Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Seymour M Hersh
43 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I read online earlier that a leaked report on early data from the UK will confirm that omicron is causing milder disease.

The report will be published in the next couple of days.

It was from the Express, but it seems to have disappeared when I went back to copy and paste

Makes you wonder why it had to be leaked and not shouted from the rooftops by the Gov. 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

InternationalJambo
12 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes this has always been an issue and so difficult to find out the real data related to this. .  That's not a surprise. Just like its almost impossible to find out ages of those who died and whether or not they had " underlying health conditions" . However the media and Govt are happy to publicise cases of 30 years old Janet who died and she had " no underlying health conditions and ran a marathon every day" 

It’s almost as if they are pushing an agenda, isn’t it?..

InternationalJambo
1 minute ago, Victorian said:

What a state to get in.  Goners everywhere.

Don’t think people are ‘goners’ for questioning what the hell is going on. People are fed up, they have been taken for mugs for 2 years now. 

Maximum of 6 people allowed to he in a group in pubs, cinemas etc in Wales. Max 50 at outdoor events and 30 indoors along with other social distancing rules

Lord Montpelier
4 minutes ago, InternationalJambo said:

Don’t think people are ‘goners’ for questioning what the hell is going on. People are fed up, they have been taken for mugs for 2 years now. 

The mugs are the ones who are not questioning this now and take the new 'rules' on face value 

Malinga the Swinga
21 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

My daughter is waiting on PCR result from yesterday a LFT was positive this morning,  says she feels fine, but I'm her dad and I'm worried sick :(

It's what parents do though, you can't help it.

Hopefully she'll sail through it.

2 hours ago, Savage Vince said:

I just about choked on my cornflakes reading this. 

From you of all people. 

If you really are disgusted, and I doubt even you could disgust yourself, then ****ing diddums, you narcissistic shambles. 

:laugh:

1 hour ago, i8hibsh said:

Another action-packed day ahead for the covid cheerleaders...All I have now is just pure hatred for all those cheerleaders and the reptiles who are enforcing all this madness.  Shame on every last one of you.  I only hope that karma will strike – the blood and misery is not on the hands of covid, it is on the hands of you all!

Just who are these mythical covid cheerleaders? It seems, in your impotent rage and frustration, you lot keep inventing some strawman to vent your anger on. We get it - we are ALL tired and frustrated by the ongoing pandemic. But your OTT reaction, my word - it wouldn't be unfair to suggest that it's your own hyperbolic, extreme reaction to what are a few minor restrictions, is what's doing the damage to you and not the restrictions themselves. You literally seem to exist in a pent-up state just waiting to rage at the next "thing" that comes along. Is this just a right-wing state of mind or are you letting the media you consume keep you in a heightened state?

Whatever it is, you really need to look inside yourself and resolve this deep-seated frustration, it cannot be healthy.  

1 hour ago, manaliveits105 said:

At least the Scottish Government sneaked through a couple of grand pay increase for themselves yesterday to help 

Since you are making an actual point, I won't disagree with you. What was about the first thing the new Scottish parliament voted on? Oh yeah, wage rises and holidays. Ultimately, almost all modern politicians are the same career-climbing grubbers, all in it for the money. 

Edited by Gizmo

InternationalJambo
1 minute ago, Lord Montpelier said:

The mugs are the ones who are not questioning this now and take the new 'rules' on face value 

👍

1 minute ago, Lord Montpelier said:

Yet you're the one in a puddle of drool while people like me are quite relaxed.  I'll happily be termed the mug in that scenario.

Yours,

Mug.

Malinga the Swinga
1 minute ago, milky_26 said:

Maximum of 6 people allowed to he in a group in pubs, cinemas etc in Wales. Max 50 at outdoor events and 30 indoors along with other social distancing rules

Drakeford opened with closed doors at sports, Sturgeon countered with 500 at events but pressuring to close down completely. Advantage NS 

Now Drakeford plays big cards with fines for going to work and more restrictions.

Over to you NS. 

The game is on

Just now, Lord Montpelier said:

I'm not sure they're mugs. I think there's just two fundamentally different mindsets people have.

Those who think life is for living and currently place Covid and it's implications as an acceptable risk to accept to enable that to happen uninhibited.

The there's those who don't think it's an acceptable risk and there needs to be mitigations.

They're polarised opinions and it's very hard to see it from the other person's viewpoint 

Neither wide are mugs, they just place value on different things. All just imo.

Once again.

If a far lower percentage of people need hospitalisation than with Delta - good, and it looks like that may be the case

But, if far more people get it (and it is much more transmissible) then even though a lower percentage will require hospitalisation - that’s still a lot of people in hospital.

We don’t know, they don’t know but I reckon the idea of hospitals being overwhelmed and people dying in hospital car parks is what is motivating this and every other government.

And yes, it’s horrible for people waiting for other treatments but I’m stumped as to why reducing restrictions and ending up with even more people in hospital would improve things - unless some people think non-Covid patients should be prioritised?

Edited by FWJ

Malinga the Swinga
3 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

Just who are these mythical covid cheerleaders? It seems, in your impotent rage and frustration, you lot keep inventing some strawman to vent your anger on. We get it - we are ALL tired and frustrated by the ongoing pandemic. But your OTT reaction, my word - it wouldn't be unfair to suggest that it's your own hyperbolic, extreme reaction to what are a few minor restrictions, is what's doing the damage to you and not the restrictions themselves. You literally seem to exist in a pent-up state just waiting to rage at the next "thing" that comes along. Is this just a right-wing state of mind or are you letting the media you consume keep you in a heightened state?

Whatever it is, you really need to look inside yourself and resolve this deep-seated frustration, it cannot be healthy.  

Since you are making an actual point, I won't disagree with you. What was about the first thing the new Scottish parliament voted on? Oh yeah, wage rises and holidays. Ultimately, almost all modern politicians are the same career-climbing grubbers, all in it for the money. 

A nice 3.5% rise securing wages over £65k as basic. Add allowances for expenses, employing wife's and kids in roles and your doing okay. Get yourself a wee promotion to ministerial level and that another bonus.

My, they're doing well for themselves.

As for holidays, dates in recess are

24th Dec - Jan 9th

12th Feb - 20th Feb

2nd Apr - 17th Apr

2nd Jul - 4th Sept

8th - 23rd October

24th Dec - 8th Jan.

My word, they're not exactly industrious. Now I know they're supposed to be back in constituency working, but they don't have to, none checks on them. This is when most will work on their second jobs, cause they need to top up pay.  

Westminster is same. Recess for 110 days. 

It's absolutely ridiculous.

Nucky Thompson
4 minutes ago, FWJ said:

Once again.

If far fewer people need hospitalisation than with Delta - good, and it looks like that may be the case

But, if far more people get it (and it is much more transmissible) then even though a lower percentage will require hospitalisation - that’s still a lot of people in hospital.

We don’t know, they don’t know but I reckon the idea of hospitals being overwhelmed and people dying in hospital car parks is what is motivating this and every other government.

And yes, it’s horrible for people waiting for other treatments but I’m stumped as to why reducing restrictions and ending up with even more people in hospital would improve things - unless some people think non-Covid patients should be prioritised?

How do you know that a lot more people getting it will undoubtedly lead to more hospitalisations?

What if the vast majority don't need any hospital care whatsoever?

Malinga the Swinga
8 minutes ago, FWJ said:

Once again.

If far fewer people need hospitalisation than with Delta - good, and it looks like that may be the case

I'm fortunate I don't have pre existing condition that requires surgery. 

What I will say is if I did, and I was vaccinated, I wouldn't be happy seeing Covid cases, especially where person has chosen to refuse a vaccine, getting priority over me.

If I was unvaccinated because of a medical condition and that condition could be improved in by surgery or i require surgery to improve my quality of life, I would be unhappy Covid sufferers are given priority over me.

I believe it is fundamentally unfair to prioritise covid over other severe illness or disease.

2 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

Another action-packed day ahead for the covid cheerleaders.  Fanatically, and in awe of the TV screen infront of them, desperately waiting for the next command and chain link to their shackles.

Meanwhile, healthy people up and down the country are having their livelihoods, freedoms and lives stolen from them.

I wonder how many decent people will make that horrendous and final decision today to end their life?  I wonder how many children will go another day of being deprived the type of childhood that came to those before.  I wonder how many more healthy people will occupy hospitals and doctors surgeries ahead of those in desperate need?

I also wonder how much more people’s state of mind will deteriorate today and how many more people will fall deeper and more reliant on substances and alcohol to get them through.

All I have now is just pure hatred for all those cheerleaders and the reptiles who are enforcing all this madness.  Shame on every last one of you.  I only hope that karma will strike – the blood and misery is not on the hands of covid, it is on the hands of you all!

Almost every reason these reptiles have chosen to put the shutters down on our lives is out-trumped 100 fold by the misery their actions are causing.

😂😂😂😂You need help 

1 minute ago, Nucky Thompson said:

How do you know that a lot more people getting it will undoubtedly lead to more hospitalisations?

Disease X  1000 people get it, 1% need hospitalisation = 10 people in hospital.

Disease X(a)  10,000 get it, 0.1% need hospitalisation = 10 people in hospital.

But as I said in the third paragraph - we, and I suspect ‘they’don’t know but they’re terrified of what might happen.  
Damned if you do damned if you don’t.

4 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

I'm fortunate I don't have pre existing condition that requires surgery. 

What I will say is if I did, and I was vaccinated, I wouldn't be happy seeing Covid cases, especially where person has chosen to refuse a vaccine, getting priority over me.

If I was unvaccinated because of a medical condition and that condition could be improved in by surgery or i require surgery to improve my quality of life, I would be unhappy Covid sufferers are given priority over me.

I believe it is fundamentally unfair to prioritise covid over other severe illness or disease.

Well, hopefully hospitals will be able to cope and priority can be made on clinical need.

Omicron
= Fewer deaths from those infected. This is a good thing.
= Far more infectious. This is a bad thing.
= Resistant to the vaccinations. This is a bad thing.

= Many infected people still end up in hospital. This is a bad thing.

10 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

That's a fair point, there's an upper limit of those who'd be hospitalised by it for a variety of reasons.

We don't and can't really know where that cap is though. Could be thousands, could be tens or hundreds of thousands. It's also obscurer by asymptomatic infection as there will be loads of infected people who've never tested positive.

The Mighty Thor
40 minutes ago, Victorian said:

What a state to get in.  Goners everywhere.

28 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Yet you're the one in a puddle of drool while people like me are quite relaxed.  I'll happily be termed the mug in that scenario.

Yours,

Mug.

Day 2 of the boys working each other up into an absolute froth over things they can do FA about.

Where's the tsunami and tidal waves?

There's a tidal wave of tears and a tsunami of snotters on here.

2 minutes ago, Taffin said:

That's a fair point, there's an upper limit of those who'd be hospitalised by it for a variety of reasons.

We don't and can't really know where that cap is though. Could be thousands, could be tens or hundreds of thousands. It's also obscurer by asymptomatic infection as there will be loads of infected people who've never tested positive.

I don’t think it’ll be hundreds of thousands and I hope it isn’t - because the vast majority of them won’t be hospitalised…..

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Day 2 of the boys working each other up into an absolute froth over things they can do FA about.

:rofl:

34 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

Just for a bit of balance they agreed a pay freeze last year plus

Scottish Government ministers have voluntarily followed a pay freeze since 2008/09

Dennis Denuto
1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

Im more pissed off that she has basically fecked up businesses in the last month or so and they have lost a lot of revenue. Yes im also  pissed off regarding the football as it makes zero sense to cancel it but that's how she rolls. Picks the easy targets. Seen to be doing something. Anything in fact. Even when it makes zero sense. 

Some sensible restrictions are now required though, business is going to be effected whether you like it or not, if Scotland was able to borrow money like any normal country then we would have been able to support business.

Shutting down football is a complete waste of time and will have a very small effect on the numbers IMO.

Dennis Denuto
1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes this has always been an issue and so difficult to find out the real data related to this. .  That's not a surprise. Just like its almost impossible to find out ages of those who died and whether or not they had " underlying health conditions" . However the media and Govt are happy to publicise cases of 30 years old Janet who died and she had " no underlying health conditions and ran a marathon every day" 

It really is not hard to find any of that information that you are looking for, even Travelling Tabby has it for you all nicely laid out for Scotland and the UK

Konrad von Carstein
44 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

It's what parents do though, you can't help it.

Hopefully she'll sail through it.

Thanks 👍

Just read in The Times that workers in Wales can be fined if they go to work unnecessarily but they can all still go to the pub :lol: farcical if true.

2 minutes ago, King prawn said:

Just read in The Times that workers in Wales can be fined if they go to work unnecessarily but they can all still go to the pub :lol: farcical if true.

It is true. Just take your laptop to the pub 😂

Dennis Denuto

England and Wales are making some changes to the Self Isolation rules, reduced to 7 days in England for +ve test people if they test -ve and Wales allowing Vaccinated close contacts to be free from isolation with testing. 

Hope Nicola is watching

Ex member of the SaS
33 minutes ago, Dennis Denuto said:

It really is not hard to find any of that information that you are looking for, even Travelling Tabby has it for you all nicely laid out for Scotland and the UK

Your page TT is a joke. They claim anyone from age 60 and above as 100% vaccinated ( vaccinations by age group ) I know for a fact there are loads above 60yo that are not jabbed.

1 hour ago, Taffin said:

Aren't vaccines disrupting god's work of sending plagues?

God works in mysterious ways just like Elsie 

1 hour ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

This is something I can't get my head around, What benefit do the BBC and other media outlets get from reporting fake news? Why are they all being used as government propaganda machines?

During the war the BBC was hailed as being the most honest reporting source yet here they are every night feeding fake figures to the public knowing it is generating fear.

The media have been disgusting all the way through this pandemic. 

1 hour ago, Smithee said:

No, they're not, governments have to be concerned with worse case scenarios.

Honestly, the nick of some of you, you're getting hysterical.

And this is how it happens, a handful of drama queens make so much noise they convince themselves that they're the majority. Remember when you lot loudly weren't getting the vaccine and neither was anyone you know?

You'll ruin your own Christmas

Bollocks. My Xmas plans will not be changed. Neither will any of my family and others. We have a big doo and the SG can ram it up their jacksy regarding any restrictions or " guidelines" Most people are doing the same too. In regards to the vaccine i quite rightly questioned its efficacy and weighed up the risks and decided eventually to get it. We shall see in a couple of years whether i grow another arm or leg. 

1 hour ago, InternationalJambo said:

Its the usual rhetoric and language from some on this . If you don't question any restrictions and ponder why your seen a nutter. Pathetic really. 

1 hour ago, Lord Montpelier said:

True

1 hour ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Drakeford opened with closed doors at sports, Sturgeon countered with 500 at events but pressuring to close down completely. Advantage NS 

Now Drakeford plays big cards with fines for going to work and more restrictions.

Over to you NS. 

The game is on

Oh mark my words,  Pardon the pun .  The  wee snot will have one last Xmas present before Xmas day . Just to remind us who's the boss.  One last emergency briefing . I wouldn't be surprised if she had an Xmas day broadcast. Her narcissism knows no bounds. 

38 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Haha , you and the others were practically creaming yourself regarding Elsie and her tsunami comments. Practically salivating at the thought. And still are.  

4 hours ago, Dazo said:

Twice if you go to Aldi. 😂

I was only making the point you don’t need to earn the £250k quoted to pay thousands more in tax. Regardless and without getting into an earnings debate £70k isn’t that much to live in Edinburgh. 

Agreed. The biggest impact is the bandings - paying the higher rate of tax on a much lower salary in Scotland than in England. 

Even someone earning a 50k salary in Scotland is about 1500 a year worse off, and I'd argue that 50k doesn't mean you're well off, particularly if you've got a mortgage to pay for an Edinburgh property! 

Now that the kids are away from home, it's a no brainer to move 60 miles down the road and benefit from the lower taxes living in England brings.... 

Dennis Denuto
15 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Your page TT is a joke. They claim anyone from age 60 and above as 100% vaccinated ( vaccinations by age group ) I know for a fact there are loads above 60yo that are not jabbed.

It uses the PHS data, it is just a handy place to display the information. If you had bothered to read any further on the site you would see

Total Coverage

This chart shows the total number of people in each age group who have had their first, second, and third/booster dose of the vaccine. You can select an age group to see more specific figures for it. 

The coverage figures are calculated using the NRS mid-2020 population estimates. As these estimates aren't completely accurate, and vaccine uptake has been so high, it has resulted in the coverage figures for some age groups going beyond 100%. The true figure for these age groups is likely somewhere in the high 90s. 

It is worth noting that most people in the 12-17 age range are not currently allowed to get a second dose.

Elsie doing a “ media free “ walkabout . Apart from her official photographer being there . Thought we were meant limiting as much contacts as possible 

1 minute ago, Dennis Denuto said:

It uses the PHS data, it is just a handy place to display the information. If you had bothered to read any further on the site you would see

Total Coverage

This chart shows the total number of people in each age group who have had their first, second, and third/booster dose of the vaccine. You can select an age group to see more specific figures for it. 

The coverage figures are calculated using the NRS mid-2020 population estimates. As these estimates aren't completely accurate, and vaccine uptake has been so high, it has resulted in the coverage figures for some age groups going beyond 100%. The true figure for these age groups is likely somewhere in the high 90s. 

It is worth noting that most people in the 12-17 age range are not currently allowed to get a second dose.

I was intrigued and look at that explanation too Dennis but what I found odd is there is c.90k less people double vaccinated in the 60-69 age group than single dose yet they're both down as 100%.

Any idea what causes that? I thought maybe due to the population of that demographic decreasing due to dieing or aging out of it but the 'target' figure appears to be static from 2020.

They can't both be 100% and it's a significant enough variation not to be accounted for by rounding surely.

6 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Elsie doing a “ media free “ walkabout . Apart from her official photographer being there . Thought we were meant limiting as much contacts as possible 

#humblebrag

You're right though, when being told we should work from home where we can, should someone really be going to someone else's workplace when by their own admission they probably weren't much help anyway.

Edited by Taffin

Nucky Thompson

2,434 new cases in Scotland out of 52,002 tests done.

PHS are aware that today's positive cases are lower than expected and are investigating 

Dennis Reynolds
34 minutes ago, Dennis Denuto said:

England and Wales are making some changes to the Self Isolation rules, reduced to 7 days in England for +ve test people if they test -ve and Wales allowing Vaccinated close contacts to be free from isolation with testing. 

Hope Nicola is watching

Yep hopefully. 

9 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I was intrigued and look at that explanation too Dennis but what I found odd is there is c.90k less people double vaccinated in the 60-69 age group than single dose yet they're both down as 100%.

Any idea what causes that? I thought maybe due to the population of that demographic decreasing due to dieing or aging out of it but the 'target' figure appears to be static from 2020.

They can't both be 100% and it's a significant enough variation not to be accounted for by rounding surely.

Maybe answering my own question here.

Could be both figures have exceeded 100% and as such they've rounded them both down to 100% from a logic perspective.

8 minutes ago, Taffin said:

#humblebrag

You're right though, when being told we should work from home where we can, should someone really be going to someone else's workplace when by their own admission they probably weren't much help anyway.

Well she got one thing right . She’s not much help . 

5 hours ago, theshed said:

Good post 

Been saying for ages the people who are happy with all this shit are the ones it doesn’t affect in the slightest 

Sure it doesn't. I can cope tho, as am no a blouse.

5 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Good news from Brian May and apparently he can do the fandango now 

There was an excellent documentary about Freddie Mercury on bbc2 the other week . It may be on iPlayer ? However May seems a really nice guy . He seemed very supportive and Caring towards Freddie at the end of his life . Great guy really . Pity about the Barnet though 😂

Dennis Denuto
8 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Funny I just noticed that too, I have no idea why it would be, there are data holes in the starting data.

People have been vaccinated in different countries as well so its a bit all over the place.Its not a part of the site i've really looked at before

And I see you have probably answered it above too

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )