Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

For me it's interesting and potentially dangerous to theorise that half the country may have had it.    If such a thing was publicised widely enough and gained enough traction,    it would certainly ease a lot of anxiety.    People could theorise themselves that the odds of them ever getting a severe case would be pretty long.    It might lead people to believe that it will not be long until the vast majority have had it.    But that will certainly cause complacency.    Pretty dangerous if the original theory turns out to be inaccurate.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jambof3tornado
1 hour ago, hughesie27 said:

Are they even priority testing the healthcare workers yet though?

No. I know both a gp and an icu doctor who are self isolating without testing plus an ambulance college who had to self isolate after his wifes work college returned from abroad into the office wity symptoms who then tested positive. He had mild symptoms last week, yet still no test 

8 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Not sure why antibody test breaking now. Was announced by Hancock yesterday,

The test was only recently developed and is now going into mass production, to scale up to 3.5M so quickly is quite impressive. I assume they will continue to scale up to enable mass production and distribution,  

The antibody test should enable us to restart some normality. 

If it's available to buy I think 100m will be needed.

Jambo-Jimbo
53 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

I posted a link yesterday to scientists in Winnipeg who claim they have treatment for this, and will be ready to start mass production early summer time, which still feels like a long way away. 

It is, you'd think that if they have a treatment they'd go into mass production today instead of waiting a few months.

Sounds to me like they are hoping to have a treatment by early summer, not that they actually have one ready, here and now.

Besides if there was a cure, Trump would have taken credit for discovering it, and he's not done that..........yet.  😄

The Old Tolbooth
2 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

It is, you'd think that if they have a treatment they'd go into mass production today instead of waiting a few months.

Sounds to me like they are hoping to have a treatment by early summer, not that they actually have one ready, here and now.

Besides if there was a cure, Trump would have taken credit for discovering it, and he's not done that..........yet.  😄

I think it's more to do with the red tape surrounding the whole thing, you can't just release a new treatment as it may have dire consequences, which is why they're confident they have one, but might not be able to start producing it until early summer time with the red tape that surrounds these things. 

The things you think of.    I'm a couple of wins away from my highest ever chess rating after 10 years in Internet chess.    Helped by a couple of time-out wins versus a Swedish guy who's stats show he hardly ever times out.   He's dropped 7 timed out games and hasn't been online for 4 days.    Overweight guy per his profile pic.     :(

1 minute ago, Victorian said:

The things you think of.    I'm a couple of wins away from my highest ever chess rating after 10 years in Internet chess.    Helped by a couple of time-out wins versus a Swedish guy who's stats show he hardly ever times out.   He's dropped 7 timed out games and hasn't been online for 4 days.    Overweight guy per his profile pic.     :(

A wins a win.

4 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

A wins a win.

4 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

A wins a win.

2 of 'em.   :)     Cheers 'Bjorn'.

That's what happens when Internet chess players become 'inactive'.    Their rating points sort of feed other players points when their open games time out.    It's like a perverse virtual equivalent of animal matter being put into the ground.

Edited by Victorian

Jambo-Jimbo
9 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

I think it's more to do with the red tape surrounding the whole thing, you can't just release a new treatment as it may have dire consequences, which is why they're confident they have one, but might not be able to start producing it until early summer time with the red tape that surrounds these things. 

I hope they are right, I hope they have a treatment, guess we'll find out in a few months time.

1 minute ago, Walter Bishop said:

It's a 10 minute blood test.   Tests for antibodies to show an immune system response has occured.    You've been infected and you are producing antibodies or did at some point.    It is said to likely be negative until at least 3 days since first symptoms.

1 hour ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

I posted a link yesterday to scientists in Winnipeg who claim they have treatment for this, and will be ready to start mass production early summer time, which still feels like a long way away. 

Ah missed that, well that’s promising but summer seems a long way off at the moment.

14 minutes ago, Victorian said:

It's a 10 minute blood test.   Tests for antibodies to show an immune system response has occured.    You've been infected and you are producing antibodies or did at some point.    It is said to likely be negative until at least 3 days since first symptoms.

Some quite good news in there.Not expecting ICU capacity to breached nationwide it hotspots being overwhelmed ain't great news of course.

NHS Scotland have just sent an email saying all NHS staff over 70 and those with underlying health conditions (in risk categories) are to go home ASAP and will be on full pay. 

Edited by Dannie Boy

fabienleclerq

Drove past leith links and great junction street on the way home from work,  folk just aren't taking this seriously. 

Bit of light relief.

The wife was just on the phone to her pal. Her pal said that she saw her dad going into a store and she had to practically drag him out and take him home. He said to her “It’s alright. I’m staying away from all the auld yins”. The guy is 86.

Maybe doesn’t sound that funny on here but the way her pal said it had me in stitches 😂😂😂

8 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

Drove past leith links and great junction street on the way home from work,  folk just aren't taking this seriously. 

Are you an essential worker, mate?

I worked today. It was for only client I have left so I ignored fact their business is not really essential Imo though their management claim part of it is...Drove by myself, wiped door handles on way in. If anything I left the place cleaner! Haha Since it was confirmed that self-employed are problematic  could be last few hundred quid I earn for a while if the new powers forcibly shut down businesses...even better I only had to be there less than 4 hours.

AlphonseCapone
2 hours ago, Walter Bishop said:

No idea obviously on whether that's likely to be true but it would be absolutely tremendous news if it was and this thing was significantly more contagious than first though. Would mean the death rates and hospitalisation rates are actually a drop in the ocean (with all due respect to those and their families that are suffering). From a population health perspective of course. 

kingantti1874
2 hours ago, Walter Bishop said:

don’t believe it, given incubation period hospitals would have been flooded 2 months ago.  Don’t get me wrong, I hope it’s true because that means we are closer to the end

AlphonseCapone
Just now, kingantti1874 said:

don’t believe it, given incubation period hospitals would have been flooded 2 months ago.  Don’t get me wrong, I hope it’s true because that means we are closer to the end

Or it means severe cases are significantly more rarer than first thought. 

Charles travelled to Scotland on Sunday.

Unless staying in Scotland for national security is he amy dfferent to anyone else getting criticised for travelling?

1 minute ago, kingantti1874 said:

No.    If it's true there was a large percentage of asymptomatic infections then it's possible.    

This could do with serious research and verify / discredit.     If that became an inaccurate belief it would be dangerous.

1 minute ago, DETTY29 said:

Unless staying in Scotland for national security is he amy dfferent to anyone else getting criticised for travelling?

He certainly shouldn’t be. Staff at balmoral are now at risk thanks to him being there. 

So we've tested 82000 people for coronavirus and 8000 have been found positive..... Also at the same time half the population have supposedly had it, seems legit. 

Walter Bishop
It's a tough time for everyone, but there are always reasons to be positive. The incoming antibody tests, the fantastic community response. Panic and fear will only make the situation worse. If Government rules are followed, I'm optimistic we will be back to normal by June.

Just now, Brighton Jambo said:

Antibody tests will only be initially for NHS and essential workers, seems fair enough.

Also allows for further research to find any re-infection rate which is important.

6 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

He certainly shouldn’t be. Staff at balmoral are now at risk thanks to him being there. 

Its fine im sure our local ***** of an MP whos doing all the PR stuff to make himself sound great will tell us its a privilege to have him here. Doesnt give a **** about his constituents unless it suits him....

28 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

It seems to be taken very seriously by some people and ignored by others. I went for my afternoon walk and a young couple with 3 kids gave me a big cheery thank you as I very visibly went out my way to give them a swerve. Then I stopped into Tesco on the way back and people were behaving like idiots. One young guy must have picked up and put down about 10 different packs in the butchers section before settling on what he wanted. Then I got trapped in the booze aisle by 3 of the staff who gave each other no room, and encroached on my space constantly. 

Then to top it off a couple of the till staff were giving each other big cuddles as they swapped over shifts. Eejits.

Nicola came about as close as she dared to publicly criticising Charlie big ears.

After repeating the advice to people not bring your dirty diseases up here with you, she said:

"Obviously, there are people who have homes in Scotland and people will choose to go to those homes."

AlphonseCapone
4 minutes ago, Longshanks said:

So we've tested 82000 people for coronavirus and 8000 have been found positive..... Also at the same time half the population have supposedly had it, seems legit. 

Tbf, the 50% theory relies on there being a significant number of asymptomatic people who'll never be tested. However, I do agree, even considering that, if only 10% of people being tested because they have some form of symptom for something, actually have the virus, the idea 50% in the general population have it is probably wildly out. 

There will be plenty of weapons grade arseholes ignoring the advice.

They are not helping to slow down the spread of the virus or reducing the viral load when infecting others.

But there are also many more people being careful and responsible.

They are helping to halt the spread and reducing the viral load on people who do get sick.

Every little bit of slowdown gives the NHS more time to deal with their current cases and to move ahead with research into possible vaccines or better treatments.

20 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Jug eared twat.

11 minutes ago, sadj said:

Its fine im sure our local ***** of an MP whos doing all the PR stuff to make himself sound great will tell us its a privilege to have him here. Doesnt give a **** about his constituents unless it suits him....

The political class is what’s wrong with politics. Out of touch weirdos in all parties. 

Brighton Jambo

An example of how much life has changed.  I heard that today the PM had Chris Whitty and Patrick Vallance with him and I thought ‘oh good, the big dogs today.

two weeks ago I hadn’t heard of either of them and I now I am pleased when they get wheeled out.  Changed days....

Whitty just said the NHS will basically be Guinea pigs on the antibody test as they need to get data on the accuracy rate of the test.   

Stay in your house to break the transmission of Covid-19 only go out if you REALLY need to. It’s that simple at the moment. 

Jambof3tornado
21 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Antibody tests will only be initially for NHS and essential workers, seems fair enough.

Hooray. Do I get a free roll of aprons too, since we've been told to use what we have sensibly!!!!

2 minutes ago, Dannie Boy said:

Stay in your house to break the transmission of Covid-19 only go out if you REALLY need to. It’s that simple at the moment. 

It’s simple until you add in the complexity and different priorities of everyday life and individuals. Then it becomes anything but simple. 

Edited by GinRummy

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic