Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

Maybe but I struggle to draw much of a conclusion on the basis the Chileans are using a vaccine that is 50.4% effective against the Israel one (Pzifer) which is 95% effective.

I think the issue is more the effectiveness of the vaccine than anything else. 

UK appears to be using ones which provide in the 90% range effectiveness. So we should be much more akin to Israel than chile. 

I do hope so.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

joondalupjambo

Every time I read something like this i get more and more confused with the rules.  As a pre-read bear in mind I am in Fife and I cannot visit my son in Dundee.

So they travel all that way, across county borders, who has agreed to conduct the wedding knowing where thet are coming from, where are they staying no holiday accommodation is open is it, staying with friends that is not allowed etc.  Should they not have waited until after the 26th April at least to do this, if not 17th May?

As the rest of England begins to enjoy Monday's easing of restrictions, this couple are on their way to Scotland to get married, after reorganising their wedding four times during the pandemic.

Beth Wheatley, 34, and Dan Gibson, 27, are travelling from Newton-le-Willows, in Merseyside, to the Scottish Highlands for their wedding on Wednesday.

Speaking to BBC Radio 5 Live from a lay-by in South Lanarkshire, Beth says: “It’s been incredibly stressful changing it, this has been the fourth time – the third iteration.

"[We’ve spent] the last few months pouring over not just the law and the guidelines for England where we're from but for Scotland, checking the rules as to what essential travel is... working out can we do it in a way that’s safe and legal?

"It is just, for us now, about being married, and that’s the big thing, it’s not about the wedding as such.”

She adds: “It’s minus six at the moment which is a lot colder than we were expecting. We were meant to get married in Scotland in January, we bought coats and then sent them back, because it was April... but we had to re-order the coats because it’s looking like snow.”

While there won't be any guests at the wedding, Beth had her hen do in England over the weekend.

"My three best friends came round on Saturday, we sat in the garden under blankets two metres apart under a gazebo, it rained, it was absolutely freezing, but it was brilliant," she says.

Edited by joondalupjambo

Nucky Thompson
6 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

Every time I read something like this i get more and more confused with the rules.  As a pre-read bear in mind I am in Fife and I cannot visit my son in Dundee.

So they travel all that way, across county borders, where are they staying no holiday accommodation is open is it, with friends that is not allowed etc.  Should they not have waited until after the 26th April?

As the rest of England begins to enjoy Monday's easing of restrictions, this couple are on their way to Scotland to get married, after reorganising their wedding four times during the pandemic.

Beth Wheatley, 34, and Dan Gibson, 27, are travelling from Newton-le-Willows, in Merseyside, to the Scottish Highlands for their wedding on Wednesday.

Speaking to BBC Radio 5 Live from a lay-by in South Lanarkshire, Beth says: “It’s been incredibly stressful changing it, this has been the fourth time – the third iteration.

"[We’ve spent] the last few months pouring over not just the law and the guidelines for England where we're from but for Scotland, checking the rules as to what essential travel is... working out can we do it in a way that’s safe and legal?

"It is just, for us now, about being married, and that’s the big thing, it’s not about the wedding as such.”

She adds: “It’s minus six at the moment which is a lot colder than we were expecting. We were meant to get married in Scotland in January, we bought coats and then sent them back, because it was April... but we had to re-order the coats because it’s looking like snow.”

While there won't be any guests at the wedding, Beth had her hen do in England over the weekend.

"My three best friends came round on Saturday, we sat in the garden under blankets two metres apart under a gazebo, it rained, it was absolutely freezing, but it was brilliant," she says.

Go visit your family.

The rules are fecking stupid.

You can go inside a barbers and have someone leaning over you cutting your hair, but you can't travel outside your council area.

My Mrs is down at Haggerston castle and she says it's full of Scottish people.

I'm heading down there on Wednesday after work for a few days. 

I'll calculate my own risks, but I'm sure being in a caravan with my own family is safer than going for a haircut

JudyJudyJudy
16 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Go visit your family.

You can go inside a barbers and have someone leaning over you cutting your hair, but you can't travel outside your council area.

I'll calculate my own risks, but I'm sure being in a caravan with my own family is safer than going for a haircut

I concur. 

Footballfirst
7 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I concur. 

I don't.

1) It encourages people to break the law.   I'm not sure if that is allowed under forum rules.

2) We have a timetable for the relaxation of the restrictions that I expect that the majority of the Scottish population will continue to abide by.  To that extent it is selfish in the same way as the actions of those that have ignored the rules throughout the pandemic may well have led to more infections, hospitalisations and deaths, and ironically delayed the easing of restrictions for everyone.

6 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

I know . Very true . I wax walking on the pavement and a woman was walking towards me and moved very quickly out my way like I was a serial killer or something 😂 dafty . But it’s all very sad how people have now become so paranoid and intolerant of others . 

I suppose everyone has their views on it, but once the adult population has been vaccinated and everything open and back to normal then if people want to stay in the house scared or wear masks everywhere that’s their choice. At that point we should all have the choice to do what we want. We’ve all played ball for over a year 👍

JudyJudyJudy
20 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I don't.

1) It encourages people to break the law.   I'm not sure if that is allowed under forum rules.

2) We have a timetable for the relaxation of the restrictions that I expect that the majority of the Scottish population will continue to abide by.  To that extent it is selfish in the same way as the actions of those that have ignored the rules throughout the pandemic may well have led to more infections, hospitalisations and deaths, and ironically delayed the easing of restrictions for everyone.

I concur about people making their own risk assessment  !! It’s allowed you know . Whether they break the rules that’s their decision . 

Nucky Thompson
10 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I don't.

I'm not breaking the law. 

You are allowed to travel if you have a holiday home that needs essential maintenance.

Once in England, you're allowed to stay over in self contained accommodation.

No laws being broken by me

JudyJudyJudy
20 minutes ago, stevie1874 said:

I suppose everyone has their views on it, but once the adult population has been vaccinated and everything open and back to normal then if people want to stay in the house scared or wear masks everywhere that’s their choice. At that point we should all have the choice to do what we want. We’ve all played ball for over a year 👍

Yes everyone,  like the vast percentage of people have abided by the rules since the beginning . Just watching the news and seeing all the happy  faces down south . However up in misery land it’s the same mantra from the same people , “ cautious “ cautious “ cautious “ . There is virtually no differences in infections rates / deaths etc between both countries but Sturgeon being pig headed and Stubborn as usual . Anything to evidence she had Control and power over the masses and she’s sticking two  fingers up to Johnson . It’s pathetic as it’s people’s livelihoods and physical and mental health that is being used  as a political football . I really hope that Health is taken from the powers of the Scottish parliament due to this fiasco . We should be one country with one response . 

Edited by JamesM48

JudyJudyJudy
3 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I'm not breaking the law. 

You are allowed to travel if you have a holiday home that needs essential maintenance.

Once in England, you're allowed to stay over in self contained accommodation.

No laws being broken by me

👍

jambos are go!
3 hours ago, Gizmo said:

Yet, you appear to be politicizing his reasonable, non-partisan post. Ironic, really, since we've not strayed that far from the joint approach except for adhering more closely to the JCVI recommendations. 

We have 2 examples thus far of vaccination programs + easing of lockdown. Israel's easing of restrictions has went well, Chile not so much. That suggests that timing from vaccination to unlock is critical: https://www.newstatesman.com/world/middle-east/2021/04/why-israel-doing-so-much-better-chile-coming-out-lockdown

No. I am claiming his post was partizan IMO.

Remember when we were all told how Sweden was the model to follow and everything that the UK was doing was wrong. Data today suggests that now the UK has the lowest Covid cases in Europe, and guess who has the highest?

20210412_200007.jpg

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, pablo said:

Remember when we were all told how Sweden was the model to follow and everything that the UK was doing was wrong. Data today suggests that now the UK has the lowest Covid cases in Europe, and guess who has the highest?

20210412_200007.jpg

Yes and we also have the highest vaccination population so thats obviously helping. 

Footballfirst
1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes everyone,  like the vast percentage of people have abided by the rules since the beginning . Just watching the news and seeing all the happy  faces down south . However up in misery land it’s the same mantra from the same people , “ cautious “ cautious “ cautious “ . There is virtually no differences in infections rates / deaths etc between both countries but Sturgeon being pig headed and Stubborn as usual . Anything to evidence she had Control and power over the masses and she’s sticking two  fingers up to Johnson . It’s pathetic as it’s people’s livelihoods and physical and mental health that is being used  as a political football . I really hope that Health is taken from the powers of the Scottish parliament due to this fiasco . We should be one country with one response . 

I'm sure that there were many in England who saw the happy faces in Scotland on 22 February when the youngest kids returned to school and complaining that Johnson was being cautious cautious cautious.

I'm sure that there were many in England who saw the happy faces in Scotland when people were able to play outdoor non contact sports (e.g. golf, tennis) and complaining that Johnson was being cautious cautious cautious.

I'm sure that there were many in England who saw the happy faces up north just last week when hairdressers re-opened and complaining that Johnson was being cautious cautious cautious.

England planning to open indoor hospitality on 17 May.

Scotland planning to open indoor hospitality on ..............   let me check ............ 17 May!

Edited by Footballfirst

JudyJudyJudy
6 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I'm sure that there were many in England who saw the happy faces in Scotland on 22 February when the youngest kids returned to school and complaining that Johnson was being cautious cautious cautious.

I'm sure that there were many in England who saw the happy faces in Scotland when people were able to play outdoor non contact sports (e.g. golf, tennis) and complaining that Johnson was being cautious cautious cautious.

I'm sure that there were many in England who saw the happy faces up north just last week when hairdressers re-opened and complaining that Johnson was being cautious cautious cautious.

Scotland planning to open indoor hospitality on ..............   let me check ............ 17 May!

Point being it should be the same in all of the country not tweaked to score political points by Sturgeon when it suits her . Public health is a U.K. issue and should now be  viewed as thus in any future health related crisis 

Nucky Thompson
6 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I don't have young primary school children or play golf and I have a set of clippers to cut my own hair.

I do have a kid in S3 who won't be going back to school full time until 20th of April, a full 6 weeks after kids her own age went back full time in England.

England are opening hospitality with no curfews, Scotland have to close at 10pm from 26th April and 10.30pm from 17th May, leaving businesses scratching their heads.

Footballfirst
2 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Point being it should be the same in all of the country not tweaked to score political points by Sturgeon when it suits her . Public health is a U.K. issue and should now be  viewed as thus in any future health related crisis 

74% of the Scottish population voted in favour of Devolution  in 1997, and the powers that went with it.

If you think that result should be reversed or that there should be changes to those powers , e.g. by another vote, then I suggest that your post is more appropriate to one of the politics threads.    

7 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

So because Scotland released restrictions before England you get annoyed. And you say you support independence???? As that famous Scottish double positive says Aye Right 

Nucky Thompson
10 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

It would be much better if the UK government 'power grabbed' health issues back from the devolved nations :biggrin2:

I'm fed up being a pawn in Sturgeons political games

15 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Are you saying that each of the 4 nations should no longer have their own NHS? We've had a separate organisation in Scotland ever since the NHS was created.

Edited by redjambo

Seymour M Hersh
11 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

It would be much better if the UK government 'power grabbed' health issues back from the devolved nations :biggrin2:

In this situation, the pandemic, and imo, all the response should have been centralised from London with one set of rules, regulations, advice and so on coming out for the entire UK. Obviously with involvement from the devolved health services, scientists and politicians. But one voice from Westminster. 

JudyJudyJudy
19 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Yep 

2 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

In this situation, the pandemic, and imo, all the response should have been centralised from London with one set of rules, regulations, advice and so on coming out for the entire UK. Obviously with involvement from the devolved health services, scientists and politicians. But one voice from Westminster. 

Yes perfectly summed up . It’s been used as a political football by England and Scotland but certainly more by Scotland 

9 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Go visit your family.

And so it begins. Again. 

3 minutes ago, heartstastic said:

photo_2021-04-13_03-36-50.jpg

A different argument. I agree, we have plenty of food on this planet. But still, a different argument. 

6 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Yep 

Yes perfectly summed up . It’s been used as a political football by England and Scotland but certainly more by Scotland 

You're right James, Scotland with less deaths should have let Boris kill more. 👍

Don't ever say you are an independence supporter ever again. 

Oh and you should get Nucky to pick you up, unless pets aren't allowed on his Traveller's site. 

Nucky Thompson
3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Traveller's site. 

It's a holiday park, one of the biggest in the North.

4 pubs, 5 restaurants, swimming pools, horse riding and loads of other entertainment.

Hardly a traveler's site :thumbsup:

4 hours ago, heartstastic said:

photo_2021-04-13_03-36-50.jpg

They're not mutually exclusive.

It is what I've struggled with thoughts, the 'why' people suddenly care when they didn't before. I put it down to people caring because it may effect them and people closer to home. Interestingly the people who now care throw out lines about people being selfish etc yet I've never heard a peep out of them before about folk dying from hunger. 

They've opened up Covid vaccinations to everyone over 45 this morning. You can book online.

Not sure if it applies in Scotland or not yet.

1 minute ago, pablo said:

They've opened up Covid vaccinations to everyone over 45 this morning. You can book online.

only england

2 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

only england

Still....quite positive in the grand scheme of things.

With outside hospitality reopening yesterday and today's news on the over 45 vaccinations, I'm a bit envious of our English chums. Hopefully we'll not be far behind.

18 minutes ago, pablo said:

I believe some under 50s outside of key risk groups are now getting their letters through, but it's dependent on health board based on the supplies they have available.

Scotland is still going down the approach that we contact you with an appointment rather than self- serve.

Not sure at what nation, health board level but I believe there is also likely to be a round of calling non attendees ahead of the formal start of Phase 2.

England has now declared that all 50+ and key risk groups has been offered a first dose.  They have also certainly made great strides in their take up rates (last week 50-59 yo take was running at mid 80s per cent)

I'm still a wee bit unsure on EVERYONE offered being correct and there will still be cases of 'welI I haven't' due to admin errors for a variety of reasons.

Perhaps @Jamboj1is happy to give an update on the Scottish position.

Edited by DETTY29

JudyJudyJudy
14 minutes ago, LMc said:

Called it 😏

In other words gyms will be opened up ! Great ! However my “mental health and well being “ would be helped by getting plastered in the pub 😂 listening to the juke box 

Dennis Reynolds
3 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

In other words gyms will be opened up ! Great ! However my “mental health and well being “ would be helped by getting plastered in the pub 😂 listening to the juke box 

Same! 😂 I've not seen the inside of a gym in far too long....

JudyJudyJudy
14 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

74% of the Scottish population voted in favour of Devolution  in 1997, and the powers that went with it.

If you think that result should be reversed or that there should be changes to those powers , e.g. by another vote, then I suggest that your post is more appropriate to one of the politics threads.    

Its related to covid so its relevant to this thread.  Your a right one for pointing out rules / procedures etc. Mr  rule book. 

14 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

exactly

14 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

exactly

JudyJudyJudy
7 hours ago, ri Alban said:

You're right James, Scotland with less deaths should have let Boris kill more. 👍

Don't ever say you are an independence supporter ever again. 

Oh and you should get Nucky to pick you up, unless pets aren't allowed on his Traveller's site. 

LOL you always brighten my day up with your savage comments. Mee owwwwwww....its not a travellers site..stop being snooty..Not like you.  And one can support Independence and not be aw that keen on Nicola . They are not mutually exclusive however she would lead the proletariat to think so just to create more division. 

JudyJudyJudy
32 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Any easing of restrictions would be most welcome. Not convinced we will see anything significant. Gyms would be most good (even though can’t train at moment) but think it might be more people being allowed to meet or something.

@JamesM48 you decided if your getting jabbed up?

Hi Lord BJ.  Funny you should ask that as I have my appointment this afternoon. I have woke up with blocked nose and feeling cold. ! But thats nothing new for me so Ill just soldier on and take it like a man ...the jab.    Yes I may as well get it as I already take quite strong meds anyway so whats the problem with some more ?  . As i had said last week I am more resistant to top ups of the jab in the future though but recognize they may become necessary.    Hopefully I wont have too much side effects  I get the yearly flu jab and I rarely have side effects from this.  Thanks for asking. 

JudyJudyJudy
3 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Well I’m sure it’s not the first time you’ve taken it like a man 😉

Hope it all goes smoothly this afternoon, I’m  certain it will. As you say some more drugs in the scheme thing ain’t that big a deal and if it helps get back to normal. All the better. 👍

Well I’m sure it’s not the first time you’ve taken it like a man 😉  No its not my first time at the rodeo..........  :) 

Yeah and least I can say I have done my bit to get things back to normal too and Im full of drugs anyway ...more so at weekends.... :) 

220px-Charles_Hawtrey_1971.jpg

12 hours ago, heartstastic said:

A video from ex policeman and crime writer author Mark Sexton. Wakey wakey everyone this is not about a virus.

https://www.bitchute.com/video/TluzJC7wLASP/

I'm failing to see his credentials as an epidemiologist or virologist. No doubt, though, you share stuff berating Bill Gates for "lacking medical qualifications". 

Disappointingly its just a rant about lockdowns with an edge of mumping about the Police having to enforce the temporary laws - and some conspiracy crap about them supporting tyranny blah blah.

Didn't seem to stop plod when they were kettling that womens' peaceful vigil. 

Edited by Gizmo

JudyJudyJudy
3 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

We need more taking it like a man imo.

I have always advocated that. 

JudyJudyJudy
3 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Johnson and Johnson vaccine suspended in US, due to blood clot concerns. 

The fish is on just now. From Friday you can travel where you want and 6 people from 6 households can meet. I think the tier system will go and we will be treated as single coming out, 

You will be able to travel to rest of U.K. from 26th April. 4 nation approach will be taken to international travel.

She relatively optimistic in tone basically saying by the summer we should be back to normal and level 0 gone. Obviously the usual cautious messaging. 

Awe so no gyms opened ? Damn.  People were travelling about anyway. So no big deal. 

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Nope and indeed. 

Yes she obviously doesn't get out much. The meadows and other parks have been packed for months at the weekends with mainly people enjoying themselves.   The ban on overnight stays will be ignored too. What a waste of a briefing really. Ok I didnt expect pubs to be opened and dont really care just now but had hoped gyms and cafes would be opened sooner. I miss a decent coffee and prepared food. 

Governor Tarkin
3 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I have always advocated that. 

4 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

You would know about that after the last couple of months. 

Hopefully your back on land and things are going to plan👍

Correct. You're not a man 'till you've had a man imo.

Arrived ashore late yesterday. Currently laying low in Luanda nursing a horrific hangover. The local generic fizzy piss is not very good. :(

JudyJudyJudy
12 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Correct. You're not a man 'till you've had a man imo.

Arrived ashore late yesterday. Currently laying low in Luanda nursing a horrific hangover. The local generic fizzy piss is not very good. :(

👍🤣

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic