Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

8 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

We now have two UK studies showing less likelihood of hospitalisation with Omicron.  Edinburgh University's study suggested a two thirds reduction and  Imperial College came up with a 40% reduction. Taking a mid point of a 50% reduction, it's good news, although doubling the case numbers will leave us in the same situation as Delta, which was manageable. If case numbers go much beyond double then that could still cause problems for hospitals. Let's hope that boosters, the reinforced guidelines, limited restrictions and holidays are sufficient to slow the spread.

Two other studies by the Universities of Hong Kong and Cambridge may provide even better news. Both studies found that Omicron is less likely to affect deep tissues in the lungs or cause lung cells to fuse together which is evident in seriously ill patients, therefore may result in fewer deaths.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-59758784

I wonder if this means fewer and less severe long-term pulmonary / respiratory issues.  

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

38 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Sorry but no they don't. Nothing they have done has worked so far so why repeat the same mistakes?

Hospitals haven’t been overwhelmed - which I suspect was their main fear.

Horatio Caine
8 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

We now have two UK studies showing less likelihood of hospitalisation with Omicron.  Edinburgh University's study suggested a two thirds reduction and  Imperial College came up with a 40% reduction. Taking a mid point of a 50% reduction, it's good news, although doubling the case numbers will leave us in the same situation as Delta, which was manageable. If case numbers go much beyond double then that could still cause problems for hospitals. Let's hope that boosters, the reinforced guidelines, limited restrictions and holidays are sufficient to slow the spread.

Two other studies by the Universities of Hong Kong and Cambridge may provide even better news. Both studies found that Omicron is less likely to affect deep tissues in the lungs or cause lung cells to fuse together which is evident in seriously ill patients, therefore may result in fewer deaths.

In addition, a South African study shows a 75% reduction in hospitalisation, and this in a population with a much lower vaccination rate, albeit also a much lower average age.

21 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Really good news that proper UK scientists and experts look to now be confirming what those amateurs in SA said...

Hopefully will mean no additional restrictions to come now from the UK government, and fair play to them if so for not over egging the pudding in panic. 

Slight problem. Cases have more than doubled and still heading upwards.

Even at a 50% reduction in hospitalisations, that's still more people in hospital. 

Edited by Ray Gin

8 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Slight problem. Cases have more than doubled and still heading upwards.

Even at a 50% reduction in hospitalisations, that's still more people in hospital. 

It is, but there were no restrictions at all and no abnormal pressure on the NHS with Delta at c.50k cases so with these slight additional measures, the booster campaign and good old fashioned pragmatism I'm fairly confident we'd get through this as is without much issue.

I'd imagine there were significantly more delta cases as well that were simply unreported as people hadn't gone for a test.

Fingers crossed anyway.

Dennis Denuto
3 minutes ago, Taffin said:

It is, but there were no restrictions at all and no abnormal pressure on the NHS with Delta at c.50k cases so with these slight additional measures, the booster campaign and good old fashioned pragmatism I'm fairly confident we'd get through this as is without much issue.

I'd imagine there were significantly more delta cases as well that were simply unreported as people hadn't gone for a test.

Fingers crossed anyway.

TBF you can only compare it to what you know, so you can only use people who actually tested. 

Dennis Denuto
5 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Fingers crossed anyway.

Are you suggesting that Boris and co have played a blinder while Nicola has what the bed? Are you prepared for that kind of backlash on here?

For what it’s worth it is still slightly too soon to say for me. 

joondalupjambo

And so it begins.  Media this morning to a JVCGFTP Group, or whatever that one is, member.  Are we now planning for a 4th Jag and if so when will that happen?  Dear me.  Folk not even getting one and now we are now worrying folk over fourth.  Understand Israel went early and now giving them out but let's get over one crisis before we start the hare's running.  It is like the media want to set the agenda's.

Edited by joondalupjambo

Good news but not a full and complete picture.  The fairly limited study shows the quoted reduction in hospitalisations in mostly younger groups.  Hopefully the reduced figures hold up across the full age distribution.  Looks pretty decent just now anyway.  By no means meaning there's negligible difference to the situation pre-omicron because the scale will undoubtedly translate into a peak of hospitalisations.  Great time for the anti-virals to begin though.  These should help enormously.

5 minutes ago, Dennis Denuto said:

TBF you can only compare it to what you know, so you can only use people who actually tested. 

Absolutely, it's just a hunch that's giving me a bit more positivity (pun not intended).

2 minutes ago, Dennis Denuto said:

Are you suggesting that Boris and co have played a blinder while Nicola has what the bed? Are you prepared for that kind of backlash on here?

Wouldn't dream of it. As you say, too soon to say, we won't really know the best approach until after the fact.

If it comes to not much and hospitalisations don't get much above what we've been seeing for Delta between July and now...then in hindsight it would probably look like hysteria and closed doors football probably wasn't necessary.

If it's a mess, then she'll look like the one who got it right.

That's all contingent on England not adding any more restrictions.

If England introduce similar measures imminently, then we'll never know as there is no control nation so to speak.

1 hour ago, Dazo said:

Lbj put you back in your box to be fair but this is just too funny not to quote again. 😂😂😂😂

Unionist are angry because we have a conservative government and a union ? 😂😂😂😂

While the cool cats who want so much change are just chillin. 👍

Anyway Omicron is milder eh, if only the South Africans had told us. 🙄

Yes that posting should be in the top 5 worse postings of the year for this thread , I admit a few of mine might be too 😂 but it was a complete simplification and generalisation of a certain perceived group of people . 

55 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

This thread really has been so chill over the last month. Definitely no meltdowns whenever the SG dares to do something different from the UK Gov.

☺️

That’s cause what ever the SG does affects us . Hence the complaints . What’s not to understand ? 

41 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Really good news that proper UK scientists and experts look to now be confirming what those amateurs in SA said...

Hopefully will mean no additional restrictions to come now from the UK government, and fair play to them if so for not over egging the pudding in panic. 

Yes just like Boris played a blinder / took a risk with opening up sans masks etc in July while Elsie stll had us muzzled / other restrictions . With no real discernible differences to deaths / hospitals / ICU I may add 

13 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Fingers crossed anyway.

And in January there was no vaccines . Jus completely different story 

3 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

And so it begins.  Media this morning to a JVCGFTP Group, or whatever that one is, member.  Are we now planning for a 4th Jag and if so when will that happen?  Dear me.  Folk not even getting one and now we are now worrying folk over fourth.  Understand Israel went early and now giving them out but let's get over one crisis before we start the hare's running.  It is like the media want to set the agenda's.

A further and probably much less urgent 2nd booster is completely sensible for at least the elderly and susceptible.  It's a matter of keeping antibody levels high to insure against a long tail off the back of the wave.  Other elements of the immune system are harder to evaluate.  T cells for attacking virus and B cells for producing antibodies.  These studies will take quite a bit of time.

10 minutes ago, Dennis Denuto said:

So what oh he’s suggesting that ? Isn’t he allowed his view or shouldn’t he say that due to the “ backlash “ ie the Elsie fanatics 

2 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

😂😂😂😂

You think? Just seems a simple projection of emotion to me; thread is littered with it. Similar to toddlers getting angry about not getting their way and lashing out. 

Why would a unionist be angry? When their preferred system of governance were approved and despite a lot of noise no prospect of it changing. Seems they would be quite happy. People who didn’t get their way are infinitely more likely to be angry. 

Your post doesn’t really stand up to a logic test does it. 

It’s a bit like a few posters who keep telling others they are angry whilst constantly  posting about being involved in ‘vendetta’s’ ‘wars’ and ‘tears and snorers’. It’s posters mistakenly thinking others act like them. No sane person will view a message board as something to get angry at. Its not important enough to get angry over in real terms. 

It undoubtably gives comfort to some, projecting some emotion to justify why someone does think like them. the truth people, in the main believe they are doing is best, just ways different views of how to achieve it. Its not some fabricated psychological failure. 

Alas, it does seem a lot of people fail to grasp that people can just have a different opinion from them. It’s not that big a deal, unless your ego is really that fragile🤷🏻‍♂️

It’s hard to take posters seriously who make stuff up constantly. Even harder to take people seriously who view every aspect of life via a yes/no perspective 

Anyway back to COVID, as it would benefit this thread massively if it was more on topic. Good news is beginning to come through on data. Whilst, it won’t be painless, it the grande scheme it does seem omicron will be a bump in the road as opposed to a detour that would seem good news 

410208B3-E277-4F61-B08F-948CF78B6120.gif

3 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

That’s cause what ever the SG does affects us . Hence the complaints . What’s not to understand ? 

Dazo and Lord BJ were suggesting that unionists had nothing to be upset about since they still had the union and a Tory government.

Thanks for backing me up to show this is not the case.

borat-high-five.gif

Edited by Ray Gin

9 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

It’s beginning to seem It was more of a ruse to get more people shitting themselves to get vaccinated or boosted . I did say that several weeks ago but was booted into touch by the resident viral experts . It’s so transparent . It has certainly worked though . Record levels getting boosted etc . Shame about the collateral damage for businesses , peoples plans in ruins and their mental and physical health 

17 minutes ago, Dennis Denuto said:

However if it turns out to be the right thing Westminster deserve credit for it. Time will tell what is/was the right course of action

3 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Dazo and Lord BJ were suggesting that unionists had nothing to be upset about since they still had the union and a Tory government.

Thanks for backing me up to show this is not the case.

borat-high-five.gif

I’ve always been more critical of Scotland regarding health issue az it’s devolved . They have the control there so it impacts on me more that anything Boris does so naturally I’m going to be critical of her and her Govt . Boris is still our leader and Prime minster of the United Kingdom and she is the leader of a devolved assembly . Quite different really in status and responsibility and international standing but not surprisingly similar in salary despite her so called salary cut . 

Just now, milky_26 said:

However if it turns out to be the right thing Westminster deserve credit for it. Time will tell what is/was the right course of action

They are holding fire 🔥 like they did before no like wee feartie mouse Elsie. That’s mo way to live life really 

Just now, JamesM48 said:

I’ve always been more critical of Scotland regarding health issue az it’s devolved . They have the control there so it impacts on me more that anything Boris does so naturally I’m going to be critical of her and her Govt . Boris is still our leader and Prime minster of the United Kingdom and she is the leader of a devolved assembly . Quite different really in status and responsibility and international standing but not surprisingly similar in salary despite her so called salary cut . 

Quite different in status and responsibility but both complete and utter clowns!

joondalupjambo
12 minutes ago, Victorian said:

A further and probably much less urgent 2nd booster is completely sensible for at least the elderly and susceptible.  It's a matter of keeping antibody levels high to insure against a long tail off the back of the wave.  Other elements of the immune system are harder to evaluate.  T cells for attacking virus and B cells for producing antibodies.  These studies will take quite a bit of time.

Yep good points.  But the media did not go into that level of detail so it came across as a fourth Jag for the masses.  As I said creates more uncertainty and worry especially for some people who are already scared.  

4 minutes ago, indianajones said:

Quite different in status and responsibility but both complete and utter clowns!

Agree completely and toss in that try insipid Welsh daffodils 🌼 drearyford into the mix . He makes Patrick harvie appear almost alert churchillian 

Brighton Jambo

So now Scotland is closing nightclubs for three weeks.

It’s a daily drip of ever increasingly restrictions despite no data to justify it.  

what happened to vaccine passports? Weren’t they supposed to keep them open?

This is purely political, a chance to engineer more grievance with WM about furlough and be seen to be following Wales and NI in being more ‘cautious’ than WM and Boris.

A absolutely mind boggling decision from a leader increasingly out of touch with reality.  

14 minutes ago, indianajones said:

Probably the best post on the thread imo.

Criticise or praise one though and someone will along to tell you the other one is worse/better. 

It's possible to dislike them both but also recognise they've got some bits right.

3 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

Yep good points.  But the media did not go into that level of detail so it came across as a fourth Jag for the masses.  As I said creates more uncertainty and worry especially for some people who are already scared.  

I know what you mean.  Being vaccinated should be something that gives people reassurance.  You're right that talk of further jabs so soon may well leave people thinking that the vaccinations are only giving very short term protection and they'll be getting them every few months,  etc.  

Let's hope all the suggested advances come to fruition.  Polyvalent vaccines,  longer term protection vaccines,  pill and mist form vaccines and the likes.  Pill form seems thd holy grail because of the ease of distribution.  

5 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

It’s a daily drip of ever increasingly restrictions despite no data to justify it.  

This is purely political, a chance to engineer more grievance with WM about furlough and be seen to be following Wales and NI in being more ‘cautious’ than WM and Boris.

A absolutely mind boggling decision from a leader increasingly out of touch with reality.  

Jesus . She is start raving mad . Another nail in businesses . Shameful . It’s playing havoc with peoples lives for political purposes . 

Edited by JamesM48

Brighton Jambo
2 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Criticise or praise one though and someone will along to tell you the other one is worse/better. 

It's possible to dislike them both but also recognise they've got some bits right.

This is where I am too.  I can’t stand either of them but can recognise that both have done things right during Covid.  

Both are now undoubtedly a busted flush as a result of Covid.  People will be utterly sick of the site of all of them and will be hungry for a fresh start post Covid.  

4 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Just now, Brighton Jambo said:

This is where I am too.  I can’t stand either of them but can recognise that both have done things right during Covid.  

Both are now undoubtedly a busted flush as a result of Covid.  People will be utterly sick of the site of all of them and will be hungry for a fresh start post Covid.  

Nicola started off well where as Boris was having a mare (covid related). 

I feel and suspect others feel that they have now changed positions. 

Anyway - both are finished as leaders. Good riddance when the time comes imo! 

7 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Like many posters your conflating issues between independence and govts handling of COVID. They are very different issues. Not many people apart from fanatics view things through the yes/no lens tbh.  

Thanks for reinforcing my point though👍

Well Said 👍

5 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

It's an interesting reaction to seemingly good news.

I'd expected something along the lines of "upon hearing the positive studies on Omicron we are confident that our existing measures remain necessary whilst additional data is gathered but are now hopeful that not only will these end when previously stated but that we may be able to begin reducing them even sooner."

More restrictions is just odd imo.

Agree about the vaccine passports, maybe some will now see them for what they are...control tools. They've not kept anything they were supposed to open.

2 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Like many posters your conflating issues between independence and govts handling of COVID. They are very different issues. Not many people apart from fanatics view things through the yes/no lens tbh.  

Thanks for reinforcing my point though👍

Not at all. I merely pointed out that contrary to your post, unionists do have something to be angry about, given that health matters are devolved.

Just now, indianajones said:

Nicola started off well where as Boris was having a mare (covid related). 

I feel and suspect others feel that they have now changed positions. 

Anyway - both are finished as leaders. Good riddance when the time comes imo! 

Yes I think he is more cavalier , bold and risky handling of covid now than her cautious risk adverse approach . People are now waking up

to reality and willing to take risks . She is unwilling to . She’s finished . So is he but for many other reasons . 

2 minutes ago, Taffin said:

It's an interesting reaction to seemingly good news.

I'd expected something along the lines of "upon hearing the positive studies on Omicron we are confident that our existing measures remain necessary whilst additional data is gathered but are now hopeful that not only will these end when previously stated but that we may be able to begin reducing them even sooner."

More restrictions is just odd imo.

Agree about the vaccine passports, maybe some will now see them for what they are...control tools. They've not kept anything they were supposed to open.

I can’t see anything online about Scottish nightclubs ? 

1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes I think he is more cavalier , bold and risky handling of covid now than her cautious risk adverse approach . People are now waking up

to reality and willing to take risks . She is unwilling to . She’s finished . So is he but for many other reasons . 

Pretty much my exact feelings. 

Wonder what arseholes we will get next? 

4 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes it is, despite the author.

To be fair, i don't share Owen's politics but i respect hiw views from time to time and he at least allows comments on his pieces (if it is his decision, that is)

Whilst I understand the concerns for the NHS, isn't there a danger we prolong this current wave unneccessarily, particularly in light of the recent research?

Problem is, we are stabbing around in the dark. We don't actually know but waiting until we know is then too late. Shit situation.

Edited by jambogaza

4 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

There are actually people who think that Johnson isn't having a covid-related 'mare?  :lol:

After the last month???  :lol: 

'kin 'ell.

What's he got wrong in the last month? Other than not getting involved the pre-emptive pant soiling shoot-out of the devolved nations?

His drama relates to a period of time when most have said he wasn't doing well with it.

Nucky Thompson
1 minute ago, Ray Gin said:

There are actually people who think that Johnson isn't having a covid-related 'mare?  :lol:

'kin 'ell.

Arsehole behaviour regarding rule breaking aside, his more level headed approach to restrictions is probably appealing to a lot of people.

People aren't scared of the virus like they were in March 2020 and 'Nicola' keeping us safe is wearing thin 

1 minute ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Arsehole behaviour regarding rule breaking aside, his more level headed approach to restrictions is probably appealing to a lot of people.

People aren't scared of the virus like they were in March 2020 and 'Nicola' keeping us safe is wearing thin 

The restrictions he needed the opposition parties to back as his own party rebelled against him?

He's playing a blinder right enough.

Usual blind froth.

These kinds of measures are always to introduce a level of suppression in order to contribute to the overall situation.  Nobody ever says or thinks that introducing measures is some kind of complete solution.  

It's 3 weeks ffs.  Nightclubs are easily profiled and limited in number.  The financial support is there.  They even have the option of converting to a table service bar if they choose to do so.

9 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Everyone has a right to be disappointed over the health performance and the handling of the pandemic. Not sure why thats unique to unionists or why they would be angry about it🤷🏻‍♂️ I would have thought a unionist primary concern would be the union., whilst they have whilst nationalist is independence which they don’t have.  Though I’ll blow to your superior psychic ability to know who angry by, you telling them they are😂

Best to agree to disagree I suspect. The constant yes/no pish on this thread is tedious as for the vast majority of non fanatics. My comments were genuinely in attempt to raise the quality of debate here. 👍

Anyway quick question downloading games for the boys Christmas. Is it worth getting the ultimate addition of latest COD or am I being suckered by my boy. Also any quest two recomendations appreciated👍

The language people use is usually a sign of how irate they are. 

Not a clue on COD, not played a COD game in years.

If you're after a COD-like game on Quest 2, Contractors is decent. I'd expect an Oculus store sale tomorrow so worth keeping an eye on the app. Res Evil 4 is top of my wishlist but doubt that will be discounted since it just came out recently.

I've mostly been using in for PCVR recently, but Golf+ (formerly Top Golf, changed name after adding full-size courses) and Walkabout Mini Golf are my favourite on-set games. I'm sure the latter will still be enjoyed by non golf fans.

Edited by Ray Gin

Nucky Thompson
5 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

The restrictions he needed the opposition parties to back as his own party rebelled against him?

He's playing a blinder right enough.

Yup and they might not have even been needed.

19 minutes ago, indianajones said:

Pretty much my exact feelings. 

Wonder what arseholes we will get next? 

Surely no one as hopeless as those two ? 

17 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Starting to flow through now on the BBC feed.

Ok 

16 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

'kin 'ell.

No we are talking about his approach / restrictions etc . Not other issues regarding it. 

14 minutes ago, Taffin said:

What's he got wrong in the last month? Other than not getting involved the pre-emptive pant soiling shoot-out of the devolved nations?

His drama relates to a period of time when most have said he wasn't doing well with it.

12 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Well said guys 

10 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Usual blind froth.

These kinds of measures are always to introduce a level of suppression in order to contribute to the overall situation.  Nobody ever says or thinks that introducing measures is some kind of complete solution.  

It's 3 weeks ffs.  Nightclubs are easily profiled and limited in number.  The financial support is there.  They even have the option of converting to a table service bar if they choose to do so.

They were effectively closed on Tuesday with the first announcement. This just formalised it.

5 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Usual blind froth.

“ it’s 3 weeks ffs” usual cold harsh comment from you . Those 3 weeks May be vital to stop some businesses from going bust, particularly the revenue from Xmas and new year times . Heartless 

On 21/12/2021 at 17:02, Enzo Chiefo said:

Scott Morrison of Australia? Says we can't keep imposing the "heavy hand of the state" in response to Covid. People should be "free to live their lives and make their own risk assessments"

Interesting coming from the head of a country that had some of the tightest restrictions in place...

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )