Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

3 minutes ago, Locky said:

Helicopter flying around Musselburgh for the last half hour or so. It looks like it was over Prestonpans/Pinkie for a bit, then circled round over towards Dalkeith and has just come back round again. Probably checking for mass gatherings. Mental times.

There were reports of people exercising in Prestonpans on here earlier! Could be connected...

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Spellczech said:

There were reports of people exercising in Prestonpans on here earlier! Could be connected...

Sickening.

4 minutes ago, Locky said:

Helicopter flying around Musselburgh for the last half hour or so. It looks like it was over Prestonpans/Pinkie for a bit, then circled round over towards Dalkeith and has just come back round again. Probably checking for mass gatherings. Mental times.

Something happened in whitecraig and nothing to do with mass gatherings 

3 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

As  a Londoner I think this is the biggest load of crap I have read on this thread. And wow is that saying something. 

Glasgow is the epicentre in  Scotland. But Is anyone saying the Scottish government should get hold of Glasgow?

As you are a Londoner your reply is nothing more than I'd expect

It's not personal but I'm sorry this government is too scared of what dear old London thinks it is failing the rest of us

You won't like it but the stats are clear and London needs to do more or be forced to do more

Saw a great video from Brazil earlier of a police chopper flying down the beach blowing sand on everybody to clear them out.

Been waiting on this one...

Greta Thunberg believes she had coronavirus

Teenage climate activist Greta Thunberg has said it was “extremely likely” that she fell ill with coronavirus but has now recovered.

The 17-year-old said she felt “tired, had shivers, a sore throat and coughed” after returning from a trip in Europe, so self-isolated for two weeks.

“Everyone feeling ill are told to stay at home and isolate themselves. I have therefore not been tested for Covid-19, but it’s extremely likely that I’ve had it, given the combined symptoms and circumstances," she wrote on Instagram.

She warned people to stay at home because “our actions can be the difference between life and death” for others.

3 minutes ago, theshed said:

Something happened in whitecraig and nothing to do with mass gatherings 

Spill?

Wasn't just hovering around that area though. My flat window looks straight East and it was a mile or 2 away in that direction I'd estimate, which would be roughly the pans.

1 hour ago, CJGJ said:

Until this government gets a hold on London nothing will change

It is the centre of the UK's outbreak but because Boris and co are to scared to upset those good old Londoners they are failing us all

Just look at the pictures to day re building sites..people just walking around side by side as if nothing had happened.

The tube transport with no space to isolate whilst travelling

Businesses claiming to be essential still open and as a result making sure other linked offices in the UK have to stay open

What a joke and its passed the time where Boris can claim he's trying to slow the spread

The individuals are not to blame on the whole but I would not want to live in London at this time..it should be closed for inbound and outbound travel

You've never come across as the brightest but you've excelled yourself this time. I really hope you never have to watch the anguish and pain I've seen today.  There are some ****ing ***** on this forum.

Francis Albert
1 minute ago, CJGJ said:

As you are a Londoner your reply is nothing more than I'd expect

It's not personal but I'm sorry this government is too scared of what dear old London thinks it is failing the rest of us

You won't like it but the stats are clear and London needs to do more or be forced to do more

London is in fact one of Labour's srongest sources of support and seats in the country. I am not sure why the Government should be so scared of London in particular.

Some proper apocalyptic stuff happening around various places in the world.      Just imagine the shit ahead in places of less than stable rule of law.    Stuff like that can become as contagious as the virus.

We've probably got the Italy and Spain situation ahead.   Very soon.    But hey.... gotta have a barbeque.    Gotta stay open for business against the law and all sanity.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-52010073

Five and a half weeks since the first confirmed case of Covid-19 in London, the number of cases in the capital was approaching 2,500 on Monday and deaths there made up a third of the UK total.

The BBC asked epidemiologists to look at data provided by Public Health England. They drew these conclusions.

Presentational white space

1. Further measures are likely to be needed to halt the epidemic in London

The fact that the number of confirmed cases in the capital has been doubling every two or three days is cause for alarm, the experts say.

"The line for London going up in that exponential way is an indication that the epidemic is out of control," says Prof Eric Brunner of University College London.

"On this accelerated part of the curve you need to do everything you can to reduce contact between people that is not absolutely essential," says Dr Gary Slutkin, who led the WHO programme on the Aids crisis in the 1990s.

Both Prof Brunner and Dr Slutkin back tough measures to enforce social distancing, of the kind Prime Minister Boris Johnson announced on Monday evening.

But Prof Brunner points out that sanctions are still not being applied to people leaving their homes as strictly as they are in Italy.

"It is still not clear what the reasons are for that," he says. "Perhaps that is so they can avoid a formal state of emergency and so they don't alienate the population. But the behaviour of a population has to change very, very fast to prevent this epidemic becoming a disaster."

On a more positive note, Dr Slutkin adds: "It is very, very encouraging that if you do it very well, new cases do stop."

The statistics we have are for confirmed cases, the unconfirmed cases are impossible to count. But could these numbers offer a small glimmer of light?

On Monday 16 March, when there were 480 confirmed Covid-19 cases in the capital, this number doubled in two days. It was the same on Tuesday 17 March. But it took four days for the 1,221 cases registered on Thursday 19 March to double, reaching yesterday's total of 2,443.

Dr Michael Head of the University of Southampton says it's too early to say whether this was the result of earlier measures to encourage social distancing, or just "natural variation".

"We will see bumps in the grass on the way up and the way down," he says. "With any big change it can take a while to filter through to the data. It's very much, 'Watch this space.'"

2. The rest of the country is some distance behind London

The reason the curve is steeper in London than elsewhere is that it has "more people, more interactions" says Dr Slutkin. The virus may also have arrived in London earlier, he says.

In densely populated areas, says Dr Head, there are a larger number of "clearly defined contacts" - for example people seated less than 2m apart in restaurants and pubs. All of the 20 most densely populated districts in England are in Greater London.

The fact that more people travel into and out of London from abroad or from other parts of the UK will also have contributed to the epidemic in the city, he says.

On the other hand, he doesn't think public transport in the capital is likely to have been a major contributing factor "due to the relatively short time periods of being in close proximity to an infected person" while travelling.

Prof Brunner thinks other parts of the country appear to be a week or so behind London.

And Dr Head draws attention to Wales, where the number of cases has begun to increase more steeply than in other parts of the UK.

"The UK is two weeks behind Italy and it's possible that Wales could be a week behind London. It's something to keep an eye on," he says.

3. Don't read too much into differences between boroughs

The first confirmed case in London was recorded on 13 February, when a woman who had recently returned from China went to Lewisham Hospital in the back of an Uber.

Five weeks on and London is a totally different city - with life virtually on hold.

Seven boroughs now have more than 100 confirmed cases - Southwark (154), Brent (143), Lambeth (134), Westminster (134), Harrow (113), Wandsworth (113), and Ealing (106).

Measured by cases per 100,000 inhabitants, the borough with the biggest problem is Kensington and Chelsea with 54.4 cases per 100,000 people followed by Westminster on 52.5 and Southwark on 48.5.

Kensington and Chelsea had the highest number of cases early in the outbreak. Prof Brunner says he has heard the rumour that some of these cases, and others across the capital, resulted from people returning from skiing holidays in northern Italy - but he says this is speculation.

Dr Head argues against reading too much into the differences between London boroughs at this stage in the epidemic. He says the numbers can be expected to fluctuate as the outbreak continues.

4. Hospital beds are not evenly distributed

One study, which has yet to be endorsed by other experts in the field, suggests the NHS's 4,132 critical care beds for adults and 312 for children could be filled by Covid-19 patients in a week.

Another study, also not yet peer-reviewed, points out that the UK's hospital beds are not evenly distributed across the country and that there are potential "hospital deserts" - it mentions the Isle of Wight and Powys in Wales as examples.

In London it says a pressure point could be the borough of Harrow, where there is a higher than average number of beds per person - but also a higher number of older people, who are likely to be more seriously affected by Covid-19.

The borough of Newham, by contrast, has far fewer hospital beds per person, but the average age is much lower, so its hospitals are considered less likely to become "overburdened".

The authors say a "critical incident" declared at Northwick Park Hospital in Harrow on Thursday, when it ran out of intensive care beds, was a realisation of their prediction, but they also point out that in urban areas it is easier to move patients to other hospitals.

Francis Albert
7 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Teenage climate activist Greta Thunberg has said it was “extremely likely” that she fell ill with coronavirus but has now recovered.

The 17-year-old said she felt “tired, had shivers, a sore throat and coughed” after returning from a trip in Europe, so self-isolated for two weeks.

“Everyone feeling ill are told to stay at home and isolate themselves. I have therefore not been tested for Covid-19, but it’s extremely likely that I’ve had it, given the combined symptoms and circumstances," she wrote on Instagram.

She warned people to stay at home because “our actions can be the difference between life and death” for others.

Confirms my opinion.of her as an egotistical.self publicist. 

2 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Or... had a mild c19.

4 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

You've never come across as the brightest but you've excelled yourself this time. I really hope you never have to watch the anguish and pain I've seen today.  There are some ****ing ***** on this forum.

Clearly a bit brighter than you given I am not in denial about the realities

I knew we'd hear denial from those in the south east but you are simply acting like an ostrich...read below and like it or not that is the picture

Of course you may know better than them but I doubt it

The BBC asked epidemiologists to look at data provided by Public Health England. They drew these conclusions.

Presentational white space

1. Further measures are likely to be needed to halt the epidemic in London

The fact that the number of confirmed cases in the capital has been doubling every two or three days is cause for alarm, the experts say.

"The line for London going up in that exponential way is an indication that the epidemic is out of control," says Prof Eric Brunner of University College London.

"On this accelerated part of the curve you need to do everything you can to reduce contact between people that is not absolutely essential," says Dr Gary Slutkin, who led the WHO programme on the Aids crisis in the 1990s.

Both Prof Brunner and Dr Slutkin back tough measures to enforce social distancing, of the kind Prime Minister Boris Johnson announced on Monday evening.

But Prof Brunner points out that sanctions are still not being applied to people leaving their homes as strictly as they are in Italy.

Just now, Zlatanable said:

Life is now watching the numbers of the dead.

The new legislation includes what I prefer to call bulk management of the deceased.     An undertaker's holiday.

3 hours ago, kila said:

It was a DIY attempt was it not? Ffs

yeah looks like it. After Trump went on TV and said this stuff was a cure....

it’s not a nice drug taken without proper guidance - medical advice should always be taken and not that of some weetabix haired weirdo

24 minutes ago, Locky said:

Yeah seen that too.

Malinga the Swinga
19 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

In Scotland, we would call what she had a Sniffle. She falls out of news for a wee while and boom, it's look at me time. Pathetic behaviour from an attention seeking child.

1 minute ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

In Scotland, we would call what she had a Sniffle. She falls out of news for a wee while and boom, it's look at me time. Pathetic behaviour from an attention seeking child.

I feel sorry for her, a mouth piece for adults whi know they'd not get the column inches and screen time that an autistic child would, cynical child manipulation, you've only to see her when she's asked questions she's not been prep'd for, it's embarrassing and sad.

With each passing day, the more the US is taking a "hit me with your best shot" approach 😂  Trump back to his influenza comparisons.  I had assumed most folk were past that stage now.  But there we have it, arguably the most powerful person on the planet playing to the money men.

Francis Albert
15 minutes ago, Victorian said:

If London's growth is accelerating significantly faster than the standard model... well.     That's just horrifying.

What is the standard model?

6 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Edinburgh has its own.  That lassie that won the lottery that can't go a month without announcing her next major life event.  Like breaking a nail.

Malinga the Swinga
6 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

Trump live, 

that doctor bloke that has been missing is back. 

edit - after that Cuomo press briefing earlier.

Just finished watching the Trump speak. The man is a credit to ****ing halfwits everywhere and a beacon to stupidity. Where we see doctors begging for help, the Governor of New York stating they desperately need 30,000 ventilators, and Orange face is yelping about opening up the country.

What an imbecile.

17 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

For Christ’s sake - maybe for you it is. 

Does it really matter what she wrote on her social media account? :laugh:

Surely everyone is writing something similar. It's only folk who choose to follow her that would read it, until the MSM picks up on it and makes a story out of nothing.

Francis Albert
23 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Sorry I will correct that. Manipulated by others mainly.

been here before
41 minutes ago, Locky said:

And the hysteria begins.

Malinga the Swinga
25 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

It really is not. Thousands more recovering and asymptomatic of Corona. Do you sit and watch numbers of people who die from cancer or road accidents every day. Suggest you watch a comedy show and get your mind of crisis.

1 minute ago, been here before said:

And the hysteria begins.

Meaning? The comments on Twitter about it are worse. Could've been easily following a stolen car, I know, but unless that car can get from Prestonpans to Dalkeith in about 5 minutes...

been here before
Just now, Locky said:

Meaning? The comments on Twitter about it are worse. Could've been easily following a stolen car, I know, but unless that car can get from Prestonpans to Dalkeith in about 5 minutes...

Meaning being that thinking a helicopter being used in Musselburgh to check for "mass gatherings" is hysterical.

Malinga the Swinga
6 minutes ago, Cade said:

If Thunberg takes an antibody test that comes back positive then that'll shut you all up, right?

Do you think she will take one? What did her attention seeking post actually add to situation?

1 minute ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

It really is not. Thousands more recovering and asymptomatic of Corona. Do you sit and watch numbers of people who die from cancer or road accidents every day. Suggest you watch a comedy show and get your mind of crisis.

His claim isn't so outlandish when you consider every ****ing media outlet run with death figures as their main headline. It's hard to miss unless you're switched of from the net or the TV. They're rammed down our throats day in, day out. 

11 minutes ago, Morgan said:

For Christ’s sake - maybe for you it is. 

4 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

:spoton:

Having seen some fleshed out advice re what constitutes essential travel to work,    I'm furious about that shitshow earlier from the boss.     I wont be forgetting that,   or hurrying back.     This goes on past 3 weeks.     There is no way on earth or in heaven they can validate people going back to 'normality' in 3 weeks.      A supercharged mass release of ****wits from their nae bbqs for 3 weeks hell?    

No.    That's just not happening.

Edited by Victorian

been here before
Just now, Malinga the Swinga said:

Do you think she will take one? What did her attention seeking post actually add to situation?

Most probably she's buzzing about in an electric helicopter over East Lothian looking for a cure. Mental times.

1 minute ago, been here before said:

Meaning being that thinking a helicopter being used in Musselburgh to check for "mass gatherings" is hysterical.

Is it? Why else would a helicopter be circling around East Lothian and Midlothian at 8pm? Might be an isolate incident, but surely the helicopter is quite a good idea? It can cover ground and see what it would take 6 patrol cars to see.

1 minute ago, Zlatanable said:

Are you watching this Trump address to the nation?

Do you think it has been clear enough of the incoming danger

Trump is an arsehole, ignore him.

Malinga the Swinga

Are you watching this Trump address to the nation?

Do you think it has been clear enough of the incoming danger

Already posted thoughts on him. Other than his fanatical followers (and there are a couple on here), no one thinks he is spreading the right message

Fire_At_The_Disco

I spoke to a flying officer medic who works in London today, they have been told to make preparations for 17 weeks minimum. 

been here before
2 minutes ago, Locky said:

Is it? Why else would a helicopter be circling around East Lothian and Midlothian at 8pm? Might be an isolate incident, but surely the helicopter is quite a good idea? It can cover ground and see what it would take 6 patrol cars to see.

No you're right. The only reason a heicopter would be dodging about costal areas is looking for "mass gatherings".

There could be no other rational reasoning at all.

Malinga the Swinga
2 minutes ago, Locky said:

Give them a call and ask them to head down to London. Seems there is a lot of gatherings down there.

3 minutes ago, Locky said:

Missing person search?

2 minutes ago, been here before said:

No you're right. The only reason a heicopter would be dodging about costal areas is looking for "mass gatherings".

There could be no other rational reasoning at all.

That well known coastal town, Dalkeith.

Malinga the Swinga

I am becoming really concerned about the people in USA watching this. 

Why are you so concerned for people you don't know and to be blunt, couldn't care less what you think. They elected him and it is up to them to decide if they should do so again in a few months.

We might all, give or take a couple of his fans, think he is a dozy twat, but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Malinga the Swinga
Just now, Zlatanable said:

In the matter of this global pandemic, stay indoors.

Not sure why you are quoting this post, but fair enough, stay indoors. If you are lucky enough to have a garden, and this weather ever gets better, then go and sit there. 

been here before
11 minutes ago, Locky said:

1 hour ago, Locky said:

4 minutes ago, Locky said:

That well known coastal town, Dalkeith.

That well know coastal area of Musselburgh and East Lothian.

Is your hysteria making you forget what you've typed?

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic