell apart at "on this thread who were dismissive of the SA data".  

Nobody was dismissive.  They were open minded.  They did not go all in that it was all rock solid proof.

I agree with "let's agree to disagree".

His choice of words is deliberate. 

1 minute ago, Victorian said:

New South Wales to consider charging vaccine refuseniks for covid care.

Edited by NANOJAMBO
Just some of the drugs needed

Adam_the_legend
2 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Unreadable, but I see you've been given an uopdate.

That's what happens when you lazily cut & paste the first thing that comes up in your Google search. 

No idea what this means, talk about unreadable. 

Adam_the_legend
4 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

His choice of words is deliberate. 

3 minutes ago, Victorian said:

There's certainly a pattern.

Jesus, are you guys grown adults? Should’ve known better than get involved in this thread. An opinion can’t just be an opinion, there’s always an “agenda” eh. Children 🙄

1 hour ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Ah I get you all now. 

You're right. Our two countries are so similar. The make up of our populations is identical, the way we live, our health systems, everything. Identical. 

It's uncanny. It's also the height of the southern hemisphere summer so just like us they'll be tucked up indoors with the heating on. 

We should follow what they've done with their NHS. 

Does it have to be so extreme? Just because the countries are different it didn’t meant the outcomes would be. 

Anyway our opinions are irrelevant, mamma is in charge. 👍

1 minute ago, Adam_the_legend said:

Jesus, are you guys grown adults? Should’ve known better than get involved in this thread. An opinion can’t just be an opinion, there’s always an “agenda” eh. Children 🙄

It's  not about "opinion". It's about facts. 

And just because you got caught out , you accuse others of behaving like children.🙄

No the pattern is not an insult in any way.  The pattern is you confusing ignore and dismiss with open mindedness or caution.  First it was SAGE scientists and now it's posters on here.

The revisionism is all yours.  You seem keen to characterise people as having been dismissive.  It's no wonder you got corrected.  

The Mighty Thor
25 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.skysports.com/amp/football/news/11669/12432371/coronavirus-mps-report-links-cheltenham-festival-and-liverpool-champions-league-tie-to-78-deaths

1 hour ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Oh well in that case it's definitely going to happen. 

I suspect the 'great reset' being touted by the WEF is a very different one from the one the tin foil hatters think is coming. 

Yeah, they link the "Great Reset" with UN Agenda 17 (sustainable development), which they in turn distort to be a "depopulation agenda". Which, of course, all these vaccines are going to take care of once the 'chips' are switched on. Or is it when 5G is turned on? Hard to keep up.

What really annoys me isn't the ignorance that sees people scared of a device with non-ionising radiation (not enough to not spend all their life on it, mind) to the point the snake-oil salespeople can flog them an pendant that actually emits ionising radiation. Being taken advantage of is bad, but ignorance in technical fields particulary isn't a crime.

What really gets me is how inversely proportionate their knowledge is to their confidence in whatever claptrap fills that void of ignorance, which could just as readily be filled with actual facts; but facts, science papers and technical manuals aren't as exciting as FB posts and youtube videos featuring ominous voice-overs citing some "expert" with a youtube degree and the music from Inception. 🤬

Edited by Gizmo

Adam_the_legend
3 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

It's  not about "opinion". It's about facts. 

And just because you got caught out , you accuse others of behaving like children.🙄

caught out by what? I genuinely have no idea what you are on about 🤷🏼‍♂️

3 minutes ago, Victorian said:

No the pattern is not an insult in any way.  The pattern is you confusing ignore and dismiss with open mindedness or caution.  First it was SAGE scientists and now it's posters on here.

The revisionism is all yours.  You seem keen to characterise people as having been dismissive.  It's no wonder you got corrected.  

I never accused posters of ignoring the SA data, that was aimed at Whitty/SAGE. Then, in a completely different post I noted some posters who were dismissive of SA data, which, in my opinion, they were. Maybe work on your reading comprehension skills. 

caught out by what? I genuinely have no idea what you are on about 🤷🏼‍♂️

I never accused posters of ignoring the SA data, that was aimed at Whitty/SAGE. Then, in a completely different post I noted some posters who were dismissive of SA data, which, in my opinion, they were. Maybe work on your reading comprehension skills. 

I know what you said and getting snarky wont help you.

Nobody was dismissive of the South Africa information.  Yet again,  you're wrong.   

Stick or twist?

4 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

Put it this way,  I feel the exact same way about the 'sheep' than the 'sheep' do against the people like me.

A sort of bewildered sympathy then?

Adam_the_legend
4 minutes ago, Victorian said:

I know what you said and getting snarky wont help you.

Nobody was dismissive of the South Africa information.  Yet again,  you're wrong.   

Stick or twist?

I disagree. You and a number of other posters were dismissive of the SA data. That’s my opinion having read most of your recent posts on this. Now you’re dressing it up as being “open-minded” as the data in the UK is, predictably, following a similar pattern. You’re entitled to your opinion that I’m wrong in my assessment but I’m comfortable with my thoughts on this. I’d suggest we just leave it there as this is just going round in circles. 

I disagree. You and a number of other posters were dismissive of the SA data. That’s my opinion having read most of your recent posts on this. Now you’re dressing it up as being “open-minded” as the data in the UK is, predictably, following a similar pattern. You’re entitled to your opinion that I’m wrong in my assessment but I’m comfortable with my thoughts on this. I’d suggest we just leave it there as this is just going round in circles. 

Everyone is entitled to an opinion on anything but a mischaracterisation is something beyond an opinion.  It's probably not very interesting for anyone to read so no real point in continuing with it.  You wont get off so lightly next time.  ;)

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )