Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Enzo Chiefo
1 hour ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Have we got some real medical experts giving us the low-down here, or paranoid stoners with a keen interest?

Is there a difference between the 2 groups Guv??🤷‍♂️

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Tazio said:

As soon as someone claims the vaccine is being used as some sort of state sponsored euthanasia campaign it’s time to bow out of a discussion. 

It's not even a discussion.  It's more of an imposition of utter nonsense.  You can't counter-argue that kind of idiocy.  It's the sort of misinformation that would be censored off other platforms so it's no more relevant here.

Governor Tarkin
6 minutes ago, heartstastic said:

Either knocking off some of the elderly generation to not have to pay the pensions they can't afford (goverments not pharma but they are all in bed together) and possibly some return customers with new conditons they never had pre vaccine for the multi multi billion dollar big pharma industry. The pharma industry never got rich  by having you as a one time customer...just like any other industry. They also covered there assses against liabilites. Enjoy your soon to be multiple booster shots a year for all the 'variants' you crazy cats.

Cheers. 👍

It looked like the virus was doing a half decent job of bumping off the oldies without the need for a lethal vaccine.

To be honest with you, the nature of my work means I'm always in for some shot or booster or other, so I'm not really fazed by any of it. I can underatand why others may not be so keen, mind.

JudyJudyJudy
3 hours ago, Taffin said:

I wonder if deaths of people who've been vaccinated are recorded as 'with' vaccine?

Good question. 

3 hours ago, redjambo said:

Today's 7-day case stats around the councils:

(7-day per-100,000 cases)   Pre-                
Council Area Tier Lockdown Today Yesterday     ... 8 Apr ... 1 Apr
Scotland   34 35 -1   ... 42 ... 59
Clackmannanshire 4 3 70 87 -17   ... 157 ... 233
North Lanarkshire 4 3 61 62 -1   ... 75 ... 117
Renfrewshire 4 3 60 60 0   ... 70 ... 103
Glasgow City 4 3 59 59 0   ... 71 ... 81
Moray 4 1 52 48 +4   ... 33 ... 56
Fife 4 3 49 45 +4   ... 56 ... 42
West Lothian 4 3 49 53 -4   ... 81 ... 129
Falkirk 4 2 48 47 +1   ... 49 ... 90
East Renfrewshire 4 3 43 42 +1   ... 42 ... 45
Bonnie Dundee 4 3 42 38 +4   ... 41 ... 64
Stirling 4 3 42 38 +4   ... 52 ... 58
South Lanarkshire 4 3 40 42 -2   ... 37 ... 62
Aberdeen City 4 3 32 32 0   ... 22 ... 44
East Ayrshire 4 3 29 34 -5   ... 56 ... 72
West Dunbartonshire 4 3 24 27 -3   ... 26 ... 66
Perth & Kinross 4 3 22 21 +1   ... 37 ... 36
North Ayrshire 4 3 21 19 +2   ... 20 ... 71
Edinburgh City 4 3 19 20 -1   ... 26 ... 50
East Dunbartonshire 4 3 19 25 -6   ... 38 ... 56
Aberdeenshire 4 3 18 19 -1   ... 25 ... 28
Inverclyde 4 2 18 18 0   ... 10 ... 21
Highland 4/3 1 13 10 +3   ... 19 ... 7
Shetland Islands 3 1 13 13 0   ... 0 ... 9
South Ayrshire 4 3 12 12 0   ... 17 ... 19
East Lothian 4 3 11 16 -5   ... 47 ... 37
Angus 4 2 10 13 -3   ... 35 ... 42
Midlothian 4 3 9 9 0   ... 18 ... 57
Argyll & Bute 4/3 2 7 8 -1   ... 9 ... 7
Dumfries & Galloway 4 1 4 3 +1   ... 0 ... 5
Scottish Borders 4 1 3 3 0   ... 3 ... 11
Na h-Eileanan Siar 3 1 0 0 0   ... 0 ... 0
Orkney Islands 3 1 0 0 0   ... 0 ... 0

" Bonnie " Dundee > I assume you havent visited there ?  :) 

2 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

The "variants" argument is all about fears and assumptions.  We've heard it said about Kent, SA, Brazil etc. They don't actually know whether any will actually evade the vaccine response, it's still not proven. Anyway, antibodies are not the only immune defence against the virus.  

Analogies about "races against vaccines/variants" are not helpful and I think the country, the people,  the economy would benefit from less of a running commentary and daily case updates about Covid. As the vaccine programme continues and lockdown eases, confidence would be restored by punting scientists and politicians into the background to monitor, sample and test as they wish. We know that viruses vary and of course they should monitor them but we also know that they usually mutate away to a weaker version of their former self

Yes using " the race " analogy is like using the " war " analogy . it appeals to the numbnuts really. Its hyperbole rubbish. I completely agree about the daily running commentary of cases ( infections in particular) Whilst i appreciate Reds and others input in providing this it can sometimes be difficult to see any progress or pattern in daily totals. When i took a weeks sabbtatical from this it was really interesting to see the changes in stats within that week as I Hadnt really seen the more in depth stats that posters provide on this.  Yes and as you said we know variants might appear etc and we know what responses may be needed . However there is also the possibility that they may not appear.  Positive outlook and all helps. 

1 hour ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Have we got some real medical experts giving us the low-down here, or paranoid stoners with a keen interest?

Maybe its a mixture of both. I think it seems to be, :) 

30 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

It's JKB. What do you think? I'll go for later. 

its " latter" 

12 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

There's the rub. Same way the conspiritards will cite "died with covid not of" as refutation of how dangerous the virus is, they switch it round and of course they claim "died of vaccine not after". 

Strange eh?

In any event, doing a Heartstastic and taking the figures at face value, this produces a risk of death of:

That's people with first doses of vaccine as at 26th March (26,215,707) with the number of deaths post-vaccination expressed as a percentage. Contrasted with the odds of death or long-covid, that is absolutely neglible. 

Almost similar odds of dying with covid if you are under 40 and have no underlying health conditions. 

JudyJudyJudy
3 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Cheers. 👍

It looked like the virus was doing a half decent job of bumping off the oldies without the need for a lethal vaccine.

To be honest with you, the nature of my work means I'm always in for some shot or booster or other, so I'm not really fazed by any of it. I can underatand why others may not be so keen, mind.

Good point actually regarding if a person already has been used to various meds throughout their life. I can therefore understand they might not be so bothered with a vaccine. However those who have had no meds in their lives might feel the opposite and quite right too. 

scott herbertson
4 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Cheers. 👍

Indeed - if it was the it intention to kill old people there would be no vaccine - can't have it both ways

Governor Tarkin
3 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Is there a difference between the 2 groups Guv??🤷‍♂️

I've known a few who are both, right enough.

It's funny though, a quick scan through facebook and the paranoid conspiracy mob are exclusively stoners, but all the stoners are not exclusively conspiracy jobs. 🤷‍♂️

2 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

The "variants" argument is all about fears and assumptions.  We've heard it said about Kent, SA, Brazil etc. They don't actually know whether any will actually evade the vaccine response, it's still not proven. Anyway, antibodies are not the only immune defence against the virus.  

Analogies about "races against vaccines/variants" are not helpful and I think the country, the people,  the economy would benefit from less of a running commentary and daily case updates about Covid. As the vaccine programme continues and lockdown eases, confidence would be restored by punting scientists and politicians into the background to monitor, sample and test as they wish. We know that viruses vary and of course they should monitor them but we also know that they usually mutate away to a weaker version of their former self

Yes they do know.  There is a measured reduction in immunity and protection against serious illness from certain variants.  You're doing yourself no favours by pretending otherwise.  You yourself have made a number of assumptions.  You don't know any of the assumed conclusions you mentioned.

Saying something is "not proven" does not exclude the possibility or probability of it being true.  There's enough of a concern regarding these things to merit them remaining of concern until proved otherwise,  or fears greatly reduced.  

Assuming the absence of jeopardy on the basis of an absence of outright proof is rather complacent.  

Footballfirst
4 hours ago, Taffin said:

I wonder if deaths of people who've been vaccinated are recorded as 'with' vaccine?

If that was the case, then 95%+ of recent deaths of people over 60, regardless of the cause of death, would be "with vaccine".  

Edited by Footballfirst

Enzo Chiefo
37 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Yes they do know.  There is a measured reduction in immunity and protection against serious illness from certain variants.  You're doing yourself no favours by pretending otherwise.  You yourself have made a number of assumptions.  You don't know any of the assumed conclusions you mentioned.

Saying something is "not proven" does not exclude the possibility or probability of it being true.  There's enough of a concern regarding these things to merit them remaining of concern until proved otherwise,  or fears greatly reduced.  

Assuming the absence of jeopardy on the basis of an absence of outright proof is rather complacent.  

They suspect from initial small studies that there is less efficacy but that the vaccines may still prevent serious illness. As far as I am aware, no final conclusions have been reached. Perhaps you can confirm that there are conclusive results from large studies? We do know that, even if variants do evade our antibody response, to whatever extent, our T cells also offer a further line of defence. That's not an assumption.  

I'm not being complacent at all, I am simply suggesting that the scaremongering is unnecessary and the scientists should be maintaining radio silence while they conduct their monitoring and testing.

4 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Here's an indication of how each Local Authority has progressed in terms of the WHO criteria for case numbers and positivity rates over the last 4 weeks (14 Mar to 11 Apr).

1697241718_PredictivelevelsOld.JPG.34b82e7a30849608f6260561e73fb24e.JPG177508080_PredictivelevelsNew.JPG.93496ccabbd485b31ad23326a192bbd5.JPG

Cheers FF, looking at Glasgow city and Edinburgh City numbers I can see why she thinks the country should all come out of this together. 🙄

Edinburgh should be comfortably in tier 2 heading for tier 1 by the end of April. If we are all in tier 3 I think we all know why. 

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, Dazo said:

Cheers FF, looking at Glasgow city and Edinburgh City numbers I can see why she thinks the country should all come out of this together. 🙄

Edinburgh should be comfortably in tier 2 heading for tier 1 by the end of April. If we are all in tier 3 I think we all know why. 

Yes we will be in tier 3 until May 17th no doubt about it. And yes we know why. Its not exactly following the science. There was a news item on the BBC Scotland news.  ( i never watch it usually) Anyway they were interviewing pubs and asking about how they feel about the pubs opening up on April 26th.. Basically they wre all saying it isnt worth their time to open up due to overheads and only being able to serve outside at such.  Most dont have outside facilities either. Travesty really for these businesses. 

10 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

They suspect from initial small studies that there is less efficacy but that the vaccines may still prevent serious illness. As far as I am aware, no final conclusions have been reached. Perhaps you can confirm that there are conclusive results from large studies? We do know that, even if variants do evade our antibody response, to whatever extent, our T cells also offer a further line of defence. That's not an assumption.  

I'm not being complacent at all, I am simply suggesting that the scaremongering is unnecessary and the scientists should be maintaining radio silence while they conduct their monitoring and testing.

So we agree that that there are no conclusive answers.  

Why is it scaremongering?  I say scaremongering is the creation of fear without sufficient basis or cause.  That's clearly not the case here.  There is enough of a concern to merit ongoing caution and to retain openmindedness.  Why should scientists and other experts remain silent?  What's the purpose of that?  Wouldn't it be better to be provided with reliable and relevant information at every stage?  Isn't the absence of information potentially more damaging than open access to information?

3 hours ago, Boy Daniel said:

In the mean time many thanks to @redjambo and @Footballfirst for the work they do keeping updated with the stats I personally would be lost with out their work. 👍👍

Aw shucks, Boy Daniel, you and your silver tongue. :) It's my pleasure anyway. I just to like to know what's going on around me. Of course we'll all interpret the statistics in our own way, but at least they're there to allow us to do that. And what I do is miniscule compared to what Travelling Tabby does.

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

id rather listen to a stoner than some of the scientific mob really

That post you posted early on but took it down.

I sent it to my mate with a gif “You gonna die.”

Never replied.

I hope he’s okay.😃

1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

" Bonnie " Dundee > I assume you havent visited there ?  :)

Sir Walter Scott would be disappointed at you not knowing one of his works, James, as would the eponymous man himself. ;)

JudyJudyJudy
3 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Sir Walter Scott would be disappointed at you not knowing one of his works, James, as would the eponymous man himself. ;)

Maybe too cultured for me Red... :) im a hill billiy really. :) 

heartstastic
2 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Cheers. 👍

All good guv your defo one of the more measured and reasonable minded posters on this thread. At the end of the day i just want people to be going into it with informed consent...i see a lot of people just rushing in to take these Mrna vaccines when there by the admission of the companies producing them experimental. You also got people not bothered by which one they get and are quite happy to 'mix and match' which boggles my mind.

The companies producing them have collectivley paid out multi billions in court cases for harm caused by thier vaccines & other medicines and seeing as there's no medium or long term effects data for obvious reasons...i won't be taking it..but even if i was considering it i would have certainly been adopting a wait and see approach.

I realise with your job you may not have too much choice (although you always retain the right to say no) So the best of health to you fella.

Paragraph 32 of this is food for thought for anyone thinking there's no adverse reactions happening in the short term.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/975909/S1182_SPI-M-O_Summary_of_modelling_of_easing_roadmap_step_2_restrictions.pdf

photo_2021-04-14_19-55-32.jpg

Edited by heartstastic

Enzo Chiefo
1 hour ago, Victorian said:

So we agree that that there are no conclusive answers.  

Why is it scaremongering?  I say scaremongering is the creation of fear without sufficient basis or cause.  That's clearly not the case here.  There is enough of a concern to merit ongoing caution and to retain openmindedness.  Why should scientists and other experts remain silent?  What's the purpose of that?  Wouldn't it be better to be provided with reliable and relevant information at every stage?  Isn't the absence of information potentially more damaging than open access to information?

I think we're as close to agreeing as never before😂.

Yes, "reliable and relevant" information, absolutely, is essential.  Talk of "3rd waves washing up on our shores", as if it is an inevitability or a weather event and the "virus finding those who have not been vaccinated" quite clearly does not fit that description and, to me, is scaremongering, with no basis in fact. 

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, redjambo said:

You're more of a moving image man, James. :)

Anyway, here you go: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonnie_Dundee

Interesting read Thanks 

23 minutes ago, kila said:

This thread simply never gets boring.

Has to live on in KickBack Classics if we ever return to normality.

👍

18 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

I think we're as close to agreeing as never before😂.

Yes, "reliable and relevant" information, absolutely, is essential.  Talk of "3rd waves washing up on our shores", as if it is an inevitability or a weather event and the "virus finding those who have not been vaccinated" quite clearly does not fit that description and, to me, is scaremongering, with no basis in fact. 

The Whitty comment about virus finding the not yet vaccinated is an example of how these people describe things at times.  He clearly means that those still susceptible may become infected.  That kind of comment should not be taken too literally.  

I think we need to at least consider the possibility that the current vaccination efforts is a temporary solution.  If the virus was unlikely to change much then perhaps the vaccinations would be or could be a more medium term solution.  Immunity and protection may well persist for a considerable time.  The one single threat to consider is always an evolving virus.  Concerning indications have been suggested and we need to take it seriously as a threat.  No need to panic.  Simply just a concern.

I go back to my earlier metaphor about it being a race.  It's a race to get in as best a position as possible while having an unlocked society and to begin the next generation of vaccinations.  We also need to remember that the rest of the world will have an effect on us in the UK.  My own belief is that there will be a much more secure solution after vaccine 2.0 and maybe even 3.0,  because the rest of the world will have caught up to vaccination coverage.  

I'm currently viewing the current state of play as an period of transition.  

scottishguy
13 hours ago, theshed said:

Strange cause I work with a couple of guys who have had Covid and after their jag they were ill for a couple of days. The others had no ill effects after their jag but they’ve never had Covid 

Wondering if you’ve had Covid then when you get your vaccine you have a bad reaction 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

Think its just a bad, very bad reaction to it. I know loads of people who have had no reaction, but a few have been very ill. I'm the only that has had covid.

Enzo Chiefo
17 minutes ago, Victorian said:

The Whitty comment about virus finding the not yet vaccinated is an example of how these people describe things at times.  He clearly means that those still susceptible may become infected.  That kind of comment should not be taken too literally.  

I think we need to at least consider the possibility that the current vaccination efforts is a temporary solution.  If the virus was unlikely to change much then perhaps the vaccinations would be or could be a more medium term solution.  Immunity and protection may well persist for a considerable time.  The one single threat to consider is always an evolving virus.  Concerning indications have been suggested and we need to take it seriously as a threat.  No need to panic.  Simply just a concern.

I go back to my earlier metaphor about it being a race.  It's a race to get in as best a position as possible while having an unlocked society and to begin the next generation of vaccinations.  We also need to remember that the rest of the world will have an effect on us in the UK.  My own belief is that there will be a much more secure solution after vaccine 2.0 and maybe even 3.0,  because the rest of the world will have caught up to vaccination coverage.  

I'm currently viewing the current state of play as an period of transition.  

Pretty much like the annual flu vaccinations then, in response to the everchanging virus. Whatever happens though, lockdown restrictions will not be an option as normal life will have to continue as before. More measures,  treatments,  like the home treatment inhaler that quickens recovery time by 3 days, dedicated hospitals for patients and better infection controls in care homes etc would have to be utilised instead

1 minute ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Pretty much like the annual flu vaccinations then, in response to the everchanging virus. Whatever happens though, lockdown restrictions will not be an option as normal life will have to continue as before. More measures,  treatments,  like the home treatment inhaler that quickens recovery time by 3 days, dedicated hospitals for patients and better infection controls in care homes etc would have to be utilised instead

Hopefully.  We'll see in the fullness of time.   

scottishguy
12 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Hi sorry to hear you have been unwell.  I got the jab yesterday. I was fine until during the night and ive had a sore arm since then. its not major pain and controlable by drugs. What side effects did you have.? 

Didn't get a sore arm, within about 10 seconds of getting injected, I got a sharp pain in my brain like I'd been stabbed. Only last a second. This continued every 30mins or so, but the the in between got shorter until it was almost constant.

Went to work at 8pm, still getting brain pain, took painkillers which finally helped.

Starting getting a high temp at 2:30am, went for a break in my car. Could hardly move when I tried to get out the car. Went back into work, tried to start working, my hands went so numb I couldn't feel them, could hardly stand up. Got home for 3:30am. Sweating like made, but felt so cold, lungs and kidneys where killing me. Whole body in agony, was genuinely scared. Feeling a bit better now though thankfully

JudyJudyJudy
59 minutes ago, scottishguy said:

Didn't get a sore arm, within about 10 seconds of getting injected, I got a sharp pain in my brain like I'd been stabbed. Only last a second. This continued every 30mins or so, but the the in between got shorter until it was almost constant.

Went to work at 8pm, still getting brain pain, took painkillers which finally helped.

Starting getting a high temp at 2:30am, went for a break in my car. Could hardly move when I tried to get out the car. Went back into work, tried to start working, my hands went so numb I couldn't feel them, could hardly stand up. Got home for 3:30am. Sweating like made, but felt so cold, lungs and kidneys where killing me. Whole body in agony, was genuinely scared. Feeling a bit better now though thankfully

Jezz that’s not good at all . Must have been scary ? Glad you Seem to be on mend . My arm pain is fine now . No other issues so hopefully that’s me too 

10 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

id rather listen to a stoner than some of the scientific mob really

Talking to yourself is your favourite hobby? 

Governor Tarkin

The waiting lists for NHS England are absolutely mental. I can't see these ever being cleared. 

Cue a fresh Tory drive for privatisation. 

JudyJudyJudy
5 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Talking to yourself is your favourite hobby? 

Ouch 🤕 that’s a wicked rumour 😂 I’d rather being a stoner than a bevy merchant though ! Much more amenable company 

Edited by JamesM48

Enzo Chiefo
39 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Absolutely savaged this morning.  Got very little sleep.  Feel like I've been run over by a bus.

Not good. It's incredible how it affects people so differently. Hopefully it wears off soon.👍

Enzo Chiefo
2 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

The waiting lists for NHS England are absolutely mental. I can't see these ever being cleared. 

Cue a fresh Tory drive for privatisation. 

I didn't expect fellow card carrying Tories like yourself to be pedalling the "privatisation" line, Guv😎

JudyJudyJudy
7 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Not good. It's incredible how it affects people so differently. Hopefully it wears off soon.👍

It is weird. I had my jab on Tuesday . Had sore arm during the night . But most of yesterday fine and today 100 % 

Edited by JamesM48

12 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

:Agree:  

Enzo Chiefo
14 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

It is weird. I had my jab on Tuesday . Had sore arm during the night . But most of yesterday fine and today 100 % 

That's good that you're back to 100%. I had nothing other than a very slight headache and tiredness for a day or so. But that could easily have been down to the couple of beers that I had😂

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

That's good that you're back to 100%. I had nothing other than a very slight headache and tiredness for a day or so. But that could easily have been down to the couple of beers that I had😂

Cheers.  Yeah that was my main worry about getting it.  But so far so good and I believe after the initial 48 hours if you dont get any more side effects you should be ok.  Yes I swear by alcohol when slightly under the weather . I felt a bit crap last Friday ( blocked nose etc) got pissed Friday night and hey presto next again day felt great apart from a mild hangover :)) 

JudyJudyJudy

indianajones

Noticed an independent watchdog has said that 'vaccination passports' would be unlawful and infringe on human rights. 

Governor Tarkin
1 hour ago, Victorian said:

Absolutely savaged this morning.  Got very little sleep.  Feel like I've been run over by a bus.

Double dunt some co-codamol and get Zulu on the telly. You'll be feeling chipper in no time. 

👍

55 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

I didn't expect fellow card carrying Tories like yourself to be pedalling the "privatisation" line, Guv😎

At no point did I say that it was a bad thing. 👍

19 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Did you bleach your newspapers and magazines before reading? 🤔

17 minutes ago, indianajones said:

Noticed an independent watchdog has said that 'vaccination passports' would be unlawful and infringe on human rights. 

That theory would need to be tested in court by very expensive lawyers, and even if they won, the government could create new legislation to override.

indianajones
2 minutes ago, frankblack said:

That theory would need to be tested in court by very expensive lawyers, and even if they won, the government could create new legislation to override.

Would they? 

Not so sure myself. 

Don't know if its been mentioned but a study by Oxford University has claimed that the blood clots are as prevalent in Pfizer and Moderna vaccines as AZ.

Of course, I don't know if a study from Oxford University counts as independent...

JudyJudyJudy
5 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Did you bleach your newspapers and magazines before reading? 🤔

Wake up its 2021 who reads newspapers or magazines anymore...dinosaurs ...if the cap fits and all

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic