Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, kingantti1874 said:

Agree, doesn’t make the country any less ****ed so people are right to be annoyed 

Absolutely. But the anger is universally directed at the individuals.

kingantti1874
3 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Absolutely. But the anger is universally directed at the individuals.

Not sure I agree, but there are some individuals out there simply not doing what they are asked. We are all losing through this, the quicker we get rid of this the quicker we go back to normal.. 

scenes like those in London drag it out for everyone

The Mighty Thor
5 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Right back at you. Sensationalist posting doesn't help anything.

He did above

Going to a construction site to build something that the people who were buying it won't be able to now afford doesn't help anything. That's not sensationalist, thems the harsh realities 

I don’t get why people are going on about mixed signals or having a go at people going to work. Unless you are illiterate the  message is crystal clear  We aren’t on complete lockdown the restrictions were turned up a notch. Until we are on lockdown can we stop having a go at people going out to earn a wage, most I’m sure are trying to stick the advice. 

The evidence so far suggests lots of people,   from all age groups,   don't want to participate in an effective lockdown,   aren't able to participate for reasons of finance or are compelled to continue working due to the nature of their job,   or simply do not understand what's happening.    I can totally sympathise with those who have evaluated the situation and find themselves in a position of having to carry on near normal due to finances or at the fear of their futures.    It's a horrible situation.     The one's who don't yet understand what's happening you can probably never reach with unprecedented announcements.    These people are life's cloud dwellers.    They'll only change their habits when directly ordered by an aware family member or perhaps someone in a uniform telling them to return home or else.     

I tend to suspect our particular society,   as a whole,   will have to be dragged kicking and screaming to the point at which a lockdown becomes what the authorities need it to be.    By which time the poor NHS will have been devoured.

Can anyone envisage our societal collective suddenly becoming aware of the situation?

kingantti1874
19 minutes ago, Dazo said:

I don’t get why people are going on about mixed signals or having a go at people going to work. Unless you are illiterate the  message is crystal clear  We aren’t on complete lockdown the restrictions were turned up a notch. Until we are on lockdown can we stop having a go at people going out to earn a wage, most I’m sure are trying to stick the advice. 

Cases need to get back to near zero before life returns to some sort of normality, that won’t happen until people stop moving for a prolonged period. This is just dragging it out.. frustration is going to build..

I received a tweet from a Chinese guy who said the west lacked the “will” to do what was required to bring this under control. He was sadly right..

Edited by kingantti1874

Tommy Brown
1 hour ago, The Mighty Thor said:

No they really shouldn't. 

Unless you are building a hospital you should be at home. 

The health minister had a shitemare yesterday contradicting Scotland's FM and appearing to give an opening to people who should be at home for their own and others well being.

The economy will still be there in whatever form when this is all said and done, however you might not be. 

Do the right thing, don't be a dick. 

36 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Going to a construction site to build something that the people who were buying it won't be able to now afford doesn't help anything. That's not sensationalist, thems the harsh realities 

You are needing to be clearer, that you at talking about construction workers.

@hughesie27 is thinking you are talking general (as did I at first). he thinks you are having a pop at him, whois an essential worker.

49 minutes ago, GBJambo said:

Bit unfair on key workers who have to go to Work. There is no option for them they have to. Calling them out for potentially killing people! 

That is not what I meant and is a bit out of context given the post I was answering. To be clear though, my opinion is nobody should be going to work unless they provide health or social care or their job is essential to the supply of goods or services that are deemed essential.  Essential is the key word and more clarity is needed by the government. 

4 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Cases need to get back to near zero before life returns to some sort of normality, that won’t happen until people stop moving for a prolonged period. This is just dragging it out.. frustration is going to build..

I received a tweet from a Chinese guy who said the west lacked the “will” to do what was required to bring this under control. He was sadly right..

That's pretty much what I believe.

Governments trying to manage the situation with the bare minimum of controls + individuals not prepared or unable to deal with a new paradigm.    Our society is (was) full freedom to do what you want,  go where you want,   I need to have this thing or that thing and it's my right as a free consumer to have them now,  in any circumstances.   Other people do not have the power or right to tell me otherwise.

It's hard to suddenly convince people that the world has profoundly ceased to exist as it once did.    

11 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

The west lack the ignorance of human rights. 

We could return to a society of freedoms and choice quite soon if people could listen and comply.    But some will not because of an ingrained belief that it should be managed away without their compliance.

56 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

I think there's a significant element of really bad things happen to other people not me going around. We all have a bit of that type of mental block.

But something has to be appreciated about this, it's nothing like flu. Do people seriously think we would be going through the current restrictions for something that was like flu?

This thing can severely incapacitate or kill anybody. Personally I don't currently know anybody who has contracted it. But I was listening to a podcast by a guy called Sam Harris who is a neuroscientist and author. He mentioned a couple of friends of his who were the only people he knew who had contracted it.

Two guys both in their early 30's and superbly fit and healthy extreme skiers. They contracted it on the same skiing trip. One of them is on a ventilator the other in a medically induced coma. Flu doesn't do that to healthy relatively young guys who are fitter than average. It might occasionally randomly but two fit young guys contracting it on the same trip?

Yes it will hit the older and the less healthy harder, we all know that but we also know everything always does. But don't doubt for a minute that this can and will be a serious threat to everybody and anybody.

Spanish flu was a bit like flu and if the outbreak in 1918 had happened today then yes I seriously think we would be going through similar restrictions as the current ones.

Captain Price

I’ll be out delivering e-cigarette supplies to pensioners today. In a time where there is a global respiratory pandemic, I’d consider myself an essential service. 

It’s simply not ok for people who are financially secure enough to sit their house and cast judgement on others who are working.

For many not working could lead to no food on the table or worse homelessness, now think what would you do in that situation?

Yes it’s dangerous and yes it will prolong this horrible situation with more people out but the government simply has to step in now and let these people go home and know the can eat and keep a roof over their heads. To simply say that’s it lockdown no one works and we can’t help is going to create a whole new set of problems that they’re not prepared for.

Stop judging individuals and look to Boris and his crew for the answers. I can guarantee if he pays the self employed the tubes won’t be rammed and we’ll start to see more people stick to the rules.

My mate works for an agency and has been ordered into work or he won't be paid. His wife is at risk of catching this. All his colleagues are self isolating on full pay, but if he does this he's at risk of losing his job.  Not entirely sure what his rights are, makes me thankful that I'm self isolating on full pay as ordered by my employer.

3 minutes ago, Captain Price said:

I’ll be out delivering e-cigarette supplies to pensioners today. In a time where there is a global respiratory pandemic, I’d consider myself an essential service. 

God speed and stay safe.

2 minutes ago, Captain Price said:

Many vapers would simply go back to smoking if they couldn’t source supplies so vape shops and suppliers should be allowed imo. 

23 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

I don’t disagree but people shouldn’t be made out to be villains for following the current restrictions. 

2 minutes ago, Marvin said:

My mate works for an agency and has been ordered into work or he won't be paid. His wife is at risk of catching this. All his colleagues are self isolating on full pay, but if he does this he's at risk of losing his job.  Not entirely sure what his rights are, makes me thankful that I'm self isolating on full pay as ordered by my employer.

Another added complication for people is that they are probably a bit concerned that the normal machinery of workers' rights to help them will be too slow or difficult to access right now.

Fitzroy Pointon

Blew the dust off the laptop and work phone yesterday and made sure they were up to date and working in preparation for working from home.  The boss of the team I work for is currently drawing up a rota for most people working from home with a skeleton staff for the office.  

Left at 4.45 yesterday with no word on working from home.  Turned up this morning to find that my direct boss is dragging her heels on it as I am the only one left in my particular office that is able to do a number of things.  

JudyJudyJudy
2 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

Because the thing thats going to kill a lot of people and raise the mortality rate isn't the disease itself but rather the lack of care that people will be able to receive because of hospitals being overwhelmed by the rapid spread.

Mortality rate is somewhere in the region of 1-3%. That is with our current care system operating at optimal capacity. Fill up the beds and ICUs and that mortality rate goes up.

Bee Stings aren't a high risk of killing people in the UK but if we had a plague of them stinging millions of people everyday then we would likely see more people die from it. Should the government just let that happen because typically a bee sting is relatively harmless?

In a nutshell 👍👍👍

16 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

It’s simply not ok for people who are financially secure enough to sit their house and cast judgement on others who are working.

For many not working could lead to no food on the table or worse homelessness, now think what would you do in that situation?

Yes it’s dangerous and yes it will prolong this horrible situation with more people out but the government simply has to step in now and let these people go home and know the can eat and keep a roof over their heads. To simply say that’s it lockdown no one works and we can’t help is going to create a whole new set of problems that they’re not prepared for.

Stop judging individuals and look to Boris and his crew for the answers. I can guarantee if he pays the self employed the tubes won’t be rammed and we’ll start to see more people stick to the rules.

In that situation I'd go to work. I would accept that I was being selfish though and would likely be criticised by others. But I would just take that on the chin.

It's also not true that those of use at home are financially secure and just dossing around. I'm still working, probably even harder than I was before all of this as that's what the situation demands.

The Mighty Thor
35 minutes ago, Victorian said:

The evidence so far suggests lots of people,   from all age groups,   don't want to participate in an effective lockdown,   aren't able to participate for reasons of finance or are compelled to continue working due to the nature of their job,   or simply do not understand what's happening.    I can totally sympathise with those who have evaluated the situation and find themselves in a position of having to carry on near normal due to finances or at the fear of their futures.    It's a horrible situation.     The one's who don't yet understand what's happening you can probably never reach with unprecedented announcements.    These people are life's cloud dwellers.    They'll only change their habits when directly ordered by an aware family member or perhaps someone in a uniform telling them to return home or else.     

I tend to suspect our particular society,   as a whole,   will have to be dragged kicking and screaming to the point at which a lockdown becomes what the authorities need it to be.    By which time the poor NHS will have been devoured.

Can anyone envisage our societal collective suddenly becoming aware of the situation?

It'll never happen. There will be no collective awakening. 

Sadly our society is one of self-entitlement, where the general rules and laws seem to apply to everyone except them. It's been a trend long before this kicked off. 

Ultimately it's up to the individual. Toy can follow the advice, protect yourself, protect your loved ones, protect those that will potentially end up trying to save your life, or you can bash on as normal cos you're special. 

33 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

I feel that's probably the way this is going to have to play out. If we send everyone back out there before it's isolated all it actually needs is just one infected person to set it all back to square one in a matter of days. 

It takes days at a minimum from infection to symptoms showing. Think how many a single person could infect in that time then think how many all those this person infected could then infect and so on.

I see no way out of this shit storm anytime soon. 

1 minute ago, The Mighty Thor said:

It'll never happen. There will be no collective awakening. 

Sadly our society is one of self-entitlement, where the general rules and laws seem to apply to everyone except them. It's been a trend long before this kicked off. 

Ultimately it's up to the individual. Toy can follow the advice, protect yourself, protect your loved ones, protect those that will potentially end up trying to save your life, or you can bash on as normal cos you're special. 

I sympathise with many who are left with very difficult choices to make.   

I'm in a position where I will hopefully be able to make a choice to profoundly change my wee bubble.    I don't have a lot of reserves but I think I can basically hunker down and become a hermit for up to a year.    I'm resigned to giving up a lot of stuff like my golf membership,   the football,  going out.    None of that is possible anyway.     I'm going to try to play the long game.     It means jacking in having a job and trusting to get one later.     But it's my best shot at staying mentally well.

8 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

I feel that's probably the way this is going to have to play out. If we send everyone back out there before it's isolated all it actually needs is just one infected person to set it all back to square one in a matter of days. 

It takes days at a minimum from infection to symptoms showing. Think how many a single person could infect in that time then think how many all those this person infected could then infect and so on.

That's the thing for me, no one is talking about an exit plan.  What is the end game of all the shutdowns?  

I think we are ****ed until the vaccine arrives. 

Edited by Longshanks

Packed up yesterday.

That's me on lockdown for 3 weeks.

No idea about what hit me or my loved ones might take but I hope it's only financial.

Looks nasty .

7 hours ago, heartstastic said:

Yeah i get that...but why the unprecendented measures for something they don't class as having a high mortality rate? Closing down almost the entire economy for something they took of the danger list 4 days prior does not make sense. Surely once off this list, then this part of the definitions of HCID's is no longer valid.

requires an enhanced individual, population and system response to ensure it is managed effectively, efficiently and safely

Also why not on the news if it's on the goverments own website?

Here is a list of the UK HCID's...there not closing down whole economy's for any of these.

Argentine haemorrhagic fever (Junin virus) Andes virus infection (hantavirus)
Bolivian haemorrhagic fever (Machupo virus) Avian influenza A H7N9 and H5N1
Crimean Congo haemorrhagic fever (CCHF) Avian influenza A H5N6 and H7N7
Ebola virus disease (EVD) Middle East respiratory syndrome (MERS)
Lassa fever Monkeypox
Lujo virus disease Nipah virus infection
Marburg virus disease (MVD) Pneumonic plague (Yersinia pestis)
Severe fever with thrombocytopaenia syndrome (SFTS) Severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS)*

Interesting they have the other Coronviruses on there

Montgomery Brewster
7 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Your correct. 

people need to wake up to the reality that until a vaccine is available / something which treats the disease there will be no return to normality. 

Cheap euro breaks via planes will deffo be a thing of the past as countries will put quarantine rules in place . Better get used to Blackpool or the but and Ben for holidays 😬

Just now, Longshanks said:

That's the thing for me, no one is talking about an exit plant.  What is the end game of all the shutdowns?  

I think we are ****ed until the vaccine arrives. 

That's exactly what crossed my mind last week. There is no exit strategy, it's just let's wait and see what happens. Presumably what will happen is that infection rates will fall if we implement a near total lock down. But that's not a way out if this mess. The virus will still be out there somewhere.

Meant to say,   there was a full page ad in a paper yesterday for holidays of a lifetime to India.   In June.   :D

Montgomery Brewster
3 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Meant to say,   there was a full page ad in a paper yesterday for holidays of a lifetime to India.   In June.   :D

I was there last November. What a country. Definitely go back again in about 5 years no doubt when the flights resume 

4 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

That's exactly what crossed my mind last week. There is no exit strategy, it's just let's wait and see what happens. Presumably what will happen is that infection rates will fall if we implement a near total lock down. But that's not a way out if this mess. The virus will still be out there somewhere.

Then if we do eradicate it, as soon as we start flights again we'll have imported cases and be back to square one.  I just don't get how this ends any time soon. 

11 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Confirms my opinion.of her as an egotistical.self publicist. 

Do you conform to every right wing view? Ever considered just thinking for yourself?

8 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

I've read lots of articles about vaccines and treatments, 12-18 months for vaccines and treatments within the next few months.

What is it you're hoping for?

The lockdown is indeed to try to drop infection rates but that's to ease the pressure on the health services not as an exit plan.

Jambo-Jimbo
11 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

1. This is what we're seeing in Singapore, they were being held up as a model state of how to deal with this, they relax some rules allow travellers back in and bang, just recorded their highest ever daily infection rate, so they've had to re-introduce the shut-down of bars cafe's restaurant etc again, back to square one.

2. Italy didn't even know it had covid-19 until it's first death from the disease, goodness knows where that person got it from but more importantly how many other people he/she had mixed with before they showed any symptoms and then all those other people who they mixed with etc etc etc, you could be talking about several dozen people who were infected travelling all over the world spreading the disease and none of them knew that they were even infected until symptoms appeared, but by then it was already too late to stop the spread.

3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Don't know! What were the flu numbers? Or the people dying anyway, numbers, but have been added to the Coronavirus numbers.

People are doing as they are told, but let's not tell people not to hold an opinion. We need opinion and even an opinion just to spark debate, as we'll soon be talking to ourselves. The Brain needs a wee argument now and then, too.

And people will be bored for a wee while. Anyway there's self-righteousness on here, and that smithee is like a moth to a flame with me. :D

one more thing, these specialists who are fighting this. They should ask JKBs for the 2 hour reading course they do, which makes them an expert in the field of contagious disease and Day to day doctoring. Save them a life time of work and the years of schooling that came before. 👍

Your point about carrying on as normal is reasonable. We don't stop for other things like rta deaths or the flu. 

It will eventually get to that when we have a vaccine and / or better treatments.

For now the choice is to try to contain numbers to give health services a chance to cope and save lives. Already in London they are close to having to let some just die because the numbers are overwhelming facilities.

But yes. Let another 500,000 die (UK numbers only) to let everyone else do what they want and keep the economy going. 

Edited by Mikey1874

4 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Your point about carrying on as normal is reasonable. We don't stop for other things like rta deaths or the flu. 

It will eventually get to that when we have a vaccine and / or better treatments.

For now the choice is to try to contain numbers to give health services a chance to cope and save lives. Already in London they are close to having to let some just die because the numbers are overwhelming facilities.

But yes. Let another 500,000 die (UK numbers only) to let everyone else do what they want and keep the economy going. 

Nothing to do with letting folk do as the want. But let's crash the economy. Cause that's no gonnae kill anyone.

3 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

some people asked, there is now a 6 month extension on MOTs due from 30th March

For motors you can't drive. Or in 5 months and 30 days the virus clears up and everyone dies from a road traffic accident.

Edited by ri Alban

3 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Nothing to do with letting folk do as the want. But let's crash the economy. Cause that's no gonnae kill anyone.

You know the economy will crash anyway? It’s already too late to stop a recession. 

38 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

It is about when lockdown was done. China did it at 30 deaths; UK did it at 300; Italy at 800. 

China has been proved right and Italy proved wrong. Looks like we are going to be with Italy...

49 minutes ago, Taffin said:

In that situation I'd go to work. I would accept that I was being selfish though and would likely be criticised by others. But I would just take that on the chin.

It's also not true that those of use at home are financially secure and just dossing around. I'm still working, probably even harder than I was before all of this as that's what the situation demands.

And that’s the dilemma for many what can they do, they’re worried about their own and their families safety and probably do feel bad but they’ve no choice it’s a horrible situation to be in.

I didn’t say people at home were dossing about mate, I know loads of people who are struggling to balance working from home with normal home life and absolutely bricking it for their jobs if this goes on beyond the 3 month period the government are covering.

I just don’t think it’s right to judge those who are having to work that actually need to do so to survive. If there’s folk out their working when they don’t have too then they rightly need called out and told to get home and stay there.

Francis Albert
11 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

It is about when lockdown was done. China did it at 30 deaths; UK did it at 300; Italy at 800. 

China has been proved right and Italy proved wrong. Looks like we are going to be with Italy...

Do you believe everything the  Chinese regime tells you?

Francis Albert
43 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Do you conform to every right wing view? Ever considered just thinking for yourself?

Voted Labour all my life. Until Corbyn.

Guess where my vote went instead.

Just now, Francis Albert said:

Voted Labour all my life. Until Corbyn.

Guess where my vote went instead.

Liberal Democrat?

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic