Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

25 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Nothing to do with letting folk do as the want. But let's crash the economy. Cause that's no gonnae kill anyone.

Carrying on as normal is 500,000 deaths in UK according to the scientists. 

The whole construction industry shambles is symptomatic of how dysfunctional the country is for critical emergency planning.     The threat of legal action (real or perceived) from powerful big business severely compromising what had to be done.

the brazilian president is doing a trump

As Brazil's largest city - São Paulo - goes into lockdown, President Jair Bolsonaro has continued to downplay the threat of coronavirus.

In a televised speech last night, he criticised the media for "fear-mongering" and called on the country's mayor and governors to roll back restrictions in place to curb the spread.

He stressed the country would not experience an outbreak similar to Italy's because of Brazil's warmer climate and younger population.

Mr Bolsonaro added that people aged over 60 were at risk, but most people - including himself - had nothing to fear.

"With my history as an athlete, if I were infected with the virus, I would have no reason to worry, I would feel nothing, or it would be at most just a little flu," he said.

Critics of Mr Bolsonaro have accused him of a cavalier attitude to coronavirus.

Concerns have also been raised about him having possibly contracted the disease. Over the last couple of weeks, 22 officials who joined in him on a trip to the US have tested positive. Mr Bolsonaro has twice said that his test came back negative, but he has refused to release the results.

Over 2,200 infections have been reported in Brazil, along with 46 deaths related to coronavirus.

7 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Voted Labour all my life. Until Corbyn.

Guess where my vote went instead.

Nobody, as your wife was going to vote Brexit party, you were going to vote conservative, so didn’t bother as each vote would cancel the other out?  

1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

Carrying on as normal is 500,000 deaths in UK according to the scientists. 

Which,   even as a byproduct consequence,   means profound problems with all the normally necessary administration related to deaths.    Death certificates,   registering deaths,   the 'one stop shop' system of notifying all agencies,   enacting wills,   executing estates intestate.    Total meltdown.   

Good little piece on Rory Lawson, ex rugby captain, 39, about his experience of Covid 19 (on bbc sport site.) I expect he's still in good shape but wouldn't have been surprised to be hospitalized. 

highlandjambo3
1 hour ago, Victorian said:

Meant to say,   there was a full page ad in a paper yesterday for holidays of a lifetime to India.   In June.   :D

India is great.....been a few times and, before I went for the first time, somebody once told me if I went once I’d go back and you know what, they were right.  Maybe not this year though 😬

2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Which,   even as a byproduct consequence,   means profound problems with all the normally necessary administration related to deaths.    Death certificates,   registering deaths,   the 'one stop shop' system of notifying all agencies,   enacting wills,   executing estates intestate.    Total meltdown.   

then add to that what jobs those people did. say 5000 were doctors that would be a massive extra strain on the NHS. or say police then same strain on policing etc

British lad on the news.   Stranded in El Salvador.    Not my 1st choice of location to be if things get nasty.     

1 minute ago, milky_26 said:

then add to that what jobs those people did. say 5000 were doctors that would be a massive extra strain on the NHS. or say police then same strain on policing etc

Indeed.   Albeit the majority wont be working people in key areas.    As you say,   even some thousands of NHS,  police and some other key areas will cause problems.

I see that some cancer patients have had their chemotherapy treatment programmes interupted.    Imagine the multi-layered turmoil for them and their families.

1 hour ago, graygo said:

I've read lots of articles about vaccines and treatments, 12-18 months for vaccines and treatments within the next few months.

What is it you're hoping for?

The lockdown is indeed to try to drop infection rates but that's to ease the pressure on the health services not as an exit plan.

What I would hope for in an ideal world is ultimately an effective treatment for it. But in the not ideal real world we live in I don't have much confidence in that happening.

If you take the flu vaccine as an example it has a variable year to year efficacy rate. Varying from just 10% effective to at best 60%. The 2018 efficacy was just 29% while 2019 isn't yet clear.

I fear that at the end of the day this virus and it's fatality rate may be something we just have to learn to live with. And perhaps also live with the entire population requiring a vaccination every year to try to keep the infection rates down as much as possible.

5 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

What I would hope for in an ideal world is ultimately an effective treatment for it. But in the not ideal real world we live in I don't have much confidence in that happening.

If you take the flu vaccine as an example it has a variable year to year efficacy rate. Varying from just 10% effective to at best 60%. The 2018 efficacy was just 29% while 2019 isn't yet clear.

I fear that at the end of the day this virus and it's fatality rate may be something we just have to learn to live with. And perhaps also live with the entire population requiring a vaccination every year to try to keep the infection rates down as much as possible.

Flu as we keep being told is a completely different virus and it mutates regularly, there is no evidence that I am aware of that says Coronavirus does the same. Obviously too early to know for certain.

Why are you not confident of an effective treatment for it when all the evidence and information says that they are at an advanced stage of having it available?

Prince Charles has Covid 19. 

Wish folk would stop calling it the coronavirus Tbh. Quite confusing as when I read it I thought he could have any virus from that group and someone was trying to big up their story. 

Edited by AlimOzturk

7 minutes ago, Victorian said:

BBC Royal Correspondent says that Charles had been "working from home".

That home being Balmoral. I thought it was on the news the other day that people with second homes in the Highlands shouldn't go there to ride out the lockdown.

:kirk:

Edited by fancy a brew

Just now, graygo said:

Flu as we keep being told is a completely different virus and it mutates regularly, there is no evidence that I am aware of that says Coronavirus does the same. Obviously too early to know for certain.

Why are you not confident of an effective treatment for it when all the evidence and information says that they are at an advanced stage of having it available?

Because every actual expert I have seen speak of it said there was no way around the 12 to 18 months time span to develop and have a vaccine available for widespread distribution. So we may need to live with this for at least a year before any vaccine becomes available in bulk.

As for effectiveness when a vaccine does come we will have no idea till we have it.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
47 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Voted Labour all my life. Until Corbyn.

Guess where my vote went instead.

Hitler.

So Prince Charles thought he'd escape to the Balmoral... and now is putting pressure on Scottish resources.

Good riddance to him.

7 minutes ago, fancy a brew said:

That home being Balmoral. I thought it was on the news the other day that people with second homes in the Highlands shouldn't go there to ride out the lockdown.

:kirk:

:D

Outraged people already out-outraging each other that Charles and Camilla were given tests.    

12 hours ago, kila said:

Enough clowns look up to Trump over there that it might make a difference though. He’s doing the opposite and essentially wanting business as usual and if folk die in the name of the Dow so be it.

That’s a very good point, Kila.  Hadn’t quite thought of it in that way.

12 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Prince Charles has Covid 19. 

Wish folk would stop calling it the coronavirus Tbh. Quite confusing as when I read it I thought he could have any virus from that group and someone was trying to big up their story. 

:wtf:

Before you reply, yes I know the difference.

21 minutes ago, graygo said:

Being confident and reality are two different things.  There have been people working effortlessly for the last 20 odd year to make an effective vaccine for the other coronaviruses.  That particular group of viruses are notoriously difficult to pin down a vaccine for. I have no idea why, but I'll take the word of those people who have dedicated their life to it.

I'd like to see a link that backs up your claim that they are at an advanced stage.  Advanced stage on the first stage of testing or advanced as in it will be done and ready in a few months?  I suspect it's the former.  The only person that has ever stated it's at such a stage regarding availability is Trump and his Fox News mouth pieces. No one else. Drug and vaccine trials have a 94% failure rate according to everyone who has spoken out about this.  Hell, many treatments, drugs and vaccines that do seem initially promising turn out to be duds.  How many times have we heard/read about "OMFG, scientists discover new wonder drug that will all but end many cancer ..." only to never hear about these drugs ever again?  What works in rats etc mostly won't work in humans due to the cellular differences in both hosts. Even if this vaccine works in those fast tracked human trials, they have to wait months upon months before doling it out.  They rushed the SARS vaccine out and that made the virus 10 times worse. They didn't know because they didn't follow the appropriate wait and see hiatus.

Edited by BlackJAC?

Francis Albert
56 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Liberal Democrat?

Green Party.

Climate Change is a vastly more serious issue than Coronavirus and will make deaths from the current pandemic look trivial. Yet the issue was pretty much ignored by other parties while the five year obsession with the (relatively)  even more trivial issue of Brexit rolled on.

So I am with Greta but that doesn't mean she isn't a spoilt over-indulged  brat. As I know disabled people are very capable of being.

Edited by Francis Albert

8 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Meanwhile 

He was tested because he's over 70 and therefore in the at greater risk category.

4 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

But my FB page is littered with people posting pictures of anti bacterial wipes and sprays because it contains the words " kills coronavirus" and assume this is nothing new. So why the big deal.

2 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Green Party.

Climate Change is a vastly more serious issue than Coronavirus and will make deaths from the current pandemic look trivial. Yet the issue was pretty much ignored by other parties while the five year obsession with the (relatively)  even more trivial issue of Brexit rolled on.

Yes and they should be getting their shit in order but it is not overwhelming healthcare systems across the globe right now.

Francis Albert
1 minute ago, vegas-voss said:

Yes and they should be getting their shit in order but it is not overwhelming healthcare systems across the globe right now.

And of course I didn't say it was. 

3 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

He was tested because he's over 70 and therefore in the at greater risk category.

They are testing every over 70 who is in that category? I presume Prince Charles is in hospital in a more serious way like everyone else who gets tested.

Otherwise, the elite having their cake and eating it as usual.

Apologies if discussed since the why the helicopter up and about bit it has been flying over craigmillar, niddrie, southside just now.

Ive been for a wander and its quiet but there are certainly a small handful of groups of 3 or 4 mingling and while queuing outside chemist far too many not safe distancing albeit there could be carers, service users.

Could be a number of reasons why a helicopter in the air but checking out for groups of folk congregating on larger numbers would be a possibility to then instruct police cars where to go.

Suppose Charles is high risk.

How can you safe distance when you have been dressed, washed, teeth cleaned and arse wiped by others all your life.

Edited by DETTY29

17 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

What is the difference?

My understanding was that Sars-cov 2 was the virus that leads/can lead to covid19 the disease?

I've lost track a bit of the terminology.

Edited by Taffin

Im ambivalent to royal family but i must admit to having prince charles the focus of the news must be highly offensive to the hundreds of thousands facing real hardship

6 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

How can you safe distance when you have been dressed, washed, teeth cleaned and arse wiped by others all your life.

:laugh:

John Findlay
5 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

He really hasn't. Like cancer and other diseases it doesnt discriminate unlikexmany posters.

33 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Because every actual expert I have seen speak of it said there was no way around the 12 to 18 months time span to develop and have a vaccine available for widespread distribution. So we may need to live with this for at least a year before any vaccine becomes available in bulk.

As for effectiveness when a vaccine does come we will have no idea till we have it.

A vaccine and a treatment are 2 completely different things mate.

Just now, JFK-1 said:

Thats not the criteria 

19 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

He really hasn't. Like cancer and other diseases it doesnt discriminate unlikexmany posters.

Christ John it was a gag.

Anyone who touches notably their eyes and nose with their hands which have been in contact with a contaminated area are at risk of catching it.

Edit - however what it does show as you say that it has no prejudices.  I'm no royalists but hope he doesn't get it too seriously, recovers and minimises the chances of others catching it.  Royal or not he is still a human being.

Hey, and by him catching it may even make a few more folk who are trying to convince themselves that they are a key worker when they are far from it, to stay at home.

Edited by DETTY29

26 minutes ago, BlackJAC? said:

Being confident and reality are two different things.  There have been people working effortlessly for the last 20 odd year to make an effective vaccine for the other coronaviruses.  That particular group of viruses are notoriously difficult to pin down a vaccine for. I have no idea why, but I'll take the word of those people who have dedicated their life to it.

I'd like to see a link that backs up your claim that they are at an advanced stage.  Advanced stage on the first stage of testing or advanced as in it will be done and ready in a few months?  I suspect it's the former.  The only person that has ever stated it's at such a stage regarding availability is Trump and his Fox News mouth pieces. No one else. Drug and vaccine trials have a 94% failure rate according to everyone who has spoken out about this.  Hell, many treatments, drugs and vaccines that do seem initially promising turn out to be duds.  How many times have we heard/read about "OMFG, scientists discover new wonder drug that will all but end many cancer ..." only to never hear about these drugs ever again?  What works in rats etc mostly won't work in humans due to the cellular differences in both hosts. Even if this vaccine works in those fast tracked human trials, they have to wait months upon months before doling it out.  They rushed the SARS vaccine out and that made the virus 10 times worse. They didn't know because they didn't follow the appropriate wait and see hiatus.

Again, vaccines and a treatment are different things. I never mentioned a vaccine, I'm well aware that is probably the best part of 2 years away.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic