Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

5 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

From June til December Scotland had 2500 deaths. Now its 7500. How's that. 

Oh and mind you used have an Atlantic ocean as a buffer for your posts. 

Must-have been all that tropical weather we had in October/November/December

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

You have been resting too much media crap or watchin the doom laden bbc ! I think even of over 50 the chances of dying of it are very very low unless your 99 and 99 stone ! Dint take my word for it even Mr Whitty agrees

My 23-year-old, otherwise healthy, very dear friend would probably have something to say in response, if she were still alive.

1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

Outside !!! Are u bonkers ? 

Says the guy who went from washing his messages to slagging off anyone who took the virus seriously. Converts are always the biggest fanatics

JudyJudyJudy
4 minutes ago, XB52 said:

Says the guy who went from washing his messages to slagging off anyone who took the virus seriously. Converts are always the biggest fanatics

A3E70AA2-ED1B-4D95-98D7-786AF9654C50.jpeg

Footballfirst
24 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

26 infections out of a population of over half a million. 

The population of the NHS Lothian region used for the Covid reports is 907,580.

JudyJudyJudy
5 minutes ago, XB52 said:

And I always took the virus seriously hence washing my messages ! But educating myself . Unlike yourself it seems with most of your comments . It’s still a serious threat to people who are at the at risk groups but much reduced to the vaccine roll out 

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, Footballfirst said:

The population of the NHS Lothian region used for the Covid reports is 907,580.

Oh yes that’s right my error so even less of  a concern 

JudyJudyJudy
8 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

My 23-year-old, otherwise healthy, very dear friend would probably have something to say in response, if she were still alive.

That’s sad to hear but luckily it’s very rare for someone of that age to die of covid , in particular for Someone with no known underlying health conditions Still very sad . 

Enzo Chiefo
5 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

That’s sad to hear but luckily it’s very rare for someone of that age to die of covid , in particular for Someone with no known underlying health conditions Still very sad . 

Unfortunately,  12 under 30s die suddenly every week in the UK from undiagnosed heart conditions.  We don't ban active sport for under 30s. Sad as it is, these things, unfortunately, happen.  I know 2 people under 50 this last year who were diagnosed with cancer and another with MND. The fear surrounding Covid was wildly disproportionate to the threat to the vast majority who, if they caught it, would suffer no or mild symptoms,  both in the short and long term.  Had the govts focussed on infection control in the places of highest risk, hospitals and care homes, deaths would have been a fraction of what he have had. Further lockdowns may also not have been necessary .

JudyJudyJudy
5 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Unfortunately,  12 under 30s die suddenly every week in the UK from undiagnosed heart conditions.  We don't ban active sport for under 30s. Sad as it is, these things, unfortunately, happen.  I know 2 people under 50 this last year who were diagnosed with cancer and another with MND. The fear surrounding Covid was wildly disproportionate to the threat to the vast majority who, if they caught it, would suffer no or mild symptoms,  both in the short and long term.  Had the govts focussed on infection control in the places of highest risk, hospitals and care homes, deaths would have been a fraction of what he have had. Further lockdowns may also not have been necessary .

Great post 👍yes the Govt sorry both Govts and the mass Media have a lot to answer for . 

The Real Maroonblood
52 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

Sorry to hear that. 

See some of this debt the government is piling up. Build more hospitals and train more nurses and doctors. 

1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

A3E70AA2-ED1B-4D95-98D7-786AF9654C50.jpeg

The last couple of times I've cycled through Saughton Park it's been packed with kids laughing and playing as normal. They certainly weren't terrified of each other.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/apr/06/israel-and-chile-both-led-on-covid-jabs-so-why-is-one-back-in-lockdown

Chile showing the world what happens when you open back up too early in the vaccination process. Back into lockdown they go despite over a third of the population having received a jab.

Edited by Ray Gin

The Real Maroonblood
4 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

The last couple of times I've cycled through Saughton Park it's been packed with kids laughing and playing as normal. They certainly weren't terrified of each other.

The kids I've seen appear to be playing normally. 

JudyJudyJudy
6 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

That’s great they are out and about big children often can’t or will not articulate how they are really feeling . 

Enzo Chiefo
25 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/apr/06/israel-and-chile-both-led-on-covid-jabs-so-why-is-one-back-in-lockdown

Chile showing the world what happens when you open back up too early in the vaccination process. Back into lockdown they go despite over a third of the population having received a jab.

Thankfully,  we're following the successful Israeli strategy.

Men's World Curling Championship taking place in Calgary.

Had some positive tests at the end of round robin, but confidentally announced not from the 6 play off countries still in the tournament.

Temporarily suspended play off games, then found out there was indeed 1 play off player who had tested positive so all matches cancelled yesterday (one play off and 2 semi finals).

Another round of testing, all negative and it now transpires the key player involved had been vaccinated with both doses before arriving in Canada.

All 5 remaining matches (1 play off, 2 semis and gold and bronze play off) being played today.

Players now have to wear masks for full 2 and 3/4 hours of each match and throat PCR tested before and after each tie.

Scotland play RCF (Russia) in one semi and Sweden v. Switzerland.

Switzerland beat the USA in their play off game earlier today so will be tested 6 times today.  (Scotland beat Canada, late Friday iirc in their play off).

Shouldn't 😅 however......

2 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

And I always took the virus seriously hence washing my messages ! But educating myself . Unlike yourself it seems with most of your comments . It’s still a serious threat to people who are at the at risk groups but much reduced to the vaccine roll out 

If you take a mass gathering such as a football match where people are packed like sardines into narrow seats and are shouting and singing then I think you will find that being "outside" doesn't protect you, and potentially infects far more people in the vicinity.

Face masks would 100% be a requirement.

Enzo Chiefo
25 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Men's World Curling Championship taking place in Calgary.

Had some positive tests at the end of round robin, but confidentally announced not from the 6 play off countries still in the tournament.

Temporarily suspended play off games, then found out there was indeed 1 play off player who had tested positive so all matches cancelled yesterday (one play off and 2 semi finals).

Another round of testing, all negative and it now transpires the key player involved had been vaccinated with both doses before arriving in Canada.

All 5 remaining matches (1 play off, 2 semis and gold and bronze play off) being played today.

Players now have to wear masks for full 2 and 3/4 hours of each match and throat PCR tested before and after each tie.

Scotland play RCF (Russia) in one semi and Sweden v. Switzerland.

Switzerland beat the USA in their play off game earlier today so will be tested 6 times today.  (Scotland beat Canada, late Friday iirc in their play off).

Shouldn't 😅 however......

Madness.  **** knows what these tests detect but it's all becoming a bit OTT

JudyJudyJudy
32 minutes ago, frankblack said:

If you take a mass gathering such as a football match where people are packed like sardines into narrow seats and are shouting and singing then I think you will find that being "outside" doesn't protect you, and potentially infects far more people in the vicinity.

Face masks would 100% be a requirement.

There is no way any stadia will be “ filled like sardines “ for a very long time . My comments were about walking in the street or a park 

Adam_the_legend
2 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Seems more like an issue with the Chinese vaccine tbf. 

1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

There is no way any stadia will be “ filled like sardines “ for a very long time . My comments were about walking in the street or a park 

Fair enough.  Others on the same page were making that point.

If you are on a busy street like say Princess Street when shops reopen then wearing a mask is still advisable.  You cannot guarantee 2m distance in a crowd or queue for public transport.

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, frankblack said:

If you are on a busy street like say Princess Street when shops reopen then wearing a mask is still advisable.  You cannot guarantee 2m distance in a crowd or queue for public transport.

No I won’t be wearing one in a street at all . I’ll have had the vaccine so I’ll have done my bit anyway . Like most others . Up to others if they want to wear masks outside on the street . We have to get used to not wearing them eventually . That should he the plan . Like being back to normal 

JudyJudyJudy
7 minutes ago, frankblack said:

In fact it’s generally believed that one has to be in the company of an infected person for 15 minutes if more to get a viral load enough to infect you . Also there have been numerous mass outdoor demos etc with people in close proximity to each other and hardly any infections from it . 

3 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Thankfully,  we're following the successful Israeli strategy.

We aren't using a single vaccine throughout nor administering the second dose 3 weeks after the first, like the Israelis are. They found the first Pfizer vaccine dose was not effective at 14-days but around 50% at 21 days. 

Our delay, variety of vaccines and the many differences between the topology, population size and density, the UK being more of a transport hub etc means we can't just blithely assume that how it panned out for the Israelis will be how it pans out for us. As much as I hope to **** we are getting it right. 

35 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

No I won’t be wearing one in a street at all . I’ll have had the vaccine so I’ll have done my bit anyway . Like most others . Up to others if they want to wear masks outside on the street . We have to get used to not wearing them eventually . That should he the plan . Like being back to normal 

I've got used to not wearing one lately (don't really go anywhere that requires it often). Popped into the petrol station about 6am last week without one on and panicked and pulled my fleece up around my face and apologised to the women on the till. She just laughed at my response to it and said don't worry about it (she was also maskless). 

JudyJudyJudy
16 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I've got used to not wearing one lately (don't really go anywhere that requires it often). Popped into the petrol station about 6am last week without one on and panicked and pulled my fleece up around my face and apologised to the women on the till. She just laughed at my response to it and said don't worry about it (she was also maskless). 

Yeah we will have to get used to not Wearing one . Trouble is we have web that conditioned into wearing one it’ll be a difficult transition for some . I forgot mine today and just used my scarf in a shop and on the bus . 

3 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

In fact it’s generally believed that one has to be in the company of an infected person for 15 minutes if more to get a viral load enough to infect you . Also there have been numerous mass outdoor demos etc with people in close proximity to each other and hardly any infections from it . 

That was the scientific opinion last year but isn't the case now.  Being outside dissipates the virus faster but if you are in close range to an infected person and neither of you wear a mask then you are vulnerable.

There was government TV adverts made showing this.

Enzo Chiefo
6 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

I agree, James. Once you've had the vaccine, any fear about catching Covid subsides considerably.  We have to get used to not wearing them and the sooner people's confidence returns,  the sooner we get the economy booming again.  The danger is that people kow-tow to the scientists who, I am sure, will want winter mask wearing to become the norm. 

So someone from GMB gets her ill husband home and then goes to work mingling with other people. Then goes home to the husband she hasn't been with for a year, but decided she'd go to work to get away from him and have some look at me time. 👍

Get yer arse home and look after your husband. 

Enzo Chiefo
2 hours ago, frankblack said:

That was the scientific opinion last year but isn't the case now.  Being outside dissipates the virus faster but if you are in close range to an infected person and neither of you wear a mask then you are vulnerable.

There was government TV adverts made showing this.

Figures released this week suggested only 1 in 10k cases come from an infection outdoors. In addition, if you are vaccinated, you won't be susceptible anyway so mask wearing outdoors will really serve no purpose for the majority.  

1 hour ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Figures released this week suggested only 1 in 10k cases come from an infection outdoors. In addition, if you are vaccinated, you won't be susceptible anyway so mask wearing outdoors will really serve no purpose for the majority.  

I'm not sure that the vaccine makes you immune nor prevents transmissabililty.

The definition of "outdoors" needs clarification as in how close people will be to each other and for how long.

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

So someone from GMB gets her ill husband home and then goes to work mingling with other people. Then goes home to the husband she hasn't been with for a year, but decided she'd go to work to get away from him and have some look at me time. 👍

Get yer arse home and look after your husband. 

You watch GMB? :lol:

Nookie Bear
12 hours ago, ri Alban said:

See some of this debt the government is piling up. Build more hospitals and train more nurses and doctors. 

Works two ways though.

If the pandemic teaches us anything is that the population needs to start taking more care of themselves, stop this acceptance of excess drinking and eating. 

manaliveits105

So as the rUK begin to re-emerge to a bit of normality - Nicoliar keeps Scotland under her iron fist (except for  election business) despite lower figures .Scotland needs freedom right enough from the SG ! 

NI moves from stay at home to stay local today.

Petrol bombing to move from the Shankhill to Falls etc, etc,etc.

Sorry.

Edited by DETTY29

Nucky Thompson
13 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

So as the rUK begin to re-emerge to a bit of normality - Nicoliar keeps Scotland under her iron fist (except for  election business) despite lower figures .Scotland needs freedom right enough from the SG ! 

English holiday parks open this morning. Scottish schools still on holiday for another week :biggrin2:

Nice weather forecast as well this week.

Lovely jubbly 

Footballfirst
1 hour ago, manaliveits105 said:

Scotland has posted higher case rates than the rUK for the last month if you hadn't noticed. 

Also, if I'm not mistaken, garden centres, hardware stores and hairdressers all opened in Scotland last week, ahead of England.  Similarly schools reopened for the youngest pupils ahead of England.  Swings and roundabouts.  We will all get to the same end point at roughly the same time.

Edited by Footballfirst

The Real Maroonblood
7 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Scotland has posted higher case rates than the rUK for the last month if you hadn't noticed. 

Also, if I'm not mistaken, garden centres, hardware stores and hairdressers all opened in Scotland last week, ahead of England.  Similarly schools reopened for the youngest pupils ahead of England.  Swings and roundabouts.  We will all get to the same end point at roughly the same time.

:spoton:

16 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

For months (wave 2) you were only allowed out of the house once a day in England for exercise (unless an essential) and not allowed to meet up with anyone (unless a vulnerable bubble)

Compared to Scotland, that was the most extreme difference and restrictive measure between the two nations, imo.

Edited by DETTY29

2 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Maybe thats part of the reason for their numbers being lowers than Scotland’s recently.🤷🏻‍♂️

Whilst, Scotland has been in a extended period of overall restrictions compared to England.

That said the home nations have more or less handled the pandemic the same. There has been a few tweaks around timings but thats about it. Thats not surprising considering the advice is coming from the same place. 

People arguing about the difference between Scotland and England difference are, pretty much without exception, political fanatics or trolls, who view life through a very narrow political lens.

The type best ignored, as their views are so prejudiced, due to their innate biases. That applies to all sides of the political spectrum. **** me there are  posters on this thread who talk about sides in discussions about a global pandemic that killed thousands of people. That tells you a lot about certain mindsets and what values they hold important 🤮

Yep.

Over the piece, it's been a tweak here, a tweak there.  Was it worth it?  Well, I suppose the way Health is devolved that's they way it is and of course there is a lot more co-operation goes on in the background than many on all sides will admit to publicly (talking politicians).

Dennis Reynolds

Heard a rumor this morning on a call that some restrictions meant to be lifted on the 26th are being brought forward to the 19th. A bit like what Wales did. No idea how correct that information is though and could just be someone at the wind up but I'll watch her statement today just incase!

Enzo Chiefo
2 hours ago, frankblack said:

I'm not sure that the vaccine makes you immune nor prevents transmissabililty.

The definition of "outdoors" needs clarification as in how close people will be to each other and for how long.

I think the vaccine makes you as immune as you can be. Studies also show that transmission is cut by about 65% iirc. Apparently the UK is just short of full herd immunity, which is expected by autumn. That will end this thing to all intents and purposes. Obviously annual vaccinations will still be needed but I certainly don't think you will need to worry about mask wearing indoors or outdoors, come the autumn.

3 minutes ago, LMc said:

Heard a rumor this morning on a call that some restrictions meant to be lifted on the 26th are being brought forward to the 19th. A bit like what Wales did. No idea how correct that information is though and could just be someone at the wind up but I'll watch her statement today just incase!

I’d rather she brought forward the may restriction easing to the end of April. Playing a game of 5’s with mates or having a beer or wine when I take the mrs out surely poses no more of a threat than thousands of women bursting round the aisles of tk maxx. 🙄

9 minutes ago, Dazo said:

I’d rather she brought forward the may restriction easing to the end of April. Playing a game of 5’s with mates or having a beer or wine when I take the mrs out surely poses no more of a threat than thousands of women bursting round the aisles of tk maxx. 🙄

Yeah, and you won't be fighting over the last shell suit at Primark either, if you are calmly sitting having a quiet drink with friends.

Mars plastic
13 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

I think the vaccine makes you as immune as you can be. Studies also show that transmission is cut by about 65% iirc. Apparently the UK is just short of full herd immunity, which is expected by autumn. That will end this thing to all intents and purposes. Obviously annual vaccinations will still be needed but I certainly don't think you will need to worry about mask wearing indoors or outdoors, come the autumn.

There will be dafties wearing masks for the rest of their lives such is the level of fear that's been put into them. I've no idea how these people even manage to go over their front door.

1 minute ago, frankblack said:

Yeah, and you won't be fighting over the last shell suit at Primark either, if you are calmly sitting having a quiet drink with friends.

Absolutely, plenty shell suits already. I just don’t get the logic behind if restaurants are open you can’t have a drink. Those that kick the arse out of it are already do so at the meadows or various weekly house parties they attend. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic