Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Enzo Chiefo

Boris Johnson claiming that the huge reductions in cases, hospitalisations and deaths are as a result of lockdown NOT the vaccine, although he concedes it "helps". Does he genuinely think the public are stupid?  Common sense shows us that once the most vulnerable, who account for 99% of Covid deaths, are vaccinated, then of course we end up in the position we are in now. Lockdown helped initially, in a blunt, sledgehammer/nut type of way, to reduce interactions but hospitals, care homes, factories, densely populated housing estates, buses, supermarkets have never been "locked down" at any point, so the effectiveness is not all it's made out to be. Schools have been back for weeks now too.

If the point was to ensure that people still take care for another few weeks while more are vaccinated, then fair enough, treat folk like adults and say that.  But, after a year of a ridiculous publicity campaign, to strike the fear of death in to people, why is he continuing to pedal arrant nonsense? The more you hear false proclamations like that, the more you wonder what the true purpose of this is all about.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

The principal is all areas move to tier 3 at end of April, they will then move down a tier at 3 weekly intervals, the tier system is being kept incase a region isn’t fit to move down a tier. The fact that the travel restrictions have been lifted, in reality we will come out as a single country. IMO that makes much more sense than a tiered approach.

Apologies. I thought it was T2 then T1, then T0 for the big party on the 21st of June. 

👍 At least someone is paying attention. 

9 minutes ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

👍

Sorry bud, I think I made a mistake. T3 throu to T0 by the end of June. The islands are lower, tho. 

14 minutes ago, frankblack said:

What does that feel like again? 😭

:DI'll tell ye in hauf an hour. 🍻

11 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

According to the fish today, they have decided (via consultation) that the islands are staying at level 3 until the rest of Scotland gets there. They will the go through the same release as the rest of the country. They have chosen to align to mainland to allow travel to and from and all the benefits that come from that to the local economy, 

They had the opportunity to go to tier 2 just now.

*Also good to have you back you radge👍

Cheers. I didn't hear any updates. 

Thanks bud

*I'll need to learn to ignore people when things are said regarding subjects that are too close to my heart and part and parcel in my wider family. I usually can't hold back, but it's made me look like the bad guy, so I'll just need to :whistling: from now on. :D Let's see how long that lasts. 

Francis Albert
52 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Auld Joe, I think, FA. Nibs no taking his meds. 

Thanks. I guessed it was something to do with Kennedy dynasty but couldn't fit the pieces together.

Byyy The Light
40 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Boris Johnson claiming that the huge reductions in cases, hospitalisations and deaths are as a result of lockdown NOT the vaccine, although he concedes it "helps". Does he genuinely think the public are stupid?  Common sense shows us that once the most vulnerable, who account for 99% of Covid deaths, are vaccinated, then of course we end up in the position we are in now. Lockdown helped initially, in a blunt, sledgehammer/nut type of way, to reduce interactions but hospitals, care homes, factories, densely populated housing estates, buses, supermarkets have never been "locked down" at any point, so the effectiveness is not all it's made out to be. Schools have been back for weeks now too.

If the point was to ensure that people still take care for another few weeks while more are vaccinated, then fair enough, treat folk like adults and say that.  But, after a year of a ridiculous publicity campaign, to strike the fear of death in to people, why is he continuing to pedal arrant nonsense? The more you hear false proclamations like that, the more you wonder what the true purpose of this is all about.

Totally agree. That’s what annoyed me the most out of all of this. The reality however is that is their favoured approach. Fear wins out against asking people to use their judgement.

Most people can’t read between the lines.

Some people are so bad at it they think there are baddies on an island somewhere pulling the Governments of hundreds of countries’ strings.

niblick1874
1 hour ago, Francis Albert said:

Sorry there may be something earlier in the thread but who and what is this about?

Prescott Bush, introduced Margret Sanger to Hitler with the sole purpose of turning Hitler into what he became. He had everything to do with the Nazis telling millions to take a shower. Now his grandson, ex president George Bush mark two is telling everyone to take the vaccine. It is way more complex, including China, nonetheless, I would run as fast and as far as I could away from anywhere Bush told me I should be going. 

49 minutes ago, heartstastic said:

No Gizmo i just know something that i can gather from your posts that you don't. Which allows me to have never worn a mask 100% confident that am i of no risk to anyone and certainly don't need a needle stuck in my arm to protect others too. This requires some research and dedication many are not willing to put in. That's everyone's personal choice.

Some anecdotal information so make of it what you will. I've got a friend that;s in the music business and spends his time between Brazil and Ibiza...he's been in Brazil for months and says all the news about deaths at least in the major cities doesn't check out. He speaks to many native Brazilians and they all say the same....the media is the virus imo.

See, that's exactly what a conspiracy fed person would claim - that they are special, hold information others don't and are superior to all the sheep. You mentioned narcissism yet are attracted to being in a "special club". Unfortunately, you are deluding yourself. 

Research includes scientific papers and journals, not just memes, social media and quacks on youtube. It also includes checking the veracity of the claims against other sources as well as the legitimacy of those making the claims. It's also extremely important to be aware of our own inate biases and the tendency to often end up in a social bubble of like-minded people or recognizing that the youtube/social media algorithms deliberately re-inforce anything you watch or like until you are completely silo'd, all to drive engagement with their sites.    

Plenty sources suggest that, tragically, the reality of covid deaths and infections in Brazil does check out:

Mass grave in Sao Paulo.
resized_150246-4abrazil0502_30-29409_t80

2167e707-f6cd-4548-91a6-5623cf330657.jpg

_117869773_brazil_states_covid_map_7apr_

JudyJudyJudy
2 hours ago, redjambo said:

You win today's Stat Monkey Name Switcheroo prize, James. Congrats from all here at Stat Monkey Central! :)

Yeahhhhhh haa my lucky day...whats the prize ? im overwhelmed 

2 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

It should never be anything else, James.

Yep

Francis Albert
1 minute ago, niblick1874 said:

Prescott Bush, introduced Margret Sanger to Hitler with the sole purpose of turning Hitler into what he became. He had everything to do with the Nazis telling millions to take a shower. Now his grandson, ex president George Bush mark two is telling everyone to take the vaccine. It is way more complex, including China, nonetheless, I would run as fast and as far as I could away from anywhere Bush told me I should be going. 

Thanks. Like ri Alban I got the wrong end of the stick.

Suffice to say these American political dynasties like the Bushes and Kennediies are generally dodgy.

JudyJudyJudy

Well I got jab ...went in like the first  pic and now feel like the 2nd...top of the world....Ma...........  :) actually it was all very well organised as noted by others. Had a slight disagreement with the bouncer on the door ...as he said I needed my appointment letter. I said i didn't...anyway I managed to swerve past him.  ( i was right btw).  Anyway got to the nurse and the poor soul asked about my medical history....NOW thats the worse question to ask me...she got the whole shebang....I did try and condense it all as there was a queue... :) even told her to keep an eye on my name on the Labour election leaflets.. bizarrely she looked about in her mid 60s but her name was Chantal... anyway thats its done . So the waiting game for any side effects...

2.37803164.jpg

theincrediblehulk_lob_mas_hlf_02_0.jpg

52 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Frankly, I couldn't comprehend why he is choosing this line when I read his comments. Does he want to undermine the vaccination program at a time when its been sold as our way out and when they are trying to get us to a level of protection that protects everyone, including those who can't take the vaccines?  

If he has got a taste for control, he's going to be disappointed. I get it - I get why they don't want everyone to drop all measures too soon - Chile stand as an example of how it can go south if you open up quicker than you are vaccinating, but this smells like he wants to cement the concept of lockdown further so he can use it again. 

Those who have stuck with this for the most part, did so as they saw the common sense in the measures and toughed it out as a means to an end (albeit that end could have been a proper lockdown at the beginning to take control, not this bloody charade). If the vaccinations aren't that means to an end, no-one is going to go back into lockdown willingly. This includes if the variants cause seasonal spikes - then they better get started on the boosters asap. 

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, Gizmo said:

Frankly, I couldn't comprehend why he is choosing this line when I read his comments. Does he want to undermine the vaccination program at a time when its been sold as our way out and when they are trying to get us to a level of protection that protects everyone, including those who can't take the vaccines?  

If he has got a taste for control, he's going to be disappointed. I get it - I get why they don't want everyone to drop all measures too soon - Chile stand as an example of how it can go south if you open up quicker than you are vaccinating, but this smells like he wants to cement the concept of lockdown further so he can use it again. 

Those who have stuck with this for the most part, did so as they saw the common sense in the measures and toughed it out as a means to an end (albeit that end could have been a proper lockdown at the beginning to take control, not this bloody charade). If the vaccinations aren't that means to an end, no-one is going to go back into lockdown willingly. This includes if the variants cause seasonal spikes - then they better get started on the boosters asap. 

Very well said. Yes vaccinations are the way out as indicated by him and his mob. SO why the change ? It is alarming and makes one think.  As you rightly state no one will accept another lockdown willingly. Good. 

18 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Yeahhhhhh haa my lucky day...whats the prize ? im overwhelmed

31232480_c77471828d_b.jpg

Boris Johnson should be nowhere near politics. He continually lies and makes absolutely stupid statements. He’s a sound bite man with very little substance to any of his ideas. 

heartstastic
39 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

See, that's exactly what a conspiracy fed person would claim - that they are special, hold information others don't and are superior to all the sheep. You mentioned narcissism yet are attracted to being in a "special club". Unfortunately, you are deluding yourself. 

Research includes scientific papers and journals, not just memes, social media and quacks on youtube. It also includes checking the veracity of the claims against other sources as well as the legitimacy of those making the claims. It's also extremely important to be aware of our own inate biases and the tendency to often end up in a social bubble of like-minded people or recognizing that the youtube/social media algorithms deliberately re-inforce anything you watch or like until you are completely silo'd, all to drive engagement with their sites.    

Plenty sources suggest that, tragically, the reality of covid deaths and infections in Brazil does check out:

Mass grave in Sao Paulo.
resized_150246-4abrazil0502_30-29409_t80

2167e707-f6cd-4548-91a6-5623cf330657.jpg

_117869773_brazil_states_covid_map_7apr_

Edited by heartstastic

heartstastic
2 minutes ago, heartstastic said:

Your so despertate to force your subjective opinon down my throat i cannot be arsed mate.  You make all sorts of assumptions without every having met me in your life. You also cite information from the bbc...a institution that protects pedophiles and war criminals amongst other crimes...so of you pop with your world view which your perfectly entitled to. I'll go with what i know as well...good day to you.

Auld Reekin'
33 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

I can: he's a feckin' idiot.

JudyJudyJudy
4 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Glad went all smoothly

What jab you get?

Cheers.  The astra zeneca one.  Have you not heard about yours yet?

Auld Reekin'
31 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

Boris Johnson should be nowhere near politics. He continually lies and makes absolutely stupid statements. He’s a sound bite man with very little substance to any of his ideas. 

I often disagree with your posts on political matters, but you're absolutely spot-on with this one.

Enzo Chiefo
41 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

Yes, great post, Gizmo. We all understand the need to release lockdown in a sensible way but just after people in England enjoyed their first night out for months,  and with positive news here in Scotland too, to come out with those comments just beggars belief.  He would be better using common sense than relying on so-called "behavioural scientists" who are so far removed from public opinion. 

You're right, if they attempted another lockdown, regardless of variants, compliance would be zero.

Enzo Chiefo
1 hour ago, Byyy The Light said:

Totally agree. That’s what annoyed me the most out of all of this. The reality however is that is their favoured approach. Fear wins out against asking people to use their judgement.

Most people can’t read between the lines.

Some people are so bad at it they think there are baddies on an island somewhere pulling the Governments of hundreds of countries’ strings.

Yeah, you're right BTL. They don't seem to have learned from or changed their fear based approach. 

niblick1874
28 minutes ago, Auld Reekin' said:

I can: he's a feckin' idiot.

No he is not, and anyone that think he is, is himself one. Stop it. He is a snake oil salesman with the snake oil being poison. 

By all means call him out for his part in all this, but don't call him an idiot. It gives him an out when he should be getting done for treason.

JudyJudyJudy
22 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Going on Sunday. Not had a letter just a text, though it is defo legit. Getting jabbed at the RHS. Be glad to get it done tbh, the wife has been on the countdown as she thinks it means she gets away on holiday or something bizarre, maybe she does care for me🤔

Still no word on my old boy though 😡

OK thats good u have a date.  Shocked your dad hasnt though? Any further forward ?

20 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Yes, great post, Gizmo. We all understand the need to release lockdown in a sensible way but just after people in England enjoyed their first night out for months,  and with positive news here in Scotland too, to come out with those comments just beggars belief.  He would be better using common sense than relying on so-called "behavioural scientists" who are so far removed from public opinion. 

You're right, if they attempted another lockdown, regardless of variants, compliance would be zero.

Yes people have trusted the Govt by consenting to a vaccine into their bodies. it was said that this was the way out. What is BJ playing at ? he is getting well earned pelters for it which is good to see. 

Unknown user
4 minutes ago, niblick1874 said:

No he is not, and anyone that think he is, is himself one. Stop it. He is a snake oil salesman with the snake oil being poison. 

By all means call him out for his part in all this, but don't call him an idiot. It gives him an out when he should be getting done for treason.

Bloody hell I totally 100% agree with nibbles

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
34 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

im interpretating it differently in the interview I saw

isn’t he getting in first saying infections and deaths will rise but he doesn’t see any reason to change the road map (sad as those rises will be)

probably realises that sone people have been so conditioned now that as the rises inevitably happen some/many will frantically start copying and pasting links and graphs and demanding lockdown again

what’s going to happen to that large group - some are going to have to start saying x-deaths are now pragmatically acceptable when they wouldn’t have previously - the ones who wanted zero covid what are they going to say now etc - some will have changed their views but some won’t - isn’t boris saying you’ll need to accept we’re not locking down again (just so you know) ?

Edited by MoncurMacdonaldMercer

niblick1874
6 minutes ago, Smithee said:

That's because I kept it simple. 😉

Auld Reekin'
10 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I don't - not 100% anyway - mainly because he inferred I am an idiot...   :ermm:

On the same note, I know I'm on the right lines if Enzo Chiefo disagrees with anything I post. :icon14:

manaliveits105

•  

Well I got jab ...went in like the first  pic and now feel like the 2nd...top of the world....Ma...........  :) actually it was all very well organised as noted by others. Had a slight disagreement with the bouncer on the door ...as he said I needed my appointment letter. I said i didn't...anyway I managed to swerve past him.  ( i was right btw).  Anyway got to the nurse and the poor soul asked about my medical history....NOW thats the worse question to ask me...she got the whole shebang....I did try and condense it all as there was a queue... :) even told her to keep an eye on my name on the Labour election leaflets.. bizarrely she looked about in her mid 60s but her name was Chantal... anyway thats its done . So the waiting game for any side effects...

This may help James

696F4231-176D-4D18-98C9-AC31FF8BAB71.jpeg

niblick1874
5 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

•  

Well I got jab ...went in like the first  pic and now feel like the 2nd...top of the world....Ma...........  :) actually it was all very well organised as noted by others. Had a slight disagreement with the bouncer on the door ...as he said I needed my appointment letter. I said i didn't...anyway I managed to swerve past him.  ( i was right btw).  Anyway got to the nurse and the poor soul asked about my medical history....NOW thats the worse question to ask me...she got the whole shebang....I did try and condense it all as there was a queue... :) even told her to keep an eye on my name on the Labour election leaflets.. bizarrely she looked about in her mid 60s but her name was Chantal... anyway thats its done . So the waiting game for any side effects...

This may help James

Well played. 

Edited by niblick1874

JudyJudyJudy
4 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

•  

This may help James

Thats a bit harsh really as I have been critical of it and am hardly smug about getting it.  Seriously this thread at times.  FFS

niblick1874
2 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Thats a bit harsh really as I have been critical of it and am hardly smug about getting it.  Seriously this thread at times.  FFS

It is difficult to believe what you say when you say you are critical of it yet come on here telling everyone you had to doge and weave to get your jab. I'm not getting it. People are beginning to see the contradictions in what they are being told to do and here you are doing just that. As in, contradicting yourself. Am I missing something.

niblick1874
5 minutes ago, niblick1874 said:

Edited by niblick1874

JudyJudyJudy

It is difficult to believe what you say when you say you are critical of it yet come on here telling everyone you had to doge and weave to get your jab. I'm not getting it. People are beginning to see the contradictions in what they are being told to do and here you are doing just that. As in, contradicting yourself. Am I missing something.

“ I managed to swerve “ passed him ! Yes after agreeing with him I didn’t need my letter as I had Told him . What did u think I did ? Jump over railings , then get the jab a la James Bond ! Behave yourself eh . I’m not contradicting myself I was trying to add humour to my story . Maybe you just don’t get it . 

niblick1874
1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

“ I managed to swerve “ passed him ! Yes after agreeing with him I didn’t need my letter as I had Told him . What did u think I did ? Jump over railings , then get the jab a la James Bond ! Behave yourself eh . I’m not contradicting myself I was trying to add humour to my story . Maybe you just don’t get it . 

You are right, I don't get it. Maybe I'm not getting you being critical about it then getting it and coming on here telling everyone you got it.

niblick1874
2 minutes ago, niblick1874 said:

Edited by niblick1874

JudyJudyJudy
Just now, niblick1874 said:

You are right, I don't get it. Maybe I'm not getting you being critical about it then getting it and coming on here telling everyone you got it.

Most people have mentioned getting the vaccine and sharing their experience that but you didn’t criticise them as far as I am aware so why me ? Yes I’ve expressed my doubts about it due to possible side effects or long term efficacy of it . What’s exactly wrong with that ? Sounds like your just gunning for me really . 

niblick1874
1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

Most people have mentioned getting the vaccine and sharing their experience that but you didn’t criticise them as far as I am aware so why me ? Yes I’ve expressed my doubts about it due to possible side effects or long term efficacy of it . What’s exactly wrong with that ? Sounds like your just gunning for me really . 

I have not read through this thread and I am not gunning for you.

I am frustrated at people saying that they are not sure but are going ahead with it anyway. At what point did you hold your nose and jump in with out looking any further because I know if you had you would not have jumped in. 

JudyJudyJudy

I have not read through this thread and I am not gunning for you.

I am frustrated at people saying that they are not sure but are going ahead with it anyway. At what point did you hold your nose and jump in with out looking any further because I know if you had you would not have jumped in. 

So your making judgments about me without any real context ? I said last week I had my doubts about getting and I would think carefully about it . I did and decided to go for it . That’s your problem if you feel “ frustrated “ that people are wondering whether to get it or not . I’d say that means people are thinking things though about the pros and cons of it . Own your “ frustration” don’t blame others .

niblick1874
2 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

So your making judgments about me without any real context ? I said last week I had my doubts about getting and I would think carefully about it . I did and decided to go for it . That’s your problem if you feel “ frustrated “ that people are wondering whether to get it or not . I’d say that means people are thinking things though about the pros and cons of it . Own your “ frustration” don’t blame others .

I am not making judgments about you. I am going by what you said on here. 

Riddley Walker
5 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Best ignored that guy. Thinks cos he's eventually got himself a spellchecker he's now some sort of cryptic poet who knows more than anyone else, but in reality is too much of a shitebag to actually say what he thinks. 

niblick1874
1 minute ago, Riddley Walker said:

Best ignored that guy. Thinks cos he's eventually got himself a spellchecker he's now some sort of cryptic poet who knows more than anyone else, but in reality is too much of a shitebag to actually say what he thinks. 

I do that to peoples faces. unlike you.

Riddley Walker
Just now, niblick1874 said:

I do that to peoples faces. unlike you.

How do you know what I say to people's faces? 

Anyway, enough of your cryptic pish that isn't anywhere near as clever as you think, and tell us all what you think about coronavirus. 

JudyJudyJudy
4 minutes ago, niblick1874 said:

I am not making judgments about you. I am going by what you said on here. 

But u are making judgements on me . Re read back . Anyway just drop it if u don’t mind . 

JudyJudyJudy
6 minutes ago, Riddley Walker said:

👍

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic