Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Geoff Kilpatrick
2 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Scott Morrison of Australia? Says we can't keep imposing the "heavy hand of the state" in response to Covid. People should be "free to live their lives and make their own risk assessments"

Which is easy to say yet one third of the country is living in a gilded cage with closed borders (WA).

There's an article last night claiming that Australia could see 200K cases per day in January. Bring it on I say. We'll be done with it in 4-6 months. My wife was telling me last night that their infectious diseases expert at the hospital, who is working with the state health department here, says the current evidence from the UK that is being shared is that 1 in 1,000 cases is going to hospital (not ICU). ICU isn't clear yet. If our hospitals across the country can't cope with 2,000 cases needing a bit of hi-flow oxygen then we may as well give up.

The VIC government have said the Boxing Day Test is going ahead as is. I'll be there even though it isn't a contest. This is life. Live with the risk and move on.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, The Real Maroonblood said:

Absolutely.

They're plenty that will lap up 'Boris Saved Christmas' too, none more so than Clownshoes himself. 

18 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

And you quoted a post from me where I was commenting on something that you didn't want me to criticise her for, to demand that I criticise her?

18 minutes ago, FWJ said:

Only an hour previously you posted this:

Biden has told the unvaccinated in America to expect death this winter, should cheer a few up on here if they were to die.

Yes I did. 10/10

Malinga the Swinga
6 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Well,  when your default position towards Sturgeon is rabid bitterness,  you're not likely to view anything she does as anything other than negative or for her own gain.  Your appaprent incredulity is not unexpected.

No, I thought at the start, she was okay, working well with others.

Then she saw the chance to politicise situation and she hasn't missed an opportunity since.

Difference is I think the same of the rest of the politicians involved. I have no favourites.

You on the other hand, in full sycophantic mode, describe NS as pure in decision making and courageously decisive. The politician you describe doesn't exist, but you know that.

You try to dress up your posts by using fancy language, hoping to impress your little fan club but every now and then the mask slips and you reveal the smug superior attitude you post with. It's always, there, just beneath the surface, you can't help yourself.

31 minutes ago, Victorian said:

They're making the public health calls on their own merits and,  more crucially,  in the full knowledge that these decisions are a real risk to their political capital.  Without asking anyone to agree or disagree with the decisions,  you can't get decision making any more free of other influences.  Purity of decision and decisive courage.

i disagree with this for the following reasons

NS said she is not making a politica point then makes one. it is sort of like someone saying im not racist but, then saying something racist. it is a tactic to shift blame for what she is about to do and a lot of her party members/followers will not question it.

it is the same reason NS blames westminster for not giving her money every time she demands it. and again her party members cheer that without question

both of the above is why there is almost no risk to her political capital. IMO

1 minute ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

No, I thought at the start, she was okay, working well with others.

Then she saw the chance to politicise situation and she hasn't missed an opportunity since.

Difference is I think the same of the rest of the politicians involved. I have no favourites.

You on the other hand, in full sycophantic mode, describe NS as pure in decision making and courageously decisive. The politician you describe doesn't exist, but you know that.

You try to dress up your posts by using fancy language, hoping to impress your little fan club but every now and then the mask slips and you reveal the smug superior attitude you post with. It's always, there, just beneath the surface, you can't help yourself.

Behave yourself.  You're trying to start an argument with no provocation or purpose.  Needless personal comments are set aside.  Not interested in it mate.

Malinga the Swinga
3 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Says it all really 

Pretty obvious that is wasn't Scottish government fault, because, let's be honest, nothing ever is. The blame lies with Westminster and Thatcher. 

1 minute ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

. If our hospitals across the country can't cope with 2,000 cases needing a bit of hi-flow oxygen then we may as well give up.

Here we go again with this trite & wearisome point of view.

When you fill up the ICU wards because of this kind  attitude you are taking a huge number of nursing resources away from their usual nursing roles because each ICU patient needs 24/7 care with a large  team of nurses. We are not talking 1:1 care here. 

On top of that, the usual elective surgeries cannot be offered to some patients because THEYthemselves may need ICU care and can't get it because ICU is full of Covid patients therefore surgeons are refusing these patients the care they need. 

3 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

i disagree with this for the following reasons

NS said she is not making a politica point then makes one. it is sort of like someone saying im not racist but, then saying something racist. it is a tactic to shift blame for what she is about to do and a lot of her party members/followers will not question it.

it is the same reason NS blames westminster for not giving her money every time she demands it. and again her party members cheer that without question

both of the above is why there is almost no risk to her political capital. IMO

The inherently unpopular restrictions is the important point.  By far.  Peripheral comments about Westminster is standard fayre.  These restriction fly in the face of trying to make political capital.

That's my opinion.

Pretty obvious that is wasn't Scottish government fault, because, let's be honest, nothing ever is. The blame lies with Westminster and Thatcher. 

Or maybe you could acknowledge that he says he is part of a team and is presumably in the minority in the final decsion making ? But no, let's have another knee jerk whine about it. 

Geoff Kilpatrick
Just now, NANOJAMBO said:

When you fill up the ICU wards because of this kind  attitude you are taking a huge number of nursing resources away from their usual nursing roles because each ICU patient needs 24/7 care with a large  team of nurses. We are not talking 1:1 care here. 

On top of that, the usual elective surgeries cannot be offered to some patients because THEYthemselves may need ICU care and can't get it because ICU is full of Covid patients therefore surgeons are refusing these patients the care they need. 

I'm talking about Australia and talking from hearing from those working in Covid wards. The stay of those who get admitted who are vaccinated is, with a few exceptions, relatively short. Different for those choosing to be unvaxxed.

And note, I said HOSPITAL, NOT ICU. Read more carefully.

3 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

So how many are currently in IC with omicron? 

2 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

image-23-10-21-07-01-5.jpeg

Seymour M Hersh
56 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

From the Beeb

.....  and Sweden announced Tuesday it would expand vaccine certificates, urge people to work from home and limit attendees at private parties and in public venues.

Disappointed FF no graphs or scientific buzz words and jargon to throw into the reply? 

With 95% at least double vaccinated in Scotland this makes little sense. The vaccination rate is why no real spike in hospital admissions, those who are admitted are either unvaccinated or have additional health challenges. Point is it's not 2020 and isn't going to be. NS and Swinney are grandstanding for more reasons than public health.

Just now, 1874robbo said:

Did you mention ICU being overwhelmed? 
thought so 😂😂

What's your point - I'm assuming you've got one. 

1 minute ago, JackLadd said:

With 95% at least double vaccinated in Scotland this makes little sense. The vaccination rate is why no real spike in hospital admissions, those who are admitted are either unvaccinated or have additional health challenges. Point is it's not 2020 and isn't going to be. NS and Swinney are grandstanding for more reasons than public health.

Of course they are. 

Geoff Kilpatrick
1 minute ago, JackLadd said:

Indeed. It is almost like T cell defences are being ignored in the modelling, even if antibody levels are lower. Not just a Scottish phenomena.

Just now, NANOJAMBO said:

What's your point - I'm assuming you've got one. 

You mentioned icu about 4 times in your post so I have to assume your finger is on the pulse on what’s happening there so I asked how many cases were currently in there overwhelming it.

28 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Well,  when your default position towards Sturgeon is rabid bitterness,  you're not likely to view anything she does as anything other than negative or for her own gain.  Your appaprent incredulity is not unexpected.

My default position is to hear her point score.

I couldnt give a shiny shit about the point scoring on here.

It is actually shameful her reference to everything Westminster.

And you have to ask whether the SG now see this as political opportunity.

In the real world I can assure you boys I work beside dread the ping or the virus .

Because it causes hardship.

And despite me being twice jagged and bolstered I now wonder at the motives of the SG especially listening to her tripe today.

8 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

I'm talking about Australia and talking from hearing from those working in Covid wards. The stay of those who get admitted who are vaccinated is, with a few exceptions, relatively short. Different for those choosing to be unvaxxed.

And note, I said HOSPITAL, NOT ICU. Read more carefully.

It doesn't change what I said about your attitude.

Read more carefully.

Malinga the Swinga
2 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Or maybe you could acknowledge that he says he is part of a team and is presumably in the minority in the final decsion making ? But no, let's have another knee jerk whine about it. 

Have you read the statement. You can't seriously defend it. It is a pathetic meally mouthed half arsed 'it wisne me, it was the big boy' statement. It is 100% Swinney's style. It wasn't him who ****ed up education in summer of 2020 when he was on charge of that. It's never him, it's always someone else. If he's never responsible, what does he do all day in government?

One things for sure, it is somebody's fault it went ahead. At the end of the meeting, they came to decision. If it wasn't him, then it was someone else. Why doesn't that person come out and actually say it was my decision, or if it was a group, then who in the group decided it was okay?

Just now, 1874robbo said:

You mentioned icu about 4 times in your post so I have to assume your finger is on the pulse on what’s happening there so I asked how many cases were currently in there overwhelming it.

And I asked you what your point is ? 

Why  can't you state it ? 

Have you read the statement. You can't seriously defend it. It is a pathetic meally mouthed half arsed 'it wisne me, it was the big boy' statement. It is 100% Swinney's style. It wasn't him who ****ed up education in summer of 2020 when he was on charge of that. It's never him, it's always someone else. If he's never responsible, what does he do all day in government?

One things for sure, it is somebody's fault it went ahead. At the end of the meeting, they came to decision. If it wasn't him, then it was someone else. Why doesn't that person come out and actually say it was my decision, or if it was a group, then who in the group decided it was okay?

Because it seems the current SG think we are zipped up the back with their grandstanding over Boris in relation to covid.

What a boast that is .

Tinpot

Malinga the Swinga

Your very keen to have a go at Australian poster posting about ICU in Australia. What is the point of your posts.

Geoff Kilpatrick

It doesn't change what I said about your attitude.

Read more carefully.

My attitude? Currently there are about 400 people IN HOSPITAL in VIC with Covid (almost all Delta) and everyone is comfortable with that. It was double that a few months ago.

If it is accepted that Covid is moving to endemic then everyone will come in to contact with it at some point. If hospitals are not in danger of being overwhelmed then why restrict? What is the plan?

10 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

Love  it James :rofl:

😀

5 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

She was very good in Terrahawks cannot take that one away. 😊

😃

4 minutes ago, Savage Vince said:

I'm glad it did go ahead. 😊

Now that is true 

Just now, Malinga the Swinga said:

I read your post - I don't know why because I usually have you blocked but I'll remedy that shortly. 

For some strange reason you've  chosen to make a very large most out of a simple suggestion from me whilst completely ignoring the point I was making.. 

I don't know why you're asking me questions - maybe go find out how the collective decision was made and make your criticism to/about that  instead of just coming on here and maoning about

it ?  But then coming on here and moaning about it is what it's all about for you, as usual. 

3 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

You posted all the IC stuff so really you are just guessing like the rest of us yet come across to people like you know how it all works.

2 minutes ago, 1874robbo said:

You posted all the IC stuff so really you are just guessing like the rest of us yet come across to people like you know how it all works.

I'm not guessing about anything but feel free to quote from my post where I'm guessing. 

44 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Yeah that's not very helpful.  I'll focus on the stuff after the rant.

No I do actually think this call has been made despite a real prospect of political damage.  That's my honest view on it.  These decisions are inherently unpopular with large numbers of people.  There's absolutely no political capital to be gained here.  Only losses.

That's what the rabid unionists/SG haters can never explain. She is making decisions that are pretty universally unpopular and yet they say she's doing it for political reasons????

Seymour M Hersh
37 minutes ago, Taffin said:

The Biden stuff is interesting.

"But it's here now and it's spreading and it's gonna increase. ... We are looking at a winter of severe illness and death for the unvaccinated -- for themselves, their families and the hospitals they'll soon overwhelm."

This from a guy who said you couldn't catch Covid if you're vaccinated. I'd be willing to bet the majority of the unvaccinated do not have a winter of severe illness and death.

Just when Boris and co look like they're too much to handle, Biden pops up to remind us it could be worse.

Let's go Brandon!! :biggrin:

Just now, XB52 said:

That's what the rabid unionists/SG haters can never explain. She is making decisions that are pretty universally unpopular and yet they say she's doing it for political reasons????

That's what they're not getting.  The odd comment about Westminster is irrelevant.  The important matter is making decisions that put votes in peril.

Yet still they made them.

You wont get a sensible,  rational thought from any of these vultures though.

Lord Montpelier
7 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

It's amazing how Swinney, and many others, are still in jobs after 2 years of ineptitude. Thankfully guys like Hancock and Cummings are now gone, the only one I recall north of the border is that chain smoking health secretary Freeman who retired / was retired.

We are led by people who would struggle to hold down a middle management job in a local council. Complete clear out of both SNP hand wringing muppets and Conservative public school boy toffs now needed. Unfortunately all the intelligent leaders wouldn't go near politics now, better money to be made with less hassle in the private sector. We are then left with the dross running the country  . 

Malinga the Swinga
1 minute ago, NANOJAMBO said:

I read your post - I don't know why because I usually have you blocked but I'll remedy that shortly. 

For some strange reason you've  chosen to make a very large most out of a simple suggestion from me whilst completely ignoring the point I was making.. 

I don't know why you're asking me questions - maybe go find out how the collective decision was made and make your criticism to/about that  instead of just coming on here and maoning about

it ?  But then coming on here and moaning about it is what it's all about for you, as usual. 

Your point is, as usual, completely defensive of all things Scottish government and its members. There is never any emotion shown, just a stoic brick wall defence. Almost BOT like, but lacking in the warmth and  feeling a BOT posseses.

The sad thing is, deep down, you know it was a shit statement, you know Swinney is abject in his role but you can't be honest enough to admit it.

If you can't be honest to yourself on a message board, when it won't change one single thing, then nothing you say can be considered as heartfelt or true.

As such, block away.

4 minutes ago, XB52 said:

The irony is completely lost on them. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )